Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Just re-watched Pan's myself, forgot how much I liked it.

Go give it a looksie.

So of course Kiki’s Delivery Service was adorable. Good movie, but it does have some problems.

Miyazaki knows how to make a movie appealing to a young watcher; start the story with the protagonist leaving home. It’s a tried and true trick and it is effective. The problem, though, is that Kiki had no reason to leave home except that “witches leave home when they’re 13” it’s not as though she went off to some unique training facility or anything. Kiki essentially drifts around until she all but finds surrogate parents who are kind enough to take her in.

It’s in this way where the movie falls down a bit. Kiki has to rely on a lot of kindness to ultimately find her way, and though she is a kind and hardworking protagonist, the appeal of “leaving home” is about the only dream I’m seeing being realized her.

I like to think that when I have kids of my own someday, I’ll have a compendium of movies ready for them to watch as they grow up. So far, every Ghibli movie I’ve seen will go on that last, but I’m not sure about this one. It’s not as though I’d dissuade a child from watching it, but I’m not really sure what the message was supposed to be.

This felt a lot like a film where nothing happens. Miyazaki has shown (mainly through Totoro) that he is certainly capable of putting out a film with a minimal plot, but there’s just not as much here. I think for a film to be as minimal as Totoro, the focus has to be on relationships between characters. Totoro works because, there’s so much going on with the protagonists’ family. Kiki is, in many ways, an attempt at being the ultimate coming of age story, which means that the support falls somewhat by the wayside, and though we do get glimpses into some minor relationships that Kiki is a part of, they aren’t substantial enough to carry interest throughout the film.

Of course, the art direction was beautiful as is expected, and the film is certainly watchable, I guess I just have come to expect more.

Still good.

8/10

1. The Blues Brothers - Interested, not much else to say though.

2. The Purple Rose of Cairo - More Woodie!

3. *NEW*Notorious *NEW* - More Hitchcock!

4. Poolhouse Junkies - Looks like fun.

5. The Last Starfighter - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

6. Rebel Without A Cause - I know that Fry from Futurama is based off of Dean's character (or at least his look). I also know it's classic and even though I'm over 90 movies in the shame seems endless.

7. Sherlock Jr. - Keaton has yet to disappoint me. The General actually brought me to tears. More please.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. Gojira - I just saw the new one, and I loved the hell out of it. I'm really really interested in going back to the origin of this franchise.

10. Ashes and Diamonds - There was some kind of list of famous director's favorite movies. A lot of directors I liked listed this and I had never heard of it. Let's go!

93 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm so glad I finished in time to recommend Gojira to you. Enjoy

Terminator wasn't too bad and actually had my full attention for the duration. I can't imagine the Terminator being played by anyone but Arnold, the part seems tailor made for him. I don't know how true it is, but I heard OJ was actually considered for the part?

I've been told the sequel is worth a watch, so I might check that out soon.

I also watched Suspiria the other night which was fantastic. If any of you are composing "30 days of October, 30 horror movies" list, I would suggest this one if you haven't seen it .

1. Once Upon A Time in America - The run time is intimidating, but with Leone directing a cast like that...
2. Pandora's Box - Don't know much about it
3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
4. Moonrise Kingdom - Never seen any Anderson, so I think I'll start here
5. Under The Skin - Another modern film I keep seeing mentioned in the horror thread. The trailer makes it seem similar to Beyond The Black Rainbow. I'm game.
6. Blade Runner- Another 80's hit that I missed.
7. Fort Apache - I'm stealing this one from TrixRabbi's list
8. Red River - I don't consider myself a fan of Westerns, but I can't say I've seen too many I didn't enjoy
9. Cat O' Nine Tails- Next up in the Argento 'Animal' trilogy
10. Robocop - I'm maybe the only '80s kid' to miss this and Terminator

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War, Gaslight, Make Way for Tomorrow, M, The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, Nashville,Miracle in Milan,Cinemania, Young Mr. Lincoln, Videodrome, Argo, Ace In The Hole, The Big Heat, Assault on Precinct 13, Terminator

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

6. Blade Runner- Another 80's hit that I missed.

Try the directors cut or the final cut.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I don't know how true it is, but I heard OJ was actually considered for the part?

Yes, that's true.

Jurgan posted:

Shoah's not really a single narrative, though, is it? I gather it's a collection of testimonies. In that case, it's easy enough to break it up in pieces, just watch an hour a day or something, and think of it as a mini-series. I don't know, for me it's the thought of having to watch it all at once that's intimidating, but I can marathon a TV show because I know I can get to a stopping point if I have to.

I'm not sure what kind of flow it will have but I don't have much issue breaking up any film. It just seems like watching it will be a booster shot of negativity that may evoke an ultra high-level of cynicism and misanthropy in me.

caiman posted:

Zogo, you get Chungking Express. Be prepared to have "California Dreamin" stuck in your head for the rest of your life.

The Mamas & the Papas have a deep and impressive discography but they sure burned that track into the ground in this film.

Chungking Express - It has a style of its own and it's kind of free-form in the way the story unfolds and with some of the camera effects (both slowed down and at other times sped up and blurry). The plot kept me guessing which is almost always a good thing.

Loneliness and isolation seem to be the two strongest aspects that came out. Two different police exhibit this by treating household objects as people and also obsessing over cans of pineapple. They pine for love and go through protracted situations that ultimately end up nowhere.

There's also dual narration that takes place at times which isn't too common.

Also a Chinese cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSkUh8dn-sI

Procrastination (141 completed):

#127 Breaker Morant - Heard this referenced before. 4/30/14

#134 Underground - Never seen a Emir Kusturica film but I've heard good things. 5/17/14

#140 Steel Magnolias - Flowers made out of metal. 7/6/14

#144 Love Story - A transparent title. 8/12/14

#145 Gertrud - High on the TSPDT list. 8/12/14

#147 Deathdream - Heard this was the quintessential Vietnam film in some ways. 8/12/14

#148 Hard Boiled - I was reminded about this again. 8/19/14

new #149 Weekend - Another one on some lists. 9/14/14

James Bond versus Godzilla:

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) (98/100 completed):

#85 A Night at the Opera - Another Marx comedy. 8/30/14

#90 Swing Time - Another comedy. 8/30/14

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Seeing as how it's been on your list for a good four and a half months, let's go with Breaker Morant.

So Good Will Hunting was definitely as good as I'd been lead to believe. I don't have too much to say other than it just an all around excellent movie with solid writing and performances and great and believable chemistry between the cast, especially Matt Damon and Robin Willams. The film was also funnier than I anticipated too, with quite a number of scenes getting pretty good laughs out of me.

1. 21 Jump Street - Didn't get around to seeing it when it came out, but love Lord and Miller's work on both Clone High and The Lego Movie.

2. The Avengers - I actually went to see this in a double feature at a drive-in across the border from me, but I think the projector light was almost burnt out or something, making the movie virtually unwatchable, so we left fairly early on, and I just haven't gotten around to picking it back up since.

3. This is the End - Piqued my interest and I heard all around good things when it came out but just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

4. Inglorious Basterds - Currently only have Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained under my belt for Tarantino, so I figured I'd pick this one up next.

5. Fantasia - Considering my inclination towards animation in general, having never seen what is considered one of if not the the most groundbreaking animated films of all time is a definite sore spot on my film record.

6. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

7. Wayne's World - Given my affinity for comedy and rock, it's a wonder I haven't seen this yet.

8. The Social Network - Wanted to check this out for all of the acclaim it got but just never got around to it.

9. The Iron Giant - Technically I have seen this one, but not since I was really young, so I remember virtually nothing about it aside from the fact that I remember enjoying it. I've also seen it commonly regarded as one of the best animated films ever made, so I'd like to watch it again with a more adult mindset.

10. One Hour Photo - Interested in seeing one of Williams' darker roles and heard this is one that he pulls of particularly well.

Deshamed (11): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Trash Boat posted:

7. Wayne's World - Given my affinity for comedy and rock, it's a wonder I haven't seen this yet.
Hunting[/sub]

One of my favorites. Although, I am curious how you will fair not seeing it in the 90s.

In May, I was assigned Aguirre, Wrath of God - Like most of Herzog's narrative works that I have seen, I did not like it very much. I like his documentaries, however. There is something almost self-indulgent in his narrative pieces that make them less about the film and more about the filmmaking process. I don't care about the unnecesary struggles he put his cast and crew though. And, for all that toil, I didn't find the film anymore realistic than had it been shot in Florida. This piece almost felt like a Gilliam for all of its dutch angles and uncomfortable close ups. It just wasn't for me.

Can anyone answer why audio I was supposed to watch this film with? The default was German with English subtitles but they were obviously speaking English. (6.5/10)

From the IMDB Top 250: [Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
From the Netflix Top 100: Captain Phillips (2013)
From the Janus Arthouse Essential Collection: Umberto D. (1952)
In memoriam, From Roger Ebert's Top Films of All Time List: Aguirre, Wrath of God Tokyo Story (1953)
Best Movies of All Time based on the Tomatometer (sigh) Score: Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) (2008)
AFI 100 Years 100 Movies: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939)
List of films considered the best, Wikipedia: Cross of Iron (1977)
The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, NY Times: The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
Best 100 Movies Ever Made, TIME Magazine: Nayakan (1987)
The 500 Greatest Moves of All Time, Empire Online: Andrei Rublev (1969)

Completed Assignments: Mad Max, The Conversation, Tombstone, Diabolique, The Last Picture Show, Fanny and Alexander, Dawn of the Dead, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, Bridge on the River Kwai, Robot & Frank, 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai, City Lights, Spartacus, La Règle du Jeu, Gravity, Mud, Aguirre, Wrath of God

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

York_M_Chan posted:

Can anyone answer why audio I was supposed to watch this film with? The default was German with English subtitles but they were obviously speaking English. (6.5/10)

Yea, some of his films were shot in English and dubbed into German for their initial release. I don't believe the dialogue has been radically changed at any points so it's a matter of convenience or wanting to watch the film as closely to how it was when it was first shown in public.

The first time I watched Aguirre, the Wrath of God I switched between the two spoken languages actually. When I recently watched Fitzcarraldo I just stuck to German even though it's the dub.

York_M_Chan posted:

The 500 Greatest Moves of All Time, Empire Online: Andrei Rublev (1969)

Try this one.

Breaker Morant - Three officers are accused of executing Boers unduly (during the Boer war). It's basically a courtroom film with a lot of flashbacks to the different charges the accused face. It also highlights hostilities between the UK and Australia at times.

I don't have a lot to say about it but what stood out was the extended sequences near the end as two of the men prepare for their own executions as they've been found guilty.

It's mostly dreary and serious but it has a few moments of levity.

Also watched:

Gertrud - This covers the story of another love quadrangle and how three men all push and pull Gertrud in a variety of ways. It didn't do much for me as most of the film is restrained, dull and staid conversation concerning love and infidelity. The conversations are so ramrod and prim and proper that it's like one is sitting in on a marriage counseling class or something.

As time has gone on I've developed a burgeoning aversion to couples arguing on film. If you look around there's tons of films, books, gossip rags on this topic so it sells but I can't seem to muster the interest. Insipid couples arguing in circles about BS for hours only to have the film end with no resolution. Some are enamored with this subject and must get things from it but I don't. The more I see the more I feel like a helpless marriage counselor being tortured.

The look of the film is good however. It has that familiar Dreyer lighting, atmosphere and staging. In that regard I was reminded of Last Year at Marienbad another film that's pristine and impeccable to view but whose story and characters were perplexing and lacking.

With all that said I actually really liked the epilogue which has Axel and Gertrud near the end of their lives discussing mortality and other topics.

Procrastination (143 completed):

#134 Underground - Never seen a Emir Kusturica film but I've heard good things. 5/17/14

#147 Deathdream - Heard this was the quintessential Vietnam film in some ways. 8/12/14

#148 Hard Boiled - I was reminded about this again. 8/19/14

#149 Weekend - Another one on some lists. 9/14/14

new #150 Children of Paradise - The only film in the TSPDT top 60 I haven't seen. 9/16/14

new King Kong vs. Godzilla - Is King Kong flammable? 9/16/14

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) (98/100 completed):

#85 A Night at the Opera - Another Marx comedy. 8/30/14

#90 Swing Time - Another comedy. 8/30/14

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Zogo posted:

#148 Hard Boiled
Always pick the movie with the best poster.

I've been watching too many Lifetime movies and low budget sci-fi in synctube.

1. Brazil - Just never got around to it.
2. Castle In The Sky - Burned out on Miyazakis after watching 3 in February.
3. La Dolce Vita - It's long and I didn't love La Strada.
4. L'Age d'Or - I've skipped all the French Bunuels.
5. Nashville - Musicals should be cartoons with anthropomorphic animals.
6. Nosferatu - Vampire movies are usually dumb.
7. Onibaba - That mask is creepy.
8. Psycho - The only Hitchcocks I've seen are Rope and Spellbound.
9. Wild Strawberries - I loved The Seventh Seal but never followed up on it.
10. Wings of Desire - This movie shares blame for that Goo Goo Dolls song.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

8. Psycho - The only Hitchcocks I've seen are Rope and Spellbound.

The horror is tame by today's standards, but it's still a great film.

I've lurked in this thread long enough, time to join the fun.

Annie Hall - Diane Keaton dresses like a dude, that's all I really know about this film.
Some Like It Hot - I've never watched any Marilyn Monroe, I probably should remedy that.
Spirited Away - I guess I'm afraid this is going to be like pokemon or dragon ball z.
The Sting - I think I've avoided this film because I was forced to play The Entertainer on the Hammond organ for anyone who stepped into our house in the mid 70's.
Yojimbo - I liked the Seven Samurai, am I in for more of the same?
Metropolis - I enjoy silent films, just never got around to watching this.
On the Waterfront - haven't watched any young Brando.
Gone with the Wind - Frankly, my dear(I'm hillarious!) I haven't the patience to sit through it.
Sin City - I've heard terrible things about the sequel, I guess I should see why everyone liked the original.
Amélie - Seems like this is on everyone's list!

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

TipsyMc posted:

Sin City - I've heard terrible things about the sequel, I guess I should see why everyone liked the original.

It's a ridiculously violent crime anthology uncanny in its faithfulness to the source material with the best possible casting. The main draw at the time was the visual style of an all-CG environment and that Tarantino was directing one scene.

The sequel was a dud as it's more or less a prequel of various yarns from the first film.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
You need to post a list of your own so someone can pick which movie you get to watch.. Unless you were just commenting on Sin City. In that case nm.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

Sin City - The visuals were outstanding. Really loved the comic book feel. Everything about the style, colorization, mood was fantastic. But, I just couldn't get into any of the storylines. I'm not a big fan of film noir, so that probably had a lot to do with it. Plus, Jessica Alba never got naked, so that was a disappointment.

6.5/10

Annie Hall - Diane Keaton dresses like a dude, that's all I really know about this film.
Some Like It Hot - I've never watched any Marilyn Monroe, I probably should remedy that.
Spirited Away - I guess I'm afraid this is going to be like pokemon or dragon ball z.
The Sting - I think I've avoided this film because I was forced to play The Entertainer on the Hammond organ for anyone who stepped into our house in the mid 70's.
Gone with the Wind - Frankly, my dear(I'm hillarious!) I haven't the patience to sit through it.
Dr. Strangelove - I've been meaning to watch this...Kubrick is hit or miss with me.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Go with Spirited Away. I don't think you'll really have to worry about any Studio Ghibli's films falling into the pratfalls of traditional anime, and in fact, I'm pretty sure sure that Miyazaki has stated that he doesn't consider his films as such (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this).

As York_M_Chan pointed out, Wayne's World definitely feels like a movie that could have only existed as it did in the early 90's, much in the same way that Beavis and Butthead did (revived series notwithstanding). I don't mean that in a bad way bear in mind, and found it to be a very funny and quotable movie all around. I found the soundtrack to be really solid as well, particularly the original covers performed by Tia Carrere.

1. 21 Jump Street - Didn't get around to seeing it when it came out, but love Lord and Miller's work on both Clone High and The Lego Movie.

2. The Avengers - I actually went to see this in a double feature at a drive-in across the border from me, but I think the projector light was almost burnt out or something, making the movie virtually unwatchable, so we left fairly early on, and I just haven't gotten around to picking it back up since.

3. This is the End - Piqued my interest and I heard all around good things when it came out but just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

4. Inglorious Basterds - Currently only have Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained under my belt for Tarantino, so I figured I'd pick this one up next.

5. Fantasia - Considering my inclination towards animation in general, having never seen what is considered one of if not the the most groundbreaking animated films of all time is a definite sore spot on my film record.

6. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

7. The Social Network - Wanted to check this out for all of the acclaim it got but just never got around to it.

8. The Iron Giant - Technically I have seen this one, but not since I was really young, so I remember virtually nothing about it aside from the fact that I remember enjoying it. I've also seen it commonly regarded as one of the best animated films ever made, so I'd like to watch it again with a more adult mindset.

9. One Hour Photo - Interested in seeing one of Williams' darker roles and heard this is one that he pulls of particularly well.

10. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - The film I know the least about in the original trilogy going in, though still a solid conclusion to the story from what I understand aside from a few missteps (namely the Ewoks).

Deshamed (12): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 20, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Trash Boat, you get Inglourious Basterds because it loving owns

I just finished Eyes Wide Shut. I'm really not sure what to make of this movie. The orgy sequence was incredible, masterful filmmaking. I'm fairly sure this is intentional, but everything before and after that sequence just feels kind of underwhelming, aside from the scenes at the costume shop. I don't like how neatly it wrapped up at the end and how on the nose that last scene was, and I'm not sure I'll ever revisit this movie, but I certainly don't regret watching it. It's certainly an interesting film.

The List:

1. City Lights: I've never seen a Chaplin movie, or even a silent movie.

2. Memories of Murder: I made it 10 minutes into this once and realized I was going to fall asleep so I stopped

3. Throne of Blood: Kurosawa doing MacBeth sounds dope

4. Sunset Boulevard: I bought this on DVD like 8 years ago and it's still in the shrink wrap.

NEW 5. Barry Lyndon: This is my Kubrick slot now

6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie.

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

9. The Hudsucker Proxy: This is my Coen slot now

10. The Artist: I saw 10 minutes of this once and rolled my eyes pretty hard at it but I should probably give it another chance.

Watched (53): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho, Singin' in the Rain, Witness for the Prosecution, Se7en, The Wild Bunch, Oklahoma!, Cool Hand Luke, Paths of Glory, The Night of the Hunter, Blood Simple, Eyes Wide Shut

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym you get Memories of Murder

The Magician(1958) dir. Ingmar Bergman
With Max von Sydow, Ingrid Thulin, Gunnar Björnstrand, Naima Wifstrand

When 'Vogler's Magnetic Health Theater' comes to town, there's bound to be a spectacle. Reading reports of a variety of supernatural disturbances at Vogler's prior performances abroad, the leading skeptical townspeople request that their troupe provide them a sample of their act, before allowing them public audiences.

A very dark and pretty looking film, mixed in with comedy and drama of which I'm not sure it worked as well as it did in other Bergman films. It's all over the place really, not really flowing naturally into one and another, giving the film a feel of working on a timetable. Here's a funny scene, now a dark brooding scene, now a horror one. Eventually the funny bits seem to distract from the serious parts, and so on. Many of it's individual parts are a massive joy to watch, and this is one neat group of characters matched by it's perfect casting, but it just wasn't there as a whole.

While the film's plot pits science against magic, it's heart seems to be turned more into the art of performing and it's use of fakery. The story is a group of traveling magicians trying to woo/trick an audience. Has a touch of the auto-biographical with Sydow's master magician Vogler standing in for Bergman himself, and also incredibly self-critical as Bergman at some point does peal away the mystique and character of his own avatar. Takes some guts to pull it out. I'm still not sure what to think of the final scenes though. 72(Good)

I think that this would make an interesting companion/double feature to Welles F for Fake, even if Welles film is far better and that he actually pulls a trick on the audience while Bergman cheats his way to it. Couldn't quite shake the comparison when the film got going.

SHAME Part III Director's Cut:

I Vitelloni More Italian films that Scorsese has spoiled for me.

To the Wonder Catching up on my 2013 backlog

2046 Almost completing Kar Wai Wong

Sonatine Yakuza film, haven't watched a thing by Kitano

The Unknown Known Not sure if I can stomach this creep like I did Mcnamara in Fog of War

Week End Godard

Witness for the Prosecution Wilder and Christie

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button This looks dumb

Youth of the Beast Silly name but more Seijun Suzuki

Have watched so far 62 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond, The Sting, Romeo + Juliet, Bronson, The Magician

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Electronico6, as usual I've never even heard of anything on your list, so you get 2046 I guess!

The Fly: a cautionary tale on the hazards of drinking in the lab. Jeff Goldblum's fundamental Goldbloom-ness made him a great awkward scientist turned weird monster thing, and Cronenberg brings his best body horror to the fore. I have to say I was surprised to see the transformation be as slow and subtle as it was.

My Shame List:

1) Rio Grande: Another Ford/Wayne western for the western slot. (added 12/7/13)

2) La Dolce Vita: 8 1/2 was good. How about another Fellini? (added 1/4/14)

3) Galaxy Quest: Star Trek in all but name? (added 1/4/14)

4) Birth of a Nation: Continuing the "know thy enemy" series. (added 3/11/14)

5) Night of the Hunter: Don't know much about this beyond the knuckle tattoos. (added 5/5/14)

6) Stalker: Solaris is growing on me the more I think about it. Let's try another Tarkovsky. (added 6/30/14)

7) Eyes Wide Shut: Kubrick is a pretty cool guy. (added 7/7/14)

8) First Blood: Not what you'd expect from a Rambo movie, apparently. (added 7/20/14)

9) Scarface: The inspirational story of a small businessman who prospers in spite of Big Government regulations. Or something. (added 7/20/14)

10) Evil Dead 2: I've only seen Army of Darkness from this trilogy. I hear I'm missing out. (added 9/20/2014)

De-Shamed (51) [Top picks in bold]: The Thing, Casino Royale, Blue Velvet, Metropolis, Unforgiven, The Rock, Jurassic Park, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Shining, Videodrome, Inglourious Basterds, Battleship Potemkin, Con Air, Mulholland Drive, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Taxi Driver, Prometheus, Pan's Labyrinth, 8 1/2, Casino, Starship Troopers, The Big Lebowski, Nosferatu, Oldboy, 12 Angry Men, Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Exorcist, Ed Wood, Face/Off, Koyaanisqatsi, Kung Fu Hustle, Jacob's Ladder, Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Unbreakable, Lost Highway, Man with a Movie Camera, The General, Dog Day Afternoon, Forbidden Planet, Solaris, Triumph of the Will, Total Recall, The Graduate, Chinatown, Children of Men, Days of Heaven, Rocky, The Long Good Friday, The Fly

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

Nolanar - Galaxy Quest has been on your list for some time, go for it.

Spirited Away - Fantastic, really trippy animation. Nightmare inducing creatures, how did these guys think them up? I enjoyed it quite a bit, so very different from western animated films.
8/10

My hit list:

Some Like It Hot - I've never watched any Marilyn Monroe, I probably should remedy that
Once Upon A Time In The West - Not a huge fan of westerns, but this is so highly thought of I should check it out.

Dr. Strangelove - I've been meaning to watch this...Kubrick is hit or miss with me.

de-shamed: Sin City, Spirited Away

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

TipsyMc posted:

Eenie meenied this one for you.

-

The Maltese Falcon

Obsession and Greed are the two overarching themes of this by-the-numbers noir classic. The largely sidelined police detective characters seem to be the only ones that motivated by something other than the priceless artifact, mostly because they are completely oblivious to its existence. That's quite a statement in and of itself, but every other character either wholly abandons their morals in the search for it, or is heavily tempted by it. This movie has a lot to say about what we're willing to compromise for petty ambitions or trinkets that we ourselves attribute worth to. For that I can see why this movie is so highly regarded.

As a modern viewer however, I have to say the whole film is extremely predictable. The fight scenes are pretty laughable by today's standards, and these supposedly professional criminals are so easily and so consistently disarmed by the protagonist that you could make a drinking game out of it. These drawbacks don't take away from the overall experience though, Humphrey Bogart turns in an incredible performance and exemplifies the best parts of the now cliche fast-talking, sardonic, plays-by-his-own-set-of-rules Private Investigator. I was engrossed from start to finish.

Also here's an awesome and extremely meta TED-style talk Mythbuster's Adam Savage did back in 2008 about obsession and The Maltese Falcon that originally turned me on to the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SopXQfc_s

-

2. If... - Heard Malcolm McDowell got his start in this, not too familiar with 60's era British film.

3. Casablanca - Ranked one of the greatest American films of all time. I have foreign friends that list this as their favorite film. Truly the most shameful movie on my list.

4. East of Eden/Rebel Without a Cause - James Dean.

7. Gone With the Wind - Classic Civil War film. Sign me up.

8. The Smartest Guys in the Room - I studied pyramid schemes in college and I'm still not entirely sure what the gently caress happened with Enron. Interested in anything concerning Crime and Punishment.

9. Paths of Glory - All you had to say was The Wire and I'm sold.

10. Neon Genesis Evangelion - I realize this is a TV/movie series, gonna start with the first reboot film. Loved the hell out of Xenogears and I hear this covers a lot of the same Freudian/Jungian/Nietzchean concepts.

11. Solaris (1972) - Saw the George Clooney remake, heard this one was a much better movie and more handily explored the book's philosophical quandries.

De-Shamed: The Maltese Falcon, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Raid, House of Sand and Fog.

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 22, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The two guys Spade regularly disarms are professional criminals, but are hardly tough guys. One's a kid and the other is Peter Lorre.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The two guys Spade regularly disarms are professional criminals, but are hardly tough guys. One's a kid and the other is Peter Lorre.

Good point, what was Gutman thinking hiring guys who can't hold onto their weapons and are repeatedly knocked out in a single punch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anybody can be tough with a gun in their hand. Spade's repeated dressing down of the kid is making a point about Sam Spade; he's seasoned, unimpressed by "tough guys", knows how to size people up, knows that getting the drop on someone, etc, trumps standing around with a scowl on your face. The kid is even wearing a suit that's too big for him to try and look more impressive. Lorre is a slimy dandy of ambiguous allegiance. He's quite serious about his obsession with the Falcon but isn't really committed to hurting anyone. It's not really a story about Sam Spade being seriously imperiled and I think it comes off well. I think a lot of times people expect a noir hero to be like Mike Hammer, who at times is just a seething, obsessive brawler, but Spade is more like Sherlock Holmes, spending more time rolling cigarettes and pondering over riddles rather than getting into bar brawls.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody can be tough with a gun in their hand. Spade's repeated dressing down of the kid is making a point about Sam Spade; he's seasoned, unimpressed by "tough guys", knows how to size people up, knows that getting the drop on someone, etc, trumps standing around with a scowl on your face. The kid is even wearing a suit that's too big for him to try and look more impressive. Lorre is a slimy dandy of ambiguous allegiance. He's quite serious about his obsession with the Falcon but isn't really committed to hurting anyone. It's not really a story about Sam Spade being seriously imperiled and I think it comes off well. I think a lot of times people expect a noir hero to be like Mike Hammer, who at times is just a seething, obsessive brawler, but Spade is more like Sherlock Holmes, spending more time rolling cigarettes and pondering over riddles rather than getting into bar brawls.

I was commenting more on the choreography but yes, Spade does give off that impression. The kid is an interesting character, only 20 years old but already a stone-faced hired killer (though quick to anger). Gutman mentions he's like a son to him, which implies he's had him under his wing for a significant amount of time and either saw the potential and/or warped him into a tool to serve his needs.

It's unsettling to think of how many other people Gutman's used up and tossed aside considering he's been looking for the falcon for as long as the kid has been alive.

Though oddly he seemed pretty unfazed upon learning the falcon was a fake. Maybe this isn't the first time? Perhaps the chase is his true obsession, rather than the falcon itself?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, they allude to that a couple of times and Gutman's near-amusement at that revelation seals it. It's almost like "ah, of course! See you in Tangiers, then..."

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

speshl guy posted:

3. Casablanca - Ranked one of the greatest American films of all time. I have foreign friends that list this as their favorite film. Truly the most shameful movie on my list.

I wouldn't be doing my job not recommending this, also my favourite of all time. Enjoy!

The Deer Hunter
Well, it took over 2 months but I finally got around to finishing The Deer Hunter. I needed to stop it after the first act of the film back in early August, and with being best man in a wedding and TIFF in the way, I was able to watch the rest tonight. Because it was such an abrupt change from one act to the next, it made for a pretty easy return and yet a jarring welcome back to Cimino's film. At first I felt the beginning of the film was far too long (and maybe it still is?), but when I realized it wasn't about Vietnam, it all came together nicely. Much of the film is spent before & after the war, and the effects war has in comparison to life before. We spend a great deal of time with our main characters Michael (De Niro), Stan (Cazale), Nick (Walken), Linda (Streep), and Stephen (Savage), with extended sequences and long takes allowing the film to breathe, giving us the chance to immerse ourselves in what they're going through. And man is it ever brutal. It's devastating. Crushing. Hard to watch at times. You could make the argument of self-indulgence in those long takes and a somewhat-cheap score to the point of cheap manipulation, but there's way too much greatness here to overlook that. Some amazing performances all around - especially from De Niro.

LIST

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (2014.06.29) - This has had enough praise and appeared on enough lists that I feel I need to see it. I know nothing about it.

Amour (2014.02.22) - I've had two festival opportunities squandered due to film print damage. I've waited long enough!

Charulata (2014.06.25) - I keep hearing great things and I really liked The Music Room

Harakiri (2014.06.03) - I've heard so much praise given to this film lately that I feel left out. I wanna join in on the conversation!

Holiday **oldest** (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add around this time of year.

The Innocents (2014.06.16) - with Criterion announcing it's release today, it's about time I get the dust off my DVD copy and finally watch it.

Jack Goes Boating (2014.02.17) - it took Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing to make his only directorial effort a higher priority.. for me, pretty drat shameful.

The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (2014.06.01) - more Archers is never a bad thing as I've loved The Red Shoes & Black Narcissus

School of Rock (2014.07.15) - this list needs some lightening up.. and I want to finish the Linklater filmography.

The Wind Will Carry Us **new** (2014.09.23) - more Kiarostami, please!

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), Million Dollar Baby (3/5), Akira (5/5), Lone Star (3/5), Barry Lyndon (2.5/5), Dr. Strangelove (5/5), Leon the Professional (3/5), Arsenic and Old Lace (4/5), The Searchers (2/5), Playtime (4/5), Star Wars: Episode III (3.5/5), The Player (3.5/5), A Few Good Men (3.5/5), Murder on the Orient Express (3/5), The Deer Hunter (4.5/5), [Total:81]

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

friendo55 posted:

Amour (2014.02.22) - I've had two festival opportunities squandered due to film print damage. I've waited long enough!

Amour is great with a much deserved Oscar nom for Emmanuelle Riva.

The Sting

For some reason I thought this film would bore me, but it was actually a very entertaining (Ha!) film. Paul Newman and Robert Redford share top billing, but this is really Redford's movie and he delivers one of his best performances. Robert Shaw (one of my favs) steals some scenes as the mob boss they are out to cheat.

8/10

My hit list:

Once Upon A Time In The West - Not a huge fan of westerns, but this is so highly thought of I should check it out.

City Lights - Chaplin's classic, I can't believe I haven't seen this yet.

de-shamed: Sin City, Spirited Away, The Sting

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TipsyMc, you get Yojimbo which is awesome.

2046(2004) dir. Wong Kar Wai
With Tony Leung, Li Gong, Faye Wong, Ziyi Zhang and Maggie Cheung

The women who enter a science fiction author's(Tony Leung) life, over the course of a few years, after the author loses the woman he considers his one true love.

A, sort of, direct sequel to the excellent In the Mood for Love, and together with the not so great and very early career film Days of Being Wild, they form up a trilogy of sad romance and love lost. Besides the usual leading man Tony Leung, and some returning faces from the two previous films, you also get Faye Wong from Chungking Express, and a several touches and notes from Happy together, Fallen Angels pops here and there. Also the odd wuxia reference. With all of the style and ticks usual to his films let completely loose, the film passes almost as a career retrospective. Wong Kar Wai Greatest Hits.

The narrative is all broken up in episodes, each detailing the encounters and re-encounters of Leung's character with three(four) women, some told out of chronological order, some told trough Leung's stories of futuristic trains and (loving) androids. Not all of it is of the same quality, and the end result is fair to say is somewhere on the messy side, but I really enjoyed the effect of it all. With all those soft colours, neon lighting, slow motions, and floaty camera, all that back and forth and quick editing gives it a nice dizzy feeling. 85(Great)

The Unknown Known Not sure if I can stomach this creep like I did Mcnamara in Fog of War

Week End Godard

Ivan's Childhood I'm ready for more Tarkovsky now

Have watched so far 63 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond, The Sting, Romeo + Juliet, Bronson, The Magician, 2046

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Only one I've seen from your list.

Hard Boiled - It's got some of the same aspects found in Infernal Affairs and The Departed but it has way more action and gun fighting. Some of the main characters are seemingly bulletproof for most of the film. Overall there was too much shooting IMO.

It was clever to have a lot of action take place in a hospital and maternity ward.

Also watched the last two from AFI's 2007 list and it kind of ended with a dud and a fizzle:

A Night at the Opera - I haven't connected with the Marx humor thus far. Repetitive gags, word jokes recycled for five minute segments and bland pop culture references of the time. It reminds me of Family Guy (which I find more annoying than funny).

It was interesting to learn that all references to Italy were irrevocably removed so as not to offend sensibilities during WWII.

Swing Time - It's been said that Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers displayed great technical dancing here but it didn't evoke much from me. The plot involves another pretty straightforward love triangle. I wasn't quite sure what would happen as things kept oscillating between the three parties.

I don't have much to say about this one either. I guess I didn't like any of Lucky's brothers as they sabotaged his original wedding as well.

Procrastination (144 completed):

#149 Weekend - Another one on some lists and Larry Charles favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEXLUCLY2E 9/14/14

#150 Children of Paradise - The only film in the TSPDT top 60 I haven't seen. 9/16/14

new #151 Rodan - I should probably see this before getting too deep into the Godzilla series. 9/25/14

new #152 Switchblade Sisters - Quentin Tarantino has championed this film in recent years. 9/25/14

new #153 Silver Linings Playbook - There's a scene where a guy throws a book out a window. 9/25/14

King Kong vs. Godzilla - Is King Kong flammable? 9/16/14

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Zogo posted:

new #153 Silver Linings Playbook - There's a scene where a guy throws a book out a window. 9/25/14

I read the book Bradley Cooper throws out the window, I had almost the exact same reaction to the ending so that scene had me on the floor I was laughing so hard.

-

Casablanca

Pleasantly surprised to see Humphrey Bogart, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre all together again having just watched them fighting over the Maltese Falcon a few days ago.

I absolutely loved this film. It does a great job of capturing the social dynamics of Nazi-occupied Europe in a microcosm by setting almost the whole movie in a bar owned by Rick, an American, who by no coincidence considers himself a neutral party to the conflict because of his compunction over a great loss in his past. There is a lot going on under the surface of this film. The war is going on, sides are taken, but in the end we're all only human. Slave to desires and implicit morals that are beyond our ability to reason with or control. Humphrey Bogart knocks it out of the park again, the man simply oozes charisma.

As a product of it's time it certainly won't be passing the Bechdel test, but I'm willing forgive it this by virtue of the fact that this might be the greatest love story I've ever seen. Can't believe I've waited this long to watch it.

My new favorite movie.

-

2. If... - Heard Malcolm McDowell got his start in this, not too familiar with 60's era British film.

4. East of Eden/Rebel Without a Cause - James Dean.

7. Gone With the Wind - Classic Civil War film. Sign me up.

8. The Smartest Guys in the Room - I studied pyramid schemes in college and I'm still not entirely sure what the gently caress happened with Enron. Interested in anything concerning Crime and Punishment.

9. Paths of Glory - All you had to say was The Wire and I'm sold.

10. Neon Genesis Evangelion - I realize this is an anime TV series, gonna start with the first reboot film. Loved the hell out of Xenogears and I hear this covers a lot of the same Freudian/Jungian/Nietzchean concepts.

11. Solaris (1972) - Saw the George Clooney remake, heard this one was a much better movie and more handily explored the book's philosophical quandries.

12. The African Queen - More Humphrey Bogart please.

De-Shamed: Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Raid, House of Sand and Fog.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

speshl guy posted:

12. The African Queen - More Humphrey Bogart please.
Boat movies are always good.

Psycho - A
Everything about this is great. I knew all the important spoilers but had no idea this would be a caper movie for 30 minutes. Marion's escape is surprisingly tense even though she obviously has to get by the cop and survive the rainstorm to reach the motel. There are a lot of camera tricks and cuts used for distortion and hiding the killer's face, but they come off as reasonable ways to shoot the scene instead of distracting. All those Principal Skinner jokes are much funnier now.

Brazil - Just never got around to it.
Castle In The Sky - Burned out on Miyazakis after watching 3 in February.
La Dolce Vita - It's long and I didn't love La Strada.
L'Age d'Or - I've skipped all the French Bunuels.
Nashville - Musicals should be cartoons with anthropomorphic animals.
Nosferatu - Vampire movies are usually dumb.
Onibaba - That mask is creepy.
Wild Strawberries - I loved The Seventh Seal but never followed up on it.
Wings of Desire - This movie shares blame for that Goo Goo Dolls song.
Raging Bull - I've seen the Homer Simpson version.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest you can continue to increase the joke yield of The Simpsons with Raging Bull

Witness for the Prosecution(1957) dir. Billy Wilder
With Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton, and Elsa Lanchester

Leonard Vole(Tyrone Power) is arrested on suspicion of murdering an elderly acquaintance. He employs an experienced but aging barrister(Charles Laughton) as his defense attorney.

Might be one of the more plain and modest directed films by Wilder I seen so far(I try not to think much of Stalag 17 and Seven Year Itch), but man oh man, it has a killer script, filled with wit, thoroughly engaging and surprising, and there's even a taste of Wilder's cynical dark humour. With a terrific cast going all out, you get two great hours of pure entertainment. There's just no denying a well executed fun film. One thing that did jump to the mind was the constant reminder that the story is set in England. I've read enough Poirot to know the rules and customs of early 20th century British upper class tossers, but the film is always paying attention that this is in fact England, and English law, and English character towards justice, right to the point that they have Charles Laughton go through the entire picture doing a Winston Churchill impression, in body, image, and attitude. All of it eventually clicks in at the ending, where the films shows itself to have a lot more to offer than just witty one liners and Agatha Christie twists. 83(Great)

Week End Godard

The Crime of Monsieur Lange Renoir

Ninotchka Directed by Lubitsch, written by Wilder

Have watched so far 64 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond, The Sting, Romeo + Juliet, Bronson, The Magician, 2046, Witness for Prosecution

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Simply because I haven't seen any if the other films on your list.

Yojimbo - Got about half way through this before I realized I was watching the film A Fistful of Dollars was based on.:doh:
Kurosawa is becoming one of my favorite directors and you can see how much he has influenced Western film makers. I mean look at this shot:

It's genius...

Really enjoyed watching, and learning from this flick.

9/10

My hit list:

City Lights - Chaplin's classic, I can't believe I haven't seen this yet.

The Intouchables - More foreign film fun!

de-shamed: Sin City, Spirited Away, The Sting, Yojimbo

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
TipsyMc please watch City Lights - old but a Chaplin :)

-----------------------

Life of Pi: I don`t like it and can't say why.
On the one side the movie has great pictures, is well filmed from Ang Lee he did movie's like Tiger & Dragon or Brokeback Mountain before, but Life of Pi isn't a movie I like.
On the other side you must know the story he chose is one of two they tell what happened with Piscine Molitor and I prefer the realistical not so romantic and lovely told story, they never written down and only handed down as side note, what happened at the 227 days at sea "wiki link".
Is really boring to say it loud, but It's not my Movie. On the other side I love Robert Redford's "All is Lost" if we talk about lost at sea movies. but life of pi is more as a simply lost at sea movie (maybe it's never only lost at sea right?), it's a romantic with beautiful pictures filled story about surviving and family drama but I prefer the story without all this imaginations animals ...it's too much a dream wrapped in colour full pictures and covered with musik as frosting, for me.

But on the way to do a little bit research for the movie I found a new movie for my shameful list :p so it was no lost time to concern myself with "Life of Pi".

The movie is not wasted time for my opinion, if you watch it.

I give Life of Pi a 5.5/10 rating.

-----------------------

My List:
  1. The King's Speech - this film I wanted for so long even see it but have always forgotten...

2. Red Cliff - schame to me, nothing more to say "NEW in List"

3. Total Recal (remake) – Nothing can top the original

4. Nightmare (remake) - I love the originals! all tasers I saw, a voice wispers "no no no" to me.

5. The Physician - the speech book was good so I have my own pictures in mind no place for
    this movie

6. Big Miracle - Drew Barrymore is great no idea why I missed this movie

7. 47 Ronin - read about the misstakes and trouble to bring this movie on screen, not realy
    interest to see neo as samurai...

8. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - first part wasn't funny, sure the second part too

9. A Madea Christmas - nothing absolutly nothing tops Bad Santa as christmass movie!

10. Donnie Darko - all loved this, no idea if I missed great cinematic entertainment

Shameful Watched (001): Slumdog Millionaire, (002): Life of Pi,

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
XenJ go with The King's Speech

Well, Carlos may have been over five hours long, but I could have watched about three more. It went by that quick I was hooked for every minute of it. Edgar Ramirez delivers one of the best performances I've seen in years as he just owns the screen for all five hours.Also, the level of detail and research that went to this is astounding. Just a powerful examination of terrorism, human nature, and go. One of the better films I've seen for this thread.

1) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville
2) The Godfather 3- first two are masterpieces, but I hear this is a mess
3) El Topo- another experimenatal western
4) Bringing Up Baby- I like early screwball comedies
5) The Red Shoes- everyone seems to love this film
6) The Music Room- never seen a Sanjit Ray movie
7) The Night of The Hunter- Robert Mitchum is great
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) A League of Their Own- I know the famous line, but that's about it. Is this any good?

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Great Dictator, Around The World In 80 Days, Our Hospitality, Rain Man, Thief, Gun Crazy, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, The Act of Killing, Rebel Without A Cause, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Stalag 17, Dead Man, Carlos

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

XenJ go with The King's Speech

Hi thanks for this decision :)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

5) The Red Shoes- everyone seems to love this film

Try this one.

Silver Linings Playbook - It has a fast pace and goes between casual candidness and humorous chaos many times. I found the characters to be memorable but the way some things came together in the story felt a little hard to believe.

The scene where Pat and Tiffany first meet and discuss things frankly was funny. At times they come across as manipulators and other times they seem sad and delusional.
I was reminded of Harold and Maude a few times.

I wish they'd extended this scene longer to include the whole Led Zeppelin song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC4PE0FiLn8

PS The amount of Eagles/NFL references made me think somebody shelled out some cash for cross-marketing.

Also watched:

Deathdream - Richard Backus plays Andy Brooks a soldier seemingly killed in Vietnam only to return as a catatonic pod person. His family gets the "dreaded knock" that nearly 60,000 did at some point during that period. But then Andy mysteriously appears...

The allegory concerning soldiers returning home is apparent and I found it to be disturbing and bleak for the most part (particularly the suicide of the father and the killing of the dog).

This premise may have inspired some aspects of things like Pet Sematary and Hellbound: Hellraiser II. Dead people cheating death and returning damaged and not quite themselves.

I found it interesting because it's a horror film dealing with domestic issues released while the war was still going on.

I've seen 400 films now. Here's my top 5% and bottom 5%.

Top 20:
1. Come and See
2. Johnny Got His Gun
3. Three Colors: Blue
4. Gandhi
5. Sunset Boulevard
6. Vertigo
7. The Wages of Fear
8. The Big Sleep
9. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
10. The Last Picture Show
11. Sholay AKA Embers
12. Once Upon a Time in America
13. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
14. To Live and Die in L.A.
15. Solaris (1972)
16. Roman Holiday
17. Valley Girl
18. The Departed
19. Wild Strawberries
20. Titanic

Bottom 20:
381. Breathless
382. Lost Highway
383. The Social Network
384. Moon
385. Bamboozled
386. Warrior
387. The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
388. Last Year at Marienbad
389. The Artist
390. In Bruges
391. Shutter Island
392. The Great Dictator
393. Gigi
394. Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
395. The Magnificent Ambersons
396. The King's Speech
397. Touch of Evil
398. Monkey Shines
399. The Prowler
400. His Girl Friday

Procrastination (146 completed):

#149 Weekend - Another one on some lists and Larry Charles favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEXLUCLY2E 9/14/14

#150 Children of Paradise - The only film in the TSPDT top 60 I haven't seen. 9/16/14

#151 Rodan - I should probably see this before getting too deep into the Godzilla series. 9/25/14

#152 Switchblade Sisters - Quentin Tarantino has championed this film in recent years. 9/25/14

new #154 Colour It Yellow AKA Rang De Basanti - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. 10/1/14

new #155 The Heart Desires AKA Dil Chahta Hai - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. There must be an echo in here. 10/1/14

King Kong vs. Godzilla - Is King Kong flammable? 9/16/14

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

Zogo posted:

Zogo, I apologize in advance.

So, I watched City Lights last night and I must admit I was dissapointed. After watching The Kid, I thought I was in for a real treat as this seems to be widely regarded as Chaplin's crowning achievement. I did quite enjoy the opening scene with Charlie and the statue, but I felt the rest of the film devolved into not so clever slpastick, especially the scenes with the drunk millionaire. I was also hoping for more scenes with the blind flower girl, which I assumed was the main plot of the story.
Sorry, Charlie!
6.5/10

My hit list:

The Apartment - Stars that famous comedy duo Lennon/McCartney.

The Intouchables - More foreign film fun!

de-shamed: Sin City, Spirited Away, The Sting, Yojimbo, City Lights

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

speshl guy posted:

Casablanca
Can't believe I've waited this long to watch it.

My new favorite movie.

This is great to hear.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

TipsyMc - see Metropolis. It is awesome.

Patton was a really good movie. George C. Scott was incredible in it. The music and the scenery was incredible. I liked that they showed both the good and bad of Patton.

My List:
The Graduate - Only things I know about this movie is Mrs Robinson is seducing someone and Plastics.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

True Grit - The original version. Been a while since a western was on my list.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

Howl's Moving Castle - Need to see some more Miyazaki.

Ran - Heard this is one of Kurosawa'a best, so I am really looking forward to seeing it.

The King and I - 1956 version.

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

The Man Who Knew Too Much - More Hitchcock here. This will be the remake with Jimmy Stewart.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Dmitri Russkie please watch Howl's Moving Castle – because I'm interested to read your review :)

-----------------------

The King‘s Speech
Its a nice movie, well cast, smart filmed and based on a true story.
If you take a look to the actor‘s list and say I can life with that cast, and have no problems with movies that are not lifting from action and beautiful cinematic pictures? Enjoy.
You like good told stories like a slow flowing river? Enjoy this movie.
You hate it or like it, nothing more to say.

The movie is not wasted time for my opinion, if you watch it.

I give The King‘s Speech a 7.5/10 rating.

-----------------------

My List:
  1. The cold light of Day – no idea why I didn‘t wach this movie "NEW in List"

2. Red Cliff - schame to me, nothing more to say

3. Total Recal (remake) – Nothing can top the original

4. Nightmare (remake) - I love the originals! all tasers I saw, a voice wispers "no no no" to me.

5. The Physician - the speech book was good so I have my own pictures in mind no place for
    this movie

6. Big Miracle - Drew Barrymore is great no idea why I missed this movie

7. 47 Ronin - read about the misstakes and trouble to bring this movie on screen, not realy
    interest to see neo as samurai...

8. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - first part wasn't funny, sure the second part too

9. A Madea Christmas - nothing absolutly nothing tops Bad Santa as christmass movie!

10. Donnie Darko - all loved this, no idea if I missed great cinematic entertainment

Shameful Watched (001): Slumdog Millionaire, (002): Life of Pi, (003): The King‘s Speech,

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Go with Donnie Darko. I'm considering adding to my list myself at some point and wouldn't mind reading some Goon opinions on it.

Finally got around to watching Inglourious Basterds (as well as only just now realizing through Alfred P. Pseudonym's post that I had been missing the extra 'U' in the title). The story structure definitely feels like a more linear take on the Pulp Fiction model of multiple interwoven stories rather than one continuous one, both of which were handled really well. Really have to give Tarantino credit as well for using using multiple languages as prominently as he did, which really helped sell the authenticity of the setting. Not sure where I'd rank it relative to the other Tarantino films I've seen, but needless to say, it was really good.

Also rented and watched both One Hour Photo and This is the End about two weeks ago.

One Hour Photo: For as much credit as he received for his comedic and dramatic roles, William's could really pull off a more subdued, villainous role when the film called for it. The film does an excellent job of setting up Sy's character arc, effectively portraying him as both a sympathetic character, as well as a dangerous one who should be rightfully feared once he inevitably goes of the deep end. I also really liked the film's use of photography as a motif and metaphorical device to let us see further into Sy's phyche.

This is the End: Just a very solid and funny movie all-around, and probably my favourite from the Rogan/Franco crew. This could easily been a self-indulgent vanity project for the actors involved, but thankfully that didn't prove to be the case, creating an effective blend of referential and self-depreciating humour. If you're not already a fan of Rogan's brand of comedy then this probably won't change your mind, but for what it was, I really enjoyed it.

My List:

3. Fantasia - Considering my inclination towards animation in general, having never seen what is considered one of if not the the most groundbreaking animated films of all time is a definite sore spot on my film record.

4. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

5. The Social Network - Wanted to check this out for all of the acclaim it got but just never got around to it.

6. The Iron Giant - Technically I have seen this one, but not since I was really young, so I remember virtually nothing about it aside from the fact that I remember enjoying it. I've also seen it commonly regarded as one of the best animated films ever made, so I'd like to watch it again with a more adult mindset.

7. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - The film I know the least about in the original trilogy going in, though still a solid conclusion to the story from what I understand aside from a few missteps (namely the Ewoks).

8. Kill Bill: Figured I'd get both volumes out of the way with one pick considering they were originally intended as a single film and more or less flow into each other from what I understand.

9. Good Morning Vietnam: Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

10. Back to the Future 2: Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

Deshamed (15): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Trash Boat you get Return of the Jedi

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button(2008) dir. David Fincher
With Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton

Tells the story of Benjamin Button(Brad Pitt), a man who starts aging backwards with bizarre consequences.

An exercise in cold emotionless robot cinema. Everything about it is clockwork, factory designed to sell tickets and bag some awards, in the middle of it you have a great director slumming in and indulging himself to technicalities. Brad Pitt under all the makeup and special effects is barely there, the supporting cast are Hollywood stereotypes from the first half of the last century, with even the usual great Cate Blanchett just seems wrong for this film. The only folk who seemed to have a good time doing this were the makeup crew and special effects team. Then again, considering labour practices in the film industry maybe not. But what seals this 'life and times' epic, is it's patented Canned-American folksiness sayings and Hollywood's empty sentimentally, reeking of dishonesty and falseness, pervading in every line and every frame of it's three hours runtime. It would be incredibly offensive if the film wasn't simply dead-boring. 40(Booooooooooo!)

Week End Godard

The Crime of Monsieur Lange Renoir

Ninotchka Directed by Lubitsch, written by Wilder

Withnail & I It came from England

Have watched so far 65 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dancer in the Dark, How Green Was My Valley, Vivre sa Vie, Harvey, The Earrings of Madame de..., The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Drifter, The Player, Intolerable Cruelty, The Insider, Late Spring, Munich, Juliet of the Spirits, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, La Chienne, Le Cercle Rouge, The Lady Eve, Primer, Roma città aperta, Black Narcissus, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Simon of the Desert, A Foreign Affair, Branded to Kill, In Bruges, Black Swan, The White Diamond, The Sting, Romeo + Juliet, Bronson, The Magician, 2046, Witness for Prosecution, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button