Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Williamsburg and Bushwick apparently.

Neither of us know anything much about NYC as I said so any advice welcome :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Thinking about taking my girlfriend up to NYC from Philly for a birthday dinner in the next couple weeks. We've done it a couple times in the last few years at Momofuku Ko and Bohemian, no preference on cuisine but I would like someplace that sort of feels like an "experience" or whatever, sorry I don't know how to phrase that and make it sound any less stupid but I'm sure you know what I mean. "Secret" spots or very intimate dining rooms etc. Budget-wise I'd like to keep it at around $300. Location isn't too important. THANKS DUDES

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Thinking about taking my girlfriend up to NYC from Philly for a birthday dinner in the next couple weeks. We've done it a couple times in the last few years at Momofuku Ko and Bohemian, no preference on cuisine but I would like someplace that sort of feels like an "experience" or whatever, sorry I don't know how to phrase that and make it sound any less stupid but I'm sure you know what I mean. "Secret" spots or very intimate dining rooms etc. Budget-wise I'd like to keep it at around $300. Location isn't too important. THANKS DUDES

I loved Jungsik. Its not an 'experience' like Eleven Madison Park but I enjoyed the food a lot more. Is that $300 total w/ drinks or are you not getting beverages?

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

5436 posted:

I loved Jungsik. Its not an 'experience' like Eleven Madison Park but I enjoyed the food a lot more. Is that $300 total w/ drinks or are you not getting beverages?

We'll def be getting drinks, $300 total would be great but I don't mind spending more at the right place. I did check out Jungsik based on some people talking about it earlier in the thread, it definitely looks like a contender and getting a res seems easy which is a plus.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

We'll def be getting drinks, $300 total would be great but I don't mind spending more at the right place. I did check out Jungsik based on some people talking about it earlier in the thread, it definitely looks like a contender and getting a res seems easy which is a plus.

We didn't do the tasting menu because the normal menu had everything we wanted to try. We got out a little under 300 with some drinks. We both loved the Yoo Jin (sp?) mixed drink. I'd say get the Scallops, Yellow tail, and red snapper. All amazing. The al-a-cart menu also lets you order a small or large portion of things so and they aren't snobby about splitting courses.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I'm going to be visiting from London with my fiance in a couple of months and am looking at Narcissa for our anniversary....am I right in assuming that we wouldn't want to be outside in October? We're staying in the east village and the restaurant looks perfect, but happy to hear if anyone has any alternative suggestions along the same lines.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

bubbapook posted:

I'm going to be visiting from London with my fiance in a couple of months and am looking at Narcissa for our anniversary....am I right in assuming that we wouldn't want to be outside in October? We're staying in the east village and the restaurant looks perfect, but happy to hear if anyone has any alternative suggestions along the same lines.

Do you mean dining outside? Yes, October can get pretty chilly. Towards the end of October it can start dropping into the 30s (fahrenheit).

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Are there any big time i.e. hard to get reservations, that I can take advantage of booking way ahead of time? Going to be in town one Saturday night in March, and looking for a tasting menu for 2 ~$200/person with drinks. Seems like a lot of restaurants only do 30 days out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
October is certainly chilly, but they have huge outdoor heaters. If a restaurant's outdoor area is open in October, they have them; if the restaurant is nice, they should work well. You still can't sit around in a T-shirt and flip-flops, but dress for the season and sit next to the heater, and you'll be fine.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Finally ate at Per Se last night. Way better than I thought it would be, and much less serious in tone than its reputation suggests. One of the desserts was ice cream made to taste like cinnamon toast crunch (and it beat the piss out of that cereal milk stuff at Momo milk bar).

It's a real fun spot.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Asazu in LES is legit. Highlights include the simmered beef & onions over crinkle fries and the meatball sandwich.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Had brunch as Asiate in the Mandarin Orientatal Hotel on Saturday. Exceptional food and a breathtaking view of Central Park. Not a bad prix fixe value ($64) and definitely worth it.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

No Wave posted:

Finally ate at Per Se last night. Way better than I thought it would be, and much less serious in tone than its reputation suggests. One of the desserts was ice cream made to taste like cinnamon toast crunch (and it beat the piss out of that cereal milk stuff at Momo milk bar).

It's a real fun spot.

Got any other places you can compare it to? I cook a lot of Thomas Kellers stuff and think hes a great chef. I've had EMP and Jungsik and Per Se is on top of my list for next year.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

5436 posted:

Got any other places you can compare it to? I cook a lot of Thomas Kellers stuff and think hes a great chef. I've had EMP and Jungsik and Per Se is on top of my list for next year.
I went to EMP a few years ago and I wasn't such a fan - I didn't really get it. I rank it above Le Bernardin, far above Brooklyn Fare, in a different solar system from Jean Georges, but just below Alinea. Haven't been to Jungsik.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What's the best place to get a drink before noon in midtown on a tuesday?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anybody have any experience with Danny Brown Wine Bar and Kitchen?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

5436 posted:

It's similar to Daniel, but better. Way better than Jean Georges which is just across the street, I think it is easily my favorite restaurant in the city. I went in January and it was snowing outside and it was a MAGICAL experience.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Also, Carbone is real good guys, the lobster fra diaviolo and veal parm were like the platonice ideal fo those dishes.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

No Wave posted:

I went to EMP a few years ago and I wasn't such a fan - I didn't really get it. I rank it above Le Bernardin, far above Brooklyn Fare, in a different solar system from Jean Georges, but just below Alinea. Haven't been to Jungsik.

Nice, I think we have similar tastes. I thought a few items from Jean Georges were amazing (best butternut squash soup ever) but overall wasn't impressed. EMP started off really good but lost its appeal. Dishes were very hit or miss. I think its harder to hit 18 dishes that I'd like versus 6-10. Jungsik is so far my favorite restaurant in NYC.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

5436 posted:

Nice, I think we have similar tastes. I thought a few items from Jean Georges were amazing (best butternut squash soup ever) but overall wasn't impressed. EMP started off really good but lost its appeal. Dishes were very hit or miss. I think its harder to hit 18 dishes that I'd like versus 6-10. Jungsik is so far my favorite restaurant in NYC.
I read this post, made a reservation at Jungsik. Looking forward to it!

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
I'm tellin' you guys. Torrisi's tasting menu. Just do eet.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

We have an event that ends about 10:30pm on Saturday in midtown. Anywhere amazing and open late nearby where I won't need reservations because I'm not sure of exactly what time we get done?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

hallo spacedog posted:

We have an event that ends about 10:30pm on Saturday in midtown. Anywhere amazing and open late nearby where I won't need reservations because I'm not sure of exactly what time we get done?

Not sure what the price range or restrictions are, but Kunjip in K-Town is 24 hours, really tasty, affordable and fun for a group. They also turn over tables super quick meaning that you rarely need to wait longer than 15 minutes or so.

On the flip side, be prepared to order the minute you sit down and for food to start flying out of the kitchen in an insane flurry from start to finish.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Mikey Purp posted:

Not sure what the price range or restrictions are, but Kunjip in K-Town is 24 hours, really tasty, affordable and fun for a group. They also turn over tables super quick meaning that you rarely need to wait longer than 15 minutes or so.

On the flip side, be prepared to order the minute you sit down and for food to start flying out of the kitchen in an insane flurry from start to finish.

Thanks! No price limits but it's just two of us. Korean sounds great though.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks! No price limits but it's just two of us. Korean sounds great though.

Some other options....

Great korean fusion:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/danji-new-york

Fun izakaya (Japanese pub food):
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sake-bar-hagi-new-york

Shake shack!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/shake-shack-new-york-9

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks! Sake Bar Hagi looks awesome, every time I've walked by though it's line-out-the-door packed but maybe at 11 it'll be slightly reasonably packed instead.
I've always liked Yakitori Totto late but the problem is and the reason I'm not raring to go this weekend is that they sell out of the exotic cuts early so it's debatably not as fun later in the evening. Solid though.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
Marea is another solid option. Reservations are tough to get normally but I'm sure you could walk in at 10:30

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/21/dining/reviews/21rest.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks! Sake Bar Hagi looks awesome, every time I've walked by though it's line-out-the-door packed but maybe at 11 it'll be slightly reasonably packed instead.

It doesn't look anywhere near as awesome, but Iroha, right above Hagi, is actually run by the same owners and they have a lot of the same menu at what I'm fairly certain are the same prices. It does last call earlier - maybe 12:30? - but a lot of times I go to put my name down for Hagi, then go check Iroha and seating is available.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

I've always liked Yakitori Totto late but the problem is and the reason I'm not raring to go this weekend is that they sell out of the exotic cuts early so it's debatably not as fun later in the evening. Solid though.

I love Totto. Their exotic cuts are great – if you ever have a chance you should try Tori Shin.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Massive posted:

I love Totto. Their exotic cuts are great – if you ever have a chance you should try Tori Shin.

I found tori shin to be overrated. Its good but not worth the price. Everything has that similar salty + soy taste. They also forgot about our order so we waited 40min, then reminded them we already ordered, and they acted like nothing even happened.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Blanca was awesome. The standout to me was the agnolotti with plankton. Eggplant ceviche is a close second. I want to check out a 3 star place now.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Blanca was awesome. The standout to me was the agnolotti with plankton. Eggplant ceviche is a close second. I want to check out a 3 star place now.

... plankton? Go on...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Massive posted:

... plankton? Go on...

It's hard to describe the exact taste but my reaction was this tastes like the sea. Very surprising. Man it was such a great meal.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey guys so I'm getting taken out to dinner and have a choice between ABC Kitchen, Gramercy Taver, Union Square Cafe, Craft, Nomad, and Maialino. There's no obvious stand out to me so what do you think? tia

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

KidDynamite posted:

Hey guys so I'm getting taken out to dinner and have a choice between ABC Kitchen, Gramercy Taver, Union Square Cafe, Craft, Nomad, and Maialino. There's no obvious stand out to me so what do you think? tia

You can't really go wrong with any of those options. Gramercy Taven is probably the highest end of that line-up, followed closely by NoMaD. However I think that ABC Kitchen serves the most exciting food out of the lot.

Given the line-up of New American places, it sounds like your generous dinner mate may also like White Street and Batard.

Again, all great options.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

sink the biz posted:

You can't really go wrong with any of those options. Gramercy Taven is probably the highest end of that line-up, followed closely by NoMaD. However I think that ABC Kitchen serves the most exciting food out of the lot.

Given the line-up of New American places, it sounds like your generous dinner mate may also like White Street and Batard.

Again, all great options.

Agreed. Union Sq Cafe/Maialino are probably bottom of the list for me. I think ABC Kitchen and Nomad are great.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

The overhyped nomad truffle chicken is actually A++++ super loving fantastic so I would go there.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Jay Carney posted:

The overhyped nomad truffle chicken is actually A++++ super loving fantastic so I would go there.

Yea it is. I'd also recommend getting a bunch of smaller plates and then finishing it off with ^

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

We're going to end up going to Maialino due to schedule and res availability, thanks for the suggestions though might end up at one of those places in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Do you guys have any recommendations for a good spot for Thanksgiving dinner? We went to Colicchio and Sons last year and are thinking about going back this year, but wanted to get a sense for what else might be worth a look.

• Locked thread