Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

What I'm saying is there is a lot more than college. There are a lot of big expenses for kids entering adulthood, you should read LoveMeDead's thread which is a better demo of that than I could ever explain. Also, everything you're experiencing right now.

Ordinarily, I would agree, but we are talking about someone who is down to his last surviving pair of pants. I think that learning to budget effectively is far more important right now, not to mention, possibly something better than a college education to give to his children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Can we let the college stuff die already? I brought it up to point out that he was getting ready to drop money on toys for himself and that maybe putting it towards his kid's future would be a better idea. I shouldn't have said anything, as he has more pressing priorities (like getting ready to welcome that kid into the world).

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

April posted:

Ordinarily, I would agree, but we are talking about someone who is down to his last surviving pair of pants. I think that learning to budget effectively is far more important right now, not to mention, possibly something better than a college education to give to his children.

Yeah as someone expecting a child at around the same time Knyte is, my first reaction was a GASP KNEE JERK HOW COULD HE.

But as someone else pointed out and is worth repeating to the thread, he doesn't have money to spare for retirement savings right now either and that's a MUCH bigger burden to put on your children (having to depend on them in your old age) than not saving for college/post-secondary-education expenses.

Let's get Knyte on track first to be ready for the child and get out of debt. Then maybe he can start working on retirement savings. THEN if he has money after that because he's kicking so much rear end, it's worth considering how you can help ease a child's future.

Oh, speaking of your baby and as a lighter topic, do you know the gender yet? I just found mine out last week (a boy!) and I know your wife and I are due around the same time.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.
Don't forget that Zaurg was putting money in an education fund for a distant relative, not even his own child. So let's keep things in perspective, I think we have a ways to go before we cross the Zaurg horizon.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Knyteguy posted:

Here you big jerks I was having trouble sleeping with this in the air, so budget draft #2.

I think this budget looks fine with a few conditions. Can you stick to this budget month after month? At least until the kid is born?

I think if you can stick to this budget you'll be setting yourself up for success. If you want something like a PS4 under-spend your discretionary budget for a few months until you've saved up enough to pay for it. I'd encourage you consider setting up a 'discretionary savings' line item (and probably even a real savings account). Treat it just like another savings account that comes out at the beginning of the month. Instead of having $450 budgeted for discretionary you toss $100 in your 'discretionary savings' and you only spend $350. After four months or whatever you've now got $400 built up to spend on fuckall if you feel like it. Oh, but if you bust your discretionary budget, you have to pull money from that discretionary savings first.

April:
You've got a lot of thoughts going on in that most recent post. I don't think it's really fair to toss out that many thoughts all at once without much given to the priorities that Knyte should be focusing on.

The last question I have on this is why is your wife only making $400 a month? If this was explained it was a long time ago. Why is it that she can't contribute more at least until she's very pregnant. Even if she just doubled her income every little bit would help.

April
Jul 3, 2006

n8r posted:

I think this budget looks fine with a few conditions. Can you stick to this budget month after month? At least until the kid is born?

I think if you can stick to this budget you'll be setting yourself up for success. If you want something like a PS4 under-spend your discretionary budget for a few months until you've saved up enough to pay for it. I'd encourage you consider setting up a 'discretionary savings' line item (and probably even a real savings account). Treat it just like another savings account that comes out at the beginning of the month. Instead of having $450 budgeted for discretionary you toss $100 in your 'discretionary savings' and you only spend $350. After four months or whatever you've now got $400 built up to spend on fuckall if you feel like it. Oh, but if you bust your discretionary budget, you have to pull money from that discretionary savings first.

April:
You've got a lot of thoughts going on in that most recent post. I don't think it's really fair to toss out that many thoughts all at once without much given to the priorities that Knyte should be focusing on.

The last question I have on this is why is your wife only making $400 a month? If this was explained it was a long time ago. Why is it that she can't contribute more at least until she's very pregnant. Even if she just doubled her income every little bit would help.

Yeah, I wrote all that really early in the morning, and I was having a hard time being concise.

Basically - Knyte needs to figure out what he is going to NEED (clothing, car repairs, etc.) and plan for that, and keep it separate from "discretionary", which is just for other unnecessary expenses. The fact that he is planning to buy a PS4 when he and his wife need clothes and shoes is very, very bad.

It would be better to have some more line items, and a little less going to savings, than to keep going "oops, guess I went over again!" Also to clarify exactly what his goals are.

Finally, I think the majority of the wife's paycheck (like 70%?) is going to their HSA, so only $400 take-home.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I think Knyteguy should spend his entire savings on gift cards. Now stay with me here. That way going forward he can be on budget because anytime he wants to spend money he'll just use the gift cards he bought in a previous month and it won't count.

As stupid as that sounds it's basically what you're doing buy going WAY OVER BUDGET in one month just so you can STAY IN BUDGET the next month. Spending $700 ($400 above budget assuming it was $300) on groceries in June so you can spend $100 ($200 below budget assuming it was $300) in July still makes your total YTD over budget.

You need to set a budget, and stick to it, even if that means making hard decisions like telling your friends/parents/grandparents that you can't go out to dinner for their birthday. This is probably the hardest part about budgeting because most people don't want to give off the perception that they are "cheap".

As always good luck. Hopefully someday it will really click. I can't remember where you said you live, but if you think $300 is enough money to take a vacation to the bay area, with your spending tendencies, :lol: .

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

Ok - there's a lot of budgeting/tweaking talk in here, but I want to go back to this:

Personally, I think it might be good for Knyte to keep his budget broken down. He still hasn't figured out yet that Christmas comes periodically, and it might be good to plan for that, or that clothes don't last forever, or that cars need oil changes and new brakes every so often. Knyte, I think you're going in the right direction, but you need to go further. It's great to plan to spend the minimum on everything, and put everything into savings but it's also unsustainable if you have to spend your savings every month because you didn't remember that birthdays come every year.

I guess what I'm taking forever to say is: what is the purpose of your savings? DFA and I have both short-term (see above) savings, and long-term (Roth IRA, 401k, some CD's we can cash out in a crisis that we don't touch, some other stocks & mutual funds).

So - are your savings short-term (something you are planning to spend for a specific purpose in the next few months) or are they long-term (we are going to save up for a house down payment, a solid 10k emergency fund that we'll never touch, etc.)?

You need to find a balance between the two. Otherwise you're going to keep putting X into savings for one of your major goals then taking out Y because you didn't plan for the stuff that will happen every month or every few months, and getting frustrated and saying "this isn't working!" because you aren't saving as much as you thought you would at the beginning of the month.

OK, what if instead of breaking down the budget again (because a lot of it just didn't matter if it was line items, like debt. I track those balances separately on the budget anyway) I did this:
$75 less in discretionary, same line items everywhere else.

Then I open say 5 more savings accounts. Extreme yes, but I know that at least Wells Fargo (I'll punch myself before banking with them again) offers all-you-can eat savings accounts. It's been recommended I try this a few times now, too.

Here are the accounts I'm thinking of:
1) Discretionary Savings
2) Holidays & Birthdays
3) House Downpayment (joint account with Gma matched. Need to reconfirm she is still up for this.)
4) Clothing
5) Car repairs

Now the only thing I'm thinking is that #3 goes untouched, because our current long-term goal is $10,000 in an emergency fund, and we're getting close enough that I want to continue that goal. Everything else can be split from that $75 in discretionary, perhaps as follows:
$25 Holidays
$25 Clothing
$25 Car Repairs

All rollovers. We have maintenance paid on the car for a long time (50,000 miles maybe), and the bumper-to-bumper warranty is good for awhile too. Only thing this needs to cover is breaks, tires, stuff like that. The wear and tear items.

And then discretionary can cover anything else.

We were kind of cheap assholes last Christmas as seen in this thread, so having a little bit of a Christmas fund will be nice.

Bugamol posted:

I think Knyteguy should spend his entire savings on gift cards. Now stay with me here. That way going forward he can be on budget because anytime he wants to spend money he'll just use the gift cards he bought in a previous month and it won't count.

As stupid as that sounds it's basically what you're doing buy going WAY OVER BUDGET in one month just so you can STAY IN BUDGET the next month. Spending $700 ($400 above budget assuming it was $300) on groceries in June so you can spend $100 ($200 below budget assuming it was $300) in July still makes your total YTD over budget.

You need to set a budget, and stick to it, even if that means making hard decisions like telling your friends/parents/grandparents that you can't go out to dinner for their birthday. This is probably the hardest part about budgeting because most people don't want to give off the perception that they are "cheap".

As always good luck. Hopefully someday it will really click. I can't remember where you said you live, but if you think $300 is enough money to take a vacation to the bay area, with your spending tendencies, :lol: .

Dang Bugamol you got all sardonic about our situation recently, despite the fact we're doing the best we ever have, regardless of the failures.

Look my failure this month was in 1) Not having enough discretionary to cover poo poo that may come up, 2) Not budgeting for clothes early enough. I had no choice but to dip into savings because the clothes were a necessity. As stated I'll happily eat the expenses from our October discretionary money to make up for it. It was a budgeting failure, and a spending failure.

Also watch me do the Bay Area trip on $300. We're only going for 2 days, and SF isn't like this crazy place I've never been. Mostly we just like walking around looking at street performers, maybe checking out Ghirardelli, walking around Pier 18 looking at walruses, etc. It's pretty much the go-to vacation spot for Northern Nevadans because it's the nearest real big city. It doesn't have to be real spendy. My problem isn't that I walk around and I see something and go "That must be mine!" it's more about products coming out that I end up researching a whole bunch, and restaurants. We've accounted for restaurants in the trip budget.

Edit: oh and adding the HSA contribution as a line item as well.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 23, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

April:

I try not to make promises I may not be able to keep, but I'll say I'll do my best with this budget for the months going forward. I think we've learned some really great strategies and gotten some great insights, and we just need to remember to stay on track. Again I really think that having our discretionary as one big category will help. Plus my own words said it well "It's not just the two of us anymore, so we need to give it 100%."

I think having a bunch of stuff in discretionary will help us stick to budget, because then it's not just "fun money" it's actually something that needs to cover everything else.

The plan is to go even more austere in 3 months though, as we'll be budgeting without my wife's income, and with a higher rent expense. It will let us really evaluate what it would be like if my wife was a stay at home mom, and in a nicer place.

ExtrudeAlongCurve: Congrats to you too! We're going to find out the gender in... 3 hours. I felt the kid kick for the first time last night :3: gently caress.

Edit: clarification

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 23, 2014

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I try not to make promises I may not be able to keep, but I'll say I'll do my best with this budget for the months going forward. I think we've learned some really great strategies and gotten some great insights, and we just need to remember to stay on track. Again I really think that having our discretionary as one big category will help. Plus my own words said it well "It's not just the two of us anymore, so we need to give it 100%."

I think having a bunch of stuff in discretionary will help us stick to budget, because then it's not just "fun money" it's actually something that needs to cover everything else.

The plan is to go even more austere in 3 months though, as we'll be budgeting without my wife's income, and with a higher rent expense. It will let us really evaluate what it would be like if my wife was a stay at home mom, and in a nicer place.

ExtrudeAlongCurve: Congrats to you too! We're going to find out the gender in... 3 hours. I felt the kid kick for the first time last night :3: gently caress.

Edit: clarification

The problem with one big discretionary fund is that you haven't shown yet that you can prioritize effectively. I can very easily see you saying "We'll put this much back for clothes, holidays, car repairs, pet meds, etc., and just lump it all into discretionary", and then in a couple of months saying "Ok, I have two pairs of pants that fit and a chunk in discretionary, time to buy the PS4!"

This is where the multiple savings accounts helps. I KNOW that the kids are going to need clothes, and if I didn't have it split out, I could've accidentally spent all the money for school clothes on fixing the shower this past summer.

What you really, really, really need to do is go back through the thread and look at all the times you went over budget, and why, and unless it's something idiotic (hundreds of dollars in restaurants), start planning to do it again. Only this time, you have some money set aside for that issue. I mean, if you work in any kind of professional environment, you need clothes that fit decently, aren't stained or torn, and enough of them that you aren't the guy wearing the same pair of pants 3x a week. Ditto on haircuts for both of you. You need reliable transportation. And so on.

It's far better to plan to get another pair of pants or a shirt every couple of paychecks, and accept it as necessary for a while, than to constantly beat yourself up over going over budget. And I understand you're going to try to do it on a reduced budget (I'm the one that suggested it!) but the hard truth of life is that just because you have less money doesn't mean your needs disappear. I mean, if you had started putting away just, say, $25-30/month for Christmas in January, how much nicer and less stressful would your holiday be?

I know it seems like so much more of a hassle. I maintain a total of about 20 savings accounts (capitalone360, holla!), but it makes my life SO MUCH BETTER when I'm able to say, hey, the little one wore holes in her shoes, or the big kid needs new glasses, or my brake pads are going bad, or the clothes washer died, but look! here's the cash for it!

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

Here you big jerks I was having trouble sleeping with this in the air, so budget draft #2.

I really think you need to break out bills, and you need separate line items for pets (don't bundle with groceries). Pets have fixed costs that are very predictable as well as the occasional huge vet bill.

Pets:
Food/Litter
Veterinary (Shots/Checkups)

Bills:
Electricity
Phone(s)
Internet
Water/Trash
Natural Gas
Netflix/Other subscriptions
Car Insurance
Car Taxes
Car Maintenance
Auto Fuel

Come up with monthly numbers for all of these items and see what they add up to. You should be setting aside monthly amounts in YNAB to cover your quarterly and annual expenses, even if it's just 25/30 bucks or even 5 bucks. I set aside 5 bucks a month because I have to buy a sticker from the city to have a cart for yard waste. I'm going to have to pay that every year, might as well account for it.

I have 2 kids so here's a hint from my kids budget for line items:

Kids:
Day Care
Diapers/Wipes
Toys/Misc/Clothing

We don't have a separate line item for Medical or Food for the kids, so that gets absorbed there.

If you buy a house, get ready for:

Mortgage
Home Insurance (probably rolled into mortgage)
Home Taxes (probably rolled into mortgage)
Outdoor Care
Home Repairs
Home Upgrades (we break these down into specific wishlist items like a tankless water heater)

I know some people aren't for breaking stuff out, but there's no excuse not to when something is nearly 100% predictable. Even for variable expenses, you can go into mint and then look up your average monthly expenditure on something like electricity over 2 years. That + 10% is your budget number. If you know for a fact that your cell phone bill is going to be 74.65 every month, then I can't think of a reason why that shouldn't get broken out into a category of its own.

Finally, you should split your discretionary budget in half for you and your wife. You are equal partners, and your spending shouldn't be eating up her fun money.

AbsenceVsThinAir fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 23, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You asked not too long ago what people's budget would look like if they were in your shoes. Okay, so let me put myself in your shoes. I have debt riding at 10%, I'm super stressed on that plus saving for my upcoming kid. And EMERGENCY I need new pants and shoes!!! (this should not be an emergency but w/e). This is what I do in order of steps:
1. I ask my sister or friends if they want to do a clothes swap.
2. I bring my less practical clothes to a consignment store, get credit, buy pants with my credit.
3. Goodwill/Savers shopping trip on a 50% day off to get $5 pants and shoes.

There is no way in hell, no way at all, that I would ever spend "a couple hundred dollars" on one pair of pants and a couple pairs of shoes. I don't do that now with a six-figure income. I definitely wouldn't do it with debt and a baby on the way. This is part of your emergency thing where you freak out and overspend. You don't HAVE to overspend. You are justifying it as an emergency but you have to learn better ways to deal with an emergency than spending a shitton of money.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

So I'm a little late here, but I wanted to note that when planning for the worst case scenario, you should not include planning/overbudgeting for things that you have control over (like how much you spend on restaurants). That will only exacerbate your level of "completely hosed" when something bad happens that is entirely outside of your control.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

The problem with one big discretionary fund is that you haven't shown yet that you can prioritize effectively. I can very easily see you saying "We'll put this much back for clothes, holidays, car repairs, pet meds, etc., and just lump it all into discretionary", and then in a couple of months saying "Ok, I have two pairs of pants that fit and a chunk in discretionary, time to buy the PS4!"

This is where the multiple savings accounts helps. I KNOW that the kids are going to need clothes, and if I didn't have it split out, I could've accidentally spent all the money for school clothes on fixing the shower this past summer.

What you really, really, really need to do is go back through the thread and look at all the times you went over budget, and why, and unless it's something idiotic (hundreds of dollars in restaurants), start planning to do it again. Only this time, you have some money set aside for that issue. I mean, if you work in any kind of professional environment, you need clothes that fit decently, aren't stained or torn, and enough of them that you aren't the guy wearing the same pair of pants 3x a week. Ditto on haircuts for both of you. You need reliable transportation. And so on.

It's far better to plan to get another pair of pants or a shirt every couple of paychecks, and accept it as necessary for a while, than to constantly beat yourself up over going over budget. And I understand you're going to try to do it on a reduced budget (I'm the one that suggested it!) but the hard truth of life is that just because you have less money doesn't mean your needs disappear. I mean, if you had started putting away just, say, $25-30/month for Christmas in January, how much nicer and less stressful would your holiday be?

I know it seems like so much more of a hassle. I maintain a total of about 20 savings accounts (capitalone360, holla!), but it makes my life SO MUCH BETTER when I'm able to say, hey, the little one wore holes in her shoes, or the big kid needs new glasses, or my brake pads are going bad, or the clothes washer died, but look! here's the cash for it!

OK well I'm going to spend a little time with my wife so we can think it over. I agree it's kind of been a recurring thing that we haven't been prepared for X expense, which I think is kind of a live and learn situation. However I feel like we've lived and learned enough.

I did try to do something like this in the initial budget I posted though. What was I missing with that and what you're saying?

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

Finally, you should split your discretionary budget in half for you and your wife. You are equal partners, and your spending shouldn't be eating up her fun money.

Thanks for the input on the categories. Not sure what I'll do yet.

My wife has this cool problem where she doesn't actually want anything. Like hardly ever. As long as she has Netflix and some small hobby stuff or makeup or something every month she's good. Anytime she says she actually wants something it always takes priority. 95% of the things we buy are shared between us also. We're of course equal partners.

moana posted:

You asked not too long ago what people's budget would look like if they were in your shoes. Okay, so let me put myself in your shoes. I have debt riding at 10%, I'm super stressed on that plus saving for my upcoming kid. And EMERGENCY I need new pants and shoes!!! (this should not be an emergency but w/e). This is what I do in order of steps:
1. I ask my sister or friends if they want to do a clothes swap.
2. I bring my less practical clothes to a consignment store, get credit, buy pants with my credit.
3. Goodwill/Savers shopping trip on a 50% day off to get $5 pants and shoes.

There is no way in hell, no way at all, that I would ever spend "a couple hundred dollars" on one pair of pants and a couple pairs of shoes. I don't do that now with a six-figure income. I definitely wouldn't do it with debt and a baby on the way. This is part of your emergency thing where you freak out and overspend. You don't HAVE to overspend. You are justifying it as an emergency but you have to learn better ways to deal with an emergency than spending a shitton of money.

I needed clothes for today. My shorts broke at work.

Clothes were $150 included 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 shirts. All of it was on a good sale. I'm loving tired of buying cheap clothes and them tearing. The button popping crap is my fault but our clothes expenditure is higher than it should be this year because we always buy the cheapest poo poo. I rectified that situation.

The rest of the budget overage has been in my weekly spreadsheet posting, and it's bills and medical stuff.

I already said I'd pay for the clothes out of our discretionary next month, so there it will be right let's drop it. What's the point in focusing on what I had to buy, instead of focusing on how to prepare for the same situation next time? It's not that I think it's some small thing, it's that I already realize we screwed up. Not by buying the clothes no, or even the price of the clothes, but by forcing ourselves to dip into the savings because we didn't plan well enough.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

April posted:

Basically - Knyte needs to figure out what he is going to NEED (clothing, car repairs, etc.) and plan for that, and keep it separate from "discretionary", which is just for other unnecessary expenses. The fact that he is planning to buy a PS4 when he and his wife need clothes and shoes is very, very bad.
I think this is an excellent summary of one of the hardest aspects of budgeting, which is the variable necessities. When the car breaks down or you need new shoes or the dog gets sick, it's easy to justify spending the money. The tricky part is having your budget set up to be ready for those types of expenses. A lot of people like to include those as small categories in their monthly budgets that accumulate, but that doesn't work for me at all. But if you have extra money piling up, it's very easy to feel like you're way ahead and can indulge.

I like the idea of having different savings accounts to keep the variable necessities separate from the long-term savings / emergency fund. Personally, I'd just have one for all the poo poo that may come up throughout the year, but if you find having separate accounts for car vs. clothes vs. pets helps you keep your spending in check better, then do that.

But that issue aside, I think Kynteguy is on the right track with his budget. He just needs to live it for a few months and see how it actually works for him in practice. That is what separates the Cornholios from the zaurgs. BFC wigged out on both of them, had fits over various impulse purchases and bad decisions, criticized their budgets and their posts and their relationships, but at the end of the day Cornholio showed discipline and put up numbers month after month that showed his debt going down and savings going up. Rack up a few months of consistently living within your spending goals and this will start getting a lot easier.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Clothes were $150 included 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 shirts. All of it was on a good sale. I'm loving tired of buying cheap clothes and them tearing. The button popping crap is my fault but our clothes expenditure is higher than it should be this year because we always buy the cheapest poo poo. I rectified that situation.

Not to belabor the point, but there's other options for clothing besides department stores. I have a ton of stuff from thrift stores because my mother-in-law does it as her business, and my wife picked up the habit when she was a young girl. I have an awesome Banana Republic leather jacket ($15), many nice long-sleeved shirts, brand name polos and jeans, and we paid roughly 10% of the original price. Many things came new with tags still on them.

If you really want to stretch your dollar, you need to get creative. If you have a thrift store within walking distance, you can get some exercise on the way there and back, too. You will eventually start to realize that a $25 t-shirt that is 60% off is still a really expensive t-shirt.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Clothes were $150 included 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 shirts.
This is reasonable and judicious clothes-buying, and therefore:

Knyteguy posted:

What's the point in focusing on what I had to buy, instead of focusing on how to prepare for the same situation next time?
Yup

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You probably could have just sewed the buttons back onto the shorts but that's not 'throw money at it' so it's not a viable solution I guess.

imabanana
May 26, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Also I've been trying to freelance web design/program a little to help pay for this PS4. I should have mentioned that. Just leads so far but I could probably pay for the PS4 completely just doing freelance stuff nights and weekends a few times.

A couple of things:

On the clothing, you could have easily thrifted it. Plenty of perfectly good name brand pairs of jeans/chinos/shorts at every thrift store I've ever visited. Not cheap clothing. Probably higher quality than what you bought in all honesty, just gently used.

Thrift stores are cheap and perfectly fine. Would have taken some time, and it's not as easy as buying stuff off the rack, but you wouldn't have busted your budget. The clothing I wear that I found at thrift stores is all my favorite clothing pretty much, I get a kick out of what I paid every time I put it on. I have a vintage down vest I wear all winter from the 70s worth hundreds of dollars on eBay that I bought for $4.99. It's a fun feeling. Buying a couple of pairs of Levi's at a thrift store is the easiest thing on earth, they have racks of stuff like that.

To briefly revisit the ps4:

Did you finish Millionaire Fastlane? Are you still reading Mr. Money Mustache?

For me, it's not the money, it's the fact that a PS4 is a time sink. It's great that you are sort of thinking about earning extra money to buy something, I think that's an improved mindset, but you need to reconsider your time allocation.

I bring up Millionaire Fastlane because one of the points of that book is the obsessiveness needed to make a business successful. A ps4 is incompatible with that level of obsession. You need to spend that time building a business.

On your apartment, I'm going to emphasize what some others have said.

You need fairly comfortable living conditions. You have a wife and a baby coming, your relationship and your baby are the priorities now, and living in a hellish apartment is not going to help you in those areas. Personally, I think you need to get your living situation sorted above all else.

Mentally, if you are like most people, you want treats like a ps4 at least partially because you are under so much stress with your living conditions. Even on the way up I never skimped on rent (within reason, my wife and I paid between $600 and $1600 in rent over the years after we got married, and we mostly enjoyed every place at every price point - this is in Ohio.) I never lived in a situation like you were describing.

You have too many animals for someone who is in debt and doesn't own a home. Makes it tough to find a decent rental. If at all possible, I would recommend renting houses/duplexes and not apartments, but man as a landlord I'd hear 3 cats and 2 dogs and run away. If the cats are getting in the way of a business then give away the cats. You don't need them.

You are misallocating your stoicism. Be stoic about the ps4, splurge on things like rent. Be stoic on having so many freaking animals.

Spend on things that will make your wife happy. Your marriage is an investment, and I don't care how strong your marriage is, a baby will test it. You need to be thinking about making life easier for your family when possible. And making your life easier! You know what would make your life easier? Not a ps4. A shorter commute. There are studies that show commuting is a huge factor in unhappiness.

I can't help you on breaking your lease, but I imagine there are resources online that discuss it. If I were dropped into your life I'd break the lease, I'd give away the cats, I'd give away the difficult dog, and I'd find a better place to live. I had a golden retriever when we had our first baby and I worried about how it would work out! The kids climb all over that dog and she doesn't care at all, and I still worried beforehand. You have a dog you describe as difficult and you don't worry about this at all? Toddlers get mauled by dogs all the time.

Finally, reconsider your kids college fund. It's not at all the same as a car. Giving your child the gift of not having crippling student loans is not something to dismiss lightly. I hope you've seriously considered their life and not just glibly thought "hey this'll toughen them up and college isn't for everyone anyway." I disagree with other posters that you can't think about this now - I think you could put a nominal amount away every month and not miss it. $25 a month in a 529 is better than nothing, and you're not going to miss $25.

This is all just advice from my experience, and my opinion, I don't pretend that it's universal, just what has worked for me, and I have done well. I hope you find some of it useful.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

a worthy uhh posted:

You probably could have just sewed the buttons back onto the shorts but that's not 'throw money at it' so it's not a viable solution I guess.

It's also not difficult to let out a pair of pants/shorts if you get too fat for them. Jeans are a little tougher, but slacks/khakis/cargo shorts are a breeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS_VpyIR0jU

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

My wife doesn't really spend money or want things either. Guess what: she has a lot of fun money saved up. Then you can watch her not spend money instantly and learn that it is in fact possible to save discretionary funds. You wanting things does not entitle you to her money. If you're afraid that she won't spend the money ever, whereas you'll bleed from the eyes unless you waste it, you're wrong. She may spend it on herself or gifts or the baby. She may just enjoy watching her balance grow. But she deserves 50/50 regardless of how much you like to buy things or how little she ever spends.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Knyteguy posted:

Look my failure this month was in 1) Not having enough discretionary to cover poo poo that may come up

Actually you spent too much money. That's why. The way you write it allows you to say "I need to increase my discretionary spending" instead of saying "I need to buy less poo poo"

Also I vote splitting the spending into hers and yours and if she doesn't go over you can watch how nice it is to have your discretionary spending roll over. Or you can ID her as a person who actually spends money and you're being blind to it.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

OK well I'm going to spend a little time with my wife so we can think it over. I agree it's kind of been a recurring thing that we haven't been prepared for X expense, which I think is kind of a live and learn situation. However I feel like we've lived and learned enough.

I did try to do something like this in the initial budget I posted though. What was I missing with that and what you're saying?

Thanks for the input on the categories. Not sure what I'll do yet.

My wife has this cool problem where she doesn't actually want anything. Like hardly ever. As long as she has Netflix and some small hobby stuff or makeup or something every month she's good. Anytime she says she actually wants something it always takes priority. 95% of the things we buy are shared between us also. We're of course equal partners.

I needed clothes for today. My shorts broke at work.

The rest of the budget overage has been in my weekly spreadsheet posting, and it's bills and medical stuff.

I already said I'd pay for the clothes out of our discretionary next month, so there it will be right let's drop it. What's the point in focusing on what I had to buy, instead of focusing on how to prepare for the same situation next time? It's not that I think it's some small thing, it's that I already realize we screwed up. Not by buying the clothes no, or even the price of the clothes, but by forcing ourselves to dip into the savings because we didn't plan well enough.

See that's the problem. How many things have you already decided will come out of discretionary? Are you budgeting enough for all of them? How will you know "hey, we have enough fun money in discretionary to go out tonight" if discretionary is also covering necessities?

Also, yeah, split it with your wife. Maybe she just doesn't want things out loud, because she knows that you place a lot more importance on buying poo poo than she does.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I already asked but didn't see why is Mrs. Knyte only making $400/moth?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

n8r posted:

I already asked but didn't see why is Mrs. Knyte only making $400/moth?

Maximum contributions to their HSA account.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Veskit posted:

Actually you spent too much money. That's why. The way you write it allows you to say "I need to increase my discretionary spending" instead of saying "I need to buy less poo poo"

He already said his apartment is cramped because there's too much stuff, but he still wants to get more.

Along the thrift shop line but in reverse, are there things you don't use anymore that you can sell via craigslist/ebay/half price books, or pawn shops? A cluttered home in and of itself is a stressor, and spare cash for clothes, books, movies, electronics & computers, car parts, tools, etc. can give you a buffer.

One decluttering rule that some people live by is that to bring a new thing into the house, you have to get rid of one (or two!) to make up for it. Keeps things from spiraling out of control and keeps your ears to the ground on what kind of stuff you actually need.

For a real world example, I just made some money selling video game stuff to rubes on reddit with too much cash and too little sense. I'm also trying to sell a rifle and accessories I no longer care for much anymore that's just taking up room in my safe. There's nothing I immediately want to spend on right now and I've got enough "stuff" taking up space in the house. My savings and retirement goals are on track too, so I'm just sitting on the cash until an unexpected expense or opportunity comes up, or toward birthday and Christmas presents for the family if that doesn't happen.

To bide my time without a shiny new thing to entertain me, I've recently picked back up one of my favorite old PC games again, stated watching Let's Play video series of other favorites on YouTube, picked up a new show on Netflix, and I'm playing soccer 3-4 times per week to keep from devolving into a complete fatass shut-in (used to just be twice a week for the last 3 years, but I doubled it starting last month). The video games and TV are nearly free-to-me, and two nights of the soccer are free pickup games in the park, one night is a team where my company covers our league fees, and only one of them am I actually having to pay for myself. It's worked out pretty well, and it also means I go out and spend less.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Also I vote splitting the spending into hers and yours and if she doesn't go over you can watch how nice it is to have your discretionary spending roll over. Or you can ID her as a person who actually spends money and you're being blind to it.

I said it was a spending failure like two sentences later :colbert:

April posted:

See that's the problem. How many things have you already decided will come out of discretionary? Are you budgeting enough for all of them? How will you know "hey, we have enough fun money in discretionary to go out tonight" if discretionary is also covering necessities?

Also, yeah, split it with your wife. Maybe she just doesn't want things out loud, because she knows that you place a lot more importance on buying poo poo than she does.

Not sure will reevalute after work and probably post a third budget draft.

SpelledBackwards posted:

He already said his apartment is cramped because there's too much stuff, but he still wants to get more.

Along the thrift shop line but in reverse, are there things you don't use anymore that you can sell via craigslist/ebay/half price books, or pawn shops? A cluttered home in and of itself is a stressor, and spare cash for clothes, books, movies, electronics & computers, car parts, tools, etc. can give you a buffer.

One decluttering rule that some people live by is that to bring a new thing into the house, you have to get rid of one (or two!) to make up for it. Keeps things from spiraling out of control and keeps your ears to the ground on what kind of stuff you actually need.

For a real world example, I just made some money selling video game stuff to rubes on reddit with too much cash and too little sense. I'm also trying to sell a rifle and accessories I no longer care for much anymore that's just taking up room in my safe. There's nothing I immediately want to spend on right now and I've got enough "stuff" taking up space in the house. My savings and retirement goals are on track too, so I'm just sitting on the cash until an unexpected expense or opportunity comes up, or toward birthday and Christmas presents for the family if that doesn't happen.

To bide my time without a shiny new thing to entertain me, I've recently picked back up one of my favorite old PC games again, stated watching Let's Play video series of other favorites on YouTube, picked up a new show on Netflix, and I'm playing soccer 3-4 times per week to keep from devolving into a complete fatass shut-in (used to just be twice a week for the last 3 years, but I doubled it starting last month). The video games and TV are nearly free-to-me, and two nights of the soccer are free pickup games in the park, one night is a team where my company covers our league fees, and only one of them am I actually having to pay for myself. It's worked out pretty well, and it also means I go out and spend less.

Nice. Going down the park would be nice. I'd like to get into shape a little bit before the baby comes. Exercise is a great stress relief too.

Unfortunately most of the stuff we have is stuff we've always had problems with. It's family heirlooms/important gifts and childhood mementos from both of us. Not stuff that is easily gotten rid of, so no choice but to store it really. A garage would be handy here.

I don't like the idea of splitting discretionary because it's not blow money, it's money we need to mutually make decisions on like that pet trainer. I'll talk to her about her getting some personal spending money too though. I probably wouldn't mind a little myself.

Baby is a boy. :shobon: Healthy as can be according to the ultrasound.

Edit: Can I break my budget for one of those wands?

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 23, 2014

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I said it was a spending failure like two sentences later :colbert:

Not sure will reevalute after work and probably post a third budget draft.

Nice. Going down the park would be nice. I'd like to get into shape a little bit before the baby comes. Exercise is a great stress relief too.

Unfortunately most of the stuff we have is stuff we've always had problems with. It's family heirlooms/important gifts and childhood mementos from both of us. Not stuff that is easily gotten rid of, so no choice but to store it really. A garage would be handy here.

I don't like the idea of splitting discretionary because it's not blow money, it's money we need to mutually make decisions on like that pet trainer. I'll talk to her about her getting some personal spending money too though. I probably wouldn't mind a little myself.

Baby is a boy. :shobon: Healthy as can be according to the ultrasound.

Congratulations on the good baby news! At the end of the day, that's what is most important.

I guess my suggestion is, keep an account for "unexpected necessities" such as car repairs, clothing, medicine, etc. Give yourselves both $X in cash every pay or month or whatever for fun stuff like games or meals out (save up for your PS4 out of that). And maybe one more account for planned expenses, like Christmas, or next summer's vacation, or whatever. This way, when you want something you haven't planned & saved for, you can tell immediately if it's something you can do without touching your "real" savings - emergency fund, house down payment, etc.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

imabanana posted:

To briefly revisit the ps4:

Did you finish Millionaire Fastlane? Are you still reading Mr. Money Mustache?

Not yet. Still working on the book. Got distracted by some fiction. Need to finish that in the coming weeks. I read MMM about once a month or so still though.

Mentally, if you are like most people, you want treats like a ps4 at least partially because you are under so much stress with your living conditions. Even on the way up I never skimped on rent (within reason, my wife and I paid between $600 and $1600 in rent over the years after we got married, and we mostly enjoyed every place at every price point - this is in Ohio.) I never lived in a situation like you were describing.

Yea we're kind of the opposite in that we've always skimped on rent, including living with my sister and her animals, plus two little girls in a 900sq/ft house. The townhouse wasn't skimping, but that was only hours for a couple months. For anyone else reading this isn't a good idea. You don't have to go all Slo Mo about it, but don't go about it like we did either.

You have too many animals for someone who is in debt and doesn't own a home. Makes it tough to find a decent rental. If at all possible, I would recommend renting houses/duplexes and not apartments, but man as a landlord I'd hear 3 cats and 2 dogs and run away. If the cats are getting in the way of a business then give away the cats. You don't need them.

You are misallocating your stoicism. Be stoic about the ps4, splurge on things like rent. Be stoic on having so many freaking animals.

Spot on I think. I tend to be stoic about some stuff (clothes usually I'll buy at Costco, rent, groceries, little more)

Spend on things that will make your wife happy. Your marriage is an investment, and I don't care how strong your marriage is, a baby will test it. You need to be thinking about making life easier for your family when possible. And making your life easier! You know what would make your life easier? Not a ps4. A shorter commute. There are studies that show commuting is a huge factor in unhappiness.

As tempting as this is (moving would make my wife happy) I think it's important that we feel the pain of this poor decision.

I can't help you on breaking your lease, but I imagine there are resources online that discuss it. If I were dropped into your life I'd break the lease, I'd give away the cats, I'd give away the difficult dog, and I'd find a better place to live. I had a golden retriever when we had our first baby and I worried about how it would work out! The kids climb all over that dog and she doesn't care at all, and I still worried beforehand. You have a dog you describe as difficult and you don't worry about this at all? Toddlers get mauled by dogs all the time.

Dog isn't dangerous, just hyper. She's absolutely loving to people and animals alike. I would consider the cats, but we can't find them homes. Not gonna take them to a shelter.

Finally, reconsider your kids college fund. It's not at all the same as a car. Giving your child the gift of not having crippling student loans is not something to dismiss lightly. I hope you've seriously considered their life and not just glibly thought "hey this'll toughen them up and college isn't for everyone anyway." I disagree with other posters that you can't think about this now - I think you could put a nominal amount away every month and not miss it. $25 a month in a 529 is better than nothing, and you're not going to miss $25.

We're willing to look into again down the road a bit. I didn't think of small contributions

This is all just advice from my experience, and my opinion, I don't pretend that it's universal, just what has worked for me, and I have done well. I hope you find some of it useful.

Thanks for the input.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 23, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

Congratulations on the good baby news! At the end of the day, that's what is most important.

Thanks. It definitely feels a little more real now. Time to start saving up for his first dirt bike (kidding, sort of).

April posted:

I guess my suggestion is, keep an account for "unexpected necessities" such as car repairs, clothing, medicine, etc. Give yourselves both $X in cash every pay or month or whatever for fun stuff like games or meals out (save up for your PS4 out of that). And maybe one more account for planned expenses, like Christmas, or next summer's vacation, or whatever. This way, when you want something you haven't planned & saved for, you can tell immediately if it's something you can do without touching your "real" savings - emergency fund, house down payment, etc.

OK yes I definitely like this idea. At the very least I think we'll open a discretionary savings, and then yes an unexpected necessities... or something. Like you said I should plan my moves. I'll give this some thought.

Death From Above
Mar 29, 2009

All The Way

imabanana posted:

ALSO SAID THIS:

imabanana posted:

Best thing said. Hands down.

Personally, while I am not an indoor pets person, I do love animals, but I am a realist. Whether or not you see this, you are feeding 8 mouths right now in a cramped space that you are miserable with. Lighten the load on the pets. Keep one, get rid of 4, if they are ankle biters, get rid of them all. It stings, and if you are an animal person it sucks to think about it, but the reality of the situation is you need to get your life in order first. Look at the position you are in. You have to take care of yourselves first.

a worthy uhh posted:

Strangely enough, I was thinking this exact same thing, why in the hell didn't you [the OP] just sew the button on and call it good? If the pants were worn thin or your "Sunday best" that's one thing, but it takes two minutes to sew a button on, and if it popped due to your gut (I've had this happen to me, so not shaming at all), you can slightly adjust the button position to make the pants a bit larger. Dude, I'm a guy, I do all the sewing around the house here including but not limited to sewing ballet shoes, darning socks (on occasion), I can do zippers, you name it I can sew it. Another option that was mentioned is Goodwill. I LOVE Goodwill. Bought two suits and a slew of clothes from there as well as LP's.

Do you use a slow cooker? I can't remember. Go and spend some time on making (the key there is making) prepackaged meals and freeze them. You can make just about everything and freeze it and put it in the slow cooker when ever you want it. You can usually eat off of each meal twice if you make them big enough, or take them for lunch so you are not eating out.

I try not to eat out because It's about $10 each time I eat out, and for $10 that's a full meal for the 4 of us.

OP there are a lot of things that you can do to actually tighten your belt. I refuse to get into "Don't spend on groceries or this or that", just know that you have options for just about everything.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

If you look back at my previous how to set up your budget priorities chat, I think going about it the following way would be healthy:

1) Pay off all monthly one time bills that are required including rent, groceries, minimum payments ect
2) Put at least 25% of your total take home into savings
3) Fund your discretionary accounts up to 500 dollars per month
4) Take the left over money and split it between savings and rainy day type poo poo stuff AKA "Unexpected necessities". Though, you'd have to talk over what goes into that account I'm not a fan of blowing out that account for comfy 150 dollar pairs of shoes.

Also you said your business is off budget which is cool, but if you're income from the business is off budget then you need to also keep your expenses away from this budget. Otherwise you'll fuel retarded spending through your current budget.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Death From Above posted:

Personally, while I am not an indoor pets person, I do love animals, but I am a realist. Whether or not you see this, you are feeding 8 mouths right now in a cramped space that you are miserable with. Lighten the load on the pets. Keep one, get rid of 4, if they are ankle biters, get rid of them all. It stings, and if you are an animal person it sucks to think about it, but the reality of the situation is you need to get your life in order first. Look at the position you are in. You have to take care of yourselves first.

Sorry man can't do it with the dogs... I'll talk to my wife about the cats but I don't think she'll like that much.

Strangely enough, I was thinking this exact same thing, why in the hell didn't you [the OP] just sew the button on and call it good? If the pants were worn thin or your "Sunday best" that's one thing, but it takes two minutes to sew a button on, and if it popped due to your gut (I've had this happen to me, so not shaming at all), you can slightly adjust the button position to make the pants a bit larger. Dude, I'm a guy, I do all the sewing around the house here including but not limited to sewing ballet shoes, darning socks (on occasion), I can do zippers, you name it I can sew it. Another option that was mentioned is Goodwill. I LOVE Goodwill. Bought two suits and a slew of clothes from there as well as LP's.

Hah. I think that's cool, but I wouldn't even know where to start to sew on a button. I can probably salvage one pair of pants it's just the button on those, but the other pair was just crappy quality and the pocket was nearly falling of and the button was just the last straw.

Do you use a slow cooker? I can't remember. Go and spend some time on making (the key there is making) prepackaged meals and freeze them. You can make just about everything and freeze it and put it in the slow cooker when ever you want it. You can usually eat off of each meal twice if you make them big enough, or take them for lunch so you are not eating out.

We try to yes. Wife being pregnant has understandable made me rely a little more on frozen waffles and pot pies. I probably need to step up and get the meals going myself though like you mention. Will try that when we do a grocery run again.

I try not to eat out because It's about $10 each time I eat out, and for $10 that's a full meal for the 4 of us.

OP there are a lot of things that you can do to actually tighten your belt. I refuse to get into "Don't spend on groceries or this or that", just know that you have options for just about everything.

Yep you're right. Thanks again.

Veskit posted:

If you look back at my previous how to set up your budget priorities chat, I think going about it the following way would be healthy:

1) Pay off all monthly one time bills that are required including rent, groceries, minimum payments ect
2) Put at least 25% of your total take home into savings
3) Fund your discretionary accounts up to 500 dollars per month
4) Take the left over money and split it between savings and rainy day type poo poo stuff AKA "Unexpected necessities". Though, you'd have to talk over what goes into that account I'm not a fan of blowing out that account for comfy 150 dollar pairs of shoes.

Also you said your business is off budget which is cool, but if you're income from the business is off budget then you need to also keep your expenses away from this budget. Otherwise you'll fuel retarded spending through your current budget.

Business:
Only concern is if my client doesn't pay (which happens, he's often late) we could be put in a spot where we have to get the money from somewhere else. I'll see what I can do to make it work.

OK it's just the numbers that need a little work. I appreciate you suggesting a little bit of hard numbers. Gonna take the numbers and mock budgets everyone has posted and try to find something that works for us.

Shoes were only $50... that's not that bad. My other ones were squeaking (both of them) every time I'd walk, which was incredibly annoying around the office. I tried fixing them with youtube videos and internet research, but no luck.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I'm just curious where in SF you're staying for $75, after fees and taxes.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

I'm just curious where in SF you're staying for $75, after fees and taxes.

Gonna stay outside the city. Maybe Berkeley gotta check the prices. We're going during the week so rates should be cheaper too. If not then San Jose isn't that far we've stayed there while checking out SF before. I love driving, this is more about the road trip for me. Might try Oakland I've also stayed there before.

After fees and taxes though? We'll be within $15 of the estimate I think. Come to Reno where a suite at a casino is like $50/night a lot of the time. Don't recommend gambling though tourists make it so we don't pay state income tax, which covers a lot of schools, roads, and more.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 24, 2014

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
What Veskit said above re: breakdown is exactly what we did this past year and a half, and it worked like a dream.

I also think having separate blow money accounts would do wonders. How does your wife feel about hardly ever asking for anything, seeing none of her paycheck going to bills, never being able to pay down debt, hardly any savings for baby, dipping into funds for your not-yet-profitable side business.... and you planning on a PS4?

Also re: not knowing how to do something. It took me a while to catch on, but my wife has introduced me to a wonderful new resource called YouTube. Everything you want to know how to do is on there. It's amazing. Plus, it's a goddamned button. Four holes. Maybe even only two. Look at other buttons. Mimic.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Don't push the sewing thing too hard, lest you stoke the fires of temptation

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Gonna stay outside the city. Maybe Berkeley gotta check the prices. We're going during the week so rates should be cheaper too. After fees and taxes though? We'll be within $15 of the estimate I think.
Rule of thumb is to estimate high. You're already planning to bust your budget and you haven't even checked prices. I just did it. Looks like you have your choice of one or two star motels and hostels in Milpitas and San Pablo. Hope you don't get bedbugs. And I'm with ya, I can stay on the cheap. But this poo poo is super easy to get an exact price right now. Do it.

Knyteguy posted:

Come to Reno where a suite at a casino is like $50/night a lot of the time. Don't recommend gambling though tourists make it so we don't pay state income tax, which covers a lot of schools, roads, and more.
I've been to Reno. I lived and worked in Las Vegas. I also lived and worked in San Francisco. So I know these towns, too. :)

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
lol silly plebs planning vacations and booking accommodation months in advance so you can stay in a location that is congenial both to personal finances and all your tourism desires

but don't worry, Knyteguy is REALLY looking forward to driving around California on a budget!!

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

Rule of thumb is to estimate high. You're already planning to bust your budget and you haven't even checked prices. I just did it. Looks like you have your choice of one or two star motels and hostels in Milpitas and San Pablo. Hope you don't get bedbugs. And I'm with ya, I can stay on the cheap. But this poo poo is super easy to get an exact price right now. Do it.

I've been to Reno. I lived and worked in Las Vegas. I also lived and worked in San Francisco. So I know these towns, too. :)

Ah, right on. Vegas is too drat hot for me. Only reason I haven't booked and gotten rates yet is because my wife's boss is being super non-commital on the days she can get off. It may move up a week, so we'd really be SOL then.

Grouco posted:

lol silly plebs planning vacations and booking accommodation months in advance so you can stay in a location that is congenial both to personal finances and all your tourism desires

but don't worry, Knyteguy is REALLY looking forward to driving around California on a budget!!

:allears:

Hella

• Locked thread