Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bloodnose posted:

It could be just like APB.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
All that worry and then none of you actually talked about the announcement? Take a look.

Really it seems to be... Sleeping Dogs plus other players, minus a singular storyline. It's too early to tell if it'll actually be any good, but I was decently surprised by Nosgoth, maybe this will turn out alright too. But at least it isn't a MOBA. Much like Nosgoth, actually. :v:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

So it's an open world MMO/GTA Online Sleeping Dogs? I can get down with that

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Save for the whole Nexon thing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Save for the whole Nexon thing.

It's not being published by Nexon, they seem to be making two PC only online games in 2015. It will have a cash shop though judging by the video.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I really hope that the free money and XP DLC's aren't included on the next gen versions or at least that they connected to a on/off toggle.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
After watching the video - I'm hopefully. I did not expect to enjoy Sleeping Dogs as much as I did.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The fact that it's not on consoles and not single player absolutely blows but at least it's not some kind of f2p moba. They haven't completely lost their poo poo! Hopefully this will fund a real next gen sequel.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kilometers Davis posted:

The fact that it's not on consoles and not single player absolutely blows but at least it's not some kind of f2p moba. They haven't completely lost their poo poo! Hopefully this will fund a real next gen sequel.

As long as the general mechanics and gameplay are largely unaltered, I'm pretty hopeful for this. Sleeping Dogs was great, even on KB+M, this really boils down to a question of content and if it's pay to win.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't see why this couldn't be done on next-gen consoles too, unless it is pay to win I guess.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Sleeping Dogs APB? We'll see I suppose.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Not as bad as it could have been. Although without Square-Enix, there's no Sleeping Dogs branding.

Edit: I guess square-enix is still involved? Still no sleeping dogs branding though.

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I liked the concept of APB but the gunplay and matchmaking killed it for me. Sleeping Dogs has amazing driving, shooting, and beat-em-upping. All that remains is how PvP is handled.

I assume there's going to be at least two factions, 18k and Sun-on-Yee, perhaps more. I dislike the idea of each player being an "enforcer" that runs their own gang, it removes what I like about MMOs in that organizations are entirely organic.

Something that worries me is the prevalence of guns in the gameplay footage we've seen. Something I liked about Sleeping Dogs is that you often had fist-fights and gunfights weren't as prevalent. I'm not sure how they're going to keep that in Triad Wars, assuming players can carry sidearms at all times. What's going to stop people from just using guns all the time?

Anyway I'm still hype

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Bought this game today. I shredded someone's face in a ceiling fan. Best game ever.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Gushing Granny posted:

Bought this game today. I shredded someone's face in a ceiling fan. Best game ever.

Pssh. Get back to me when you impale somebody on a fish.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Gushing Granny posted:

Say really lovely puns to enhance the experience.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Gushing Granny posted:

How many pork buns have you bought and eaten?

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Athenry posted:

How many pork buns have you bought and eaten?

Two, but the count is sure to rise.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Crappy Jack posted:

Pssh. Get back to me when you impale somebody on a fish.

I'm sure he'll get the point.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gushing Granny posted:

Two, but the count is sure to rise.

You not real man without pork bun

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I hope we can play as lady triads, assuming there is character creation. Also does anyone else find it amusing that two major companies are basically making APB-a-likes years after realtime worlds crashed and burned so horribly? :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
No one could accuse me of being any kind of multiplayer fan, but I'm not disheartened by the news of the online-only Sleeping Dogs. With each new game there is always room for developers to improve upon an existing concept, even one I'm not totally in love with. And what made Sleeping Dogs shine wasn't necessarily its gameplay, but the neon-and-pork-bun atmosphere of murder-free Hong Kong. I'm down for another trip there.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Man the sequel news is heartbreaking. I would rather have no game to be honest.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Here's the AMA they did: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2h95js/hi_reddit_united_front_games_makers_of_triad_wars/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wait it's asynchronous multiplayer? What?

And PC only and not on Steam. Okay.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Yodzilla posted:

Wait it's asynchronous multiplayer? What?

And PC only and not on Steam. Okay.

It's lining up to be the worst possible Sleeping Dogs game outside of an IOS/Android exclusive.

Cellphone style f2p multiplayer, not on steam, developers are insisting you make your own story so probably bare minimum story elements (I'd say branching story paths but we all know thats not happening), and thats just from day 1 of it's reveal.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I hope we can play as lady triads, assuming there is character creation. Also does anyone else find it amusing that two major companies are basically making APB-a-likes years after realtime worlds crashed and burned so horribly? :v:

No female characters are planned, according to an AMA the developers did.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Crappy Jack posted:

No female characters are planned, according to an AMA the developers did.

Welp, it's been a fun ride, see y'all.

Christ it's an MMO the least they could have done was put in something for literally half the loving population.

Or was modelling the characters too expensive?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Welp, it's been a fun ride, see y'all.

Christ it's an MMO the least they could have done was put in something for literally half the loving population.

Or was modelling the characters too expensive?

I'm sure they would say it is totally unrealistic to have women running around as gangsters, despite Sleeping Dogs ending with a woman running the entire Yakuza gang you were in, in a game where you drive around a supercar with a machine gun turret and impale zombies on swordfish noses.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm sure they would say it is totally unrealistic to have women running around as gangsters, despite Sleeping Dogs ending with a woman running the entire Yakuza gang you were in, in a game where you drive around a supercar with a machine gun turret and impale zombies on swordfish noses.

They never said "no female characters", just that there weren't any right now in the unreleased game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, if you're gonna say something loaded like that you probably should do a direct quote:

So they said 'no', but it's more like 'not that we know of' than 'no'. You can't really gather a lot of context from one sentence either way.

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't know if you know this but there are many people who can still play video games without issue even if their character does not match themselves exactly. It would have been nice to have female triads from the get-go (assuming the 'not that we know of' means 'maybe') but you probably shouldn't let that make or break the game for you.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 26, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, if you're gonna say something loaded like that you probably should do a direct quote:

So they said 'no', but it's more like 'not that we know of' than 'no'. You can't really gather a lot of context from one sentence either way.

I don't know if you know this but there are many people who can still play video games without issue even if their character does not match themselves exactly.

No really?

It's a matter of principle.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Of course, if the game did let you play female characters, then they could get beat up by male characters. This has it's own unfortunate implications - remember all the DX:HR videos where Jensen knocked out female NPCs? A "video game models domestic abuse" news story is not something any game developer/publisher wants to be a part of right now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Of course, if the game did let you play female characters, then they could get beat up by male characters. This has it's own unfortunate implications - remember all the DX:HR videos where Jensen knocked out female NPCs? A "video game models domestic abuse" news story is not something any game developer/publisher wants to be a part of right now.

You don't really see that in other games where you can choose your gender though?

I mean the media is hideously stupid so fair, but still.

Honestly I get the motivation here, it's less 'realistic' (sure, whatever), most players aren't going to be female (also true), yada yada yada.

Still doesn't make it right though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

You don't really see that in other games where you can choose your gender though?

I mean the media is hideously stupid so fair, but still.

Honestly I get the motivation here, it's less 'realistic' (sure, whatever), most players aren't going to be female (also true), yada yada yada.

Still doesn't make it right though.

You do; another example would be Mass Effect, there are people offended about the "punch the woman reporter" bit because domestic violence, even though a Shepard of any gender can punch the reporter.

It's not even just the media; you have at least one DA (Marin County) saying violent video games are a cause of domestic violence.

I think saying "well they're just MRA types" is unfair. If the only difference in the characters is appearance, then UF would be placing themselves in the bullseye of the media and at least one DA for having a game that models "men beating up women" (because unlike most games where you can pick your sex, this game has almost exclusively melee combat); a risk-averse company would just remove it and say "welp now it's just men beating up men and that's apparently ok."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In terms of actual portayals and not news-scaremongering, having female characters that fight on equal playing fields as male ones and can thus get beaten up just as they beat up, is not bad. It's certainly better than if they were just passive characters whose only plot function were to be killed off to serve as motivation for the male protagonist, like, uh... (yes I know that's only one of them)

Focusing specifically on this game, the "strategy" component feels like a pretty blatant spot for energy "boost" microtransactions and Facebook spam, which means this game would immediately go to the garbage bin. The fact that they hemmed and hawed on this exact point in the AMA doesn't bode too well.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'm certain that they were pressured into such, considering that even Nintendo has to fend off investors demanding microtransactions ("Why NOT charge $0.99 for higher Mario jumps?!").

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/pre-order-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-now

Square Enix just put out some new info on the Definitive Edition alongside the announcement that you can now pre-order on each platform. Of interest to me is that the Steam version is only $30, and if you already own the old version of the game it's knocked down by 50% to only $15. The post also details some of the differences between the old PC version running the HD texture pack, and the new version.
  • Reworked character faces
  • New particle and ambient effects, like volumetric fog
  • Improved draw distance
  • Difficulty balancing (both for things that were deemed too easy and too hard)
  • Additional breakable objects in environments
It's nice to get some specific details about the differences. This fall/winter is kinda stacked in terms of games I want to get, so I won't be picking up the new version immediately but at $15 I'd have no problem double dipping just to do my part to support the franchise.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Oh wow, that's actually pretty great. I'm going to definitely get this once it gets out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Spatula
Jul 15, 2001

I like the pole and the hole, and right now I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In terms of actual portayals and not news-scaremongering, having female characters that fight on equal playing fields as male ones and can thus get beaten up just as they beat up, is not bad. It's certainly better than if they were just passive characters whose only plot function were to be killed off to serve as motivation for the male protagonist, like, uh... (yes I know that's only one of them)

Focusing specifically on this game, the "strategy" component feels like a pretty blatant spot for energy "boost" microtransactions and Facebook spam, which means this game would immediately go to the garbage bin. The fact that they hemmed and hawed on this exact point in the AMA doesn't bode too well.

Are you talking about Wei's sister? Because Wei's "girlfriend in the fridge" was more Jackie Ma I thought.

• Locked thread