Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."
Is the best bang-for-your-buck budget laptop still a used i5-2520M/8gb/1600x900/ Thinkpad T420? Not dying to spend over $400. It feels weird to buy such an old laptop, but if the CPU held up as well as my desktop's i5-2500k, it should be fine right? Pop a SSD in there and good to go?

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ragehaver posted:

Is the best bang-for-your-buck budget laptop still a used i5-2520M/8gb/1600x900/ Thinkpad T420? Not dying to spend over $400. It feels weird to buy such an old laptop, but if the CPU held up as well as my desktop's i5-2500k, it should be fine right? Pop a SSD in there and good to go?

Can you get by with a Chromebook, if you already have a desktop? What exactly do you need out of a portable device?

Yeah, a T420 or T430 used is a good bet if you need an OK laptop and can't spend more than $400.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 15, 2014

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Twerk from Home posted:

Can you get by with a Chromebook, if you already have a desktop? What exactly do you need out of a portable drive?

Yeah, a T420 or T430 used is a good bet if you need an OK laptop and can't spend more than $400.

It needs Windows (or OSX) on it, so a Chromebook won't work unfortunately.

Anyone have experience buying T420's from this vendor? They seem to post a lot of models with the right specs, but are pretty light on the details of the condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380996264310?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 15, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are there any catches with the 15" Macbook Pros? They pretty much never come up here, but I figure that's because very few people need the higher end hardware, right?

I need a Macbook for work, and they're buying it for me so I'm going to get the best thing I can with the $2000 budget.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Soooo...I'm going against the usual logic of buying a cheap laptop for work and a dedicated gaming desktop because reasons (Just got a job with an environmental company that works all over the southeast; I will be spending a lot of time in hotels). I've been out of gaming for a while and want something that can run Archeage, PS2, EVE, planetary annihilation, and star citizen at decent graphics and framerate....and I'm wondering if the new egg cheapo option will perform. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152586 (there it is).

Please brilliant goon sirs and madams, tell me how stupid I am.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Space Monster posted:

Soooo...I'm going against the usual logic of buying a cheap laptop for work and a dedicated gaming desktop because reasons (Just got a job with an environmental company that works all over the southeast; I will be spending a lot of time in hotels). I've been out of gaming for a while and want something that can run Archeage, PS2, EVE, planetary annihilation, and star citizen at decent graphics and framerate....and I'm wondering if the new egg cheapo option will perform. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152586 (there it is).

Please brilliant goon sirs and madams, tell me how stupid I am.

Don't get this. Get a Lenovo Y40 instead for the same price, it's a much better machine for that usage case. Also, it's not feasible to buy machines for Star Citizen at this time, who knows where it will be in a year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aphrodite posted:

Are there any catches with the 15" Macbook Pros? They pretty much never come up here, but I figure that's because very few people need the higher end hardware, right?

I need a Macbook for work, and they're buying it for me so I'm going to get the best thing I can with the $2000 budget.

It's kind of big and doesn't fit in most bags.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Ragehaver posted:

It needs Windows (or OSX) on it, so a Chromebook won't work unfortunately.

Anyone have experience buying T420's from this vendor? They seem to post a lot of models with the right specs, but are pretty light on the details of the condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380996264310?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For what it's worth I really like mine I got a few weeks ago. Can't comment on that seller though. It's nice to actually be capable of some light gaming when just hanging out watching TV plus its a solid feeling business class laptop. Like I said in my previous post you will not be blown away by the screen though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Aphrodite posted:

It can get hot at the top center/top in general if you're really stressing it. Mac keyboards don't have navigation keys so home/end/pg up/pg dn are fn + arrow keys.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I like mine but it's pretty drat heavy/large and makes traveling a bummer. I used to have a 13" Air which was a lot more manageable. If you need the horsepower of the 15" Pro, it's a great laptop.

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

For what it's worth I really like mine I got a few weeks ago. Can't comment on that seller though. It's nice to actually be capable of some light gaming when just hanging out watching TV plus its a solid feeling business class laptop. Like I said in my previous post you will not be blown away by the screen though.

Perfect, thanks. I didn't expect to be blown away, just need a cheap workhorse.

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 15, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carrying size is one I thing I didn't even think of. I already paid a lot for a nice laptop bag that I think only really fits up to 13".

I'm definitely getting a Pro, I just need to literally weigh the options I guess.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
We're talking about bags, so I thought I'd ask again if anyone has a recommendation for a neoprene type case for a T440s.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So, um, are there any good laptops to be had at $500 or less from Amazon?

Looking for something with a screen size of 13"~15.6" at a resolution of 1600x900 or any HD resolution for anything smaller than 13".

Use-case is web surfing and paper writing. It's going to be on a desk, so weight does not matter in the slightest. She does not want a Chromebook. Windows 7 preferred.

Pretty much restricted to Amazon.

Any suggestions?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

KingKapalone posted:

We're talking about bags, so I thought I'd ask again if anyone has a recommendation for a neoprene type case for a T440s.

I always get the sleeves from Waterfield bags https://www.sfbags.com

They have a chart that shows you the correct one to get for your laptop

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My last two sleeves were a pillow case and more recently a home (hand) sewn canvas number lined with pajama pants flannel.

Sleeves prevent unnecessary scrapes on the paint and keep dirt out of the keyboard and that's it. They provide no drop protection.

My "sleeves" have been to collectively 13 countries, mostly hard travel by public transit, and they did just fine, be careful about buying extra laptop accessories to meet your retail therapy needs... A pillow case from the linen closet is free... Give that a shot before blowing $30+ on something with a mechanical zipper or Velcro which will eventually fail.

That said, I still have my Waterford sleeve for my 15" PowerBook G4, circa 2002, it is in great shape, but it and the laptop bag it came in , could have been $200 better spent on something useful instead.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I do a good bit of traveling and I want a little version of my desktop basically. I'm trying to keep this thing around the $800 dollar mark but the cheaper the better.

Things I want:
Occasional gaming - CPU intensive stuff like Civ and other strategy games
Nice screen - Movies/media and some non-serious photo editing
Durable - I tend to not keep my electronics in pristine condition so something that can take a decent hit or two would be nice
Sturdy keyboard

Things I couldn't give a poo poo about:
Portability/Weight
Battery life
Graphics capabilities - I just want the game to run smoothly, I don't care if I'm playing on the lowest setting
Flashy bullshit extras

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know the Yoga 2 line was plagued with various problems, but how is the Thinkpad Yoga? We need a laptop at work for presentations, they want it to be a convertible, and it can't be Dell.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I'm looking to buy a laptop for my commute to work. Ideally, it would have 4g connectivity, ~12 inch screen, and probably run Windows, though I have been looking at chromebooks. I don't particularly care about ram or processor as long as they are adequate for light use (Internet, office, simple games, etc). My budget is around $500, though I'm open to more expensive suggestions. I found the hp chromebook 11 & 14, with the 14 being nice due to the free 4g data (200mb/month). No luck researching Windows laptops yet.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
I'm looking for a laptop for a rich old dude. Real requirement is a 17"-ish touchscreen; a 1TB+ HDD and a decent processor would be pluses and obnoxious "gaming" styling is probably a negative. The best options I've found so far are the Asus N750JK or a Dell Inspiron 17 Touch, and barring any advice to the contrary I'll probably go with the latter as it's a little cheaper and he'd prefer to stick below $1500, but I was hoping you guys could give some opinions/throw a few suggestions my way if there's something I've missed?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aphrodite posted:

I know the Yoga 2 line was plagued with various problems, but how is the Thinkpad Yoga? We need a laptop at work for presentations, they want it to be a convertible, and it can't be Dell.

I just picked up this guy

I think it's pretty slick but I haven't bought a laptop in 8 years and I haven't really used it for anything at all yet. Seems nice though, I had heard there might be problems with the screen but I haven't had any yet.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

I'm going to be in the market for a new laptop myself here in a week or two. I've gotten into pc djing and music production as a new hobby. I'm looking for something light and portable so I can have the possibility of bringing it with me to future gigs, but decently durable and reliable for the same reason. I'd also like to do some production on it, such as running a DAW like Ableton smoothly.

I know Mac is the typical go-to, but I'd prefer if possible to stick with windows. Cost isn't a big issue...up to $1500ish is doable ($2k a def no), but I'm obviously ok with a better value.

So I guess portable, powerful, durable? Not too big, but likely to last me a good 2, 3 years?

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
After finding out the Asus 551GM has the same screen as the Lenovo Y50, I'm back on the hunt for a 14" or 15" laptop for some light gaming. The latest one I'm looking at is the Gigabyte P34 and P35.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233052

Reviews I've read are pretty good. Anyone have any hands on experience on it?

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
Whats the word on the Radeon M275 in the Lenovo Y40? I'm looking for a 14" or smaller laptop that can also run some games for co-op with the girl.. (mostly minecraft, some action rpgs) but they dont need to be max settings.

Anyone with real world experience with it? Lenovo (Canada) has the Y40 with the 256gb SSD for $819 right now.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

whats the bees knees in ultrabooks for about 1k right now?

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

spacebrospiff posted:

whats the bees knees in ultrabooks for about 1k right now?

Lenovo Yoga 2/Pro can be had for around that much.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Hey dudes I am sellin' my Asus UX32VD in SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666371

In case any of you are interested.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

what about
http://www.adorama.com/ASUX303LN71T...-z7IaAp3I8P8HAQ

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung Chromebook on Woot: http://computers.woot.com/offers/samsung-11-6-dual-core-16gb-chromebook

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
My grandpa is looking for a laptop for real basic use (web browsing, word processing, etc). Since his vision is getting worse, he said he would prefer a laptop with a 17" screen so he had more screen space in case he wants to blow up the size on things. Any cheap recommendations in this range? I can't imagine he needs much as far as specs go.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

acer aspire s7 or lenovo yoga 2????? they are the same price.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

spacebrospiff posted:

acer aspire s7 or lenovo yoga 2????? they are the same price.

Yoga 2. If you're willing to go with Apple, the Macbook Air is also a great choice

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
These were just release from Dell.

http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/exclusive-offers?&cs=6099&link_number=17967581#%21exclusive-pc-deals&link_number=119078384

It's a more powerful selection of their 13" 2-in-1 laptops with a flipback screen to act as a tablet. Comes with built in stylus. They only had Celeron and Pentium offerings before but these are the i3 and i5 versions.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
FYI: Thinkpad T420 for $399 at Newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3TX2064547&cm_mmc=SNC-Twitter-_-HotDeals-_-NA-_-NA

Thinking about picking it up as all the ones off eBay are getting sniped constantly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BoyBlunder posted:

FYI: Thinkpad T420 for $399 at Newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3TX2064547&cm_mmc=SNC-Twitter-_-HotDeals-_-NA-_-NA

Thinking about picking it up as all the ones off eBay are getting sniped constantly.

I jumped on this. Great price and I needed a laptop for my sibling.

LastDay
Aug 7, 2007
I didn't want the stupid newbie avatar

dahkren posted:

Whats the word on the Radeon M275 in the Lenovo Y40? I'm looking for a 14" or smaller laptop that can also run some games for co-op with the girl.. (mostly minecraft, some action rpgs) but they dont need to be max settings.

Anyone with real world experience with it? Lenovo (Canada) has the Y40 with the 256gb SSD for $819 right now.

Where do you see that? I've been eyeing it, but all I see are them with hybrid drives

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's the best I can get in the 600-700 USD range? The most important thing for me is physical build quality, as its going to be carted around in a backpack a lot of the time, and when I'm at home for break my family seem to be very poor about using laptops gently. I will be installing Linux and using it primarily for programming. My last laptop was 15.6", and that was okay, but I'd rather have the extra portability of a 14" rather than the bigger screen and numpad.

The features I'm interested in, after build quality:
- The highest resolution screen possible at this budget (probably going to be 1600*900, but fingers crossed).
- Intel Wi-Fi would be wonderful because they never drop the ball on drivers, but after that whatever will be least frustrating on Linux.
- This is probably hoping for too much, but if you found me a laptop like this with an SSD I'd love you forever. It actually doesn't need to be that big, since I'll only be installing what I need for development and these are just school projects so the code, even in a VCS, should be well under a single GB for a given project.

I could be persuaded to stretch the budget by another 50-150 dollars if doing so was a significant improvement, like an 1920*1080 IPS screen or something, but I have to end it there because otherwise I'll be climbing the ladder of "just another 50 bucks" until my bank account is dry. :saddowns:

As for brands: I'm not picky, but having owned an Acer E-series I'm going to shy away from them unless their more expensive models are actually good. On mine, the point where the hinge mounts to the bottom piece of the body broke, and since the body is made of two independent plastic pieces, opening the laptop causes that hinge to push up against the top piece, prying the housing open. We got it repaired and it broke again within two weeks, although that could just be the repair job being bad (which is odd, they seemed to know their stuff) or the aforementioned lack of gentleness on the part of my family.

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
^

A stretch budget idea: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-11-9p33/pd?oc=dncwe3000h&model_id=xps-11-9p33
This is usually not this low.

XPS 11 - $899.99
i5/4GB/128SSD with 2560 X 1440 Ultrasharp display
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006

LastDay posted:

Where do you see that? I've been eyeing it, but all I see are them with hybrid drives

They changed it today.. the sale was supposed to last until the 24th, but, today there is no longer any SSD option on the canadian site and it's like 31% instead of 41% off. American site still has the 256gb SSD model for $819.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Do you mind refurbished? I picked up a yoga 2 pro with the nutso high res screen for 650 refurbished and it looks brand new. check the Lenovo outlet maybe and see what's available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VostokProgram posted:

- Intel Wi-Fi would be wonderful because they never drop the ball on drivers, but after that whatever will be least frustrating on Linux.
I have this:

ellic posted:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0
And it's very finnicky about the router it's connected to. I'd say it's just me or Lenovo, but my mom has a Sony laptop which has only this wifi chip in common and it does the exact same thing: pretend you don't have an internet connection (other devices on the same router have no problem), somehow gently caress up the router, bringing down the internet connection or the wifi entirely, so it needs to be rebooted and generally gently caress wifi speeds in the rear end hard if you should dare to use the Bluetooth for audio. All this multiple times a day.

The Bluetooth thing can be circumvented by working on 5GHz exclusively, apparently (which I can't due to other devices not supporting it). Or not using BT for audio. The other issues can be worked around by trying different brands and models of routers until you find one the wifi chip likes. Which is what both I and my dad did. Like it's 2004 or something.

This "fixes" it to the point where you can go days, sometimes weeks between problems.

I really want the answer to be "don't buy lovely routers", but in both situations, 7260 AC was the only thing having problems at all. A wide variety of other devices, like laptops, tablets, smartphones, tvs and whatever all worked supremely fine, including the BT thing where applicable.

One of the Surface Pros had similar issues and Microsoft mostly fixed it with a firmware update.

You look this up on the internet and all you get suggested is to update the Intel wifi driver and it hasn't helped one bit for the last seven versions of it or so.