Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Darth Ballz posted:

More Saints Row 2 and much less Saints Row 3, 4, and whatever please.

4 was good but 3 can burn in a poo poo fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saints Row 2 would have the same problem as GTA5.

Though with more side activities at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Saints Row 2 would have the same problem as GTA5.

Though with more side activities at least.
What problem is that? I think GTA5 has many problems.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

What problem is that? I think GTA5 has many problems.

The gameplay would be hopelessly generic at this point and there's only so much a fun plot can do for that.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Then there's the fact you Have to do stupid side missions to get enough points be able to do the main missions.

Imagine if you couldn't get to the first heist in gta v without first playing a full round of golf :shepicide:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All I want to keep about SR2 structure-wise is how it's presented as the boss actually being in charge and being around his/her buddies all the time instead of around people who they hate but have to work for anyway like in GTA. The whole rest of the game could be gutted and replaced with no complaints from me.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
SR 2 and SR 4 are my favorites in the series because IMO they did a good job of leveraging the characters they had built and developed in SR2 and SR3 and allowing you as the boss to hang around and goof off with them--with superpowers. I think that's about as close as we can realistically get if we try to mix the two games. If they try to do a full SR5, I'm not sure where they would be able to take it, beyond making it an actual time travel game a la Turtles in Time. The good ending says you DO have a time machine, so that could work, but I'd be interested to see how they pulled it off. Maybe a full on Assassin's Creed parody? Who knows! .

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gat's going to Hell and I don't see them topping that unless the next game involves giving God a Stunner or something.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Sammus posted:

The side activities are really well done, but how many people want to play a full 9 rounds of golf in a game about shooting cops and killing hookers?

Nine holes, and a full round is 18. IDIOT.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

So three of my friends and I get together at least once a week and just sit around and watch TV. We've been watching Game of Thrones, but we just finished it, and we're looking for something new.

I suggested maybe all playing a video game together, but I know that if the story isn't strong then I don't think it'll hold up. Do you think something like Last of Us is...watchable? As in, do you think if one person was playing, the story is strong enough to keep the other three peoples' attention, or not so much.

If not, is there anything that comes to mind that could do that job? I was thinking the Tales games because all four could play, but at least one of the people can't stand RPGs so I think that's out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Morby posted:

Based on the GTA discussion that has popped up on the last few pages, it's clear to me that what this gen needs is more Saint's Row. Thankfully, my prayers are being answered in January 2015.

It needs significantly less, actually.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aphrodite posted:

The gameplay would be hopelessly generic at this point and there's only so much a fun plot can do for that.
I don't play SR2 for the gameplay (which is definitely bland at this point), I play SR2 for the world detail and the interaction with npc's. Stores like Ribs For Her Pleasure and turning a corner and finding there's a 100-person melee going on between cops, pimps, and regular citizens makes that game awesome.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Then there's the fact you Have to do stupid side missions to get enough points be able to do the main missions.

Imagine if you couldn't get to the first heist in gta v without first playing a full round of golf :shepicide:
Yes, but instead of playing golf you run around naked or play chauffeur to a hooker and her client. Or blow poo poo up. Or beat someone to death. Variety!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't play SR2 for the gameplay (which is definitely bland at this point), I play SR2 for the world detail and the interaction with npc's. Stores like Ribs For Her Pleasure and turning a corner and finding there's a 100-person melee going on between cops, pimps, and regular citizens makes that game awesome.

Saints Row 2 can't load nearly that many people.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aphrodite posted:

Saints Row 2 can't load nearly that many people.
Could on a PS4! :haw:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Pirate Jet posted:

It needs significantly less, actually.

I think it needs significantly more, honestly. Way, way more.(first link kind of nsfw)

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 23, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just wish we didn't have to choose between the extremes of GTA and the current state of Saints Row. I had a lot of fun with SR4 but it doesn't really feel like a Saints Row game to me. I still think 2 was the perfect level of goofiness. Obviously the series is never going back in that direction, but maybe Sleeping Dogs can fill the niche.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Red Faction Guerilla was a nice in between for me but then THQ decided to take a critically acclaimed game about a huge open environment where you can destroy gigantic buildings on a whim and set its sequel in a cave :wtc: to compete with Gears of War. The triple embarrassments of that, Homefront and PS4/360 uDraw was the end.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Red Faction Guerrilla, while a totally awesome game, was a bomb from what I've read. Not that surprising that the next go around they went with Gears clone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

Red Faction Guerrilla, while a totally awesome game, was a bomb from what I've read. Not that surprising that the next go around they went with Gears clone.

It did really well on consoles but tanked on PC. For some reason the PC release got delayed a month so there was no marketing happening when it came out. But man that game really ahd legs and it's a shame nothing has really followed up since. The multiplayer destruction modes were incredible too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Sunday Ticket is great but is an ESPN app out of the question on PS4? Like do they have exclusitivity on Xbox or something? On the subject what's the deal with HBO Go? I remember when it came out (in April?) on PS3 I read a PS4 app was just around the corner. It's kind of annoying having to switch over to the 360 for just those two things; I know you're able to have a really good media center with a $50 roku, but it would be nice if a $400 PS4 could do everything a $50 device can do.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I believe Xbox has an exclusive on it for now. Wasn't there an app for it on 360?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I believe Xbox has an exclusive on it for now. Wasn't there an app for it on 360?

Yeah there is one (ESPN, not HBO) -- I use it, just wish I could do it all on PS4

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Homefront was an amazing $2 "get hammered and laugh through the story in 3 hours" game. It was pretty sad how pumped I was for the next level on what turned out to be the final boss fight.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Any good deals for 1-year PS+ out there?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Rasa posted:

It did really well on consoles but tanked on PC. For some reason the PC release got delayed a month so there was no marketing happening when it came out. But man that game really ahd legs and it's a shame nothing has really followed up since. The multiplayer destruction modes were incredible too.

No, the game tanked period. It just wasn't a popular franchise. While I like the multiplayer and destruction, the actual game was bland as poo poo.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/volition-latest-red-faction-games-fell-short/1100-6406898/

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

psychoJ posted:

I think it needs significantly more, honestly. Way, way more.(first link kind of nsfw)

Linking me things that I have already stated I think sucks is not going to change my opinion.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 23, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Did anything come out of the Sony megaton Shu mentioned at TGS? Wasn't it supposed to be revealed the last day of the show?

I can't find anything online about what it was, and I think TGS ended Sunday.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

aherdofpenguins posted:

So three of my friends and I get together at least once a week and just sit around and watch TV. We've been watching Game of Thrones, but we just finished it, and we're looking for something new.

I suggested maybe all playing a video game together, but I know that if the story isn't strong then I don't think it'll hold up. Do you think something like Last of Us is...watchable? As in, do you think if one person was playing, the story is strong enough to keep the other three peoples' attention, or not so much.

If not, is there anything that comes to mind that could do that job? I was thinking the Tales games because all four could play, but at least one of the people can't stand RPGs so I think that's out.

The Last Of Us had several of my friends (not me) crying at the intro (not me) alone, and it has a lot of cinematic moments (I didn't cry) throughout. You'd want to play through on Hard to get the best experience. (ALRIGHT I CRIED)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why SA peeps put Saints Row on such a pedestal. I liked 3 quite a bit even though it was embarrassingly stupid. Mechanically it was pretty fun and I liked all of the customization. The humor made Borderlands look like a Coen Bros film by comparison though. 4 seemed like an Infamous mod of 3 that they decided to charge 60 bux for. It seemed like one of the most lazy half baked sequels I have ever played. I played SR2 for a while after 3 but mechanically it was just so dated I had to shelf it after a few hours.

Not that I dislike SR but from what I have played it's kind of a middle of the road series. Really felt irrelevant to me after GTA 5 and I'm not even a big GTA fan.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 23, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

For me, the story was great and it was a fun game to gently caress around in due to all the unlockables. Plus the coop was a blast. BTW I'm talking about sr2 I never could get into the other ones.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I don't get why SA peeps put Saints Row on such a pedestal. I liked 3 quite a bit even though it was embarrassingly stupid. Mechanically it was pretty fun and I liked all of the customization. The humor made Borderlands look like a Coen Bros film by comparison though. 4 seemed like an Infamous mod of 3 that they decided to charge 60 bux for. It seemed like one of the most lazy half baked sequels I have ever played. I played SR2 for a while after 3 but mechanically it was just so dated I had to shelf it after a few hours.

Not that I dislike SR but from what I have played it's kind of a middle of the road series. Really felt irrelevant to me after GTA 5 and I'm not even a big GTA fan.

Go play fez

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

SR2 has to be considered next to the other open world games of that time. It is pretty rough, but so were they. As for 3 and 4, I don't think anyone likes them as much as they would 2 would if 2 had better gameplay, and yeah, I enjoyed 4 but I should have paid a lot less for it. 3 clearly suffered massive setbacks in development and they had to cut a bunch of stuff and stitch the ends up together. I don't have that much hope for the future of SR, unfortunately. They seem to constantly be operating right on the edge of what they can do organizationally.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

NESguerilla posted:

Heh, when I was playing through GTA 5 I thought it was very well made (with a budget like that, it drat well should be) with a fantastic engine and a great open world, but at some point I realized I didn't care about the story or the characters and wasn't having much fun with the actual gameplay. Decided to go play SR2 instead and had a blast. (I did eventually complete GTA 5 and it wasn't bad or anything, but I'm not exactly planning to get the next-gen port on day one)

SR3 and SRIV are still fun enough games, but the switch in tone from "open world gang warfare with a bunch of absurd humor" to "LOL WE'RE SO WACKY, CHECK OUT ALL THESE REFERENCES TO OTHER GAMES AND THINGS" kinda ruined the series for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fair enough. I don't really have a good gauge on SR2 since I played it so late. I'm really not a big fan of the genre, but the world of GTA5 seemed to blow everything else out of the water and I felt like the mechanics of it were pretty much on par or better than SR3. As far as story and mission structure go I think they are all pretty bad but GTA 5 was decently entertaining if nothing else.

Edit: Thinking about it more. GTA5 actually did have a really nice variety of missions too. Doing alot of the open world poo poo felt repetitive but the main game really went out of it's way to set up interesting scenarios and had some of the most inspired missions I've seen in a game like that.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 23, 2014

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
So my new white PS4 has taken to turning itself on and off repeatedly, somehow even trying to boot itself into safe mode. Never had this problem with my black model, anyone else experiencing this? Am I being haunted?? Poltergeist???

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Fair enough. I don't really have a good gauge on SR2 since I played it so late. I'm really not a big fan of the genre, but the world of GTA5 seemed to blow everything else out of the water and I felt like the mechanics of it were pretty much on par or better than SR3. As far as story and mission structure go I think they are all pretty bad but GTA 5 was decently entertaining if nothing else.

Edit: Thinking about it more. GTA5 actually did have a really nice variety of missions too. Doing alot of the open world poo poo felt repetitive but the main game really went out of it's way to set up interesting scenarios and had some of the most inspired missions I've seen in a game like that.

I prefer gta 5 as well but saints row 2 scratches a particular itch that 5 doesnt.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'm currently staying in a place that has an old fat tv.

If I pick up a ps4, will I be able to hook it up to red/yellow/white plugs or is it hdmi only?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

omnibobb posted:

I'm currently staying in a place that has an old fat tv.

If I pick up a ps4, will I be able to hook it up to red/yellow/white plugs or is it hdmi only?

PS4 is HDMI only.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
There's probably an HDMI-to-composite converter out there somewhere, but you won't be doing yourself any favors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Interesting scenarios the hopelessly shallow gameplay can't do anything with.

• Locked thread