Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Does anyone have the little assembly sheet for Warlord's Soviet Infantry?

The one that came with my box is for Germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Does anyone have the little assembly sheet for Warlord's Soviet Infantry?

The one that came with my box is for Germans.

Have got it sitting literally beside my keyboard - still got half a box of them to build

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

AWESOME! Thank you.

I could have probably figured it out, but who wants to?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
300 point Confident Shithouse T-34, haha holy poo poo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Leo Showers posted:

300 point Confident Shithouse T-34, haha holy poo poo

That's not even particularly good value in EW terms, especially when they're gonna be H&C.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Who knows, they might get a really aggressive H&C discount :v:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So basically the T-34s are just going to get own-zoned by a smarm of cheaper tanks, 300 points probably buys a few tanks.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Well, it depends on whether the Germans get the upgunned Panzer IIIs or not, because otherwise there's not much outside of 88s, howitzers and Panzerjaegers that can really threaten T-34s.

Oh, and assaults, because lol conscript

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Leo Showers posted:

So basically the T-34s are just going to get own-zoned by a smarm of cheaper tanks, 300 points probably buys a few tanks.

They're going to be own-zoned because they're in always attack forces that are going to have to attack and expose themselves, particularly that side armor 4 with hen and chicks. Tankovy will probably be best with something cheaper. I suspect Valentines may be a much better value, actually, though the lend-lease tankovy is rather limited.

Keep in mind that there'll be like 4-5 on the board max in any game, and they're less well armored than Matilda IIs, so if you can deal with Matty 2s, you can deal with T-34s.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I suspect that you will see very few T-34's and KV's outside of Motostrelk and Strelkovy companies unless you play at stupid high points levels. (above 1700 or so).

The only things that that seem interesting about that book from my perspective is that the Russians get Fearless stuff (confident sucks when you are always pinned or bailed because conscript) and probably also git Zis-3's.

The tanks lists are meh unless there is some wrinkle in the units themselves we haven't seen yet.

German-wise its much the same, the lists look to be a bit better (because they represent forces from later in the war) so they will probably replace all similar lists from previous books.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leo Showers posted:

From my brief browsing, the only force that would "weenie swarm" the T-34 would probably be the Russians themselves. There are few tanks that can really tip the scales completely in their favor. Most things can't take on a T-34 head on, even en masse, and those that can are still small in number, with only 2 to 3 available at 300 points (either because of the points, or because that's the limit on the platoon).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

YF19pilot posted:

From my brief browsing, the only force that would "weenie swarm" the T-34 would probably be the Russians themselves. There are few tanks that can really tip the scales completely in their favor. Most things can't take on a T-34 head on, even en masse, and those that can are still small in number, with only 2 to 3 available at 300 points (either because of the points, or because that's the limit on the platoon).

An full Italian Carri platoon costs about as much as a single T-34 and can kill it from the side. EW tanks are not that expensive, and Germany has plenty of access to AT 8-9(though perhaps not in tanks themselves) which is enough to kill a T-34 from the front.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's also no guarantee that the stats will be the same. The T-28 changes from book to book seemingly randomly.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Panzeh posted:

An full Italian Carri platoon costs about as much as a single T-34 and can kill it from the side. EW tanks are not that expensive, and Germany has plenty of access to AT 8-9(though perhaps not in tanks themselves) which is enough to kill a T-34 from the front.

I'll have to breeze through Hellfire and Back and Burning Empires, but in strict terms of armor, the AT8 stuff from the Germans in Blitzkreig are 0/0/0 armored Panzerjager Is and an infantry gun platoon, the first you can only have three in a platoon, and two in the latter with ROF of 1 (granted a firepower of 1+). There are things that can kill the T-34, yes, but I don't think there is anything that can do it effectively and in such numbers as to tip the scales clearly in their favor, on a point by point basis. Basically I'm looking at this from a "what can I get for 300 points" sort of deal, not really a whole packaged army deal, because I'd have to see the new Russian armies first before I can make that determination.

One on one, 300 points of 'x' vs. a single 300 point T-34, there are some things that can hurt it, nothing to really match it, and few, if any, that go above and beyond what the T-34 can handle. Two PzIVDs cost 300 points and have to flank the T-34 for a kill. Even my beloved M13/40s are a slow tank, and for 300 points you'd only take 4, and have to be in short range to kill on the flank, making it's armor all but useless against the T-34. We'll have to see what it looks like when it gets here, but I don't think the T-34 is going to be so horribly overpriced that it's useless. Also, the HQ is 300 points, it's possible the individual units are cheaper since HQ units often times have a points cost associated with any special rules.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

YF19pilot posted:

I'll have to breeze through Hellfire and Back and Burning Empires, but in strict terms of armor, the AT8 stuff from the Germans in Blitzkreig are 0/0/0 armored Panzerjager Is and an infantry gun platoon, the first you can only have three in a platoon, and two in the latter with ROF of 1 (granted a firepower of 1+). There are things that can kill the T-34, yes, but I don't think there is anything that can do it effectively and in such numbers as to tip the scales clearly in their favor, on a point by point basis. Basically I'm looking at this from a "what can I get for 300 points" sort of deal, not really a whole packaged army deal, because I'd have to see the new Russian armies first before I can make that determination.

One on one, 300 points of 'x' vs. a single 300 point T-34, there are some things that can hurt it, nothing to really match it, and few, if any, that go above and beyond what the T-34 can handle. Two PzIVDs cost 300 points and have to flank the T-34 for a kill. Even my beloved M13/40s are a slow tank, and for 300 points you'd only take 4, and have to be in short range to kill on the flank, making it's armor all but useless against the T-34. We'll have to see what it looks like when it gets here, but I don't think the T-34 is going to be so horribly overpriced that it's useless. Also, the HQ is 300 points, it's possible the individual units are cheaper since HQ units often times have a points cost associated with any special rules.

It's the kind of thing where you have to see the specifics, though. I'm fairly sure the Germans will get better access to Pak38s in Barbarossa as well as new and improved tank destroyers as well as discounts on it all to accomodate the creep. We'll see what happens with them.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Also, the HQ is 300 points, it's possible the individual units are cheaper since HQ units often times have a points cost associated with any special rules.

5 points at most for being the HQ unit. There is 0 chance of these soviet lists having any special rules beyond those seen in Rising sun (or not having H&C since i've seen some wishful thinking on that point on other forums).

They might not have the "Must take at least 1 combat platoon of the same type as the HQ" rule (I don't think the Rising sun lists had that) so you might be able to skimp and take the HQ as a BT-7 or something and then 1 platoon of T-34's.

Personally I don't see them being viable, If I can I might run 1-2 T-34's or a single KV as support for a T-26 horde though. A T-34 company is just too many points sunk into too few tanks.

Assuming max T-34's, you got 5 tanks with no support at 1500. Sure you will ruin the day of that guy running a Char company but that's about it. Anybody running infantry or medium/light armor will just swarm you. Roll enough dice and you are going to roll five 1's. I've been playing with the points (using Rising sun costs for the CC tankovy) and the less t-34's you have the better the list.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Battlefront's Early War sale is going on right now.

I know this because I just bought 6x Panzer 35(t)... for Late War. :romania:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Project 18mm Waterloo is coming along nicely I think. drat it's a pretty scary experience using GMB Designs flags for the first time. "Must. Not. Ruin. Expensive. Flags!" And of course I ended up doing some damage on some of them anyway.

They're modelled after Picton's 5th Division. Doing up 8th and 9th Brigades at the same time, and will reinforce with 10th Brigade from 6th Division. I also found a Picton model that fits in scale with the rest of the models, and I'm looking forward to painting him up too. Umbrellas and top hats in combat all day erryday :britain:

Painting a regular Foot batallion takes me about a week if I only paint a couple of hours each night. The Highlanders take... a bit longer. :suicide:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Picton owns. I've got him in 6mm

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 20, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

These are awesome. I'm really really tempted to get a group/phalanx/whatever they're called but I know if I get one I'll need a table-full! Once I get a unit of WW2 guys painted up I want to start a Wars of the Roses or medieval unit, but rows of men with rifles look really cool too.

What size are the Perry Miniatures models? I had a look at their site and judging from the pricing they seem to be 28mm but they don't actually say (that I can find)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Regiment but more usually when fielded, a battalion.
Perry are 28mm

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

Picton owns. I've got him in 6mm

He really does. I bought the pack he was in from AB miniatures first and loved the detail and sculpt. Too bad he was noticeably too small compared to the other mounted models, so I had to buy one from Newline Designs instead. That was a perfect fit size-wise, but I don't know if it was an old mould or something, because the detail was atrocious. I'm counting on him looking better when I've gotten him painted.

krushgroove posted:

These are awesome. I'm really really tempted to get a group/phalanx/whatever they're called but I know if I get one I'll need a table-full! Once I get a unit of WW2 guys painted up I want to start a Wars of the Roses or medieval unit, but rows of men with rifles look really cool too.

What size are the Perry Miniatures models? I had a look at their site and judging from the pricing they seem to be 28mm but they don't actually say (that I can find)

Thanks. You should totally go for it. Linear formations with colourful uniforms are awesome. If you'd like something in a smaller scale than 28mm I can recommend AB miniatures. Unfortunately, cost was an issue for me and my group, so we got a great deal on Man at War models, but it's a bitch finding stuff that fits in scale with those models. Some of the Newline 20mm fits, some are way too chunky.

(also, those aren't rifles, but muskets)
:goonsay:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Regiment. 28mm. Muskets. Got it!

I'm building up my M4A3 Shermans from Plastic Soldier Company, from Wikipedia I take it the most common armament is the 76mm gun, right?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Lucky for you, massive spergs have kept a meticulous record of how many M4A3s were made with what kind of gun.

4671 75 mm M4A3s, including those with wet ammo racks and without, excluding Jumbos
4542 76 mm M4A3s, all types of 76 mm guns
3039 105 mm M4A3s

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Guys at my club are doing lots of Napoleonics using 1/72 plastics, and they look great.

Heres a batrep from a big game at the club a couple of weekends back

http://lurkusspleen.wordpress.com/2014/08/25/battle-of-the-four-nations-black-powder/
http://lurkusspleen.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/battle-of-four-nations-black-powder-more-pictures/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lucky for you, massive spergs have kept a meticulous record of how many M4A3s were made with what kind of gun.

4671 75 mm M4A3s, including those with wet ammo racks and without, excluding Jumbos
4542 76 mm M4A3s, all types of 76 mm guns
3039 105 mm M4A3s

Thank goodness for massive nerds!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Thank goodness for massive nerds!

Are you planning on playing any particular system? Surly they have guidelines on what the composition of your platoons should be given a certain period/theater.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Numlock posted:

Are you planning on playing any particular system? Surly they have guidelines on what the composition of your platoons should be given a certain period/theater.

ehhh...actually I was going to look up how the infantry should be laid out. From what I understand so far, if I put the individual men on bases as FoW stipulate I can use the same bases in other systems? I have a feeling we'll play FoW but since I've got Cold War Commander I might get a copy of Blitzkrieg Commander too. I think in the UK FoW is pretty popular in the 15mm scale?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Has anyone played Chain of Command or Bolt Action at 15mm? I got some gift certs for miniatures for my birthday and I'm tempted to try out something in 15mm. Might make the ranges seem less 40k'ish (at least for Bolt Action).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've played Chain at 15mm, the ranges seem a lot more realistic and the D6 movement feels better because the guys appear to cover more ground.

Plus you can get a whole army for the cost of a FoW blister and bases.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Bolt Action question:

Is it better to have squads with mostly matching weapons (so everyone has a rifle or everyone has an SMG), or to mix it up a bit? I can see both arguments, but having not actually played the ruleset yet, I'm curious how it work on the tabletop.

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore

Bolt Action question:

Is it better to have squads with mostly matching weapons (so everyone has a rifle or everyone has an SMG), or to mix it up a bit? I can see both arguments, but having not actually played the ruleset yet, I'm curious how it work on the tabletop.

The thing that changes is how many dice you get a particular range. So the question is, do you want all your dice at every range or less dice at long ranges but more at close range?

Personally I like mixed rifle units with the NCO having an SMG. But go with what you're comfortable with.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Matching weapons is nice if possible but the important thing is to maximize the number of order dice you have by having as many squads as possible, even if they have to be smaller. Also LMGs are almost never worth the two men given up by paying the points for them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I never really thought about the LMG points.

I have 500 points of British Airborne and 500 of German Heer, each have LMGs, so I may keep it just for consistency, but those are good points.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Bolt Action question:

It's better to arm historically or stop playing Warhammer WW2 😉

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

These are historicals, you arm with whatever the Quartermaster gives you :goonsay:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Sero won't be happy until everyone itt is playing rulesets that you can only order as scans of typewritten paper that are delivered by fax

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

It's better to arm historically or stop playing Warhammer WW2 😉

Well it's the Red Army, so arming them "historically" is rather up in the air.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
As the scenery in the vids is mostly historic I thought I'd post here.

Lindy Beige: Making scenery for wargames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qDkJFFNtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTTUyXOIAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYotmflDzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl9PUJfRJTg

Some of his techniques seem downright quaint compared to what some people do for scale model stuff; but I think there is good info to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He seems like a dedicated luddite really. Got some great ideas, but very much wishes it were the 30's.