Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
But enough talk, start posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Did you know? The average quality of Castlevania games is drastically lower even than the average quality of the Call of Duty franchise, due to the unspeakable combined awfulness of both Castlevania II: Simon's Quest and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

The two awful games in question have generated enough "badness energy" as to completely erase the "quality energy" created by Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the entire DS trilogy.

If one were to factor in Kid Dracula for the Famicom, however, the immense levels of quality energy would, in combination with the unfathomable badness energy of Castlevania 2, destroy the entire solar system.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
someone tell me how to beat the death boss in ecclesia

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hti him over and over again

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

hti him over and over again

how can i kill, whats already death

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

try setting the ds clock forward by strange aeons

Dec 26, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

harmony of dissonance is my favorite

:hfive:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lords of Shadow was a good game.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I can't remember, do any of the handheld castlevanias have a weapon as awesome as yasutsuna in sotn

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Is it fascism yet posted:

someone tell me how to beat the death boss in ecclesia

here's my in depth walkthrough to death.

In summary: use rapidus fio and nitesco.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
you'd think some nerd would have made a decent romhack of SotN by now - there's a billion Super Metroid romhacks out there already

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
not enough maria itt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYTPWAavALg

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

matrix ripoff posted:

you'd think some nerd would have made a decent romhack of SotN by now - there's a billion Super Metroid romhacks out there already

instead there's been someone remaking the game from scratch I'm pretty sure...In Game Maker... I don't know why.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

Lords of Shadow was a good game.

it's actually complete poo poo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i dont like castlevania

I LOVE IT

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

VideoGames posted:

i dont like castlevania

I LOVE IT

This but with more spaces.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

VideoGames posted:

i dont like castlevania

you son of a bitch

quote:

I LOVE IT

:D

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Old Castlevania is Good.

Metroid Castlevania is Good.

Lords of Shadow is mostly Good.

But I also have fun with the blatant dogshit ones so whatever.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mach2 posted:

Did you know? The average quality of Castlevania games is drastically lower even than the average quality of the Call of Duty franchise, due to the unspeakable combined awfulness of both Castlevania II: Simon's Quest and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

The two awful games in question have generated enough "badness energy" as to completely erase the "quality energy" created by Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the entire DS trilogy.

If one were to factor in Kid Dracula for the Famicom, however, the immense levels of quality energy would, in combination with the unfathomable badness energy of Castlevania 2, destroy the entire solar system.

Keep in mind that there are two Kid Dracula games, with one on the Game Boy, but three Lords of Shadow games. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to make the first area a swamp in LoS?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
rondo of blood is the best castlevaina game ever btw

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

That loving Sned posted:

Keep in mind that there are two Kid Dracula games, with one on the Game Boy, but three Lords of Shadow games. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to make the first area a swamp in LoS?

I feel like far too much of LoS was inspired by Simon's Quest, but without the openness. Namely the majority of the game taking place outside the castle, starting in a swampy/foresty area, and the enemies being lovely and taking too long to kill. Also the game being really unbearably bad.

But nah really it's mostly inspired by the worst elements of God of War, like the loving boring block pushing puzzles, ill-advised "platforming" segments, and nonstop QTEs.

I still hold that the Kid Dracula games are so good that they negate the fuckawfulness of even the LoS trilogy.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

darealkooky posted:

agreed friend, it has good graphics and music

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

darealkooky posted:

truth

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Going back and playing the original Castlevania is a chore, and is something that people should only do if they want to be a video game historian or whatever.

gently caress you!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZ5XZHIDh0

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

It was hard as poo poo, but at least you didn't have to get whip upgrades or item II and III pickups, and you could recollect an item if you got a new one by mistake.

Super Castlevania IV improved the whip and platforming but kept the lovely items, while Rondo of Blood kept the lovely whip and platforming while making the items a whole lot more useful. They're pretty much tied for best Castlevania, but Rondo edges it out by having awesome CD music, sprites that they kept using decades later, and the ability to wreck poo poo as a little girl.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i played lords of shadow up until the shadow of the colossus rip-off boss and then i threw it in the fuckin trash where it belongs.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

VideoGames posted:

i dont like castlevania

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

romanowski posted:

i played lords of shadow up until the shadow of the colossus rip-off boss and then i threw it in the fuckin trash where it belongs.

The game has 2 really lovely opening chapters that climax with the terrible second SoTC ripoff but after that its pretty fun. It tries a lot of stuff and not all of it works but I appreciate the fact that its pretty varied and it has a lot of content.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

phobo posted:

Has there ever been a good 3D castlevania? It seems like all the 2D ones are decent and the 3D ones are dog poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FcggcigiuI

Throwdini fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 22, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

Rondo of Blood kept the lovely whip and platforming while making the items a whole lot more useful.

I dunno I feel like with the backflip move and being able to leap onto stairs the platforming and whip in rondo are fine. It's pretty methodical but your whip is a pretty decent size of the screen without being hilariously huge like in 4, and all the enemies/levels are designed around your gimp abilities so it's never super annoying.

also it lets you play as maria and show off just how much the games design breaks when you have a character who can move while attacking and jump decently

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

That loving Sned posted:

It was hard as poo poo, but at least you didn't have to get whip upgrades or item II and III pickups, and you could recollect an item if you got a new one by mistake.

Super Castlevania IV improved the whip and platforming but kept the lovely items, while Rondo of Blood kept the lovely whip and platforming while making the items a whole lot more useful. They're pretty much tied for best Castlevania, but Rondo edges it out by having awesome CD music, sprites that they kept using decades later, and the ability to wreck poo poo as a little girl.

Gonna throw out my unpopular opinion here, but Super Castlevania IV was super lovely. It completely made subweapons useless, the level design was pretty bad, and the platforming was often totally loving broken.

Me and two friends did a three-day streaming marathon of Castlevania games, and watching my friend get hosed by Castlevania IV's poor design choices repeatedly was excruciating. Not as excruciating as me having to play Simon's Quest though, obviously.

I can see where it's good, but the negative elements just make it totally pointless to ever choose over Rondo in my opinion. Rondo is just really, really drat good.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

castlevania 4 is very boring. simon belmont is able to destroy all monsters before they can do anything about it. the only way you will die is by falling off stairs

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

castlevania 4 is very boring. simon belmont is able to destroy all monsters before they can do anything about it. the only way you will die is by falling off stairs

Or getting knocked back into a death pit by stupidly-placed skeletons or some poo poo. That game is full of artificial difficulty via luck-based jumps. In the gold area there's a very mild platforming section that ends in a jump that will, invariably, cost you a life due to a two-hit enemy standing on the very edge of the platform you're trying to reach that you can't see until after you commit to the jump. It's such trash.

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

As far as 3D Castlevanias go, I think Lament of Innocence on the PS2 is pretty good. You use your whip for most of the combat, and it's really fun since you can do a lot of combos pretty easily. I also remember the graphics and soundtrack being excellent. The only real issue I have is that a lot of the rooms look the same so the game can get a little repetitive. The other PS2 Castlevania is also decent.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Autumn Angel posted:

As far as 3D Castlevanias go, I think Lament of Innocence on the PS2 is pretty good. You use your whip for most of the combat, and it's really fun since you can do a lot of combos pretty easily. I also remember the graphics and soundtrack being excellent. The only real issue I have is that a lot of the rooms look the same so the game can get a little repetitive. The other PS2 Castlevania is also decent.

Lament is underrated. Not a half bad DMC-style action game, but it's not very Castlevania-esque.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Mach2 posted:

Gonna throw out my unpopular opinion here, but Super Castlevania IV was super lovely. It completely made subweapons useless, the level design was pretty bad, and the platforming was often totally loving broken.

Me and two friends did a three-day streaming marathon of Castlevania games, and watching my friend get hosed by Castlevania IV's poor design choices repeatedly was excruciating. Not as excruciating as me having to play Simon's Quest though, obviously.

I can see where it's good, but the negative elements just make it totally pointless to ever choose over Rondo in my opinion. Rondo is just really, really drat good.

Yeah but SCIV's music blows Rondo's out of the water so that automatically makes it better. :colbert:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FuriousGeorge posted:

Yeah but SCIV's music blows Rondo's out of the water so that automatically makes it better. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NUvBC9cmio

listen to this poo poo and then gently caress off with your garbage opinions

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I'm not really a fan of the 3D castlevanias but the soundtracks are usually good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8EfxAhz8-o

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

darealkooky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NUvBC9cmio

listen to this poo poo and then gently caress off with your garbage opinions

I mean, this is good in a cheesy 80s arena rock sort of way, but it's pretty B-tier Castlevania music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

FuriousGeorge posted:

I mean, this is good in a cheesy 80s arena rock sort of way, but it's pretty B-tier Castlevania music.

The only particularly good music in IV was the remakes of older songs, and Simon's Theme. The rest was forgettable. Rondo had a killer OST.

E: okay so embedding videos from the Awful app doesn't work for me. gently caress it. http://youtu.be/taqECA20QTg

Mach2 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread