Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Can you purchase parts directly through PCpartspicker.com or do you have to go through the vendors it finds for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

GreatGreen posted:

Can you purchase parts directly through PCpartspicker.com or do you have to go through the vendors it finds for you?

PC PartPicker is not a storefront, it's just a tool and price aggregator. You will need to buy through a vendor.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I sure hope there's another game code promotion coming along since the BLPS one for the 700-series is over. For awhile it seemed like they were a perpetual thing.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Guys, I'm allowed to buy a 980 for my triple 1440 set up right? I wouldn't want to get anyone's panties in a bunch.

That's like two 4K displays worth of pixels. Shouldn't you be buying two or more of them? :twisted:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked up an EVGA GTX 970 from Micro Center for $270 yesterday. Funnily enough, it was returned because it was "too loud." I didn't notice any ambient volume increase compared to my old HD 6850, but I did notice I could pretty much max anything at 1080p and suffer from little to no performance hit.

It's a good card and I don't think I'd care to get a GTX 980 over the 970. It handled anything and everything I threw at it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Jesus Christ that's cheap. Is that because it was a return?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

AirRaid posted:

Jesus Christ that's cheap. Is that because it was a return?

Yep. Still had all the stickers on the ACX fans and stuff. Not sure it was even plugged into a computer before it was returned.

Tax kicked it up to ~$300, but still. I ain't complaining.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

You can generally tell if a card has been plugged in because the pins will be marked when it's pushed into the slot.

VVV yeah which one of you was it? :v:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Someone probably got home and read a review about it and returned it lol.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Protocol7 posted:

Yep. Still had all the stickers on the ACX fans and stuff. Not sure it was even plugged into a computer before it was returned.

Tax kicked it up to ~$300, but still. I ain't complaining.

Oh I was confused, I thought you meant that you returned it after trying it out. So it isn't loud compared to a 6850? So probably quieter than a 5870 as well.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Well, I pulled the trigger. Dabs.com has some MSI 970s in stock, so I've nabbed one.

Should be here end of the week. :dance:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Someone convince me that a 970 is enough to max out BF4, Witcher 2, and other high-demanding games at 1440p so I don't give in and join the crazy pants club :(

I was sold on the 970 for 1080p but I'm now considering concurrently upgrading to 1440p.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

Someone convince me that a 970 is enough to max out BF4, Witcher 2, and other high-demanding games at 1440p so I don't give in and join the crazy pants club :(

I was sold on the 970 for 1080p but I'm now considering concurrently upgrading to 1440p.

Max out? Probably not. At least, not in an online always 60+ fps sense. I'm sure turning down AA will be the big one again. 1440p is kind of rough. If you can deal with 50's every once in a while it seems pretty certain it will pull that off consistently

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Does 1080p gaming on a 1440p monitor look like poo poo... or is the dpi good enough that it only looks like very slight, weird anti-aliasing?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GreatGreen posted:

Does 1080p gaming on a 1440p monitor look like poo poo... or is the dpi good enough that it only looks like very slight, weird anti-aliasing?

If you are buying a 1440p monitor then buy a card capable of driving it. Otherwise buy a 1080p monitor.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sure it also depends on the quality of the scaler, but I've had 720p and 1080p consoles plugged into my 1440p display and they're certainly not terrible resolutions. Sure it's not the 1440p native that my gaming PC spits, and you can see a difference, but I certainly wouldn't call it poo poo.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

Max out? Probably not. At least, not in an online always 60+ fps sense. I'm sure turning down AA will be the big one again. 1440p is kind of rough. If you can deal with 50's every once in a while it seems pretty certain it will pull that off consistently

I can deal with 50s...but obviously prefer 60 as my minimum. Oh god, I'm joining the club...budget isn't really a concern so it's obvious I'm going to go the dumb-dumb route.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How much more performace does 970 SLI get than a 980?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

icantfindaname posted:

How much more performace does 970 SLI get than a 980?

Basically, at low resolutions, underwhelming. Cranked up to something like 3840×2160, then it's pulling away hard.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 22, 2014

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
I'm also stuck between the 970 sli and 980 setups. I've never tried an SLI setup. Are most of the old issues with some games not working right or difficult configurations sorted out?

I tend to game on high settings in windowed 1440p with a second 1080p monitor that has either video running or another game client.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

I can deal with 50s...but obviously prefer 60 as my minimum. Oh god, I'm joining the club...budget isn't really a concern so it's obvious I'm going to go the dumb-dumb route.

Me personally, I really dislike dips and drops in fps online when playing something like BF4. I also really like maxing out settings. After playing with what would be accurately called a retarded amount of video cards this year I've discovered I am happiest when the cards I'm running actually average a solid 15 fps above the fps I use. It "soaks" up the dips. That number is quite a bit higher for the SLI stuff I was working with although that might be different now. When I'm playing single player games, even ones that really slam the GPU(s), this requirement is almost negligible and getting into 50's and even the very occasional 40's doesn't bother me much at all if there's a good reason for it.

The 970 looks good. OC'd looks even better. But its not going to accomplish what I'm happiest with, personally. It's amazing what it does for $330, something that just a week ago would be laughable, but just based on the benchmarks I believe I'd have a 980 or 970 SLI for 1440p. Again this is just me and I'm not saying that as some kind of disclaimer - I understand almost everybody is happy with an average of say 60 fps. That's what I'm "dealing" with now and its just fine.

If you're budget isn't a concern, and you like maxed out settings, and you are definitely getting 1440p - I don't think anybody is going to fault you for 'wasting' money on a 980. Is it the industry shocking value of a 970 (especially OC'd) ? No. Is it appropriate? I think so

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Thank you for the write-up. If I do go 1440p, it will be when I buy the new GPU(s). Now I'm tempted to take a peek at 970SLI as it doesn't cost much more than a single 980...though I told myself, coming from a 580SLI, that I'd avoid multi-GPU in the future just for simplicity's sake.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
What is the minimum power supply needed for 970 SLI? Would a seasonic 650w be enough?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AirRaid posted:

You can generally tell if a card has been plugged in because the pins will be marked when it's pushed into the slot.

I've gotten plenty of sealed-in-the-box cards that have marked pins, I'm pretty sure even for brand new ones, someone at the factory probably validates the board on a test bench to make sure it actually works before it gets packaged.

r0ck0 posted:

What is the minimum power supply needed for 970 SLI? Would a seasonic 650w be enough?

I can say yes that'll definitely work. I used to run a 4770k overclocked with two 770 SLI and it never pulled more than 550 watts from the wall even with uncapped framerates.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Anti-Hero posted:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/6

Shows the evga superclocked at 39 lowest, 50 average for fps on ultra settings in BF4 (I believe this includes AA, since the next graph shows a higher res with ultra settings and 0x AA, while the 1440p shows just "ultra" settings)
The difference between the models performance-wise is like 1 fps at 1440p

I ordered the EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 1.0, and I am worried now about potential rattling problems.. If the fan is just a little loud I can handle that because my current one is louder according to some data I found, but if it rattles, then that would irritate the hell out of me. I actually had 2 of my current gpus in crossfire, but one of them started to rattle/vibrate really loudly at idle (Way louder than the other gpu) so I ended up just removing it.

e: by models, i mean different brands, like asus and msi

Skwee fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 22, 2014

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Official word from EVGA regarding the ACX cooler:

EVGA posted:

Hello everyone,
The way the EVGA GTX 970 ACX heat sink was designed is based on the GTX 970 wattage plus an additional 40% cooling headroom on top of it. There are 3 heat pipes on the heatsink – 2 x 8mm major heat pipes to distribute the majority of the heat from the GPU to the heatsink, and a 3rd 6mm heatpipe is used as a supplement to the design to reduce another 2-3 degrees Celsius. Also we would like to mention that the cooler passed NVIDIA Greenlight specifications.
Due to the GPU small die size, we intended for the GPU to contact two major heat pipes with direct touch to make the best heat dissipation without any other material in between.
We all know the Maxwell GPU is an extremely power efficient GPU, our SC cooler was overbuilt for it and allowed us to provide cards with boost clocks at over 1300MHz. EVGA also has an “FTW” version for those users who want even higher clocks.
http://www.evga.com/images/forum/precision_gtx970sc.png
Regarding fan noise, we understand that some have expressed concerns over the fan noise on the EVGA GTX 970 cards, this is not a fan noise issue but it is more of an aggressive fan curve set by the default BIOS. The fan curve can be easily adjusted in EVGA PrecisionX or any other overclocking software. Regardless, we have heard the concerns and will provide a BIOS update to reduce the fan noise during idle.
Thanks, EVGA

FWIW, some guy who decided to stick it out with the EVGA 970 SC noticed the card squealing after running Guild Wars 2 at max settings and he had no complaints about the cooler itself. He's planning on returning it after getting his backordered MSI 970 because he can't deal with the coil whine.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

burndtjamb posted:

Official word from EVGA regarding the ACX cooler:

FWIW, some guy who decided to stick it out with the EVGA 970 SC noticed the card squealing after running Guild Wars 2 at max settings and he had no complaints about the cooler itself. He's planning on returning it after getting his backordered MSI 970 because he can't deal with the coil whine.

apparently the 3rd smaller heatpipe doesn't actually even contact the gpu, and if it does, it isn't much.

from here
The article name is a bit sensationalist, as them using a cooler that is too big isn't really a defect.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

rath posted:

I'm also stuck between the 970 sli and 980 setups. I've never tried an SLI setup. Are most of the old issues with some games not working right or difficult configurations sorted out?

I tend to game on high settings in windowed 1440p with a second 1080p monitor that has either video running or another game client.

Multi GPU is always touch and go. SLI/Crossfire is a black box that game developers cannot touch, so it's up to the driver writers to make any specific optimizations for an engine. Any reasonably popular game will have any issues ironed out within a driver release or two, smaller/indie stuff sometimes requires fiddling around with other game profiles. But on the whole it is pretty transparent.

At least SLI can run in windowed/windowed fullscreen, whereas Crossfire requires exclusive fullscreen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Skwee posted:

Oh I was confused, I thought you meant that you returned it after trying it out. So it isn't loud compared to a 6850? So probably quieter than a 5870 as well.

I had the Gigabyte HD 6850 with their special cooler and there is no discernible noise difference. Lot of ambient noise around my desk, though.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

This is (understandably) getting lost in the 970 excitement, but holy poo poo what an awesome port. Maybe more so on the laptop side of things, but they just killed proprietary AC adapters, model specific docking stations and nearly every other video output in one fell swoop. Just plug everything (keyboard, mouse, speakers, Ethernet, other monitor, storage, whatever) into a monitor/hub device, run one cable to your laptop and you're done.

There's even talk of being able to swap the video output for PCIe. I haven't looked at bandwidth numbers yet but external graphics might even be feasible.

Future laptops could quite literally replace every existing port with USB type C with no loss of functionality. Just give me like 8 of those and I'm happy.

I'm struggling to think of benefits for desktop graphics (video card powered monitors?) but gently caress it, throw it on them too.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Protocol7 posted:

I had the Gigabyte HD 6850 with their special cooler and there is no discernible noise difference. Lot of ambient noise around my desk, though.

The newegg page lists a max resolution of 4096 x 2160 for some reason. Is that true? (I want to do 3x 1080p monitors)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Skwee posted:

The newegg page lists a max resolution of 4096 x 2160 for some reason. Is that true? (I want to do 3x 1080p monitors)

That is per port for the HDMI and DP outs. DVI does up to 2560x1600. You could run four 4K screens on a single 970 or 980, so triple 1080p will be fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BurritoJustice posted:

You could run four 4K screens on a single 970 or 980

What? How?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BurritoJustice posted:

That is per port for the HDMI and DP outs. DVI does up to 2560x1600. You could run four 4K screens on a single 970 or 980, so triple 1080p will be fine.

Alright, thanks. Do you know if I want to have the 3 considered 1 desktop (for triple monitor gameing) does one of the connections have to be display port, or could i have hdmi, and 2 dvi?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Don Lapre posted:

What? How?

On a 970 would require a nonexistent "reference" 970, but on the 980, it's 3x DP and 1x HDMI.

Skwee posted:

Alright, thanks. Do you know if I want to have the 3 considered 1 desktop (for triple monitor gameing) does one of the connections have to be display port, or could i have hdmi, and 2 dvi?

No 980 comes with two DVI plugs, so one would have to be DP. If you need it to be DVI, get an Active Adapter. On a 970 that re-uses the 780's ports, you can do 2 DVI and 1 HDMI if you want.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 23, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

On a 970 would require a nonexistent "reference" 970, but on the 980, it's 3x DP and 1x HDMI.

No 980 comes with two DVI plugs, so one would have to be DP. If you need it to be DVI, get an Active Adapter.

Ahh, didn't realize the 980 reference had 3 dp's

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

veedubfreak posted:

Guys, I'm allowed to buy a 980 for my triple 1440 set up right? I wouldn't want to get anyone's panties in a bunch. Anyone know when the EVGA Classified will be available?

I leave Saturday for my cruise (7 days on a boat with my parents brother and sister-in-law with their 2 kids.) Can't even order one this week :( because any sort of shipping delay would have it show up while I'm of town. Boo.

Don't be ridiculous. What you need is 3 970s.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Swartz posted:

With all these complaints about the ACX cooler on the EVGA 970 cards, I'm wondering, is it supposed to be louder or something than the ACX cooler that shipped with their 760 cards?
I have an EVGA 760 SC w/ ACX and the noise has never bothered me. I'd like to stick to EVGA, so I was wondering if the ACX cooler is louder this time or if it's always been considered loud?

It's considerably noisier this generation. Worse than the reference cooler. Last generation it was decent if not the best.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I bought my 780 6GB edition almost 3 months ago, and finally took EVGA up on the 90-day step-up offer (having bought nothing but EVGA for as long as I can remember).

I'm exactly 4 days shy of my 90 day mark, but I'm now in the queue for a 980. All I'll be paying is shipping!

:feelsgood:

rath posted:

I've ran SLI with:

2x 8800s
2x GeForce 260s
2x GeForce 570s

Until just recently, I never had any issues. Essentially most games were running engines optimized for SLI.

Towards the end of the 570s (before I updated to the single 780 6GB) I had 3 games in a row hit me with no SLI capabilities. ESO (who cares) TitanFall, and Grid: Autosport.

It was at some point when I was trying the various "fixes" for Titanfall using nvidia injector to force SLI profiles and such that I decided that this poo poo blows.

I wouldn't say that this means companies are abandoning SLI, I don't think that's the case. But it seems to be an afterthought. There's nothing more frustrating than having to wait on the publisher/developer to get off their rear end and make proper SLI optimizations.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
I feel like I already know the answer but just to be sure, I can go from a 770 to a 970 without needing a new PSU right?