Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
So my text message sound is off when I'm in my car. Is this a phone setting somewhere or is it just how it works with bluetooth in cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

By the way, 6 Plus is a lovely name on the level of Nintendo's handhelds (3ds, 3dsxl, 2ds, new 3ds). Ugh.
They could always start using Extreme again. Or Pro. And I just realized Plus was an old Mac thing too.

kernel panic posted:

I got my new 6 today and everything seems perfect, except for the fact that whenever I scroll on a light background there seems to be something like a bar pattern on the screen - light and dark, about 8 different sections, almost like a backlight defect. Has anyone heard about or experienced anything like this? Googling turned up nothing.
Can you link a specific example? Kinda curious wherever it's just a solid light color or if there's a subtle pattern, the latter can cause some funky effects on LCDs.

Damo posted:

They surmised the lovely FPS has to do with the down scaling the 6+ has to deal with constantly. I figured the 6+ would take a hit in GPU performance due to the scaling, but yeah, pretty surprised how big the hit actually is. I'm sure it only noticeably impacts the performances of the phone in games with complex graphics, so you likely won't see it in normal day-to-day usage. Hopefully.
Not the scaling*, simply the raw resolution. The 6 is drawing about a million pixels, the Plus has to draw 2.74 million pixels, with what appears to be the same GPU.

*And I vaguely recall OpenGL and other stuff being able to draw directly to the screen pixels without scaling so the scaler should be a moot point anyway.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Ah ok, makes sense what you said about just having to push twice the pixels. I guess having half the FPS makes sense when it has to draw twice the pixels. I'm no expert on this stuff, I was just repeating what I read. Maybe I got it wrong or (less likely) they did.

I'm a little surprised Apple was fine with that and didn't include a better GPU to lessen the effect. Seems a shame to have that huge screen but not enough power to push high quality graphics at an FPS comperable to the 6.

I wonder how it's going to affect games. Will they keep things a little less graphically intense so they perform well on 6 and 6+, or will the 6+ versions just have lower quality compared to the 6 versions to keep the FPS similar across both?

Then again, these are 3DMark tests, who knows if the FPS will be quite that different in real world applications.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 23, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

japtor posted:

They could always start using Extreme again. Or Pro. And I just realized Plus was an old Mac thing too.

iPhone 7fx

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm glad there's a toggle for Reachability because it's terrrrrrrible. Whoever decided binding it to almost the same double tap motion as the multitasking screen should be shot on sight. It should have been some type of pinch gesture. I was accidentally enabling it every 15 minutes before I switched it off for good. What a laughable concept with the cheapest execution.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 23, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Killer Queen posted:

I'm glad there's a toggle for Reachability because it's terrrrrrrible. Whoever decided binding it to almost the same double tap motion as the multitasking screen should be shot on sight. It should have been some type of pinch gesture. I was accidentally enabling it every 15 minutes before I switched it off for good. What a laughable concept with the cheapest execution.

It'd be pretty funny to make a feature that is meant for people who are trying to use one hand use two hands to activate.

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

Killer Queen posted:

Pinch would need to use more than one digit. Reachability works when operating the phone with just your thumb. I always thought Apple could use the whole of the bottom bezel as a multitasking slider thing.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Damo posted:

Ah ok, makes sense what you said about just having to push twice the pixels. I guess having half the FPS makes sense when it has to draw twice the pixels. I'm no expert on this stuff, I was just repeating what I read. Maybe I got it wrong or (less likely) they did.

I'm a little surprised Apple was fine with that and didn't include a better GPU to lessen the effect. Seems a shame to have that huge screen but not enough power to push high quality graphics at an FPS comperable to the 6.

I wonder how it's going to affect games. Will they keep things a little less graphically intense so they perform well on 6 and 6+, or will the 6+ versions just have lower quality compared to the 6 versions to keep the FPS similar across both?

Then again, these are 3DMark tests, who knows if the FPS will be quite that different in real world applications.

Considering 99% of phone gaming is Clash of Clans/Flappy Bird/Candy Crush etc, 3DMark benchmarks are spectacularly useless for phones. I'm not surprised that they exist, but I genuinely don't get why people would pay any attention to them other than the obvious fanboy dickwaving reasons.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

saihttam posted:

So my text message sound is off when I'm in my car. Is this a phone setting somewhere or is it just how it works with bluetooth in cars?

Yeah, I suspect it's playing the alert to bluetooth audio and if you aren't listening to something from your phone it'll be ignored. The "correct" way for your car to handle it is to use the Bluetooth Message Access Profile to get notified about new messages and alert you, but not that many cars do that. Most only deal with audio playing and the hands free protocol for phone calls.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to delete all the photos off my old iPhone? I want to use it as an iPod touch and free up space for music/podcasts but I can't figure out how to delete photos en masse.

Maybe I just need to delete the whole phone and start over.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to delete all the photos off my old iPhone? I want to use it as an iPod touch and free up space for music/podcasts but I can't figure out how to delete photos en masse.

If you have a Mac, then you can easily do it with Image Capture, I have no idea if you have a Windows machine.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Killer Queen posted:

Number of times I've activated reachability when I didn't mean to: 0

I didn't think someone could mess up pressing a button twice yet here we are.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

OTOH, I didn't think you could invent a new way to touch a button, but Apple did it.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

smackfu posted:

Just connect your phone via USB like normal, the iPhone shows up as a digital camera in My Computer, then just open it up and delete the image files/folders like you would any other files on your computer. Super easy.

Or, if you are on a mac and use iPhoto, it gives you the option to delete photos from your phone after you've imported them to your computer.

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 23, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Seriously. I don't have my 6+ yet but I honestly cannot imagine accidentally double touching the home button enough times for it to be a reoccurring problem. I guess there always has to be someone to complain about any given feature or change.

Oops, meant to edit my last post. Sorry for the double post.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's amazing to use when driving especially if you use your phone for GPS like I do. I just wish you could make it so the Siri screen dismisses on its own.

Saying "Hey Siri go away" works. "Get out of here" works too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to reset all app notification permissions?

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

choobs posted:

Saying "Hey Siri go away" works. "Get out of here" works too.

I was going to say this but got self conscious because I thought that even though it worked on my iPad, it might not work on the iPhone? (I just want my 6 Plus, drat it.)

I did once say "Hey Siri, gently caress off." and legitimately felt bad because she seemed pretty sorry for bothering me.

'Her' is going to be a reality some day, guys.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DarkestLite posted:

'Her' is going to be a reality some day, guys.

I hope not. The last thing I need is for my phone to start ignoring me too.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
My only gripe with the 6 plus reachability is I still can't comfortably reach the left side of the screen to swipe back a page. I wish they would have allowed a left to right swipe anywhere at the screen bottom.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

When I first got the phone I kept accidentally doing it by resting/hovering my thumb over the home button. I thought it was some keyboard glitch until I read about reachability here. At which point, I immediately turned it off.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Having an iDevice on a dock and the Hey Siri feature really does feel like Star Trek.

When you're really busy with something else in the room but need to look something up, yelling at your house and getting an accurate response is Jobs-level magical.

I can see it being a big hit in the kitchen while cooking and having Siri look up measurement conversions without walking away from what you're doing. Also, having both hands full with a baby/child and still being able to get info hands-free is a real thing I appreciate.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hey Siri is cool but it has a hard time figuring out what I'm saying on Michigan's lovely roads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey Siri is cool but it has a hard time figuring out what I'm saying on Michigan's lovely roads.

Use your captain kirk voice.. big pause between each word and enunciate each syllable.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

dutchbstrd posted:

Nice. For reference they both look like this after 2 years.

Mine are all like this now. I had no idea Apple would actually replace them though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

gohmak posted:

My only gripe with the 6 plus reachability is I still can't comfortably reach the left side of the screen to swipe back a page. I wish they would have allowed a left to right swipe anywhere at the screen bottom.

So what you're saying, is you'd prefer reachability be more like this:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I won't be satisfied until the phone can actually read my mind and do the thing I want it to do without any interaction at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM&t=21s

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RVProfootballer posted:

This is more or less what I would like if I ever used Reachability for anything.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RVProfootballer posted:

While that image made me throw up in my mouth a little, what he was really asking for was just a larger swipe area (which the iPad apparently has?).

I've compensated for the small swipe area by using my left hand as my main phone interaction hand.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

noirstronaut posted:

This is more or less what I would like if I ever used Reachability for anything.

Maybe a finely crafted Samsung Galaxy Note 4 would be more up your alley, then.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I too wonder if that would suit his needs.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Ah, perfect. I'll sell my iPhone to get an Android phone because it incorporates a feature I never use better than iOS does. Perfect.

Anyway, how would someone go about removing service from a Verizon phone if they want to sell it? With AT&T, you just remove the SIM.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Sure wish my big iphone had a way to negate that huge screen and just show a tiny shrunken moronic patch for my baby fingers, instead of a quick and easy double tap every once in a while.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm sorry I would hypothetically use this feature differently than you guys.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Anyway, how would someone go about removing service from a Verizon phone if they want to sell it? With AT&T, you just remove the SIM.

Take out the SIM card if it's a 4G LTE phone. If not, I believe you just have to activate another phone on the same line to deactivate the other.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

dutchbstrd posted:

Nice. For reference they both look like this after 2 years.

Mine all went like that on the Lightning end but not the USB end. I had no idea that replacement was an option! Looks like I'll be bringing a bunch of cables with me next time I'm near an Apple store.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lblitzer posted:

Take out the SIM card if it's a 4G LTE phone. If not, I believe you just have to activate another phone on the same line to deactivate the other.

This would be the case for a 5, yeah? I'm asking because I had a loaner 4S from a friend and even after taking out the SIM, it still showed Verizon in the status bar and had service (didn't test calling, took out the SIM so I couldn't connect to data).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sure wish my big iphone had a way to negate that huge screen and just show a tiny shrunken moronic patch for my baby fingers, instead of a quick and easy double tap every once in a while.

Maybe showing a tiny shrunken moronic patch for baby fingers could be a triple tap on the home button.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

RVProfootballer posted:

Maybe showing a tiny shrunken moronic patch for baby fingers could be a triple tap on the home button.

Quadra tap the button to start playing my sick new EDM mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Quadrant tap the button to start playing my sick new EDM mix

The 2 hour one or the 24 hour one?