Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

"My Nation's capital is in Chicago" and the like. When I lived in NYC and Indianapolis, the proselytizers wouldn't talk to white people but here in Oakland they talk to everybody.

I think they only talked to me because they recognized my vehicle, I used to drive the stoney island from end to end like four - five times a day and between the iron, coal, and half flat tires from scrapyards it was memorable looking. The security around Mosque Maryam is serious, cameras, big walls, automated metal gates, etc.

Huh, I never saw them in Oakland, I knew they had a presence there, but I must have just never gone down the right street. I've literally walked everything from the RRF ships in Alameda to downtown Oakland too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kit Walker posted:

If planned obsolescence is a conspiracy theory, it's the only one I can sorta buy. Like, have none of you used any computers or laptops long enough to see them break? You'd think we'd be at a point where we can make laptops that last longer than five years, but they all either start seeing the body break down (two of my laptops had the plastic around the hinges crack and break off despite gentle use) or the screen fall apart (another one had the lcd screen develop an internal crack out of the blue one day and by the end of the week was pretty much non-functional). Like, computer parts pretty clearly have a limited lifespan. Is it really a conspiracy theory to say that computer manufacturers are aware of this and continue to use such parts rather than develop ones which could feasibly last decades or more?

Like, I mean, if it's cheaper to use lovely parts and your competition is going to use lovely parts as well to make more money, then in a capitalistic system it's almost expected of you to also use lovely parts to make sure your competition doesn't get an edge on the profit-margin game. That you'd be selling fewer machines if computers lasted longer ties in pretty neatly to that, doesn't it? That's not a conspiracy theory so much as sensible business practice.

Computers used to generally last a lot less time, both in terms of being able to run "current" workloads and in physical design, while also costing much more. There are not really parts you can use that would last decades that would be suitable for installing in designs people want to use - if you need that sort of poo poo there's stuff like Toughbooks and other such hardened designs that can handle being around bomb blasts but are chunkier and not quite so fast for the money.

Also you probably didn't have the LCD crack out of the blue, something probably hit it at some point and it took a while to finally fail. Especially if you ever carried it in a bag with anything else. You want a computer that lasts a much longer time you should buy a desktop, which also won't move that much.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
A friend of mine from Haiti who's normally completely sane just posted this:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Gatorade was created to turn people into alligators. Wake up people!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Oh, I didn't notice that the anonymizer broke the post somewhat. Anna Mull is Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders' Facebook page.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Oh, I didn't notice that the anonymizer broke the post somewhat. Anna Mull is Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders' Facebook page.

I highly doubt Doctors without Borders is going to agree with the crazy here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

katlington posted:

I highly doubt Doctors without Borders is going to agree with the crazy here.

Pssh, well not the western plants within the organization who exist to throw you off the trail. Crazy Haiti person is pretty much the same mindset as the people in Africa who think the disease is being brought in and planted by aid workers, while turning to the neighborhood witch doctor for help. They at least have their country's terrible condition to explain their fears, unlike antivax and homeopathic medicine believers in the US.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pssh, well not the western plants within the organization who exist to throw you off the trail. Crazy Haiti person is pretty much the same mindset as the people in Africa who think the disease is being brought in and planted by aid workers, while turning to the neighborhood witch doctor for help. They at least have their country's terrible condition to explain their fears, unlike antivax and homeopathic medicine believers in the US.

This guy is living in the US now and studying at an American university.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, the population control guys must be the same guys who keep staging the false flag mass shootings, because they're doing a terrible job. The world population keeps growing and growing.

Something I ran into not too long ago was someone claiming that the holocaust wasn't the nazi's exterminating the Jews, but the Rothschilds exterminating their competition. You see the R's created the nazi party so they could kill all the other elders of zion and take complete control of the world. You see Hitler and the rest had NO reason to hate the jews.

Uh thanks random guy on the streetcar wearing a I <3 Rob Ford shirt. And thanks for calling me a "loving heeb" when I said he should probably read more and less youtube.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Was it perhaps the Queen St. streetcar? :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zachack posted:

I'm quoting this because I'm a few episodes in and it's really bananas. It just blasts barely connected factoids and flashing images with crazy talking head speakers (some over webcam or with a webcam effect). What makes it so different from other sorts of shows like this (that I've seen) is that it seems to have zero interest in pretending at verification; it's literally "the Montauk Monster is a government experiment from this nearby island. Did you know that this island is similar in shape to another island some Nazi doctor the US brought over post-WW2 liked? Well he also liked ticks, so this place may be from where lyme disease came from. Remember Tuskeegee? What happens when some new killer disease gets loose?" The episodes seem to bleed into each other because at some point it decided to talk about mind control but I could swear that was at the beginning of the disease episode where they connect mad cow disease to creating, literally, an "army of zombies". And I could swear it mentioned HAARP before talking about how Nostradamus predicted that James Cameron (Avatar) funding asteroid mining would result in a man-made cataclysm.

Here's the link for US viewers! Also inside: lovely effects!

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80001420?trkid=13462100

This show is astounding. I just saw an episode that claimed that the FBI sneaked Hitler out of Germany so that he could convince Nazi scientists to come work for America, but also he escaped Germany on a submarine and landed in Argentina because somebody sent a letter about it to the FBI and they threw the letter out WHICH PROVES THEY WERE INVOLVED IN THE COVERUP. BUT THEN Hitler took his submarine to Washington DC where he ate dinner at a diner and also he had a secret son who escaped to the US after the war so that he could start a secret Hitler family of sleeper agents who would bide their time before staging a coup decades later RIGHT HERE IN AMERICA! And then Hitler's nephew joined the US Navy so that he could take it over for Hitler or some poo poo. It's like they start over with a new narrative every commercial break. The only "expert" is some weird old man on a webcam who has the title "attorney" next to his name like another show might say "NASA engineer" or "Historian, Stanford University."

What really astounds me is that they straight-up talk about all this like it's incontrovertible fact. Like, "in 1945 the FBI sweeps Hitler out of Germany. What possible goal could they have in keeping America's enemy alive, and in secret?" Shows like that usually have the decency to say "some believe that the FBI swept Hitler out of Germany in 1945. If this is true, what possible reasons may they have had?"

I always thought those kinds of shows used the "if/then" format to keep from getting sued, but I guess they just felt guilty enough to no actually lie while saying that poo poo on the History Channel.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I like how when they have the attorney on, they have all that UI nonsense around his picture frame, including a bar that says "Streaming..." as if either it's coming to you LIVE or they're using Real Player.

Also, note that they also have a new show: "Unsealed: Alien Files," which is exactly what you're thinking it is.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

This show is astounding. I just saw an episode that claimed that the FBI sneaked Hitler out of Germany so that he could convince Nazi scientists to come work for America,

It was the OSS and was called Operation Paperclip, but they didn't use Hitler to get the scientists out as he was dead in a bunker.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

JFairfax posted:

It was the OSS and was called Operation Paperclip, but they didn't use Hitler to get the scientists out as he was dead in a bunker.

Yeah, there was a general raiding of the German technological and industrial base by the Allies. Ultimately leading to great stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Seventh Arrow posted:

Was it perhaps the Queen St. streetcar? :v:

Yes, yes it was. But the guy got on in Leslieville, which is normally hipsters.

And I looked at that Alien Files show on Netflix. New truths about aliens just uncovered!!!!!! I really hope they are using the Majestic documents because those have been shown to be a bunch of fakes, attributed documents and anything that has been confirmed real has nothing about aliens in it but are included because they sound sinister.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

They do, in fact, reference them in the very first episode. Gotta lay the groundwork!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

Even more so, the Brits, Americans, and Soviets were all grabbing scientists within their first invasion and then occupation zones just as soon as their troops were taking the land. Many of the "high value" people had already been grabbed before Hitler shot himself, and we know from multiple opposing sources that Hitler hadn't left the bunker property, let alone Berlin, for an extended time before he shot himself.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nintendo Kid posted:

Even more so, the Brits, Americans, and Soviets were all grabbing scientists within their first invasion and then occupation zones just as soon as their troops were taking the land. Many of the "high value" people had already been grabbed before Hitler shot himself, and we know from multiple opposing sources that Hitler hadn't left the bunker property, let alone Berlin, for an extended time before he shot himself.

My favorite part of all that is Von Braun defecting by having his brother approach a random-rear end private and say "yo, my brother designed the V1 and he wants to defect." Can you imagine being that private?

:stare: "uh lemme get my CO."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.facebook.com/annette.k.brown

I can't tell if this is a parody account, or not. It's pushing pretty much every conspiracy out there.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My favorite part of all that is Von Braun defecting by having his brother approach a random-rear end private and say "yo, my brother designed the V1 and he wants to defect." Can you imagine being that private?

:stare: "uh lemme get my CO."

I liked the story of Stalin telling his rocket designers to drop everything and just reverse engineer the V1.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
I think you guys mean V2

The V1 was a pulse jet cruise missile.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsYG5emdZp8&t=1513s

Weather manipulation. CHEMTRAILS :tinfoil:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

emfive posted:

I think you guys mean V2

The way I've seen the story told Werner's brother actually said V1. Now that I actually check that had to have been a typo or a mistake because, you know, von Braun didn't design the V1.

No idea about the Stalin thing.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 25, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I meant the V2, easy to get them confused.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

emfive posted:

Which the US almost unchanged after the war as the JB-1 Loon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I watched the first 5 minutes of Alien Files, and holy poo poo, it makes Ancient Aliens look well researched.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This. Apple is just a poo poo company that does not care about their customers in the long term and you have to keep that in mind if you're gonna buy their products. People are too used to getting long term support from software makers like Microsoft and Apple doesn't operate that way. It's not a conspiracy, it's just that their attitude toward newer software and OS versions loving over older products can be summed up in two words: gently caress. Off.

As opposed to Android phones which are noted for always getting all the updates.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Literally The Worst posted:

As opposed to Android phones which are noted for always getting all the updates.

They actually do. Especially with the move to tying things to the app market system with the Google Services Framework.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nintendo Kid posted:

They actually do. Especially with the move to tying things to the app market system with the Google Services Framework.

That's an improvement from when I ditched my android phone 1.5 years ago then because there were approximately A Lot of new phones every year and the odds of them all getting the next update were slim to none. Good on you google phones I guess.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

That's an improvement from when I ditched my android phone 1.5 years ago then because there were approximately A Lot of new phones every year and the odds of them all getting the next update were slim to none. Good on you google phones I guess.

Fishmech is only mostly right on this one (a rare example of fishmech not being 100% right)

A lot of phone vendors spin off their own operating systems that are based on Android, but you're entirely dependent on that vendor when it comes to updates (and if you want to keep the stock OS installed). Most vendors are really good about keeping the software up to date, so most of the phones that you thought had "slim to none" odds of receiving updates probably received updates. Some aren't that good and will let poo poo fall behind. And in general, really old phones will stop receiving updates at some point so as to remain usable (unlike Apple phones, which receive all of the updates but eventually become unusable as a result).

If you're worried about having the latest software, then you can always install a custom ROM and then decide for yourself when to update, and to what degree. Usually the latest Android features are available in alpha and beta builds long before an official release is announced, and the developers of custom ROMs add these features to their own stable builds. The best part is that it takes about 30 minutes to root a device and get a custom ROM installed on the first try, and installing a new ROM is about a 2 minute process from then on

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyway, one thing I remember hearing about Project Paperclip was that the reports on German scientists all went through a thorough white washing to remove any stain of Nazism. Instead shockingly enough every scientist just happened to be apolitical, especially Von Braun. Just ignore that whole "SS Major" thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

muscles like this? posted:

Anyway, one thing I remember hearing about Project Paperclip was that the reports on German scientists all went through a thorough white washing to remove any stain of Nazism. Instead shockingly enough every scientist just happened to be apolitical, especially Von Braun. Just ignore that whole "SS Major" thing.

Yeah this was done because plans had been put in place to staunchly refuse any nazis refuge and so on... before the military and others realized that they really wanted to grab all the researchers they could before those dang commies could.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

muscles like this? posted:

Once the rockets are up who cares where they come down?

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 27, 2014

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

Once the rockets are up who cares where they come down?

That's not my department says Wernher Von Braun

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Von Braun supported our troops by ensuring they had fantastic pensions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

Fishmech is only mostly right on this one (a rare example of fishmech not being 100% right)

A lot of phone vendors spin off their own operating systems that are based on Android, but you're entirely dependent on that vendor when it comes to updates (and if you want to keep the stock OS installed). Most vendors are really good about keeping the software up to date, so most of the phones that you thought had "slim to none" odds of receiving updates probably received updates. Some aren't that good and will let poo poo fall behind. And in general, really old phones will stop receiving updates at some point so as to remain usable (unlike Apple phones, which receive all of the updates but eventually become unusable as a result).

You could also just be hosed by having Verizon as a carrier even if you have a Nexus phone! That was a thing. That was fun. I'd rather just not update my phone if I think it's too old to run the OS properly (because this is still an optional thing, you'll just have that little red bubble in the corner of settings letting you know it's there) than have to wonder if/when Big Red is going to approve of the update.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Phones. Phones.

http://www.infowars.com/police-woman-beheaded-at-oklahoma-workplace/

I'm sure this will be spun into another "false flag, crisis actors" thing by the conspiracy crowd. The comments on the article already have.

quote:

same script as 2001 ... first the declaration of war against islam (al cia da)and attack on afghanistan; cia asset pearle is "beheaded"; anthrax "attacks" (forgotten when it was exposed that they came from non musims within the u.s.) and the mysterious death of the dr it was pinned on ...

then there were the two black american muslim 'd.c. snipers' ...

2014 declaration of war against islam ('isis' --israeli secret intelligence services---and SUDDENLY "khorasan" is produced out of thin air as well); "beheadings" with obvious hollywood background and victims not fighting to stay alive and not frightened;attack on syria/iraq; ebola outbreak (in "boko haram" territory) well known sierra leone african dr dies of ebola suddenly in july when he was about speak about what was actually going on ...

and now the 'beheading' by a black american muslim in oklahoma

SAME EXACT SCRIPT
Do these people think anything real ever happens? Do they think their life is the Truman Show?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've been reading through Popular Mechanics' debunking of 9/11 conspiracy theories and what do you know, they left the comments open. And of course, loony truthers descended on it like ants at a picnic. An interesting read, no doubt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Phones. Phones.

http://www.infowars.com/police-woman-beheaded-at-oklahoma-workplace/

I'm sure this will be spun into another "false flag, crisis actors" thing by the conspiracy crowd. The comments on the article already have.

Do these people think anything real ever happens? Do they think their life is the Truman Show?

There are mental illnesses where the symptoms involve believing that everything is part of an elaborate ruse. Internet conspiracy theorists don't really help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Truman was very adamint that NO GOD drat NAZIS would be given safehaven in the US. Thing is, in Nazi Germany, the only way to get anywhere was to join the party. When you live in a free and democratic society, you can't really fathom what its like to live in a dictatorship, that they can control your lives to an extreme amount. Anyone who wanted to get anywhere in Germany during the Nazi period had to join the party, or you faced isolation and alienation. Oh Franz who owns the green grocer doesn't have to join unless he wants to, but if you want to build rockets that go to the Moon, welp, you gotta join up. The heads of corporations like Krupp, Heinkel, Porche, IB Farben and others joined because they knew that's how they would get the sweet sweet goverment contracts.

It's like Utah in the past, it was extremely difficult for anyone who wasn't a Mormon to operate beyond a certain level.

Now did they all join because they wanted to burn all the jews and shoot all the slavs and make the world a Germanic dominated one? No, there's a great many primary sources showing that many of the scientific and industrial leaders who were members of the party were horrified at what they were doing beyond the conduct of the war. It's not like they could speak out against it in public, and they knew where their bread was buttered. They wanted contracts to build tanks and airplanes, so they'd keep any personal reservations to themselves, or just pretend they don't know what's going on. There are a few execs at Farben that clearly had convinced itself that Zyklon B was just a pesticide, even though it was more powerful than what would be needed to kill bugs and rats.

But the big thing is the usage of slave labour. Pretty much past 1941, German industry was pretty much a slave economy; POWs, certain concentration camp inmates and even just local people were gathered up and used to build the massive projects they continued through the war. V2s were built mostly by slaves, which Von Braun criticized heavily, and clearly didn't approved of the brutal treatment the SS guards who ran the factory were putting them under. Though from his own journals, he seemed more upset that they were making substandard rockets, rather than any human cost.

Though you can say "okay, the scientists and engineers just wanted to build poo poo, and kept their heads down as so not lose their funding or worse", but they weren't the only Nazi's that were brought over to the US after the war. Many from the intelligence community were also brought over. The US military and OSS was still terrified of communists, and many Abwehr and Gestapo agents came to the US military and went "I have tons of info on the Soviets, and i'll let you have it if you let me off for all the people I tortured for fun" and the Americans were all "Sure!". The thing is, much of the information was false. One famous report that shaped early CIA policy claimed to have information of Stalin's intent to follow the Victory in Europe to wage proxy wars in South America to create a new block of Stalinist states, or that the Red Army was a hundred million men and 50 million tanks all ready to invade western Europe following Germany fall. We know now that while the Russians were a massive military Juggernaut there was no serious plans to continue the war in the west following the end of Germany, as like everyone else, they just wanted to go home and start rebuilding. Stalin was also concerned if the war kept going, the men would become so loyal to Zhukov that he would be able to overthrow Stalin.

The most upsetting thing is this intelligence operations were not just limited to information, but material support too. The CIA had a great many Nazi's working for it in the early days. They hired Otto Skozeny to train some of the first Middle Eastern terrorists, intending to train them to fight against communists in the middle east, but old habits die hard. (I'd like to note this is directly from Skorzeny himself, so he may have been full of poo poo, but based on what the CIA has done, I'd not be surprised if it was true).

Real conspiracies! Mostly boil down to "look the other way at what this guy did so we can use it against our REAL enemies".

• Locked thread