Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So to get this to let me watch videos from my computer, all I'd have to do is run PS3 Media Server or a similar app on my PC, correct? Or is it more difficult than that?
poo poo, I'm trying this out now and watching a movie I had on my computer and it looks great and sounds great with the 6's speaker :stare:

This is gonna be so rad for when I'm in the kitchen cooking/eating. I just need to get a stand for my phone so I can keep it in landscape mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah nPlayer owns :hfive:

For watching videos from your computer you can just do it over the normal file sharing in Windows if you're doing it over the LAN, then in nPlayer connect over the SMB/CIFS option. Depending on the files and network you might need to mess with the network settings in nPlayer but I think the defaults are conservative enough to handle most stuff.

(for remote watching it'll work if you know how to connect outside but it's not really ideal cause the bandwidth needed)
I'm curious about the app itself since they only show the widget interface there. I'm using Readdle Calendar (apparently I got it free at some point), seems fine in app but there's no reminders at all in its widget. Basically I'm using the iOS Reminders widget but using Calendar's (or just Siri) for actually making reminders for now.

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 22, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

japtor posted:

I'm curious about the app itself since they only show the widget interface there. I'm using Readdle Calendar (apparently I got it free at some point), seems fine in app but there's no reminders at all in its widget. Basically I'm using the iOS Reminders widget but using Calendar's (or just Siri) for actually making reminders for now.

The only thing the "app" portion of Agenda+ allows you to do is manage the widget's settings.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone have feelings regarding a new thread? or should I just update this one?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Anyone have feelings regarding a new thread? or should I just update this one?

With iOS 8 out, I would restart it, especially with yosemite coming soon

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Before anyone buys Agenda+ it looks like the app sorts reminders alphabetically regardless of date. Doing you have an apple to eat tomorrow and a banana today, well, oh well.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Take a look at wunderlist. Great looking reminders/tasks app with neat sharing capabilities and a nice widget.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bullshit "iOS 8 compatibility" releases that don't support the new screen sizes. Looking at you Chrome.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Will Chrome be able to add 1Password extension functionality? I'm enjoying it a lot in Safari, which has also apparently taken huge leaps forward since I stopped using it.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
1Password is making me feel dumb (also, I am dumb). I installed it from the App Store since it was free, but then the options for syncing were iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or sync to your Mac that already has 1Password installed. I don't have any of those things, so that would mean that all the passwords I put in there just stay on my iOS device? That doesn't seem super-useful to me.

Using Touch ID to enter passwords is pretty cool, but Safari can already remember passwords. And Touch ID integration & extensions just came out in iOS 8. People already loved this thing before iOS 8 so I'm just trying to figure out why. There must be something I'm missing here. I guess people just use it with Dropbox?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hey! posted:

1Password is making me feel dumb (also, I am dumb). I installed it from the App Store since it was free, but then the options for syncing were iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or sync to your Mac that already has 1Password installed. I don't have any of those things, so that would mean that all the passwords I put in there just stay on my iOS device? That doesn't seem super-useful to me.

Get Dropbox.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I use Dropbox, it's free. Plus I use Dropbox for other things besides the (tiny filesize of) 1Password Vault. The real reason I also use 1Password is that it also works on Windows and with more web browsers. So I can access all the passwords in Chrome on my PC Desktop, my Mac Laptop, and my iPhone.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
Dropbox it is, thanks.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Hey! posted:

Those of us excited about it are probably mostly people who already own 1Password for Mac/PC/both. However, if you use something like Dropbox to sync, I think you should have a read-only version of the 1Password files by going into the folder it uses for sync and opening 1Password.html with a web browser. Still not a great value proposition if you don't already have 1Password on another platform.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Hey! posted:

Using Touch ID to enter passwords is pretty cool, but Safari can already remember passwords. And Touch ID integration & extensions just came out in iOS 8. People already loved this thing before iOS 8 so I'm just trying to figure out why. There must be something I'm missing here. I guess people just use it with Dropbox?

1Password is most useful when you use it on the desktop as well as your phone.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Yes. This is the functionality that I originally switched to Android for. The default Today screen calendar is just a bunch of wasted space unless literally your whole day is scheduled.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How do you get 1Password to work in Safari? I'm looking in all the options but see absolutely nothing.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How do you get 1Password to work in Safari? I'm looking in all the options but see absolutely nothing.

Open the share menu, swipe the bottom menu with "add bookmark/reading list/homescreen/etc" to the left and hit "More". There should be a switch in there to activate it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I search the app store for "agenda+" and the app whose name starts with the string "agenda+" is like the 10th result after a bunch of stuff whose names don't include the word agenda.

Apple :argh:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Annoying that VLC has gone from the App Store. Wish I'd backed it up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't understand what you guys mean by big gaps. This is what my calendar looks like in my today pane.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I've been using the LastPass plugin in Safari and found it to be hit and miss. Most of the time it works great, but fairly often I find that opening the Lastpass plugin and clicking on the matched site nothing happens. This happens most often on sites that have a pop up window inside the webpage (like GOG.com for example). It's also a common problem with the autofill feature on the Web Browser plugin, but it's not a big deal there since I can right click on the password entry and copy the password and manually paste it in. I was hoping if did a long-touch (or whatever you call it) on the entry in the Safari plug in I'd get a similar menu, but unfortunately that doesn't work and I have to open the LastPass app to copy the password like I used to.

Are people having similar problems with the 1Password plugin? Does the 1P let you copy the password if autofill doesn't work? Is that even allowed or is the plugins ability restricted by what Apple allows?

I've also noticed that even though I keep putting LastPass as the first entry in the plugin list, it keeps ending up as the last every time I go to use it. Seems more like an iOS 8 bug rather than a LastPass problem.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

choobs posted:

I've been using the LastPass plugin in Safari and found it to be hit and miss. Most of the time it works great, but fairly often I find that opening the Lastpass plugin and clicking on the matched site nothing happens. This happens most often on sites that have a pop up window inside the webpage (like GOG.com for example). It's also a common problem with the autofill feature on the Web Browser plugin, but it's not a big deal there since I can right click on the password entry and copy the password and manually paste it in. I was hoping if did a long-touch (or whatever you call it) on the entry in the Safari plug in I'd get a similar menu, but unfortunately that doesn't work and I have to open the LastPass app to copy the password like I used to.

Are people having similar problems with the 1Password plugin? Does the 1P let you copy the password if autofill doesn't work? Is that even allowed or is the plugins ability restricted by what Apple allows?

I haven't seen this issue (yet, at least) with 1Password. 1Password does allow you to copy the password from the extension if you want.

quote:

I've also noticed that even though I keep putting LastPass as the first entry in the plugin list, it keeps ending up as the last every time I go to use it. Seems more like an iOS 8 bug rather than a LastPass problem.

Yep, this is an OS bug. I've given up on ordering my extensions for now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone was waiting on Palaver (IRC app) to be updated it finally came out. The iOS 7 redesign sure took a while :v:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
edit: wrong thread

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 22, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Update for Swype just got pushed out. Hoping it stops the stock keyboard from appearing when in non-password fields. :unsmith:

Edit: First glance it appears they added the Full Access option that SwiftKey already has.

Edit #2: And nope, the stock keyboard still appears in Messages after waking the phone. :smith:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 22, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Couple dumb ios8/1Password questions.

Still on my iPhone 5 but gonna be on my 6+ by week's end. Downloaded 1Password cuz it was free.

Here's what I envisioned:

I'd have 1password. Which has extensions or whatever, and would allow me to log into poo poo on Safari (iOS) via TouchID.

I downloaded 1Password. I started adding some sites/urls/logins/passwords to it.

Now what? I noted that someone in this thread said to go to Safari then the share icon then "more..." then hit the 1Password toggle. It's "on" now.

How do I make it so when I go to a site, it auto logs in, or whatever?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Feenix posted:

Couple dumb ios8/1Password questions.

Still on my iPhone 5 but gonna be on my 6+ by week's end. Downloaded 1Password cuz it was free.

Here's what I envisioned:

I'd have 1password. Which has extensions or whatever, and would allow me to log into poo poo on Safari (iOS) via TouchID.

I downloaded 1Password. I started adding some sites/urls/logins/passwords to it.

Now what? I noted that someone in this thread said to go to Safari then the share icon then "more..." then hit the 1Password toggle. It's "on" now.

How do I make it so when I go to a site, it auto logs in, or whatever?

Doesn't work that way. Using the extension just populates the username and password fields. You still have to initiate the login. The way your describing is for when you use 1Password's internal browser. Not that way either, I'm thinking of the desktop version.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 22, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Doesn't work that way. Using the extension just populates the username and password fields. You still have to initiate the login. The way your describing is for when you use 1Password's internal browser. Not that way either, I'm thinking of the desktop version.

Ok, I see. Thanks. So let me see if I get what you are saying.

IF I put in a url of a site (that requires a login) into 1Password and provide the L/P as well, and then turn on 1Password extension, whenever I go to said site, it will just autofill the L/P and I click submit and I'm in?

[edit] Where the gently caress did I get ANY kind of notion that 1Password would use TouchID now that the API was available?!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Feenix posted:

Ok, I see. Thanks. So let me see if I get what you are saying.

IF I put in a url of a site (that requires a login) into 1Password and provide the L/P as well, and then turn on 1Password extension, whenever I go to said site, it will just autofill the L/P and I click submit and I'm in?

[edit] Where the gently caress did I get ANY kind of notion that 1Password would use TouchID now that the API was available?!

You still use TouchID to get into your vault after you tap the 1Password extension in Safari. If you have the login setup with a URL it should autoselect the correct login so you just tap it to populate the fields and just press login in the browser.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You still use TouchID to get into your vault after you tap the 1Password extension in Safari. If you have the login setup with a URL it should autoselect the correct login so you just tap it to populate the fields and just press login in the browser.

I see. Thanks. That's cool and all, but iOS Keychain just seems... faster? Am I missing something? (Maybe it's that 1Password is more relevant if used on other devices like a computer...)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Feenix posted:

I see. Thanks. That's cool and all, but iOS Keychain just seems... faster? Am I missing something? (Maybe it's that 1Password is more relevant if used on other devices like a computer...)

You're not wrong. That's Keychain's purpose. 1Password is for those who want an extra layer of security and portability that covers iOS, Android, Mac and Windows. Like me for example. Also the password generator is a great thing to have when creating new logins.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Anyone happen to know how to email myself my chat history in Whatsapp? I'm following the instructions found here, but when I "Tap the contact's name or group subject in the navigation bar." I get nothing. Anything else I can do, or something I'm missing?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Feenix posted:

Yeah, you really need 1Password for PC or Mac (or Android) to really see much benefit out of it. On the desktops it integrates into basically every browser and will log in for you, generate random passwords, notice when you create an account or update a password and update its entry, keep track of other info like credit card numbers and the like and sync them around. I love the extension, but I have 1Password on my Macs and my PCs. I also use the Safari Keychain but on my desktops (especially my PCs) I don't always use Safari, so 1Password is my "source of truth" for passwords.

The other use case for it over Safari's Keychain is that they have 3rd party apps using the extension, not just Safari. So that might be useful eventually as hopefully more apps take advantage of it, especially if LastPass ends up supporting the design 1Password proposed for generic app password access.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I really wish Tweetbot had an iPhone 6 update. It's the only part of my iPhone 6 that I don't care for as of now. Once it's out, I'll be happy. It's okay if I turn the text size all the way down, but it's still lacking and fuzzy looking on the 6.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

whenever i press "top charts" or "search" in the Podcasts app, it freezes. how can i fix this?

edit: restarting the iPhone i guess

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 23, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

whenever i press "top charts" or "search" in the Podcasts app, it freezes. how can i fix this?

edit: restarting the iPhone i guess

Use a podcast app that isn't a complete piece of poo poo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What would cause an app to say I don't have internet connection when i clearly do? (Wunderlist) I tried over WiFi and LTE and can load their site via desktop with 0 problems.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

japtor posted:

I use nPlayer, looks kinda funky but works well once you actually start using it, and a lot of the controls are customizable. And if you happen to have a HDHomeRun it can steam live TV straight from those too.

Nplayer looks nice, it didn't have a crash in the 10 minutes I tested so it's already better than VLC, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
For media choices you either have nPlayer (powerful) or Plex (it does everything for you). Both are great and you just need to pick one based on your needs. I prefer nPlayer because I'd rather not have to fiddle with host software.

Everything else is either lacking in the featureset either of those have or they're just garbage. I've tried most, if not all, of the media players and wasted a fair amount of lunch money so I'm pretty confident in that statement.

VLC is a straight up joke of its desktop counterpart I don't know why people insist on it.

I feel something like this should go in the OP. People ask for Plex or nPlayer all the time.

• Locked thread