Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Axiem posted:

The light switch is in a 6-inch section of wall along with the door; that part of her room is like a narrow foyer. There is literally no place to put a step stool that won't also block the door, which swings into her room. Otherwise, we would be all on top of putting something relatively immobile there she could climb on.

Replace the toggle switch with a keyed switch or get a lockable cover for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Or if you actually want her to be able to control the lights, put in a remote switch?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3766548

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Ooo, get lights that are activated by clapping or something. My daughter appears to believe that she can open elevator doors by waving her hands at them, and looks proud as punch when her awesome toddler magic works. If she could actually turn the lights in her room on and off by clapping, she'd believe she was God.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the good words regarding my post, all! I am thoroughly enjoying my tenure as a SAHD, and I agree that I am probably about to enter one of the better times of raising kids! I think paling around with some 5 year olds is going to be a blast, once the time comes - it has been a long road to get to age 2, but hopefully I'm just about out of the weeds. Being a stay at home parent is great work if you can find it, and I absolutely agree that tossing that away for a 10 dollar an hour schlub job would be the worst.

Anyways, thanks for giving me something to think about! Also if any of you are randomly posting from Kansas or Missouri we need to get our playground and zooing on!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for the good words regarding my post, all! I am thoroughly enjoying my tenure as a SAHD, and I agree that I am probably about to enter one of the better times of raising kids! I think paling around with some 5 year olds is going to be a blast, once the time comes - it has been a long road to get to age 2, but hopefully I'm just about out of the weeds. Being a stay at home parent is great work if you can find it, and I absolutely agree that tossing that away for a 10 dollar an hour schlub job would be the worst.

Anyways, thanks for giving me something to think about! Also if any of you are randomly posting from Kansas or Missouri we need to get our playground and zooing on!

If you are anywhere near STL, we may be a bit out of your age range, but we're always up for more zoo or city museum or botanical gardens. 3 year olds can monkey the hell out of the City Museum. By the time your kids are old enough for a babysitter, mine will be old enough to sit on them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jackpot posted:

Ugh, I figured. This ought to be fun: there's a difference between child-proofing a room, and child-proofing a room in order to leave him alone in it for 12 hours at a time. Plus, he already spends an hour every night singing and lecturing to his stuffed animals - this isn't gonna help things. :)

If anyone runs into this situation, this is what we went with:

KidCo Gate
KidCo Extension
KidCo Y-spindles

The gate is at the bottommost white bannisters, so on the first step. The extensions are needed to span the whole width, and the y-spindles let me connect to the bannister. The only potential problem is that in order for the gate to fit tight enough, I have a lot of tension on those y spindles. Like, railings-are-bowing-slightly-outward kind of tension. It's a lot, but it'll hold.

I just built a house without stairs, no need to make it complicated I figured.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Axiem posted:

Our 2-year-old has gotten it in her mind that she wants to turn on/off the overhead light in her room by herself. At the moment, she drags over her rocking horse and climbs quite precariously on it to do so--conveniently also blocking the door to her room in the process.

Part of me wants to train her out of wanting her overhead light on when going to sleep, but I realize I'm probably not going to be able to make that concession. My wife and I have discussed light switch extensions, but the biggest problem we have is that the switches in her room are horizontal (because there are two of them (fan and light) in a narrow box), and all of the extenders we can find assume vertical switches. And going with a stepladder of some sort gets into the door problem, but also allows her to climb on other things we don't exactly want her climbing into.

Any recommendations on how we can "elongate" the sideways switch so she can control it from the ground?

Sounds like the real solution is to take the horse out of the room and deal with some tears until she gets used to sleeping with the light off.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Axiem posted:

Our 2-year-old has gotten it in her mind that she wants to turn on/off the overhead light in her room by herself. At the moment, she drags over her rocking horse and climbs quite precariously on it to do so--conveniently also blocking the door to her room in the process.

Part of me wants to train her out of wanting her overhead light on when going to sleep, but I realize I'm probably not going to be able to make that concession. My wife and I have discussed light switch extensions, but the biggest problem we have is that the switches in her room are horizontal (because there are two of them (fan and light) in a narrow box), and all of the extenders we can find assume vertical switches. And going with a stepladder of some sort gets into the door problem, but also allows her to climb on other things we don't exactly want her climbing into.

Any recommendations on how we can "elongate" the sideways switch so she can control it from the ground?

Why not get her a bedside nightlight instead, so she won't have to climb anywhere to turn it on or off?

Alternatively, get her a gro clock, like my daughter has. These provide a little bit of comforting light at night, and are educational too, helping you get across when it is and when it bloody well isn't time to get up. It's a UK company, but their website says they sell them in the US too.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 23, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Axiem posted:

If she wants a light, why not just get some sort of light that is safe for kids that she can reach?

http://www.amazon.com/Cookids-Creat...hild+table+lamp

http://www.amazon.com/Eachine-Porta...hild+table+lamp

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jassi007 posted:

If she wants a light, why not just get some sort of light that is safe for kids that she can reach?

http://www.amazon.com/Cookids-Creat...hild+table+lamp

http://www.amazon.com/Eachine-Porta...hild+table+lamp

Yeah, we have this one and while it may not be the nicest thing to look at, it was ten bucks and Sydney loves saying "hello bug" or "goodnight bug" when she flicks it on and off. You can put it anywhere as long as you can manage the cord.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70072871/

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Why not get her a bedside nightlight instead, so she won't have to climb anywhere to turn it on or off?

She has one; it's apparently not good enough, as she still insists on turning the overhead on/off.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Sounds like the real solution is to take the horse out of the room and deal with some tears until she gets used to sleeping with the light off.

That's a solution we were kind of hoping to avoid, mostly because trying to find somewhere else to put said horse is difficult. But that ends up being our default solution.

hailthefish posted:

Or if you actually want her to be able to control the lights, put in a remote switch?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3766548

Are there any of those that are that size wall box, but with two switches? That otherwise would be a fantastic solution.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The dual switch has power going into one side, and two wires coming out of the other - one for the fan and one for the light. If you temporarily (or permanently) replace this with a regular switch (This would cost $0.49), you can use one of the switch extenders until she's tall enough, then swap the dual switch back in.

You can also install a midget switch in the room (permanently) that she could reach.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

photomikey posted:

midget switch

Heh

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

photomikey posted:

You can also install a midget switch in the room (permanently) that she could reach.

But then she could have light switch rave parties.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AlistairCookie posted:

But then she could have light switch rave parties.

The system... is down!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Took momma and Eleanor out to lunch today and got to witness a 4 or 5 year old kid just outright vomit straight into his dad's face! So ... I have that to look forward to!

I felt so bad for the guy. His little boy started the "clutch tummy and say 'I don't feel well'" dance and he reached across the table, pulled him out of his chair and level with his own face (to swing him over and onto his hip to take him to the bathroom) and the little guy just let loose a fountain of Sprite and white chunks into his dad's face and densely grown beard. Dude took it in stride with a smile though!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Took momma and Eleanor out to lunch today and got to witness a 4 or 5 year old kid just outright vomit straight into his dad's face! So ... I have that to look forward to!

I felt so bad for the guy. His little boy started the "clutch tummy and say 'I don't feel well'" dance and he reached across the table, pulled him out of his chair and level with his own face (to swing him over and onto his hip to take him to the bathroom) and the little guy just let loose a fountain of Sprite and white chunks into his dad's face and densely grown beard. Dude took it in stride with a smile though!

Did you get his SA name? :v:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have only had it happen once, in my livingroom thankfully, but you get that vibe when something's not right with your kid, and I look over at her... what's wrong honey? And about halfway through that sentence... well, imagine how much capacity your kid's tummy has when completely full. About five times that amount of liquidy-puke came shooting out at me. She must have been squirreling it away for months.

Like the guy in your story, I took it in stride.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

photomikey posted:

I have only had it happen once, in my livingroom thankfully, but you get that vibe when something's not right with your kid, and I look over at her... what's wrong honey? And about halfway through that sentence... well, imagine how much capacity your kid's tummy has when completely full. About five times that amount of liquidy-puke came shooting out at me. She must have been squirreling it away for months.

My first son barfed down the back of my neck the first time I put him on my shoulders. Hair, hat, shirt, it was glorious. We had not yet learned that he was a barfy baby. There's some great pictures of it somewhere.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.

Eh, whaddaya gonna do about it?

Ambystoma fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 25, 2014

Missouri Fever
Feb 5, 2009

av by ed
do re mi
fà pí qì
drat, nice lashes on your barfy baby.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
In a spin on kids vomiting on their parents, my husband full on puked all over our baby one time because he can't cope with changing dirty nappies.

I was having a lie in and heard a load of commotion downstairs, went down and was handed a baby covered in puke and poo poo.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.

Missouri Fever posted:

drat, nice lashes on your barfy baby.

Cheers, no idea where he gets them from :iiam:

also sorry for the giant table breaking image - phone posting while tired whatup.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Tiny kids barf so much, parents get inured to it fairly quickly. Also at least when it's a baby it's just milk - that makes it seem less gross, at least to me.

My 4-month-old laughs whenever he pukes on me, which I find kind of hilarious.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
A couple of months ago we heard a couple of coughs from our daughters room a few hours after we'd put her to bed. But she didn't wake up, so we thought nothing of it. The next morning we found her absolutely covered in diarrhea and literally stuck to the matress in her own dried puke from last night, happy as a clam. She'd slept through the whole thing. I put her in the bathtub and basically hosed her down, and threw out her PJs. She was sick for three days, poor thing, but appeared to find the fact that food came randomly shooting out of her face absolutely fascinating.

Also I now get barf-related PTSD whenever I hear coughing from her room after bedtime.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

photomikey posted:

Not long after my kid learned to walk, she was toddling around the house, and I wasn't particularly paying attention since she seemed fine. Then it got silent, and after a few seconds I looked up to see what had happened. My kid was just standing there, silent, looking in my direction, holding something. I asked "Honey, what's wrong?" And then I went over, and I saw.

Well, the cat had thrown up a hairball which I hadn't realized, and my daughter had PICKED IT UP AND STARTED TO EAT IT. I looked over to see her standing there, with a little bit of cat vomit dribbling out of her mouth, hairball pieces in her hand, and a thousand yard stare in her eyes as she realized that she may have discovered the platonic ideal of The Worst Possible Floor Food.

I was used to cleaning up her vomit. Cleaning up someone else's vomit from her mouth was a new one.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Sockmuppet posted:

A couple of months ago we heard a couple of coughs from our daughters room a few hours after we'd put her to bed. But she didn't wake up, so we thought nothing of it. The next morning we found her absolutely covered in diarrhea and literally stuck to the matress in her own dried puke from last night, happy as a clam. She'd slept through the whole thing. I put her in the bathtub and basically hosed her down, and threw out her PJs. She was sick for three days, poor thing, but appeared to find the fact that food came randomly shooting out of her face absolutely fascinating.

Also I now get barf-related PTSD whenever I hear coughing from her room after bedtime.

Something similar happened to us this past winter with Liam. When I went to check on the kids before I went to bed, I could smell his room as I approached. There he was, in a room that smelled vile, covered in his own everything, asleep. Woke him up, gave him a bath, threw out his clothes, changed his bed. He said he was going to call for help, but he just laid down and went to sleep before he did.

Kids are weird.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sockmuppet posted:

My wife does the same thing. She is terrified of the kids puking. Like she's ok with cleaning it? but she just can't stand the sight of someone vomiting. I'm kind of the opposite, them puking doesn't bother me but cleaning the stink makes me queasy. Thankfully in 3 years with our oldest and 14 months with the youngest we've had one bad illness where he vomited a couple times. That was a bad night.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For months my son thought it was completely hilarious to gag himself. He would be playing and just have a hand in the back of his mouth gagging. Finally one night he started crying hard and my wife went in and he had gagged himself to the point of puking. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen him doing it since.

Best puke for him though was after a sic hour flight. The flight had been okay and we were sitting on the train waiting for it to leave. Out of nowhere he just projectile vomits three or four times all over the seats, floor, and my wife. There wasn't anyone else on the train and we had no way to clean it, so we just got up and moved across the aisle.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think Sydney has been reading this thread (what are they letting you do in daycare, child?) because last night she was happily petting Harold and saying 'CAT CAT CAT' before promptly vomiting chickpeas all over him. This was apparently hilarious to her.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Okay so dumb product question time. I'm looking for a spill proof straw based cup for a toddler with a straw my kid can't eat or whatever. She doesn't like drinking out of slow flowing sippy cups but I can't give her like a take and toss cup because that's a huge mess, and if I give her like a thermos bottle or something she's happy but she'll chew up the straw in a day or two.

I don't remember my other kid being this difficult to hydrate.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We like these...

Playtex Lil' Gripper Straw Cup - 9 oz - Girl - 2 ct https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BH0P8FO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OPljub1YJ7ZJG

I've found these in local stores (target Walmart etc) easily enough too

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
We're extremely happy with the straw cups from Avent. Very durable (the kid is both a chewer AND a dropper, and they stand up very well to both gnawing and tossing), no spills, and easy to clean.

I don't know how old your kid is, but they come in two sizes, 12 months and 18 months. We had her on the smallest size way before she turned one, though, because she figured out straws before she figured out bottle nipples.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

sheri posted:

We like these...

Playtex Lil' Gripper Straw Cup - 9 oz - Girl - 2 ct https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BH0P8FO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OPljub1YJ7ZJG

I've found these in local stores (target Walmart etc) easily enough too

Once you start losing the bottom straws of those things, it's all downhill though. I have six of those and maybe three can have a complete straw at any given time, less if we're not stealing the bottom straws for the younger child's munchkin handle cups.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Those all look good in just worried she'll devour those straws. I'll look into it

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
edit: double post my bad

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My kid chews on the take and toss cups straws and kills them but the ones I linked are more silicone like (I think? Not sure of the name of the texture I'm looking for). The cap also screws on instead of snapping and the way the straws go together make it hard/impossible for them to be pulled out of the cup while the cap is screwed on.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

We're extremely happy with the straw cups from Avent. Very durable (the kid is both a chewer AND a dropper, and they stand up very well to both gnawing and tossing), no spills, and easy to clean.

I don't know how old your kid is, but they come in two sizes, 12 months and 18 months. We had her on the smallest size way before she turned one, though, because she figured out straws before she figured out bottle nipples.

Seconding this! You can also get replacement kits for them if you lose any of the straw parts.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Sockmuppet posted:

We use these, they're pretty good. Confirming they survive a solid chewing as our younger guy likes to not only chew but clench them in his teeth and pull. We've lost a straw part or two but they've lasted well otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I missed the puke talk but I'm still going to share my story anyway. Way back when the kid was a few months old, old enough to have neck control, he was having a bad crying jag. I had tried walking, rocking, patting, etc. etc. So sitting in the chair with him, I get my hands under his arms, and hold him up to be all "Awww, what's wrong?" for a change of pace.

And that's when he puked.

Onto my face.

Into my open mouth.

I will remember the taste until the end of my days. I'll be laying on my deathbed, and the last thing to come to my mind before I drift into the endless sleep will be the smell and taste of baby vomit.