Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced the front left wheel speed sensor:

...only for the lights to all come back on about ten miles later. Good thing I saved the old sensor, so I can put it on the passenger side and hope that fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Nait Sirhc posted:

PO installed a "cold air intake"

This is pretty much what mine looked like when I got it, but mine had a larger filter. The bottom was burned where it was resting on the alternator. I found a decent deal on an AFE intake when I bought some other parts, so I just put that in.

Mine is back at the shop, hopefully for the last time for a while. :homebrew:

AKG Shifter install
PS Leak / Cooler
Rear diff leak
replace rear passenger caliper bleeder and bleed brakes

Probably more, but we'll see.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Afe intakes aren't worth full price but if you can find one used they sound really nice. In my 99 you can hear the induction noise with the windows up.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

Afe intakes aren't worth full price

Definitely. They are bar-none the best cheap & easy mod for e36, though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
They are even better when you don't pay for them because a PO put them on the car. :v:

(my '99 E36 M3 has a carbon-fiber Dinan cold air intake)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

It's not awful. If it's your first time add an hour to an hour and a half to whatever time estimate given. Replace the oil line to the VANOS while you're in there.

Noeland posted:

A quick google search would be your friend. Its a fairly common leak. Time taken depends on you, but if you gather all your tools before and spray any dubious looking bolts the night before, it shouldn't take all day. Pelican parts has a step by step pictorial here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...Replacement.htm

hmm. ok. still kind of nervous but I'mma give it a shot. Thanks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hello friends. Does anyone have any ideas of painting these.

Same as my m3 friend Alan or different?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gold vinyl wrap.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Glow in the dark topcoat over bass boat sparkly green.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Whatever you decide, please let it be with sprinkles.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

I replaced the front left wheel speed sensor:

...only for the lights to all come back on about ten miles later. Good thing I saved the old sensor, so I can put it on the passenger side and hope that fixes it.

Well poo poo, abs and trac lights still on. E39 540I, 2000, what's my next step? I assumed it wasn't one of the rears since my cruise and speedo still work.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bape Culture posted:

Hello friends. Does anyone have any ideas of painting these.

Same as my m3 friend Alan or different?

Put a shadowline grille in the window and do the exposed CF box, and it would look OK.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Well poo poo, abs and trac lights still on. E39 540I, 2000, what's my next step? I assumed it wasn't one of the rears since my cruise and speedo still work.

Well if it's anything like my e46, it's time to get the codes read by someone with the appropriate reader. If you're lucky it will be a failed pressure sensor connected to the control module. If you're unlucky, well, prepare your wallet/butthole for a new control module.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Check out the slant of the noses from gen to gen.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Does BMW not sell Alpina cars in North America outside of the B7 for fear of competing with the M cars?

I had a chance to briefly drive a B3 when I was in Europe and its a really nice car. It's like a slightly toned down M3 and seems like it would be a much more practical car for me considering it would never see a track and just be an every day driver; plus it can be ordered with xDrive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They probably wouldn't sell well enough. There's no M7 so they can sell an upgraded 7 series as the B7. If they were to sell the B3 or B4 people would be all "what's the difference between this and the M3 and M4?" They wouldn't get new customers, they would just take customers from the M cars and move some to the B cars.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, that's what I figured.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cojawfee posted:

They probably wouldn't sell well enough. There's no M7 so they can sell an upgraded 7 series as the B7. If they were to sell the B3 or B4 people would be all "what's the difference between this and the M3 and M4?" They wouldn't get new customers, they would just take customers from the M cars and move some to the B cars.

Of course if they did bring over the Alpina family, it might get some of the rich morons looking for a status symbol out of the M-cars (which would allow BMW to get them back on their old course somewhat) and into something a bit more to their taste.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Anyone have any experiences with e23s? I've heard bad things about the auto air. It would be a cruiser/daily.

I have a couple of backup cars, I like working on cars, and I can't find anything else I particularly like.

The thing is it is black so I would NEED the AC to work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Car shipper mailed me this earlier:

She'll be here so soon.....

of course with a few months downtime I don't actually expect it to run and will be spending October getting her purring and putting hella shine on.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Get it converted to canned air for your refrigerant and if you can't get the ac to work reliably, I'm sure you can make a toggle switch to the low side sensor and make something work.

I think the 5 series of that era shares some poo poo. Worth looking into... Either way beater 7 = best 7

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

AKG Shifter install

Update: This thing is awesome.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
While in Germany for Oktoberfest, I dragged my wife out to BMW Welt, and it was pretty amazing. Probably the most frustrating bit was the N52 engine on display had the three stage intake with actuators installed. My wife said no to dissembling it for "souvenirs".

The cars were amazing. The photos are all on my camera, I'll upload some later.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Get it converted to canned air for your refrigerant and if you can't get the ac to work reliably, I'm sure you can make a toggle switch to the low side sensor and make something work.

I think the 5 series of that era shares some poo poo. Worth looking into... Either way beater 7 = best 7

Beater7 is still going strong. I had it waxed/buffed today, and goddamn, Black Sapphire Metallic looks AMAZING.

Need to get the M roadster's wheel/tire situation figured out and then I'll get it buffed up too... Arctic silver!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Thread-wide reminder to treat any BMW e38 & above like an electronic device. Any random computer issues you have, unplug the battery for 31 minutes and it'll probably go away.

GOD drat CANBUS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nm

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 24, 2014

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
this is what shiny black sapphire metallic looks like!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Speaking of treating BMWs like electronic devices, I definitely want to put a brand new battery in the E39 before I start workin on it.

Do I need to do any special hinky poo poo to keep 12v on the battery line while I switch? I can hang it off of a 12v adapter or something if it means dodging a $300 "battery reset" dealership computer button pushing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4682447848.html

540i ... check
manual ... check
$2900 ... check

I really need to stop cruising craigslist. Buying a 15 year old BMW would be a terrible mistake.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Buying a 15 year old BMW is pretty much the same as buying a 4 year old BMW. Put a new cooling system in and step on the gas.

That's a decent deal if you can turn a wrench.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jonny 290 posted:

Buying a 15 year old BMW is pretty much the same as buying a 4 year old BMW. Put a new cooling system in and step on the gas.
Until you start replacing suspension poo poo. It's all downhill from there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Window regulators are utter whores to replace otherwise same bmw poo poo applies.

E39s just chew rear tires. Nothing unusual.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jonny 290 posted:

That's a decent deal if you can turn a wrench.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment and turning a wrench is hard in the garage here. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I live in an apartment with a garage and I just removed my diff and half the rear suspension to replace bushings in that garage a couple weeks ago.

Man up. :colbert:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
drat that's a good deal!
I'm having trouble finding non-clapped out 540i 6 speed's for under $5k locally.

I'm starting to think a beater 7 is in my future.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I found a $1600 E38.

What could possibly go wrong? I keep telling the gf I'm going to buy an s class or a 7 series, drive it till it becomes a head ache, rip out the interior, install a roll cage and take it to the dirt track to do cruiser car races. She agrees except that she gets brakes and steering. :getin:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I finally have a definitive answer to the question - does removing options from a tech-heavy car remove weight? My "option box CSL" is shown here with a completely full tank of fuel:

This helps explain why this car is a few seconds faster around the track than the old one, my white 2009 was 3560 on that same scale with a full tank.

A friend's fully optioned (EDC DCT Nav etc) M3 weighed in at 3700 lbs on that scale.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 24, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I found a $1600 E38.

What could possibly go wrong?

e38 transmissions are notorious for fragging badly between 70 and 150k. if it has the original transmission and there are no service docs for the gearbox get ready to have 5 neutrals after a while

that being said i loving want beater e38 now too. thanks, thread. thread.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Have any fellow E90 owners ever had their seatbelt get finicky out of nowhere? The tongue won't go into the buckle unless I depress the red button all the way, then it fits and seems to work normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

e38 transmissions are notorious for fragging badly between 70 and 150k. if it has the original transmission and there are no service docs for the gearbox get ready to have 5 neutrals after a while

that being said i loving want beater e38 now too. thanks, thread. thread.

I'm well aware of them making GBS threads themselves. If there was one thing I could ever make and fabricate on my own is a disptick for them. The transmission isn't a bad unit as long as they are looked after. But this sealed for life poo poo kills em. Plus unless you know if its leaking and have no way to check it kills em too.