Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I got an email from TMC offering 30% of my next order. However, it seems that it was sent to everyone and my order is still active.

Yeah everyone got that on their mailing list, mine's still showing active and I've been charged the 41 dollars.

Edit: Boo cancelled and refunded.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I got an email from TMC offering 30% of my next order. However, it seems that it was sent to everyone and my order is still active.

Same here, and the order says its expected to ship today?

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Parallax posted:

Same here, and the order says its expected to ship today?

Same here...the waiting game continues.

Mine was just cancelled.

Arnm616 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 23, 2014

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

They got mine too. Shame that 30% off coupon doesn't work on anything that is already marked down.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

mallratcal posted:

They got mine too. Shame that 30% off coupon doesn't work on anything that is already marked down.

Yeah that really sucks, especially since they're having a sale on criterion movies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Yep mine was cancelled but have not gotten refund yet.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Leper Residue posted:

Yeah that really sucks, especially since they're having a sale on criterion movies.

Looks like the sorry30 code is now working for everything. Go get some cheap Criterions!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mallratcal posted:

Looks like the sorry30 code is now working for everything. Go get some cheap Criterions!

Huh. It knocks Eraserhead down to $18.89.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
I'm also unfortunately on team "canceled". Though, frustratingly they have yet to reverse the charges. Guess I just have to wait.

Interestingly it seems that they completely removed the deluxe Halloween set from their site completely. I can't seem to find it even with a corrected price.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

FYI Screen Archives has Twilight Time discs for The Blob remake, The Believers and Audrey Rose up for preorder. I grabbed The Blob because it's not only one of the best 80s horror movies and completely awesome but it's also one of the best remakes ever made, and the HD broadcasts that pop up on various movie channels looks pretty solid. I'll settle for my DVDs of The Believers and Audrey Rose.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

There's zero chance of the Blob remake being region free is there?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Looking through Bluray.com's listings for Twilight Time stuff, everything they have released in the past says region free.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I figured this was the best place to ask:

What's the best kind of TV for watching blu-rays without pull-down or soap opera mode garbage?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Nroo posted:

I figured this was the best place to ask:

What's the best kind of TV for watching blu-rays without pull-down or soap opera mode garbage?

You should be able to turn off all that crap in the settings.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

You should be able to turn off all that crap in the settings.

My current TV has this nasty smearing effect when things move that, to my knowledge, is due to unchangeable pull-down from being 60hz. I'm planning on upgrading to a higher Hz TV but I really don't know how effective that will be for the blu-rays to really look like they should in motion.

I'm basically just terrified about dropping substantial $$$ on something that could still be blurry, jittery, and distracting. Researching this stuff online has just made me more unsure about making a decision.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Get something with 120hz or 240hz since that's an even multiple of 24hz, 30hz, and 60hz. I have an older Sony rear projection set that runs at 120hz and looks great with blu-rays at 1080p 24hz.

Motion smoothing/interpolation is the junk that makes stuff look like a soap opera. Most sets should let you turn it off. It's just a dumb feature that interpolates the motion between frames and causes the super unnatural smoothness.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah when I bought my plasma a few years ago, one of the important things I needed it to do was display 24P directly from a Blu-Ray player that also supported this, and allowed me to turn off all the electronic garbage that just ruins pictures.

I still see people post things on Facebook saying that HD is rubbish because the default setups for these TVs are killing the image quality and they simply don't realise it. My friend lost his mind (in a good way) when we were watching Dredd at his, I grabbed the remote and made 3 changes and the video suddenly looked a poo poo ton better.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

So is 120hz the main thing needed to make sure it can play 24fps as smoothly as possible (even with the interpolation off)? I've been reading that plasmas are best for this kind of thing but they seem to be dying out....

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
Do you mind if I ask which TV you have just now?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Soylent Green posted:

Do you mind if I ask which TV you have just now?

It's a Samsung LN40C530 from 2010.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can't imagine that TV doesn't have some setting to play 24fps smoothly, I'd keep digging around in the settings if I were you.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
Yeah try switching all of these off: Black Tone, Dynamic Contrast, Flesh Tone, Edge Enhancement, Digital Noise Filter, MPEG Noise FIlter and Film Mode, if you can. Although you shouldn't be able to change your Film Mode on a 1080p24 signal, if you can that's maybe the problem, it controls the pull-down for interlaced signals. All of this poo poo makes the picture look worse and takes time to process which can create that lag/blur. Use Movie mode, if that doesn't look right try natural. Stay away from Game Mode. If that's switched on it'll make everything look like poo poo.

It might not be perfect but it's a good enough set that it should be borderline imperceptible. When new TV time comes around I'm sure we'd be happy to help either here or in IYG but in the meantime I'd be surprised if you can't improve the quality of image you have right now.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

It's funny, because I've had all of those settings off for a long time after I originally calibrated it, so I really don't know what the cause of the blurring is. And while the TV is 60hz and has no setting for 24fps (Film Mode is greyed out and un-selectable) , I just changed the 1080p24hz setting on my PS3 from Automatic to On, which made the mode title pop up at the top corner of the screen when I played a movie which never happened before. It didn't solve any of the visual problems though.

The look of the 1080p image is fine, it's just that anything black or really dark basically becomes a noticeable smear when it moves. It's most problematic in darkly lit scenes and black and white films. so for example, my Eraserhead blu-ray is nearly unwatchable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Nroo posted:

It's funny, because I've had all of those settings off for a long time after I originally calibrated it, so I really don't know what the cause of the blurring is. And while the TV is 60hz and has no setting for 24fps (Film Mode is greyed out and un-selectable) , I just changed the 1080p24hz setting on my PS3 from Automatic to On, which made the mode title pop up at the top corner of the screen when I played a movie which never happened before. It didn't solve any of the visual problems though.

The look of the 1080p image is fine, it's just that anything black or really dark basically becomes a noticeable smear when it moves. It's most problematic in darkly lit scenes and black and white films. so for example, my Eraserhead blu-ray is nearly unwatchable.

Is it set on game mode? That type of setting usually has some sort of fuckery built in.

Or maybe there's some type of degrain setting that's on on the PS3?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, don't presume there won't be wacky settings on the source console/blu-ray player either. My Panasonic one kept defaulting to a 'Cinema' mode which isn't as useful as you might think. There should be a single button on all devices just marked 'Turn All This Dumb "Showroom Feature" poo poo Off".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
One of the best things about Rian Johnson's Twitter is that he'll go to friends houses and stealthily turn all that stuff off for them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My Samsung LCD is pretty close to proper THX calibrated settings out of the box. I only had to adjust the brightness and contrast a little, then turn sharpness, DNR, and edge enhancement off. It even has a built in blue filter mode for calibration.

The only downside to good calibration is that bad discs will look even worse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why do TVs and blu-ray players even come with any of this poo poo in the first place?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Why do TVs and blu-ray players even come with any of this poo poo in the first place?

'oh god, it's so grainy. hd is suppose to be smooth crystal clear goodness :saddowns:'

That and the people in charge are kinda idiots too. When Universal first started releasing Blu-Rays, they went back and added additional DNR to certain movies because that's what they thought the videogame crowd wanted.

It's funny to look back at those type of beliefs now.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

A lot of it is to stand out from all the other similar tvs on the wall of tvs at Walmart or any big box store. Drastically increasing the contrast and saturation, edge enhancement, heavy de-noising, interpolating frames for smoother motion, all these can make a tv stand out with a quick glance at a sea of otherwise identical black rectangles. The fact that it looks horrible for any serious viewing doesn't matter, because by then they've already got your money.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

CPL593H posted:

The same reason why we have curved LCD's right now, to sell people useless features they do not need, and most of the time actively make the picture worse.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The last date I had with this girl before I broke up with her, I fixed the settings on her tv for her. Then soon after I dumped her. I still think that's the best way to break someone's heart, since when she was watching tv through her tears, she had a much better picture.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Cemetry Gator posted:

The last date I had with this girl before I broke up with her, I fixed the settings on her tv for her. Then soon after I dumped her. I still think that's the best way to break someone's heart, since when she was watching tv through her tears, she had a much better picture.

Did you know at the time that you were going to break up with her, and the fixing of her TV settings was a farewell gift or final act of kindness?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

One of the best things about Rian Johnson's Twitter is that he'll go to friends houses and stealthily turn all that stuff off for them.

This is something all good people do. I have fixed all the TVs in my office.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This thread is making me want to go home and double check all my settings now. Is there a better resource or thread for this stuff though?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think honestly people of a certain age can't actually tell. Last Christmas we went to my aunts house, and her TV had all that poo poo turned on. Me and my cousins, all of a similar age group, could all tell that it looked totally hosed up, but my aunt and mother couldn't tell the difference even after I turned it all off. Same thing happened the year before when I took my mother and grandmother to The Hobbit in 60 fps. I could tell it looked way too smooth and terrible, they literally had no idea anything was different from a normal movie.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think a lot of people don't care. You be surprised at what prior don't notice when they don't care.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

IUG posted:

This thread is making me want to go home and double check all my settings now. Is there a better resource or thread for this stuff though?

I've wanted to get one of those calibration discs from Netflix, just to see the difference, but I'm happy fiddling with the settings myself with a movie on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

One of my friends who I thought would be diametrically opposed to features like that got a 3D TV a couple years ago and left the TruMotion poo poo on because he didn't know how to turn it off at first, then he figured out how to turn it off but he's just left it on ever since because he says now he's adjusted to it and watching TV without it looks weird to him :cry:

That poo poo makes me want to hurl though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

One of my friends who I thought would be diametrically opposed to features like that got a 3D TV a couple years ago and left the TruMotion poo poo on because he didn't know how to turn it off at first, then he figured out how to turn it off but he's just left it on ever since because he says now he's adjusted to it and watching TV without it looks weird to him :cry:

That poo poo makes me want to hurl though.

You can make an argument for using it for 3D movies though.

• Locked thread