Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

jassi007 posted:

Rabble master t3 sori to is pretty good. Throw in a blood soaked champion

As is T3 Brimaz T4 Sorin, or a T4 Siege Rhino into T5 Sorin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

mcmagic posted:

How are they not taking a loss on that? I came is second place out of a 50 person release and only got 12 packs...
Pretty sure this is the store I work at. Our store doesn't really make money on tourneys, usually just breaking even. It brings people to the store and they buy boxes, packs, singles, supplies, and so on.

At $25 entry and taking into consideration the prize support wizards provides, we made maybe a dollar per person. It was the sales during the 7 hour event where we made money.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Angry Grimace posted:

Interesting that Sorin went to $25 overnight.

So happy I bought in for £5 each (So $8-10?). Planning to slip him into MarduKing, with Ajani Steadfast reserved for a Mardu Butcher build. Being able to turn Rabblemaster into a 5/3 First Strike Vigilance Lifelink seems pretty fun. Or Butcher into a 6/6 with 4 keywords minimum.

Both he and Ajani seem well placed for Mardu/Abzan plans of Aggro or Midrange respectively.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
FYI/FWIW, instead of removing cool fun cards from MTGO cube, Wizards should loving take out Crucible of Worlds, whose only use ever is by the guy who also gets Strip Mine and makes his opponent's life miserable with the stupidest lock in all of magic. GOd dammit

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

MiddleEastBeast posted:

FYI/FWIW, instead of removing cool fun cards from MTGO cube, Wizards should loving take out Crucible of Worlds, whose only use ever is by the guy who also gets Strip Mine and makes his opponent's life miserable with the stupidest lock in all of magic. GOd dammit

Hehe, a spike combo to be sure, but, cube's all about broken stuff.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

MiddleEastBeast posted:

That combo is utterly dead against hard aggro though, so it's not like it's a huge deal to have exist.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

I Love You! posted:

That combo is utterly dead against hard aggro though, so it's not like it's a huge deal to have exist.

Last time I checked, except for the one guy possibly drafting Mono Red, cube isn't dominated by hard aggro

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

I do think that deck will be played a lot, I'm just a little worried about all their 2/1 trying to attack into a bunch of Courser's and Caryatids.

Generally that deck doesn't run Soldier of the Pantheon. I love the card and tested it like crazy, but:
1) The deck is MUCH heavier black and red than white, so it's harder for the manabase to support T1 Soldier
2) The protection isn't super relevant since almost all of the good removal is monocolored, you don't want to be holding a dude back to block, and you're usually attacking with tons of little dudes so they have to let someone through anyways
3) He's not a Warrior and so is not buffed by Chief of the Edge

That number 3 is a much bigger deal than you might expect. Chief is HUGE because he means that Bloodsoaked Champion, Tormented Hero and Mardu Skullhunter all eat Caryatid and War-Name Aspirant and Rabblemaster with just one Goblin eat Coursers. Chief is by far the best two-drop for Mardu (and is a big part of the reason why Valley Dasher doesn't make the cut, along with Horde Ambusher, Gurmag Swiftclaw and Jeering Instigator).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly the biggest problem for aggro decks is Siege Rhino. That card is a complete and utter pain in the rear end for them. It's 3 mana removal spell or bust against him, and even then the lifegain still happened.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly the biggest problem for aggro decks is Siege Rhino. That card is a complete and utter pain in the rear end for them. It's 3 mana removal spell or bust against him, and even then the lifegain still happened.

Well you can still have 2 Bloodsoaked Champions swinging in every turn. That card's so sweet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The Abzan Rhino deck has a lot of incidental lifegain through Courser, Sorin, Rhino, etc. A good thing too, since it runs a ton of Thoughtseize, Fetches, Pain/Confluence lands, etc.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ajani's pridemate might actually be a useful card with all the lifegain in abzan.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I do think that deck will be played a lot, I'm just a little worried about all their 2/1 trying to attack into a bunch of Courser's and Caryatids.

I was in a playtest with a group of 4 today and I have to say mono black aggro is really looking a lot stronger than I expected. 1-2x boon of erobos, 2-3x bile blight, 1-2x hall of triump, and the standard 4x thoughtsieze/downfall seems to really support the creatures on curve really well and leave my opponent nervous to block. 12x one drops plus the mixed amounts of bestow creatures seem to just be so aggressive that its winning at a really high percentage. Just the type of deck to that loves to watch temples and painlands hit the board.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

The Abzan Rhino deck has a lot of incidental lifegain through Courser, Sorin, Rhino, etc. A good thing too, since it runs a ton of Thoughtseize, Fetches, Pain/Confluence lands, etc.

Yeah I don't see how the next 3 months of standard isn't just Abzan Midrange decks locking rhino horns into each other repeatedly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So why the hell is Mana Crypt allowed in EDH? It seems like the most busted thing imaginable, it's literally better than Sol Ring

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So why the hell is Mana Crypt allowed in EDH? It seems like the most busted thing imaginable, it's literally better than Sol Ring

I have no idea why EDH is the way it is. A lot of the cards that are allowed to roam freely are much worse than what they already banned out. I have always felt cyclonic rift needed to get the can for example.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

because sheldon likes using it in his deck (along with his sol ring).

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
The funniest one has to be how a number of cards are banned because of their interaction with Deadeye Navigator, yet Deadeye Navigator itself isn't the thing that's banned.

I mean, it is a hell of a lot of fun, but come on.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Hitting a Siege Rhino with Ride Down is going to be the #1 Mardu Feelgood of the next Standard season.

ride down is an absolutely absurd card

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Hitting a Siege Rhino with Ride Down is going to be the #1 Mardu Feelgood of the next Standard season.

ride down is an absolutely absurd card

It's also a pretty dead card against aggro matchups.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah I don't see how the next 3 months of standard isn't just Abzan Midrange decks locking rhino horns into each other repeatedly.

Mardu aggro and Mono-black aggro strategies are pretty good, though, not to mention the Temur midrange deck. I'm not really sure if there's a dominant control strategy that's been figured out by or made available to the community yet. I'm sure one will show up though.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Is it possible to make Abzan work without Elspeth? Or do I need to just bite the bullet and buy a couple?

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Once you play one Elspeth you'll probably wonder how you ever lived without casting her.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nemico posted:

Once you play one Elspeth you'll probably wonder how you ever lived without casting her.

I played Not-White for a year.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

YorexTheMad posted:

Is it possible to make Abzan work without Elspeth? Or do I need to just bite the bullet and buy a couple?

You could give Garruk, Apex Predator a try, but its not exactly cheaper (either CMC or $$).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the idea is that in a protracted, 5+ player game, 2 extra mana doesn't matter that much in the long run.

It is banned in French EDH, anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is one of the only coin flip designs I don't hate. Probably because you're not paying too dearly for losing the flip and the upside's great.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's also a pretty dead card against aggro matchups.

Yeah, I mainboard 0 and sideboard 4. It comes in when people are trying to stall me out with fatties. Mainboard removal suite for my Mardu build is 2x Downfall 2x Mardu Charm 4x Ulcerate. This is my build:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-09-14-hhK-mardu-aggro/

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
This was the dumbest coin flip card to play with:

"You know, if you don't want to play magic you can just tell me."

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 23, 2014

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Babylon Astronaut posted:

1) Turn six Amulet of Quoz
2) Turn seven Platinum Archangel
3) PROFIT

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

YorexTheMad posted:

If you're playing any flavor of midrange and have lands that produce white mana, I don't see how you can't jam Elspeth.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Best art, though. I have one lying around somewhere.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

If you're playing any flavor of midrange and have lands that produce white mana, I don't see how you can't jam Elspeth.

I think you have the question backwards. They want to not use El speth.

It is indeed true that Elsepth goes in every white deck that plans to have not won by turn 5.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

So studying the set more it seems Wingmate Roc really is a tailor made anti-Elspeth card. She comes down, +1s. Your turn, attack with something, play Roc. Her turn she +1s again. Your turn you attack with both birds, gain some life to offset the tokens chipping away at you, and exactly kill her. It's a 5-CMC answer that leaves a huge threat behind (6/8 flyer). She can't get rid of them either.
I think between the Roc and War-Name Aspirant every clan but Sultai has a solid creature-based answer to her. Sultai has Downfall, I guess.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Everyone has an answer to Elspeth with scuttlebutt engine, the coolest card of m15. Wish that thing got more play.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So studying the set more it seems Wingmate Roc really is a tailor made anti-Elspeth card. She comes down, +1s. Your turn, attack with something, play Roc. Her turn she +1s again. Your turn you attack with both birds, gain some life to offset the tokens chipping away at you, and exactly kill her. It's a 5-CMC answer that leaves a huge threat behind (6/8 flyer). She can't get rid of them either.
I think between the Roc and War-Name Aspirant every clan but Sultai has a solid creature-based answer to her. Sultai has Downfall, I guess.
brb ordering some rocs so i can put them in place of my Elspeths for my junk midrange deck

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Should I buy likely looking rares now or wait? I can get Siege Rhino or Bloodsoaked Champ for £3 or so and Sorin for £10. Think Rhino might go up, champion I have no idea. Will fetches just kill the value of everything else?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Actually right now, I'm surprised how high the non-fetch rares are selling. I think on average they will stay the same, but some will go up and some will go down as people figure out which of them have a deck. Sorin seems high. 20 USD is normal for pre-release planeswalkers before we figure out how they work in the standard. At the end of the day, the question is how badly do you want to play standard constructed right now because picking winners seems hit or miss right now. Look at how badly rabblemaster was undervalued.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I buy likely looking rares now or wait? I can get Siege Rhino or Bloodsoaked Champ for £3 or so and Sorin for £10. Think Rhino might go up, champion I have no idea. Will fetches just kill the value of everything else?
Try trading for the stuff first, that's what I'm gonna do after draft night this Friday (hopefully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BizarroAzrael posted:

By the wording of Sorin's +1, does it apply to creatures that come under your control after it's activated?

It only applies to creatures you control at the time it resolves.

quote:

611.2c. If a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability modifies the characteristics or changes the controller of any objects, the set of objects it affects is determined when that continuous effect begins. After that point, the set won't change. . . .

Example: An effect that reads "All white creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn" gives the bonus to all permanents that are white creatures when the spell or ability resolves--even if they change color later--and doesn't affect those that enter the battlefield or turn white afterward.

• Locked thread