Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
also just found out about Barry Electronics in NYC exists so guess what I'm doing next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

your business is our pleasure! your pleasure is our business!

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
Can anyone recommend a SWR meter for 2 meter? Seems like the only options I can find are $10 CB meters or $250 super fancy ones. Trying to troubleshoot a homemade antenna that's not working as well as I hoped.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got the MFJ 2m/440 one thats maybe like 69 bucks? works well enough

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I thought my TM-241A had a dead memory battery, but I just replaced the fucker and it still won't store poo poo. Ah well.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
bump cause I was just talking to coworker whose father in law is a ham and thought about this thrad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
woooo ^5

theres a yaesu 817 on local CL for 500 bucks that im kinda tempted on

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
need 2 get my hands on a HF rig but I don't have time or money to :(

wish there was a uv-5r HF equivalent but there's just not a market for it apparently construction crews and fishermen and poo poo buy the hell out of those baofengs

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

need 2 get my hands on a HF rig but I don't have time or money to :(

wish there was a uv-5r HF equivalent but there's just not a market for it apparently construction crews and fishermen and poo poo buy the hell out of those baofengs

I'm thinking of selling my all-bands rig because my lot is too small and antennas are expensive... But it was given to me by a really good friend so I may just ask if he wants it back.

I'd love a handheld that could do HF but I think antennas would gently caress you over. There is a mobile-sized unit that can do 10/20m IIRC but I forget the name, I know someone in the other radio thread has one.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I think you're talking about IC 706.

I didn't mean uv-5r equivalent in the sense of HT form factor, more in the sense of cheap chinese mass produced thing that's Good Enough to play with

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Are people using DMR for more things beside just digital voice? D-STAR seemed cool from the data transfer abilities but right now I'm not seeing things like that with the MOTOTRBO nets people are setting up

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

nah it is just a digital voice right now but there are some sandbox c-bridges setup where the hard-core DMR guys are experimenting with things.

i've been spending way too much money and time on DMR stuff lately and looking for repeater sites

i really think it's the future, people are selling their dstar radios left and right and buying TRBO stuff.

i also have a cs700 ($185 dmr HT) on the way and will post a trip report if there's any interest

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the trbo boom is weird as gently caress, and its embarrassing that i don't know much besides "you need dsd+ to decode on laptop" given that i used to work for its creator lmao

clue me in on nextgen dijkstra

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

ok here's a huge effortpost, and yeah trbo is really blowing up, there's over 900 amateur repeaters linked to DMR-MARC right now.

DMR primer: http://tinyurl.com/dmr-guide

find a DMR repeater near you: http://www.dmr-marc.net/repeaters.html (probably out of date a little)

Short run-down:

TDMA on 12.5 khz wide channels on the ham bands (mainly 440.) two timeslots per channel meaning a narrowband repeater can hold two simultaneous conversations at once on different talkgroups.

Moto repeaters can also be linked together with something called "IP site connect" (IPSC) which allows talkgroups to span multiple repeaters and even regional networks. these talkgroups are usually on-demand so you just switch your radio to the TG you want and key your mic. if the timeslot for that TG is free (meaning another TG isn't using that timeslot) then you're good to go. other DMR repeater manufacturers have their own linking methodology but any DMR radio will work on any vendor's DMR system (Hytera, Moto, Vertex, etc.) however right now only repeaters from the same manufacturer can be linked together.

most repeaters are linked into a regional net but also have a local TG for ragchewing. these regional nets are also interconnecting worldwide using something called c-bridges. c-bridges are kind of like master talkgroup servers that do nothing but facilitate IPSC on a larger scale (sort of like routers but for talkgroups.) c-bridge software has recently been virtualized so now it can be installed on CentOS at rackspace.com or whatever for $20/month instead of buying the whole piece of hardware and sticking it somewhere.

Right now one of the DMR drawbacks are that the radios are kind of expensive but Connect Systems is changing that. CS has a handheld out that is popular and they are coming out with a mobile as well as another HT that will eventually have open source firmware allowing it to do NXDN, Dstar, DMR, P25 etc.

if you look you can probably find a Gen 1 MotoTRBO mobile for like 200-400 depending on number of channels, power, etc. then you have to uh, obtain the software to program it.

if you live close to a DMR repeater you can just try out a CS700 HT for under $200. programming SW for these is freeware.

on an average DMR repeater here are examples of TG's that might be available:

Local ragchew TG (just that repeater)
Statewide TG (DMR repeaters in the state)
Regional Network TG (all repeaters on the regional DMR system, e.g. DCI, PRN, GA-DMR, NorCAL, etc.)
North America TG (bridged TG spanning multiple regional systems)
WW TG (bridged worldwide)
EMCOMM TG (for skywarn or whackers or whatever)
(couple of others depending on what the system owners want)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo thanks, i'm in. there are 2 in denver 1 in foco. awesome awesome awesome

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

oh yeah poo poo i forgot you moved out there, you're in business. You can probably download a local codeplug for colorado from somewhere no matter which radio you buy.

if you go the CS700 route, call CS directly to order and tell them you're a ham. $180 (plus $5 for the programming cable) is the ham price. (it's $280 normally)

a neckbeard has even recorded a youtube vid showing you how to program a CS700 for colorado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U83hCT5ehdU

if you need help with moto programming PM me

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ok here is the plan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-WAVE-DU...=item2a28b2f010
gonna put this lil guy on a fender mount, opposite of stock fm antenna, so driver's side i think

buy this guy w/ no connector:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/suburban-chevrolet-sierra-pickup-sierra-1185.html

(no drilling)

use my compression tool: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Compression-Crimper-VDV211-048/202102678

on one of these: http://r.ebay.com/BpqFPh (why can't i just buy 1-3 as an add on item, ugh)

to some adapter or w/e: http://r.ebay.com/LktSPW

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
so what dumb thing am i forgetting? am i gonna have to tune this antenna or determine a proper cable length? im just gonna put my uv-5r in and get a speakermic and batt eliminator or smth

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

always be tuning

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you dont have a network analyzer? what are you, a loving poor/??? lmao!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I would add an SWR meter but for now you are good

(the best answer for 70cm/2m right now is the MFJ dual band one. it sucks but its the least stinky turd in the cat box. $70 iirc)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

I would add an SWR meter but for now you are good

(the best answer for 70cm/2m right now is the MFJ dual band one. it sucks but its the least stinky turd in the cat box. $70 iirc)

sweet. ill probably just email the club listserv, im sure someone's got one and would help me out.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
its all ordered. i ended up just paying them $10 to put a sma-f on the end. shouldn't be hard to fish thru the firewall. i hope. never done anything like that before.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah you'll be fine. just dont get mad and yank hard if it hangs up on something

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
this dmr thing sounds really really cool. is there any other primers on it i still feel uneducated about it.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Korean Boomhauer posted:

this dmr thing sounds really really cool. is there any other primers on it i still feel uneducated about it.

pretty much all of the above should cover it. The annoying part is that although the voice part is a standard, there's a lot of vendor-proprietary features right now. The systems are designed primarily for commercial use so the ham things are really bleeding-edge. Also Motorola makes really nice radios but you need software that's really expensive to actually program them and it's pretty much impossible to change things without tethering it to a computer.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
You can see the formations of having a really cool broad implementation of a digital ham net with repeaters/igates that let you grab your radio and bounce voice/data off your local system several years down the line, but until then there's swamp of expensive radios, incompatible standards and half-baked software to wade through.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

one of the wires from the cigarette adapter has already broken off the pcb ugh. I've never soldered before and also I don't have a soldering iron. do I need to buy something expensive online or can I get some el cheapo thing from radio shack/walmart or Amazon I guess?

antenna gets in today, I got the nmo bracket set up already

also I'm gonna remove that onstar module (it's loving analog lol) and replace with a $20 pocket that lower trim packages have that could prob hold and iPhone or smth

e2:
the other side of the board

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 22, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
something to strip the wire and a cheap soldering iron and ur good

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

get some cheap copper braid too, it'll let you clean up that pad and remove the old wire

e: it's usually solder wick

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
sweet. I think we might actually have all that in the cj shop at work. I'll check when I get in

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

get some cheap copper braid too, it'll let you clean up that pad and remove the old wire

e: it's usually solder wick

soder wick

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

americans pronouncing it "sauder" is the dumbest thing

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

spankmeister posted:

is this like sow-na instead of saw-na

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

graph posted:

is this like sow-na instead of saw-na

no it's more like there's "sol" in there that gets pronounced as "saw" which doesn't make any goddamned sense

it would be like spelling solna but pronouncing it like sauna

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

spankmeister posted:

no it's more like there's "sol" in there that gets pronounced as "saw" which doesn't make any goddamned sense

it would be like spelling solna but pronouncing it like sauna

leftenant, add a new entry to my shedule

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

spankmeister posted:

ive never understood this one

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this one doesnt rly make sense either way

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i got a $10 iron and kit from radio shack and some of that braid desoldering stuff I think I'm gonna give it a whack tonight at my desk at work I hope I don't set off a smoke alarm or stink up the building lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

i got a $10 iron and kit from radio shack and some of that braid desoldering stuff I think I'm gonna give it a whack tonight at my desk at work I hope I don't set off a smoke alarm or stink up the building lol

You probably won't set off the smoke alarm but you will stink up your office.

Liquid flux is really helpful for soldering if you can find it...

• Locked thread