Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i just don't understand mac hotkeys and i don't want to learn

but most of the good dev jobs give/make you use a macbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Corla Plankun posted:

most of them are the same as windows just with CMD (command) in place of CTRL

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

how hard is it to put linux on a mac laptop? is it the same amount of janitoring as a normal laptop?

just install linux in a VM

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

mac laptops come w/ Linux preinstalled

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

mac laptops come w/ Linux preinstalled

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
Anyone ever have surprise winmail.dat files show up on their outbound e-mail? I even verified the message I sent to ensure it was html, yet the receiver got a winmail.dat on top of that they were running outlook which means they shouldn't see a loving stupid winmail.dat file.

I'm using office 2013 and office 365 exchange.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

Anyone ever have surprise winmail.dat files show up on their outbound e-mail? I even verified the message I sent to ensure it was html, yet the receiver got a winmail.dat on top of that they were running outlook which means they shouldn't see a loving stupid winmail.dat file.

I'm using office 2013 and office 365 exchange.

this will happen if something in between breaks the message format which can be anything at all for any reason even none whatsoever.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i once tried to make a thing to reassemble broken TNEF messages but there's just so many edge cases it was a nightmare

please use email for text and lets come up with something better than multipart mime to send a file to each other

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i once tried to make a thing to reassemble broken TNEF messages but there's just so many edge cases it was a nightmare

please use email for text and lets come up with something better than multipart mime to send a file to each other

but how will i have all my stupid corporate shitlord social networking links?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the most beautiful fuckup was someone forwading an "incredibly rude" message. The whole thing broke and their reply to it got eaten, and everyone just saw the original "verbose" message attributed to the new sender. :newlol:

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
look the answer

http://www.rjhillard.com/eliminate-winmail-error-with-office-365-or-hosted-exchange/

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

but most of the good dev jobs give/make you use a macbook

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

the most beautiful fuckup was someone forwading an "incredibly rude" message. The whole thing broke and their reply to it got eaten, and everyone just saw the original "verbose" message attributed to the new sender. :newlol:

lol

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
My mplayer on linux seem to have problems with high bitrate files while firefox and something like MPC on windows plays it fine. What gives?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

program666 posted:

My mplayer on linux seem to have problems with high bitrate files while firefox and something like MPC on windows plays it fine. What gives?

Is Linux

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

program666 posted:

have you tried the opengl output (-vo gl), or using mpv instead?

suffix fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 19, 2014

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

suffix posted:

have you tried the opengl output (-vo gl), or using mpv instead?

Just installed mpv to try it out and it plays everything perfectly, including a 50MB/s mp4 video, thank you very much.

Also yeah, I had tried -vo gl. I tried a lot of stuff actually and only "-lavdopts lowres=fast:skiploopfilter=all" worked. Everything else makes mplayer spits that "your system is too slow" thing.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
anyone know why this happens when i try to save files from the interwebs? happens both in Chrome and Firefox. the entire browser crashes!!!! sometimes it works, but 90% of the times it doesn't.

halp

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Granbar posted:

anyone know why this happens when i try to save files from the interwebs? happens both in Chrome and Firefox. the entire browser crashes!!!! sometimes it works, but 90% of the times it doesn't.

halp

well it looks like Favorites is spelled wrong!!!

but where is your default save directory. where does C:\Users\%username%\Downloads point to

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

anthonypants posted:

well it looks like Favorites is spelled wrong!!!

but where is your default save directory. where does C:\Users\%username%\Downloads point to

beats having windows set to norwegian!!!

i changed the default download location in chrome to something else and now it works. thansk!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
sometimes, my pc fan has been buzzy the last couple of weeks. it'll be just fine, and then it'll do this whirrrr-buzz-whirrrr-buzz thing, and it makes me a little nervous :ohdear:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

sometimes, my pc fan has been buzzy the last couple of weeks. it'll be just fine, and then it'll do this whirrrr-buzz-whirrrr-buzz thing, and it makes me a little nervous :ohdear:
replace it, or deal w/ it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

prefect posted:

bash yr pc case when the noise happens, might make u feel better or if u get lucky put a temporary stop to the noise

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp

buy one of these smythe

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

bash yr pc case when the noise happens, might make u feel better or if u get lucky put a temporary stop to the noise

ray rice problem solving tips

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

ray rice problem solving tips

"There's all this gelatinous webbing that you have to stick your hand in just to turn it on, and then once you do, it starts, like, yelling for 30 seconds or so," said Shane Brick, a 38-year-old beta tester in San Francisco, adding that he "actually felt kind of bad for it." "The maintenance is ridiculous, too: Once a month it sheds all of its skin, and you need to shave the USB ports every couple days."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know if smythe and prefect are the same person

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

how do those compare to noctua?

also noctua fans do not like fingers dont even

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

I don't know if smythe and prefect are the same person

that would be some jekkyl and hyde poo poo

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i have some of those mag lev fans and they only sound they make is the blades hitting the air

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm should I upgrade pc to be quieter????!!!!!!!?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

hmm should I upgrade pc to be quieter????!!!!!!!?

wish you dupgrade your posts to be quietere!!!!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

cant wait till steve abolishes fans

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

theadder posted:

cant wait till steve abolishes fans

yospos endlösnung.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
my almost ten year old intellimouse explorer 3 is finally losing its poo poo by doing the double-click thing and i think it's time for me to get a new one because i'm no longer the kind of person who disassembles things to repair them

is the logitech m705 as good as the reviews say it is or am i going to hate it

[edit] and since i don't really need a wireless one should i just get an m500 instead

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 23, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i am asking this here because i don't know who else might know, also this story is really funny

i got a random phone call from a guy who said "i am calling from microsoft help and tech support. we have detected that your computer is throwing errors and warnings. this also means you are downloading technical faults which are causing stopages of Microsoft services on your computer".

basically, these guys are trying to steal my computer over the phone, which is really ballsy

they had me open up msconfig, go to the services tab, and asked me "how many of the services are showing as 'stopped'?" when i said "like 50", he said "oh my goodness, that is very bad! i am going to send you to level 2 support now!"

level 2 support guy told me to type in iexplore ammyy.com (it's a lightweight remote desktop app), and then tried to give me the number so he could have control of my computer, at which point I called him a dick

so, uh - first off, this scam is blowing my mind. they're using the phones to send tricksy e-mail spam. second off, does anyone know who i should report these guys to? i would like these people to go to jail if at all possible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theflyingorc posted:

i am asking this here because i don't know who else might know, also this story is really funny

i got a random phone call from a guy who said "i am calling from microsoft help and tech support. we have detected that your computer is throwing errors and warnings. this also means you are downloading technical faults which are causing stopages of Microsoft services on your computer".

basically, these guys are trying to steal my computer over the phone, which is really ballsy

they had me open up msconfig, go to the services tab, and asked me "how many of the services are showing as 'stopped'?" when i said "like 50", he said "oh my goodness, that is very bad! i am going to send you to level 2 support now!"

level 2 support guy told me to type in iexplore ammyy.com (it's a lightweight remote desktop app), and then tried to give me the number so he could have control of my computer, at which point I called him a dick

so, uh - first off, this scam is blowing my mind. they're using the phones to send tricksy e-mail spam. second off, does anyone know who i should report these guys to? i would like these people to go to jail if at all possible

lol I guess but this isn't new and they aren't going to jail

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Captain Foo posted:

lol I guess but this isn't new and they aren't going to jail

thats sad

they also told me "i'm sure you've heard about the china people who have been hacking us computers"

that's not a paraphrasing, he actually tried to scare me about "the china people"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theflyingorc posted:

thats sad

they also told me "i'm sure you've heard about the china people who have been hacking us computers"

that's not a paraphrasing, he actually tried to scare me about "the china people"

Yeah here's some deets

“Hello, I‘m definitely not calling from India. Can I take control of your PC?”
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/hello-im-definitely-not-calling-from-india-can-i-take-control-of-your-pc/

"I am calling you from Windows": A tech support scammer dials Ars Technica
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

Troy Hunt: Interview with the man behind Comantra, the “cold call virus scammers”
http://www.troyhunt.com/2012/05/interview-with-man-behind-comantra-cold.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
this has been going on for years and i'm deeply surprised you haven't already heard about it