Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tequila posted:

Is this documented anywhere?

I don't want to post any links because it gives hits to lovely internet sleuths, but search "moot gamergate girlfriend" and you'll find enough information. The gist of it is that Moot is working on projects with partners who work for Gawker, particularly Mallory Blair whose Gawker's PR arm and one of the targets of rampant online harassment. Because it's impossible for a man to be associated with a woman without idiots thinking they're loving, people are making the assumptions between Moot shutting down GamerGate chat and working with "influential people" in the media that they're a couple. Couple this with Moot being present at lectures by Anita Sarkeesian and allegations that he was using his position to start up Canvas (originally billed as "4chan for adults) and you have idiots branding him as being an SJW sellout.

It's straight up early 20th century Communist-by-association paranoid tinfoil hat bullshit. Somebody could write a cyberpunk story about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't remember which gaming podcast went on a long tangent recently about Minecraft's far-reaching tendrils, but I didn't believe it until this evening where, while walking through Target, I stumble across hardcover guidebooks for Minecraft. Broken into different topics too (a book for combat, a book for machine-building, and a basic survival book) :psyduck: What the hell?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

NmareBfly posted:

For all your gamergate updates I recommend the GBS thread, which continues to move at a rate of about 1 shitpost a minute. Seriously, I think there were 800 posts last night and nothing happened.

So many people who think they are funny. Why the gently caress does GBS even exist anymore? It's literally worse than Reddit and 4chan put together. At least on those sites you don't have the awkward SA pretentiousness mixed in with the "witty" dialogue.

C-Euro posted:

I can't remember which gaming podcast went on a long tangent recently about Minecraft's far-reaching tendrils, but I didn't believe it until this evening where, while walking through Target, I stumble across hardcover guidebooks for Minecraft. Broken into different topics too (a book for combat, a book for machine-building, and a basic survival book) :psyduck: What the hell?

I don't doubt it. Don't know how much you know about the Minecraft modding scene, but it puts anything vanilla Minecraft offers to loving shame. The level of complexity is unmatched by pretty much any game I've ever played. Running nuclear reactors to power farms in order to grow crops to generate biofuel which can be used to power a rocket to leave the planet and build a space station or explore the moon, and that's barely scratching the surface. poo poo, building a device around an area of the map and zapping that physical area (including any characters) into an in-game disc that you can then carry to another machine and zap that map areas and anyone in it into another physical place is even possible. It's loving mind-blowing, really.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Mr Scumbag posted:

I don't doubt it. Don't know how much you know about the Minecraft modding scene, but it puts anything vanilla Minecraft offers to loving shame. The level of complexity is unmatched by pretty much any game I've ever played. Running nuclear reactors to power farms in order to grow crops to generate biofuel which can be used to power a rocket to leave the planet and build a space station or explore the moon, and that's barely scratching the surface. poo poo, building a device around an area of the map and zapping that physical area (including any characters) into an in-game disc that you can then carry to another machine and zap that map areas and anyone in it into another physical place is even possible. It's loving mind-blowing, really.

Whoa does that actually work in a reasonable way? I remember messing with Minecraft mods in like 2009/10 and they were all janky as heck, but I kept trying because gently caress if I will ever be able to learn Dwarf Fortress.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Scumbag posted:

So many people who think they are funny. Why the gently caress does GBS even exist anymore? It's literally worse than Reddit and 4chan put together. At least on those sites you don't have the awkward SA pretentiousness mixed in with the "witty" dialogue.

There's a guy who posts in the GBS thread who has only posted about living in Asia and how much he hates women and feminism in his entire like 3 years posting on SA

Almost everybody is doing fakeposting/trolling/whatever poo poo but then every tenth post is a legitimate loon and it's actually kind of funny (for a minute)

C-Euro posted:

Dude, they sell Minecraft poo poo everywhere. I'm almost positive I've seen t-shirts at Wal Mart.

I was more weirded out by finding League of Legends merchandise at a Books-A-Million, though.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

C-Euro posted:

Hah, I had this same experience a few weeks ago walking through a target. Passed the hard cover combat guide for minecraft. Stopped for a few seconds while I contemplated the state of the world.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

Minecraft is in practically every department store. It is the largest single video game ever. It is Pac-Man, Super Mario, and The Sims put together.

And nobody serious about Minecraft plays vanilla Minecraft. Unless your Jick who thinks nobody plays modded Minecraft because running Java is some kind of alien concept. I listened to two podcasts of Video Game Hotdog and just can't anymore because of him. Out of every podcast I've listened to he reminds me the most of a loud radio jockey to the point where he can stun his guests and co-hosts in complete bafflement.

I just can't listen to podcasts where one person dominates the show, whether it's intentional or not.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've worked with a pretty small set of elementary school to middle school kids. Some of them don't play video games, they just play Minecraft. And I've seen a few of those books. I think if I were that age, I'd want 'em.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Minecraft toy section at Walmart is bigger than the transformer section

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Despite what everyone says, I think Minecraft is pretty good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So do I! So do like 60 million other people.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's a cross between the original Legend of Zelda and Lego; everybody on this forum would've liked it as a kid.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

It was great when some guy somewhere in Games a while ago was saying how Minecraft is a just passing fad and you should instead get your kids something that's actually good and cool, like a Double Fine game.

Veib fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 23, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

al-azad posted:

Minecraft is in practically every department store. It is the largest single video game ever. It is Pac-Man, Super Mario, and The Sims put together.

And nobody serious about Minecraft plays vanilla Minecraft. Unless your Jick who thinks nobody plays modded Minecraft because running Java is some kind of alien concept. I listened to two podcasts of Video Game Hotdog and just can't anymore because of him. Out of every podcast I've listened to he reminds me the most of a loud radio jockey to the point where he can stun his guests and co-hosts in complete bafflement.

I just can't listen to podcasts where one person dominates the show, whether it's intentional or not.

Your bloviating aside, I think Zack thinking that kids could never figure out modding minecraft forgot the kind of nonsense those of us who grew up around old computers as a young kid figured out and or brute forced in order to play games up to and including (but this is by no means an exhaustive list) typing the instructions out of a book, figuring out how to dial a bbs, editing .bat files, sneaking floppies from home into the computer lab and visa versa etc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've seen toy Minecraft swords and picks before and thought "huh, that's cool", but seeing hardcover player's guides broken up by topic hit me on a much deeper level than those.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

At this point Minecraft isn't even a video game anymore. It has transcended "video game" and become a toy, and not like some Tickle Me Elmo poo poo or whatever, I mean like up alongside Barbies and Tonka trucks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Minecraft is this generation's Doom.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TetsuoTW posted:

At this point Minecraft isn't even a video game anymore. It has transcended "video game" and become a toy, and not like some Tickle Me Elmo poo poo or whatever, I mean like up alongside Barbies and Tonka trucks.

Exactly. It's not a genre, but it's a whole toy aisle in the minds and hearts of a good quarter of child humanity.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

al-azad posted:

I agree, he is unbearable.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I played Minecraft for about a week and am amazed that everyone else apparently failed to get bored of it after that long, but I've resigned myself to being in the minority on that one. The modding stuff remains baffling though - are there any actual numbers about how many people play modded minecraft? I feel like the kind of person that is going to post on SA about Minecraft or make a videogame podcast is way more likely to do something like install a videogame mod than the average guy and Zack is probably right. My opinions and assumptions about Minecraft have been shown to be garbage though, so I don't know.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Millions of people play Minecraft on consoles, so that's a big audience that definitely plays default, at least.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I played Minecraft for about a week and am amazed that everyone else apparently failed to get bored of it after that long, but I've resigned myself to being in the minority on that one. The modding stuff remains baffling though - are there any actual numbers about how many people play modded minecraft? I feel like the kind of person that is going to post on SA about Minecraft or make a videogame podcast is way more likely to do something like install a videogame mod and Zack is probably right, but my opinions and assumptions about Minecraft have been shown to be garbage so I don't know.

I'm the same but then I realise it's because I'm inherently un creative in that way. I used too be really into music production and could spend ages doing that but any thing visual/artistic I'm terrible at.

Minecraft must really appeal to people with a certain personality type.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Al! posted:

Your bloviating aside, I think Zack thinking that kids could never figure out modding minecraft forgot the kind of nonsense those of us who grew up around old computers as a young kid figured out and or brute forced in order to play games up to and including (but this is by no means an exhaustive list) typing the instructions out of a book, figuring out how to dial a bbs, editing .bat files, sneaking floppies from home into the computer lab and visa versa etc.

Don't forget the old dilemmas like "which drivers do I unload to free up 600 kb memory this game wants" and the follow-up "I can only have 2 working out of mouse, sound effects and music". Early pc gaming really made kids tech-savy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Randallteal posted:

Millions of people play Minecraft on consoles, so that's a big audience that definitely plays default, at least.

I know people with kids who only let their kids play minecraft not just on consoles but offline entirely. The kids still play it, a lot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Don't forget the old dilemmas like "which drivers do I unload to free up 600 kb memory this game wants" and the follow-up "I can only have 2 working out of mouse, sound effects and music". Early pc gaming really made kids tech-savy.

I was right there with a DOS print up taped to the side of the monitor. But watching my little sister work today she can solve complex problems with a 30 second Google search and that power shouldn't be ignored. Kids aren't getting dumber or less patient, they're probably more tech savvy now minus having to spend an hour looking up navigation commands.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

al-azad posted:

I was right there with a DOS print up taped to the side of the monitor. But watching my little sister work today she can solve complex problems with a 30 second Google search and that power shouldn't be ignored. Kids aren't getting dumber or less patient, they're probably more tech savvy now minus having to spend an hour looking up navigation commands.

In my experience, kids arent getting dumber, but they also are not getting better with technology, despite predictions that growing up in a world where they get an iphone at age 6 would make them automatically better with technology. What has changed is that technology is getting easier to work with due to massive improvements in UI and UX, and it being more idiot-proof. So most common problems are easier to fix. But as soon as anything that is a bit harder than 'go into settings and reset this option' pops up, most kids still dont know poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

In my experience, kids arent getting dumber, but they also are not getting better with technology, despite predictions that growing up in a world where they get an iphone at age 6 would make them automatically better with technology. What has changed is that technology is getting easier to work with due to massive improvements in UI and UX, and it being more idiot-proof. So most common problems are easier to fix. But as soon as anything that is a bit harder than 'go into settings and reset this option' pops up, most kids still dont know poo poo.

But at the same how often is there a need to do anything more than that? If future technology is all self contained you're less likely to encounter an issue that's a result of hardware instead of software.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kids today don't know what an IRQ is not because they're dumb, but because no normal person ever needs to know that poo poo now. If anything to do with IRQs shows up today, something is seriously wrong.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Idle thumbs should start a steam curators group/thingy. I'm sure the gamersgate people will have a field day but perhaps we should just ignore them as much as possible. RPS has one and I like it already.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered that a friend of mine taught English in South Korea and all the kids had nicknames they got to choose and call one another the same way you pick names like Hans and Sven in German class or whatever

One of them was Minecraft

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Jippa posted:

Idle thumbs should start a steam curators group/thingy. I'm sure the gamersgate people will have a field day but perhaps we should just ignore them as much as possible. RPS has one and I like it already.

There is one (complete with Eyes Of Allard icon) and it's pretty great.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

beef express posted:

There is one (complete with Eyes Of Allard icon) and it's pretty great.

Nice!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jippa posted:

They don't even talk about video games now, only about some conventions or board games. Ban them from this thread until they get back to it :)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

They don't even talk about video games now, only about some conventions or board games. Ban them from this thread until they get back to it :)

That's not fair, Danielle talks about a lot of games that are all five minutes long and are just about conversations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pyromancer posted:

My growing sense is that because there are so many conventions now and a small developer can't afford to miss any marketing opportunity, they're forced to float from convention to convention without rest like some sort of game ghost.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Minecraft is this generation's Doom.

Doom + Mario Bros with the merchandising of Star Wars. It's crazy.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Has anyone made the ultimate game of the '10s by throwing a MOBA into a Minecraft clone?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
At some point Remo (I think?) said Minecraft was this generation's Sergeant Pepper and it's absolutely true.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Every now and then I join some private minecraft server with mods and play for off and on for a month before I get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tequila posted:

Has anyone made the ultimate game of the '10s by throwing a MOBA into a Minecraft clone?

Man I dunno what you are talking about I was playing DOTA in 2004. Actually the most heavily I ever played DOTA was 2006, way more than how much I play today because I actually have things like a job and wife.

• Locked thread