Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
OK, yeah, sounds like that's not targeted at what I'm looking to do. Thanks, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
I've been tasked with recovering old Mac Word 1.x-5.x docs pretty sure they're mac 5. I currently have an old laptop running 2004 that people have been using for garbage web browsing. 2004 will successfully open and convert the files with minimal loss of formatting but do I need to worry that these files will pose a security risk to a desktop running mavericks 10.9.2 or word 2011?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pan Ache posted:

I've been tasked with recovering old Mac Word 1.x-5.x docs pretty sure they're mac 5. I currently have an old laptop running 2004 that people have been using for garbage web browsing. 2004 will successfully open and convert the files with minimal loss of formatting but do I need to worry that these files will pose a security risk to a desktop running mavericks 10.9.2 or word 2011?

Security risk? Like a risk to our national security? I guess it just depends on the documents...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
My friend is telling me a local repair or some poo poo shop told him he got a "virus" that managed to edit his proxy settings and show him these two things:

:ghost:

but I'm calling BS on the whole thing. Any idea what the hell he's talking about?

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 23, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

holy poo poo learn to rotate images and use timg tags

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

noirstronaut posted:

Any idea what the hell he's talking about?

Not until you rotate these clockwise by 90% and reduce the size to at most a quarter.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Oh, drat, sorry. I accidentally uploaded the jpegs and not the pngs

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

Oh, drat, sorry. I accidentally uploaded the jpegs and not the pngs

For future reference, photographs are generally going to come out smaller as jpegs.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

cbirdsong posted:

For future reference, photographs are generally going to come out smaller as jpegs.

It was just the jpeg I had (directly from the chat we had) was larger since it was a straight photo from his phone. Paired with the service I use automatically rotating jpegs for whatever reason, I just convert everything to PNG and upload.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

The IP he's connected to in the first pic belongs to LogMeIn. If he doesn't use that, something might be up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ended up fixing my issue with Boot Camp.

Steps I took:
  • Created official USB installer with Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.
  • Partitioned the Mac drive in Disk Utility. Windows partition was of filesystem ExFAT.
  • Formatted partition in Windows installer, suddenly could install to the free space. (Couldn't before for whatever reason, even after formatting the partiton.)

Just gotta get the support software installed and we're golden! OS X was unaffected.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
What's the easiest and cheapest app/program for syncing files across Macs on the network?

Is there a decent app that isn't too bloated? Or should I just script up some rsync?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ahz posted:

What's the easiest and cheapest app/program for syncing files across Macs on the network?

Is there a decent app that isn't too bloated? Or should I just script up some rsync?

Get some kind of shell for rsync. They're out there, but I can't vouch for how good they are.

Personally, I ended up buying Chronosync a while ago, because I really just wanted something I could set and forget. I use it to sync files from the NAS my OS X server and my various other computers use to a big ol' 4 TB RAID 5 LG NAS. I know it's not a "real" backup solution, but it makes me feel better to have redundant local copies. The "oh poo poo, my life would be ruined without these files" live encrypted on various cloud storage solutions. they are a surprisingly small number of files, but I can rebuild everything vital I'd need from them.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Ahz posted:

BitTorrent Sync is free.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wolffenstein posted:

BitTorrent Sync is free.

It's also good at trashing files, flat out not syncing and taking forever to start syncing.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Comatoast posted:

It's also good at trashing files, flat out not syncing and taking forever to start syncing.

Agreed, I had such high hopes for it but recently I've had terrible speeds even on LANed computers

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
...Or AirDrop...?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AirDrop is for one-time file transfers, not sync.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What are you trying to sync across Macs? If it's just a small amount of documents then honestly I'd just Dropbox it. Quick, easy sync, and your files are available online as well.

Obviously that won't scale up terribly well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

People who set up a lot of Macs should remember to redownload the OS X 10.9.5 install image from the App Store.

Just re-downloaded it, ran the one-line install startup media terminal command, and made myself a nice bootable installer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sort of building on that, if anyone thinks DeployStudio isn't worth the hassle then believe me, it's no hassle at all compared to how easy it makes maintaining OS X images and rolling them out. I reckon if you have three machines to build then you'd break even by looking into it, any more you do after that are essentially free.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
I checked out a few things incl Unison. gently caress it, I don't feel like micro managing merges / two way deletes / left-right priorities. I'd rather alter our simple home workflow, one way deletes and use rsync.

Thanks though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

My friend from this post is saying he does indeed use LogMeIn, but he's unable to download music. Any ideas? If not, I might as well just utilize that LogMeIn and try to figure this out myself.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have a Logitech mouse I'd like to use with a Macbook Pro I've got on order. Is there a program out there that eliminates mouse acceleration/smoothing in OSX for USB mice?

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
I'm trying to get a few files off a MacBook Pro. I have the harddrive and I have an usb drive mate that I have used for Windows based harddrives. Is there any way I can do this? Sorry if I'm not that specific, but do not know too much about MacBooks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you have the physical SATA drive and the "usb drive mate" is what I think it is (usb -> SATA adapter) then all you'll need to do is plug the drive into the "drive mate" and plug the drive mate into another Mac and you'll be able to pull whatever data you need, assuming the drive itself isn't damaged in some way.

You can probably do this on a Windows machine too, but you'll need to install HFS drivers. I think Bootcamp comes with some read-only drivers that may work for you, if you can get access to that.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Martytoof posted:

If you have the physical SATA drive and the "usb drive mate" is what I think it is (usb -> SATA adapter) then all you'll need to do is plug the drive into the "drive mate" and plug the drive mate into another Mac and you'll be able to pull whatever data you need, assuming the drive itself isn't damaged in some way.

You can probably do this on a Windows machine too, but you'll need to install HFS drivers. I think Bootcamp comes with some read-only drivers that may work for you, if you can get access to that.

Thanks so much!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

I have a Logitech mouse I'd like to use with a Macbook Pro I've got on order. Is there a program out there that eliminates mouse acceleration/smoothing in OSX for USB mice?

smooth mouse seems to do the job - at least for my wireless mice, don't see why it wouldn't do the same for a usb one

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Martytoof posted:

What are you trying to sync across Macs? If it's just a small amount of documents then honestly I'd just Dropbox it. Quick, easy sync, and your files are available online as well.

Obviously that won't scale up terribly well.

I'm not the original asker, but this is something my wife and I have been vaguely struggling with, as well. We're using Bittorrent Sync to keep our pictures in sync across machines, but I really don't know how much I trust it in the slightest. We also use it to sync her (not-safe-for-Dropbox) documents to the machine that gets backed up with Mozy.

The main problem with Dropbox is that the free tier doesn't have enough space, and the paid tier costs too much; some tier in the middle would be absolutely fantastic. We tried Copy as a competitor, but it had severe problems with actually uploading the files.

I hope BT Sync hasn't eaten anything yet. Pictures are precious. :ohdear:

...I really really really really hope iCloud Photos works for us. I don't know if it will, though, because it seems to have this baked-in assumption that each person has their own individual photo collection, and the fact of the matter is that me and my wife share one photo collection, and it's really dumb to have it duplicated across two accounts, especially if we have to pay for space for individuals.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
How much do you need? Not sure if it's still going on but MS started a Skydrive promo for free 30GB if you did a photo sync. Box occasionally does 50GB promos but who knows when the next one will be.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The Pictures folder is at 50.5 GB, and that's not including the slew of pictures taken for our newborn.

Really, the Dropbox price would be far less galling if not for the fact that we have to pay it twice, because shared folders count against both accounts (this was the primary appeal of Copy). Though 120$/year is still a large number to my wife.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Look at getting a Transport if shared storage is your main usage.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't you go through the albums, pick out a few dozen of the best photos, print out hard copies and get some sort of binder or album that you can store the hard copies in.

The advantage of this solution is that you can even look at the pictures when the power goes off or if you have a system crash or something.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Make photo books in iPhoto :v:

(...is that going away once "Photos" comes out in Yosemite?)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I haven't tried it, but the new family iTunes accounts apparently have built-in photo sharing, so you might give that a go? I have no idea if just one or all of you would need to buy extra space for 'Photos in the Cloud' when that goes live though.

japtor posted:

Make photo books in iPhoto :v:

(...is that going away once "Photos" comes out in Yosemite?)
That would be a drat shame, those books are really gorgeous.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Use crashplan's free tier to sync your stuff to all of your machines (and maybe a couple of off-site machines belonging to family/etc in case of a fire or whatever?)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
This is the laziest thing, but here goes: I've got my mac setup so that all my screenshots go to a dropbox folder, which then copies a public link to them to my clipboard. Cool. But if I need to open those screenshots in photoshop or something, I hate having to open the folder to get to them. Is there any way to have the files that show up in this dropbox folder also be copied to my desktop?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

jackpot posted:

This is the laziest thing, but here goes: I've got my mac setup so that all my screenshots go to a dropbox folder, which then copies a public link to them to my clipboard. Cool. But if I need to open those screenshots in photoshop or something, I hate having to open the folder to get to them. Is there any way to have the files that show up in this dropbox folder also be copied to my desktop?

Folder action via Automator?

Worked well enough for a photo dragged to folder, as well as one already there that I duplicated.

e. timgd because that's a bit wider than I expected. Must be the shadows.

vv I like automator because I'm too lazy or incompetent to make applescript work, and folder actions are pretty useful.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 25, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm a bit embarrassed that I've never used Automator for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

jackpot posted:

Probably (Definitely) overkill for just this one thing, but Hazel is a cool app that can do all sorts of folder automation, including that.