Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
A little more drool fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Ville Valo posted:

It's a different model ship, though! None of the T-65s will be in this paint scheme. :byodood:

Real talk, though. That's totally a Headhunter.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Indolent Bastard posted:

A little more drool fodder.

What an amazingly intricate scale model.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Real talk, though. That's totally a Headhunter.

Nope. It's the "next-generation X-wing" which is based on the concept art which the Headhunter is itself based on. :v:

susan
Jan 14, 2013
I gotta be honest; I don't really get why people are going crazy over the leaked SW set pictures. Internet: "Click here to see what the Millenium Falcon looks like on the set of the new movies!" Me: "Wow, it looks... like the Millenium Falcon. It looks like it's always looked. Is it supposed to look different? No? Well then... good."

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

susan posted:

I gotta be honest; I don't really get why people are going crazy over the leaked SW set pictures. Internet: "Click here to see what the Millenium Falcon looks like on the set of the new movies!" Me: "Wow, it looks... like the Millenium Falcon. It looks like it's always looked. Is it supposed to look different? No? Well then... good."

It is reassuring though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

susan posted:

People are hyped that it is a set, not a cgi creation. It speaks of someone who gives a poo poo and might make something worth watching.

Plus nerds are nerds and they love behind the scenes poo poo, no matter how benal.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

susan posted:

That Falcon has interiors, its a complete set. They actually built an entire Falcon insides and all, not just pieces they needed for certain shots.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Nope. It's the "next-generation X-wing" which is based on the concept art which the Headhunter is itself based on. :v:

Yeah I'm hoping we get nice T-65c or d on top of the T-65b we currently have in the game as a result. Don't think it had anything better aside from performance upgrades the same way the US upgrades legacy fighters but maybe we can get cheaper x-wings in our board game as a result.

Imagine if they actually made an Ewok pilot in the movie :allears:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

susan posted:

Because it's the hype cycle that fandoms are so rigorously molded into. "Leaked" by a media agency.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's funny that people accept these leaks as real leaks when most of the time you see leaks they are blurry poo poo that shouldn't happen with HD camera phones in TYOOL 2014. Like I would believe that you'd have this quality of leaked pics taken from a plane or heli flying by lol

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Why not use spoiler tags in a thread that isn't the Star Wars episode 7 thread, like the dude who originally posted the leaks

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Focus should be usable for either offensive or defensive purposes, but not both. You should have to decide when you take the marker--deciding your "focus" as it were.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But...the ability to choose either is what makes focus even a choice. If you had to choose either, target lock and evade would just be the default choices. Target lock gives you a whole .5 reroll instead of .25 on a focus and evade just straight up gives you a free 1.0 die.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

alg posted:

Why not use spoiler tags in a thread that isn't the Star Wars episode 7 thread, like the dude who originally posted the leaks

Because nobody else here is so goddamn uptight that somebody might ruin the suspense of *STUR WURS*

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

But...the ability to choose either is what makes focus even a choice. If you had to choose either, target lock and evade would just be the default choices. Target lock gives you a whole .5 reroll instead of .25 on a focus and evade just straight up gives you a free 1.0 die.

Whereas now, focus is the default choice unless ordnance is in play.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Uh, no, because focus clears at the end of every round. Short term versus long, you can stack target lock and focus for even more hits.

Target Lock also works better on its own with more dice, if I remember right? The threshold between two and three dice has a distinct advantage to target lock on one side and a distinct advantage to focus on the other, speaking purely offensively.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Focus is the best choice if you don't know where you're shooting because it's so versatile
Target Lock is the best choice when you know who you're shooting because you might end up getting to keep it until next round
Evade is the best choice when you really don't want to die or know you won't have a shot

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Played my first round matchup for the Team Covenant Open today, and somebody was streaming it with commentary. My ZZZZZ list with ALL THE MISSILES, vs Kath, a Bounty Hunter, an an Alpha. Check it out if you like, I'm the Matt player.

http://www.twitch.tv/blairbunke/b/571146451

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
So to make sure I've got this right; after doing a red maneuver and get a stress token you can still attack right? You just can't move or use an "action" like Evade or Focus until you make a green move? A stubborn friend read the rule book and took it to say after you get a stress token you can't perform any action which in his mind means anything and everything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LoG posted:

So to make sure I've got this right; after doing a red maneuver and get a stress token you can still attack right? You just can't move or use an "action" like Evade or Focus until you make a green move? A stubborn friend read the rule book and took it to say after you get a stress token you can't perform any action which in his mind means anything and everything.

Attacking is not an action. The Perform Action step (which is what you skip) happens immediately after you move, in the activation phase. Attacks happen in the combat phase.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Right. The rule book says something like "you can't perform a maneuver or any action" and he was taking it too literally. I tried explaining that Actions were their own separate thing but like I said he's pretty stubborn.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.
I'm going to a 110 point tournament later tonight, and I'm having trouble choosing between these two lists:

Han - with Falcon title, and 3P0
Wedge
Ten Numb

or

Chewie - with Falcon title, Draw Their Fire, and 3P0
Wedge - with Swarm Tactics
Ten Numb - with Veteran Instincts

Both lists come out to 110 points exactly, which means I probably won't ever have initiative, but I feel like the high pilot skill will make up for that. The first list feels more aggressive, and the lack of things like ST and Draw Their Fire means that they can spread out if need be. The second list offers a lot of synergy between the ships, and Chewie can make the already durable B-wing even more durable with Draw Their Fire, but they'll need to stay close to each other, and I always have a hard time not bumping my own ships when I try to fly in formation. Thoughts?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

I'm going to a 110 point tournament later tonight, and I'm having trouble choosing between these two lists:

Han - with Falcon title, and 3P0
Wedge
Ten Numb

or

Chewie - with Falcon title, Draw Their Fire, and 3P0
Wedge - with Swarm Tactics
Ten Numb - with Veteran Instincts

Both lists come out to 110 points exactly, which means I probably won't ever have initiative, but I feel like the high pilot skill will make up for that. The first list feels more aggressive, and the lack of things like ST and Draw Their Fire means that they can spread out if need be. The second list offers a lot of synergy between the ships, and Chewie can make the already durable B-wing even more durable with Draw Their Fire, but they'll need to stay close to each other, and I always have a hard time not bumping my own ships when I try to fly in formation. Thoughts?

I would take that first list and rejigger it:

Han Solo (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
C-3PO (3)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)

Dagger Squadron Pilot (24)
Advanced Sensors (3)

Total: 110

This way, you are at 110, you cover Whisper with Han, and Wedge is re-rolling some dice. Ten Numb is way overpriced, the Dagger with Advanced Sensors is super solid.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

LoG posted:

Right. The rule book says something like "you can't perform a maneuver or any action" and he was taking it too literally. I tried explaining that Actions were their own separate thing but like I said he's pretty stubborn.

You can't perform another red maneuver; if you try to, your opponent gets to select your maneuver instead. Realistically, all you miss out on is your next action(s), until you perform a green maneuver. The rule book is really clear about what is an action - they have their own phase, and attacking isn't part of that Perform Action phase. Your friend is the type of person I refuse to play games with. :saddowns:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know if this is true across the board, but my FLGS said they are only getting a small allotment of Rebel Aces. Might be worth checking with your FLGS to make sure they will have a copy for y'all.

Crudeboy
Jun 1, 2010
Well, I'm happy to say that it looks like there's been a bit of a X-Wing resurgence at my local store. We had our first official "X-Wing Night" tonight with about ten people. Tonight also marked two special milestones for me: I actually hit something with missiles, twice in a row even, and made some pretty big dents both times at that. Second, for the very first time I actually won a damned game. I just got in one game tonight, with the organizer, and ended up stomping him pretty soundly with a list I just hurriedly threw together at the last minute. I'm not embarrassed to say that I felt pretty gangsta.

The store also had a bunch of tournament swag just collecting dust, so everyone took home a few promo pilot cards. So that's pretty keen.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's really good. One of the stores I play at recently found a collection of previous year's gear they haven't used yet. It is a good way to catch up with nice promos that are often used. Wedge, oversized Han, and old tokens are nice even though we're getting new focus variants this winter. I'm up to 5 shield bags which I'll be selling for the next several waves. :3:

In other news, I'm almost done painting my destruction of Alderaan mural on top of my falcon. What should I paint on the bottom just as a sweet Easter egg/ falcon destroyed bonus? I'm not that great at freehand but should be able to make simple designs.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Is it worth getting the TIE Advanced just for Squad Leader? I'm not a huge fan of the ship which is why it's the only one I don't have (apart from the Tantive IV). I wouldn't mind trying it out but at least once though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

That's really good. One of the stores I play at recently found a collection of previous year's gear they haven't used yet. It is a good way to catch up with nice promos that are often used. Wedge, oversized Han, and old tokens are nice even though we're getting new focus variants this winter. I'm up to 5 shield bags which I'll be selling for the next several waves. :3:

In other news, I'm almost done painting my destruction of Alderaan mural on top of my falcon. What should I paint on the bottom just as a sweet Easter egg/ falcon destroyed bonus? I'm not that great at freehand but should be able to make simple designs.

arghh we started doing "casual" leagues (raffle tickets based on games played/won) at my store. shields are the only thing I don't have, I played a ton of games and got raffle tickets in there, 4 bags of shield tokens went out to new players when they did the drawing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

arghh we started doing "casual" leagues (raffle tickets based on games played/won) at my store. shields are the only thing I don't have, I played a ton of games and got raffle tickets in there, 4 bags of shield tokens went out to new players when they did the drawing.

I'm glad they at least went to a good cause. I know of some scummy LGSs that would've pocketed the better promos to sell on eBay but thankfully I don't think they've caught on to x-wing popularity and stick to doing that to magic cards until wizards stops sanctioning them. I think I will end up keeping 2 bags cuz that should be enough for anybody. BBBB only uses 20 shields but who knows if there will be a way to pack even more.

E: this also reminds me of when I remember whining about stores charging too much for tournaments and here we are finding old promos all over the place. I'm just glad the stores here are now charging only $5 entry instead of $10 when it wasn't as popular. Same prizes, albeit tougher matches, and more interesting builds.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 25, 2014

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Heading to my first out of town tournament today and I'm thinking I'll bring

[44] Whisper + VI + FCS + Gunner + Advanced Cloak
[37] Soontir Fel + PtL + Stealth + Royal Guard + Shield
[18] Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charges

I know I'm spending a lot on the two elite pilots, but I really wanted the decked out Whisper and at least a 33 point Soontir with PtL and Stealth, but that left me a weird 23 points to fit something in at. Rather than take crappy baby Interceptor or one of the named Fighters, I figured a cheap Bomber and a more survivable Soontir would be a better idea. I could have always done a Lambda, but they aren't really my style and I don't want to copy the Nationals winner list too closely. Wish me luck!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

smashthedean posted:

Heading to my first out of town tournament today and I'm thinking I'll bring

[44] Whisper + VI + FCS + Gunner + Advanced Cloak
[37] Soontir Fel + PtL + Stealth + Royal Guard + Shield
[18] Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charges

I know I'm spending a lot on the two elite pilots, but I really wanted the decked out Whisper and at least a 33 point Soontir with PtL and Stealth, but that left me a weird 23 points to fit something in at. Rather than take crappy baby Interceptor or one of the named Fighters, I figured a cheap Bomber and a more survivable Soontir would be a better idea. I could have always done a Lambda, but they aren't really my style and I don't want to copy the Nationals winner list too closely. Wish me luck!

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009
Could I get an honest critique of this list? http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/129067/xxb-opportunists

Essentially I'm aiming to cascade dice rolls by shooting first with Wes to strip tokens, shooting next with Porkins to either trigger opportunist or strip more tokens, then shooting HLC with Farlander to roll 5 dice and use the stress as a focus, at range 3, hopefully also target locked. I feel like it's a little fragile at 3 ships, but the heavy dice rolls are certainly there and the list seems to function decently with the loss of any one of the ships. The idea behind porkins is that eating the stress will allow him to stick into formation and hopefully Farlander can drop the stress on a focus roll between 5 dice. I don't expect to have porkins stick around for very long between the 5 health and using his ability. I've also thought about switching Porkins out to a really defensive biggs but I want to have farlander shoot last to maximize use of opportunist. What do you guys think?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wes with Swarm Tactics makes Biggs shoot first.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

I won 3-0! I can post battle reports anyone is interested, but the short version is that Soontir and Whisper were unkillable death machines. I think the most damage either of them took was 1 shield lost off Whisper in game 2.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

smashthedean posted:

I won 3-0! I can post battle reports anyone is interested, but the short version is that Soontir and Whisper were unkillable death machines. I think the most damage either of them took was 1 shield lost off Whisper in game 2.

Did you play any Hans with initiative or VI?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Played a game last night and played against a guy flying an E-Wing with Predator. At the end of movement phase he locked on to one of my TIE Fighters in range 1 so combat goes like this?

He rolls 4 attack dice, gets 1 hit, 1 eye, 2 blanks
Rerolls the blanks with Predator, gets 1 eye, 1 blank
Rerolls all 3 non hits with target lock and rolls 3 hits.
I defend 1, take 3 damage and blow up.

That can happen every round?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

LoG posted:

Played a game last night and played against a guy flying an E-Wing with Predator. At the end of movement phase he locked on to one of my TIE Fighters in range 1 so combat goes like this?

He rolls 4 attack dice, gets 1 hit, 1 eye, 2 blanks
Rerolls the blanks with Predator, gets 1 eye, 1 blank
Rerolls all 3 non hits with target lock and rolls 3 hits.
I defend 1, take 3 damage and blow up.

That can happen every round?

A die can only be rerolled once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I knew I was missing something. No wonder it felt unfair.

• Locked thread