Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

arbybaconator posted:

I'm convinced that they are going to roll it into a new itunes streaming service.
If it means iTunes Radio won't repeat songs all the loving time, I'm all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

I'm convinced that they are going to roll it into a new itunes streaming service.

If they do shut it down, I'd say that's the most likely reason.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Apple wants a streaming service, but I doubt they want it branded as Beats.

http://recode.net/2014/09/22/apples-beats-music-brand-may-go-away-apples-beats-music-service-is-sticking-around/

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Suqit posted:

There is this article too.

e: never mind that just sources the same article lol

Both of those articles are citing the same TechCrunch article. Part of TechCrunch's proof is that they didn't install Beats Music as a default iPhone app and they didn't show it on the Apple Watch. Yay tech journalism.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
What's the correct procedure/order/way to activate a new phone and then switch sim cards to change the numbers? I used my wife's line's upgrade to order a new 6. She'll be getting my 5s, and we'll sell her 5.

Should I activate the new 6 as-is, which I guess will make it have my wife's number, then swap the sim cards? Or swap the sim cards before activation?

Thanks for any help; it's been 2 years since I did this (last year I upgraded my line so it was obvious what to do.)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Case chat.

Just got this one in the mail from amazon -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JH88558/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted something really thing and lightweight, basically just to protect from scratches from placing it down on hard surfaces and maybe the occasional drop. Case is super light and fits very snugly and adds little to no bulk to the phone. It's basically just a very thin hard plastic shell for the phone.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Anyone with a 6 know why the GPS is constantly being accessed by the Motion Calibration system service? The GPS icon has been on constantly on my new 6 since I got it and that and Located-based alerts were the only ones that had been accessing the GPS. I turned off Location Based Alerts and the icon is still there, so I'm assuming it's this Motion Calibration thing. Any clues? FWIW: It's not killing my battery, just curious to what it's actually doing.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
iPhone Selling Pricing Questions:

1. My iPhone 5S 64GB AT&T-Locked Space Gray has gotten a couple of offers of $350 on craigslist. I was hoping for a little more - am I asking too much?
2. If I wait another 10 days and get it factory unlocked, generally speaking how much more value would that add?

Thanks!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I was looking at an iPhone 6 in the Telus store, and I can't figure out how "reacability" works. Doubletapping the home button just brings up the multitasking menu. Is reachability a 6+ only feature?

I don't think I'd have problems using it, the size looks pretty great to me. I'm just genuinely curious how to access that feature.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Snuffman posted:

I was looking at an iPhone 6 in the Telus store, and I can't figure out how "reacability" works. Doubletapping the home button just brings up the multitasking menu. Is reachability a 6+ only feature?
Make sure you're "touching" or "tapping" but not "clicking" the home button.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

Debating selling my 5S and Mini for the 6+. It seems like it's big enough to enjoy movies on, which is mostly what I use the mini for.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slap Happy posted:

Debating selling my 5S and Mini for the 6+. It seems like it's big enough to enjoy movies on, which is mostly what I use the mini for.
The 6 is great for movies so I assume the 6+ would be even better at that.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

dexter6 posted:

iPhone Selling Pricing Questions:

1. My iPhone 5S 64GB AT&T-Locked Space Gray has gotten a couple of offers of $350 on craigslist. I was hoping for a little more - am I asking too much?
2. If I wait another 10 days and get it factory unlocked, generally speaking how much more value would that add?

Thanks!

That's like 16GB prices on swappa:

http://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-5s-verizon/us

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's been several days and iTunes still doesn't want to put my music onto my iPhone 6. I'm half tempted now to just return it to Apple for a refund and go back to my 5. I was hoping a full reset and reinstall of my stuff would've been enough to make it work.

Have you called Apple Care yet? They might be able to help and you're within your free support window.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If it means iTunes Radio won't repeat songs all the loving time, I'm all for it.

iTunes Radio is useless anyway with no unlimited skips. Even as an iTunes Match subscriber my skips are limited. I don't get the point of it at all, I'm all for music discovery but that should include, you know, being able to skip stuff that you don't like when it comes up...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So double tap home for reachabilty. Why does the tap have no other functionality? Seems dumb.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

So the iPhone 6 and the 6+ support faster charging with a 2.1A charger (which are included with the iPad):

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-and-6-plus-faster-charging/

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Mest0r posted:

So the iPhone 6 and the 6+ support faster charging with a 2.1A charger (which are included with the iPad):

I could swear my 5 charges faster using my ipad charger.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FishBulb posted:

So double tap home for reachabilty. Why does the tap have no other functionality? Seems dumb.
Are you asking why single tap doesn't have functionality?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mest0r posted:

So would something like this let me take advantage of that?

(First search result for "2.1A Charger" on Amazon.)

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 22, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Mest0r posted:

This is good, my superior iPhone 6 Plus charges so slowly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

randyest posted:

What's the correct procedure/order/way to activate a new phone and then switch sim cards to change the numbers? I used my wife's line's upgrade to order a new 6. She'll be getting my 5s, and we'll sell her 5.

Should I activate the new 6 as-is, which I guess will make it have my wife's number, then swap the sim cards? Or swap the sim cards before activation?

Thanks for any help; it's been 2 years since I did this (last year I upgraded my line so it was obvious what to do.)
It might only make a difference if you have 2-Factor Authentication turned on (and you should), since when I tried activating my 6, the servers weren't sending them to iMessage quickly, so I had to get a text, which was a bit of a pain. This probably won't be the case now. Other than that, just make sure not to let it sign iMessage into your wife's phone number if you choose to activate prior to swapping SIMs.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 22, 2014

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So would something like this let me take advantage of that?

(First search result for "2.1A Charger" on Amazon.)

It should, the charging rate is regulated by the device being charged even if the wall charger is reportedly faster.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This is good, my superior iPhone 6 Plus charges so slowly.

I think I've read that you can get a full charge out of the 6+ in two hours, so 6+ users should definitely seek out a faster charger then the one that came in the box.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Apple includes a phone charger that doesn't charge my phone at its full speed potential? Charge-gate.

(I'm sorry)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I charged my 6 on Saturday with my iPad charger and thought it charged faster than normal but didn't make much of it. Guess I was right.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

FishBulb posted:

Because if single tap had a function you'd be accidentally triggering it 400 times a day.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I just got my iPhone 6 up and running and restored from backup, and everything seems to work just fine except my gmail account. All the information is there, and event my exchange contacts are in place, but there is no mail being received.

Should I just delete the mail account on my phone and set it up again?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Has anyone with a 6/6 plus had any issues with enabling voice and data for LTE? I just turned it off because I was having issues calling my home (a land line). Apparently, family couldn't hear me well or at all. I could hear them just fine though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
That's a real bummer if Beats is being shut down. I switched over to it from Spotify and like it so much more. The catalog is smaller but they actually do a wonderful job of curating. Albums fall under albums, EPs are appropriately categorized, etc. The library feature on the mobile app is way ahead of Spotify's as well.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Eyespy posted:

I just got my iPhone 6 up and running and restored from backup, and everything seems to work just fine except my gmail account. All the information is there, and event my exchange contacts are in place, but there is no mail being received.

If you have it set up so that Google generates a password just for your iPhone to access Gmail, then go to the Google support page, revoke access to the app and then generate another key.

Otherwise remove and set it back up.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Eyespy posted:

If it isn't a Google Apps for Work account, Exchange syncing is discontinued for new devices.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

After getting used to it for a couple days I've grown to really enjoy the 6+ size.

When I first got it on Friday I was a little bit skeptical as to how I would adapt but now I can't see myself going back to something as small as my old 5.

And call me crazy but I also think there's enough difference between the 6+ and the rMini to justify having both.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd guess that the iTunes streaming service will be heavily influenced by Beats. iTunes feels like it's been falling behind and Apple paid a lot of money for Dre and Iovine's knowledge.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Economic Sinkhole posted:

If it isn't a Google Apps for Work account, Exchange syncing is discontinued for new devices.

Thanks for that. I deleted my old email setup and then went through the setup process again. It was mostly painless.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

dutchbstrd posted:

Nice. For reference they both look like this after 2 years.

So I took one of the cables to the Apple store here in SF and they replaced it no questions asked in about 10 minutes.

Overall, great experience.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

dutchbstrd posted:

So I took one of the cables to the Apple store here in SF and they replaced it no questions asked in about 10 minutes.

Overall, great experience.

Yeah I asked them about that the other day when I was getting my phone and they said they probably would. I just figured I'd do it after the lines died down.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

various cheeses posted:

Weird, it even does this on the Netflix app. Both LTE and wifi. Any ideas?

Happening to me too.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
We really need 8.0.1.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Mest0r posted:

The article also states it will work with newer Macs. I have a MBPr from just like a year and a half ago. I wonder if that counts. I charged my phone on my laptop today for the first time and it seemed faster than my 5 but I can't confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
When I travel I use an iPad charger anyway, and yeah it seems to charge my 5 faster? I dont know, either way I wanted to have 1 charger that I could charge both with.

Also easier using a splitter to charge my 2 phones at once is nice. The lovely Moto 2 port usb only supports like 500mA so the phones kinda trade off while charging, which is fine overnight but sucks when they are both low and I want to bump them up quickly.