Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!
I saw a girl wearing a surgical mask waiting for the bus on campus yesterday. I am on an urban campus in Pennsylvania.

It didn't look like the flimsy/disposable sort that they have in the doctor's office. It matched her sweater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's super common in Japan. People basically don't take sick days until they are dying here. I'm not sure how much they help but it's considered pretty rude to not wear one if you're obviously sick.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This sounds like something a downsy Hank Hill would say, and then Dale Gribble would flip up the shades on his glasses and squint at Hank and give him a visual pat-down, as if searching for some sort of trap. Finally, Gribble would nod to himself, apparently satisfied. "You're starting to see things for what they really are," he'd say to Hank in his nasal voice. Then he'd grab Hank by his thick wrist, twisting the wisps of brown arm hair as Gribble led him back to his dungeon-command-center for rigorous orientation.

Look at the facts:
Every (every!) College President is a woman, yet every single one of them runs the exact same agenda.
There are secondary and even tertiary installations of ordinary facilities on every single campus, which inevitably leads to rampant confusion when events are held. "But which theater is the showing of Waterworld being held at?" And then you end up with people getting trapped at the wrong theaters--something our government constantly toes the edge of the proverbial pool on funding research for.

If you ask me, it'd be a drat good thing for our government to claim ownership of every single one of these schools, if only to keep them on a tighter leash and summarily destroy redundant facilities. Refer to King of the Hill S8E21 "The Redneck on Rainey Street" for at least three reasons why this is the best (or perhaps only) outcome, including young over-achiever Connie being rejected on the basis of being Chinese.

I don't know if this is supposed to be mocking me or something but I was really just remarking on how bad people are simply at managing things sometimes, I don't think there are specific agendas or whatever cooked up conspiracy theory, I just plain think half the time the people in charge are woefully incompetent.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Strategic Tea posted:

Where do sick people wear surgical masks, out of curiosity? The only place I've ever heard of them being commonplace is India/China, and then to keep smog out rather than illness in.

I did, when I had some sort of nagging respiratory infection during flu season and couldn't afford to miss classes. But I also sat 3ft away from everyone and kept hand sanitizer on my desk. I had gotten them from the student health center, not wal-mart or whatever.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Razorwired posted:

Then I can't host a fundraiser involving food and a crew of certified volunteers. Because the President signed some kind of blood pact with the catering company.

Ugh, gently caress Aramark forever. I think there's only one day at my school where we're allowed to sell our own food and if I remember correctly it's at the end the semester.

My complaint for the entire 2 years I've been here: loud as gently caress nerds in the cafeteria taking up like 2 tables with their laptops and doing poo poo like screaming for no reason and loudly talking about doctor who slash fiction in public, what the gently caress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HOLY gently caress posted:

My complaint for the entire 2 years I've been here: loud as gently caress nerds in the cafeteria taking up like 2 tables with their laptops and doing poo poo like screaming for no reason and loudly talking about doctor who slash fiction in public, what the gently caress.

There's a Starbucks in the library building where I work. What you've described is one of the more common crowds who frequent it.

Other common library Starbucks scenes:

* The bio/chem/premeds who look like they haven't slept in days chugging coffee while frantically studying.

* The seriously author wannabes who sip iced coffee while writing scripts or novels on their laptops that they're sure will be a huge hit once they find a publisher.

* The engineering students. Similar to the premeds, but more fedoras and body odor.

* The ultra-self-important business students who show up at 7 AM in business coats and ties.

* The anime nerds and bronies. Even worse hygeine than the engineers usually.

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Sep 23, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Justin Godscock posted:

Really? The core of Polish jokes and stereotypes are them being not very bright and only good for manual labor as a result. It's more of a European thing, though, because that's where the diaspora mostly is.

I heard them all the time in the US during the 80s. It was a popular era for the "How many X does it take to screw in a light bulb" jokes. Poland was also part of the Warsaw/Commie pact, so it was justified to be against them if you weren't a card-carrying, pinko-commie.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Cythereal posted:

There's a Starbucks in the library building where I work. What you've described is one of the more common crowds who frequent it.

Other common library Starbucks scenes:

* The bio/chem/premeds who look like they haven't slept in days chugging coffee while frantically studying.

* The seriously author wannabes who sip iced coffee while writing scripts or novels on their laptops that they're sure will be a huge hit once they find a publisher.

* The engineering students. Similar to the premeds, but more fedoras and body odor.

* The ultra-self-important business students who show up at 7 AM in business coats and ties.

* The anime nerds and bronies. Even worse hygeine than the engineers usually.

*The MtG players smelling up a cafeteria table yelling about which cards you can or can't play and why

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astrofig posted:

*The MtG players smelling up a cafeteria table yelling about which cards you can or can't play and why

Haven't seen any of those. If my university has a MtG scene, they steer clear of the library starbucks.

Then again, I avoid our actual cafeteria.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just looked up why Aramark is so terrible and jesus christ, they treat employees about as bad as they do the food. :stare:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Zeether posted:

I just looked up why Aramark is so terrible and jesus christ, they treat employees about as bad as they do the food. :stare:

We have Sodexo. Now I thought the food was overpriced garbage in general but then I found out it's how the school manages it. I've had to visit other colleges that use then and the food was good.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zeether posted:

Yeah, my university uses Aramark and so working at campus dining seems to be the only thing below Walmart in what everyone seems to dread working for most.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
- I'm a pre-med, and we take anatomy & physiology along with the nursing students. There are tons of middle aged women going back to school for their nursing degree, and they constantly interrupt the professor to talk about their kids. It's never even relevant. :fuckoff:

- Almost every day some dipshit will try to "give me the cremb". I know I'm a tall guy but it's not loving funny. It's just annoying.

- Saw a guy smoking an e-cig in class today. Obnoxious as hell. It may not smell as bad as a normal cigarette but I still don't want to smell it... can't wait until they pass laws on this crap.

- Some people here smell like they've never showered in their life. :barf:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

HOLY gently caress posted:

Same except Cards Against Humanity instead of slash fiction

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

It's crazy to most normal people for the president of a college to be sending out morality emails to students. She should have more important things to worry about.

Our President sent out morality emails all the time. But then again, I went to a University known for throwing things at opposing sports teams.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck and you know these shitstains aren't loving going anywhere important, they just want to look the part in their Burlington Coat Factory blazers

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck and you know these shitstains aren't loving going anywhere important, they just want to look the part in their Burlington Coat Factory blazers

They're business students. If they were going anywhere important they wouldn't be drinking coffee in the university library at 7 AM.

I actually don't mind the premed types intruding in the library as a group. All they ever want is somewhere to load up on caffeine (or booze) and alternately study and freak out over coursework and exams.

For all that one of our faculty likes to wear a shirt reading "Saving lives, one failed pre-med at a time," they're pretty decent library patrons.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Steampunk iPhone posted:

- I'm a pre-med, and we take anatomy & physiology along with the nursing students. There are tons of middle aged women going back to school for their nursing degree, and they constantly interrupt the professor to talk about their kids. It's never even relevant. :fuckoff:

:cawg: Yeah, for loving real. Literally all the middle-aged women I see at this school are nursing students or actual professors.

quote:

- Almost every day some dipshit will try to "give me the cremb". I know I'm a tall guy but it's not loving funny. It's just annoying.

What is this?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Astrofig posted:

I saw two of our resident dorks swapping notebooks once. I thought they were note sharing for lab classes or something. Nope, they had written down "perfect" decks for MtG or something and were arguing about which one would theoretically win.

I like playing board games and D&D with friends. But gently caress people that eat up a third of our cafeteria space for that poo poo.

Between the four tables they use and the nonstop playing of Ocarina of Time music on the piano that crowd has driven everyone else out of our Student Union Building. All tolerable people are in their major's tutoring center or the multicultural centers for lunch/socializing. It's become such a dead zone that staff and student workers in those areas have just been given a memo that we're supposed to actively tell students to hang out in the SUB.

Steampunk iPhone posted:

- Saw a guy smoking an e-cig in class today. Obnoxious as hell. It may not smell as bad as a normal cigarette but I still don't want to smell it... can't wait until they pass laws on this crap.

This poo poo is why our student body quickly voted to extend the campus smoking ban to e-cigs/vapes. All those candy puffing morons had to do was be cool about it and nobody would have given a gently caress. But literally everyone I see with an e-cig has to sit at the front of the class, puff on it constantly and reply to requests to knock it off with "It's just water vapor :smug:"

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I'm allergic to tobacco smoke and asthmatic, so I'd rather have a hundred jerks smoking e-cigs in class than one guy chain-smoking a metre from the door.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Razorwired posted:

This poo poo is why our student body quickly voted to extend the campus smoking ban to e-cigs/vapes. All those candy puffing morons had to do was be cool about it and nobody would have given a gently caress. But literally everyone I see with an e-cig has to sit at the front of the class, puff on it constantly and reply to requests to knock it off with "It's just water vapor :smug:"

Why do they behave like this? The only possible outcome of doing poo poo like that is pissing people off. Do they think someone's going to see that display, swoon, and timidly ask them how they look so cool, or how they get away with smoking in class?

"Heh, it's just water vapor :smug:"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Why do they behave like this? The only possible outcome of doing poo poo like that is pissing people off. Do they think someone's going to see that display, swoon, and timidly ask them how they look so cool, or how they get away with smoking in class?

"Heh, it's just water vapor :smug:"

It's basically that - they want to argue about it. In their mind, they are "educating" people, not pissing you off - and even if they do know they are pissing you off, they are still "spreading awareness". It's a more confrontational version of the people who whip out whatever gadget/game/book they are into whenever they are in public. They want you to ask about it so they can sperg out about it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's basically that - they want to argue about it. In their mind, they are "educating" people, not pissing you off - and even if they do know they are pissing you off, they are still "spreading awareness". It's a more confrontational version of the people who whip out whatever gadget/game/book they are into whenever they are in public. They want you to ask about it so they can sperg out about it.

I've never seen it work this way, though. The only asking that goes on is the professor/manager/whatever asking the smug fucker to knock it off.

Eh, gently caress 'em. It won't be long before that poo poo is banned indoors anyway.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How big are these schools you guys go to that have cafeterias where a group of people can take up such a large amount of space? Like, I always assumed my University had smallish facilities but the food court is 5 stories and has like 40 different restaurants/types of food from fast food to salads to barbeque to almost any kind of food you can think of with enormous amounts of space inside and outside as well as two little grocery store things that sell cooking essentials. It blows my mind to read about how smelly nerds can take over or how you have such poo poo selection. I do agree with the parking gripes though mine are more that they keep building more parking garages instead of updating buildings :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ramadu posted:

How big are these schools you guys go to that have cafeterias where a group of people can take up such a large amount of space? Like, I always assumed my University had smallish facilities but the food court is 5 stories and has like 40 different restaurants/types of food from fast food to salads to barbeque to almost any kind of food you can think of with enormous amounts of space inside and outside as well as two little grocery store things that sell cooking essentials. It blows my mind to read about how smelly nerds can take over or how you have such poo poo selection. I do agree with the parking gripes though mine are more that they keep building more parking garages instead of updating buildings :argh:

Do you go to school in an airport or large shopping mall or something? I went to one of the larger (~50k students) Universities in the country, and they had three main places to eat - two cafeteria/buffet style ones, and one food court that had a wendys, subway, and a couple other fast food places. The seating areas weren't tiny, probably capable of seating a couple hundred people each. I would find having 40 different places absurd for a school dining area - unless you are referring to like the "pizza" section of the buffet thing as a separate place from the "salad" section or something.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ramadu posted:

Parking at the Mall of America has always been a pain

e: f,b :argh:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Murphy Brownback posted:

Do you go to school in an airport or large shopping mall or something? I went to one of the larger (~50k students) Universities in the country, and they had three main places to eat - two cafeteria/buffet style ones, and one food court that had a wendys, subway, and a couple other fast food places. The seating areas weren't tiny, probably capable of seating a couple hundred people each. I would find having 40 different places absurd for a school dining area - unless you are referring to like the "pizza" section of the buffet thing as a separate place from the "salad" section or something.

Mine is 45k students. Theyre all seperate restaurants not like a buffet thing. Its a pretty massive area for stuff. We have the fast food junk and then other floors have other poo poo like I listed. I dunno, its pretty drat big but it sounds like everyone else goes to school in a high school or something

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
It's pretty cool that you have such a huge selection and area just for dining. Is the building it's all in like the hub for the whole school, where everybody goes to eat? Everywhere I've been tends to spread that poo poo out across the whole campus, but my experience is mostly with schools in the Midwest, and lots of room is something most schools have around here.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
3rd year English lit course:

Professor: "You are going to need the following poetry/short story anthology or else you will be lost." ($300 book he wrote)
Next week everyone shows up with the book and $600 poorer.

99% of the course's material is public domain works from the 1800's and free online, making the book totally useless. When he noticed that I was reading all this stuff off my old kindle he asked how, and I just said I bought the Kindle version of his book. He gave me a pat on the shoulder and said he was worried for a second.

(there was no kindle version of his book, I just took a photo of the table of contents of a classmate's, and then downloaded PDFs of all the poems and short stories he crammed into his "book" and put it on my kindle) My first year of Uni is spend about $800 on books. My last year I spend about $20 on books.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ramadu posted:

My college had about 1200 students when I went there. The cafeteria was the largest room on campus outside of the gym facility, and it could only support a few hundred students at a time. There was a coffeeshop in the same building with a grill and a Subway, but it was even tinier - maybe 50 seats total.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ramadu posted:

Mine is 45k students. Theyre all seperate restaurants not like a buffet thing. Its a pretty massive area for stuff. We have the fast food junk and then other floors have other poo poo like I listed. I dunno, its pretty drat big but it sounds like everyone else goes to school in a high school or something

At the university I work at, there's a main cafeteria, a small secondary cafeteria, and a starbucks in the library. I'm a librarian, so I see and deal with the starbucks crowd all day.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Ramadu posted:

My university has about 10-15k students enrolled at a time in a town with a population of about 55k in the Midwest, if we had that big of a complex I have no idea how the businesses would stay open.

We have a mini-mall across the street from one side of campus that has apartments and chain restaurants and small businesses like Lee Ann Chin, Chipotle, and Coldstone Creamery and a local bar or two, which is where I think many students go to eat lunch (college students with disposable incomes love the gently caress out of Chipotle, the place is always packed) and we have the usual food area (run by Sodexo!) in the dorm centers, and finally a food court with Chick-fil-e, Taco Bell, and Sodexo run food stands in the Student Union.

I also have the nerdy idiots playing videogame music on the piano but at least they are mostly good at it and play some actually difficult pieces. I mean, I'm a nerdy idiot too but at least I don't take up several tables stinking up the place with my freaky fetishes or spergy obsessions. We have plenty of those people around here (even a loving brony club). Speaking of brony club, gently caress all the idiots that make stupid things like that. Hell, I saw some dork running around passing sheets with links to "the red pill" and "Anonymous" websites and I just loving rolled my eyes so hard.

College is weird, just like high school you have the mix of social rejects, professional and friendly people, spoiled party kids with money, and poor people that are here on Financial Aid.

edit: Speaking of Anonymous Reddit idiots, I work for the school paper at the front desk of the office and I remember a couple idiots wearing those stupid Guy Fawkes masks, debating with our News Editor about how they are for "freedom through anarchy" and "our goals are to defeat the oppressors". When are these idiot manchildren going to learn to have some shame? Obviously our editor didn't submit their "story idea", but it was pretty weird to see those internet freaks out in the open. :tinfoil:

How Rude has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Sep 24, 2014

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Blistex posted:

3rd year English lit course:

Professor: "You are going to need the following poetry/short story anthology or else you will be lost." ($300 book he wrote)
Next week everyone shows up with the book and $600 poorer.

99% of the course's material is public domain works from the 1800's and free online, making the book totally useless. When he noticed that I was reading all this stuff off my old kindle he asked how, and I just said I bought the Kindle version of his book. He gave me a pat on the shoulder and said he was worried for a second.

(there was no kindle version of his book, I just took a photo of the table of contents of a classmate's, and then downloaded PDFs of all the poems and short stories he crammed into his "book" and put it on my kindle) My first year of Uni is spend about $800 on books. My last year I spend about $20 on books.

You should have just been honest with him and also told the class. That guy sounds like he deserves to be undercut.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

How Rude posted:

and poor people that are here on Financial Aid.

That's not nice because people cry about everything these days and need to be coddled like their parental figures* did all their lives. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/personal-finance/fafsa-im-poor-tweet-sparks-online-backlash-n140356

*Started to say mommy and daddy but that would offend people

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Man, jackasses with e-cigs are annoying. I use one, but only in my office, up thirteen flights of stairs with a frequently broken elevator, and only with the door closed. Thankfully, there's a few e-mails going around at my university to point to them as disruptive in a classroom setting and aiming for a blanket ban in lecture halls and classrooms. Already had to tell a student to knock it off in class, and if the shitheads ruin it for people who actually respect those around them, I'll be pissed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well, the school rolled out a new website and it's just flat out painful. It's difficult to navigate and you need to scroll past a bunch of stock images in lovely advertisements to get to the online tools that current students need to actually use. Meanwhile, the school claims crap like "you can learn literally any skill at our school!" while actively sabotaging entire departments. The front page of the college says literally nothing other than "by the way we are a college would you like to apply?" It starts with a bullshit tag line then goes on to say basically nothing about what you can actually come study or why you should.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I can't stand people who not only don't show up to class, but also people who show up only to leave, walk in and out of class, or are passed out in class. Sorry, but I'm paying way too much money to not pay attention in class.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Forceholy posted:

I can't stand people who not only don't show up to class, but also people who show up only to leave, walk in and out of class, or are passed out in class. Sorry, but I'm paying way too much money to not pay attention in class.

I had trouble with that back when I started college, but stopped caring because they're the ones wasting their money. Leaving and coming back in all the time is annoying as it creates a distraction, but if someone wants to pay for a class and never come it's their choice. Of course, I've had peers who then complain that the professor is bad or the material is too difficult because they were asleep, on Facebook, or simply not there.

Insult Comic Barbie
Apr 21, 2010

Hedningen posted:

Man, jackasses with e-cigs are annoying. I use one, but only in my office, up thirteen flights of stairs with a frequently broken elevator, and only with the door closed. Thankfully, there's a few e-mails going around at my university to point to them as disruptive in a classroom setting and aiming for a blanket ban in lecture halls and classrooms. Already had to tell a student to knock it off in class, and if the shitheads ruin it for people who actually respect those around them, I'll be pissed.

I get the impression that a lot of the e-cig smokers are just waiting for someone to call them out. "No, it's cool, it's an e-cigarette, maybe you've heard of them?" :smuggo:

Also, no matter what e-cig smokers say, I can in fact smell the water vapor when I'm stuck in an enclosed space with you. The candy scented ones are obnoxiously strong. It's like a cloud of gummy bear farts, which is much less adorable than it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I teach the "Welcome to College!" class. Its there to make sure students know valuable life skills like taking notes, not be racist, and take showers. I had a dude full on snoring during my "make sure you get enough sleep!" Section.

• Locked thread