Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

WarLocke posted:

I'm not sure how those other guys are managing to actually hit poo poo with them.

TAG while you know you'll have time for them to land, or NARC for the longer range poo poo. Also, you just bring absolute fuckloads of missiles so who cares if 50% of them don't even hit anything. I prefer using them at closer ~300m ranges against people in the open and actually running other range matching weapons, because at that range you don't get the huge arc. Depends on the map/positioning a lot either way you play them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Even if they add good brawling maps it doesn't matter because you can't choose what map you play on so you have to hope the map randomly matches up with what's effective for your loadout rofl

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Good spotters help, and you get a sense of what is or isn't going to land after a while. Also, that module that lets you hold lock longer is handy.

The Gate posted:

TAG while you know you'll have time for them to land, or NARC for the longer range poo poo. Also, you just bring absolute fuckloads of missiles so who cares if 50% of them don't even hit anything. I prefer using them at closer ~300m ranges against people in the open and actually running other range matching weapons, because at that range you don't get the huge arc. Depends on the map/positioning a lot either way you play them though.

This is also true. I usually go for around 400m, myself.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 23, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lemming posted:

Even if they add good brawling maps it doesn't matter because you can't choose what map you play on so you have to hope the map randomly matches up with what's effective for your loadout rofl

Bracket builds. :haw:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Launched for the first time in two weeks, first match is Alpine against a sync-drop 12-man team setup for LRM spam. Get TAGged, get back behind cover, twenty seconds later I'm still somehow locked so alt-F4.

Of course the only way for LRMs to be adjusted is if Paul drops against one of these teams and then it'll be LRMs take 30 seconds to achieve lock but circle back on the firing Mech and kill it if it loses lock and if you carry more than a40LRM set you get ghost explosions and die because the missiles et each other off at launch or something.

All of which I would be perfectly okay with.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The Gate posted:

They're only there to be "placeholders" for the solid rounds LB-X's are supposed to have as an option. I don't know why they bothered honestly.

So do they actually function as 20 damage per shot cannons or are they just like the ultra's except they can't double tap? The ammo count per ton could have tipped me off. Never mind. :downs:

E: Running around currently with this Dire Wolf that is probably bad: Cannon Whale. It's fun though.

EE: First match I immediately run into Russ. I think he was the first to explode. :v:

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 23, 2014

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

WarLocke posted:

Idunno, the one match Ripersnifel, Kazvall and I had in it turned into a really awesome mobile brawl because there's no real way to set up firing lines and tons of ways to flank positions.

Maybe once people learn the map it'll settle down but it's kind of the opposite of Alpine/Caustic right now IMO (there's basically no wide open areas).

As for LRMs, it's weird I kind of want to try a lurm boat because it seems effective as hell whenever I'm being poo poo on, but red dudes drop off radar all the loving time between ECM and Radar Deprivation so I'm not sure how those other guys are managing to actually hit poo poo with them.

e: Someone talk me out of buying a Locust. Only 1.5mil for the chassis!

You're hosed if anything looks at you funny? :v:

I'll sabotage myself, though, and say that a 2xML Locust variant with the 2 CT hardpoints and a STD engine was a funny zombie.

Also, I'm lacking my daily bout of torture and want to train Vindicators. Should I get a -1AA with 3xLL 1xFlamer (shits and giggles), or drop the 2 DHS and 1 LL for a LPL/PPC? Vindy in question. I already have the XL295 from my Skittlejack so the :10bux: is not a problem.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Do you enjoy the idea of being a literal running gag? Then buy it. Else save your c-bux for something.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

novaSphere posted:

Do you enjoy the idea of being a literal running gag? Then buy it. Else save your c-bux for something.

Okay then maybe a Raven. Then I could bring ECM! I just need something that's not a Centurion and preferably not a medium...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Don't forget that you also get to waste 1.5 mil on double heat sinks and like 750k on endo. That 1.5mil joke isn't looking so great now is it.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Okay then maybe a Raven. Then I could bring ECM! I just need something that's not a Centurion and preferably not a medium...

The 3L is still a great mech. Play it with 2xERL or a standard TAG/NARC build.

Then weep as you grind two poo poo chassis while people try to focus you down like you're the ECM version, except you aren't.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Madturion

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

You really don't need that LL. Just load up the SRMs and go punch things.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Number19 posted:

You really don't need that LL. Just load up the SRMs and go punch things.

I loving wish. I'd be boxing other 'mechs like it was mike tyson's punch out if we could hit each other.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Played a couple of games this afternoon, the number of people with both top tier clan packs is staggering. I hate everything and everyone, especially myself for spending some of my founders MC on the Heavy Metal, god gauss loving sucks to use now; it is just the worst thing.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

What is actually 'top tier' for the King Crab bonus? The 'shut-up-and-take-my-money' maximum amount ones?

Say I didn't give two shits about the Gargoyle; the Hellbringer pack isn't gonna count? I could finally get my Falconer Grognard on.

Also, Ice Ferret is gonna be hil-arious. 126kph Medium. Fastback is back, baby!

This is all assuming the 'new direction' lasts longer than next month, anyway.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 24, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ranzear posted:

What is actually 'top tier' for the King Crab bonus? The 'shut-up-and-take-my-money' maximum amount ones?

Yeah, so the Masakari or Gargoyle packs, or the equivalent Founder or Phoenix ones. The $120 or $240 or whatever most expensive pack types.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, so the Masakari or Gargoyle packs, or the equivalent Founder or Phoenix ones. The $120 or $240 or whatever most expensive pack types.

So while the Gargoyle isn't worth $30 to me, I wonder if the King Crab is. Well played...

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Ranzear posted:

So while the Gargoyle isn't worth $30 to me, I wonder if the King Crab is. Well played...

Quoting this in case anyone was still mistakenly giving any thought to any points you have tried to make while hilariously losing arguments ITT

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ranzear posted:

I find it deeply amusing and utterly disgusting that whole "I'm changing" schtick has carrots attached to it.

What can I do to get you in a new mech today?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

DiHK posted:

I find it deeply amusing and utterly disgusting that whole "I'm changing" schtick has carrots attached to it.

What can I do to get you in a new mech today?

Fire Paul, honestly. Out of a cannon preferably.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kazvall posted:

It's not that I don't understand your point. It's just I don't understand how you can only ascribe to one playstyle while rejecting others. 12 vs 12 with clans feel like a wholly different beast than any sort of IS only match. You want to do as much damage as possible in a short amount of time otherwise you're going to get alpha-ed down. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using your lasers with your missiles. I have not encountered a situation where my heat was an issue in this regard.

If you have enough spare heat capacity to regularly use lasers as part of your primary weapon rotation in an SRM Centurion it means you aren't doing a good enough job of positioning yourself to get off consistent volleys, you've made unnecessary compromises to get better heat capacity than you really need, or you're playing on Alpine. The Mentrion is a very refined SRM delivery platform. As Gwaihir said, it's a good enough mech that putting MPLs on it won't give you cancer, but if you're paying attention to your laser output then it's probably taking attention away from your missile output and one of those is a lot more effective than the other.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Voyager I posted:

If you have enough spare heat capacity to regularly use lasers as part of your primary weapon rotation in an SRM Centurion it means you aren't doing a good enough job of positioning yourself to get off consistent volleys, you've made unnecessary compromises to get better heat capacity than you really need, or you're playing on Alpine. The Mentrion is a very refined SRM delivery platform. As Gwaihir said, it's a good enough mech that putting MPLs on it won't give you cancer, but if you're paying attention to your laser output then it's probably taking attention away from your missile output and one of those is a lot more effective than the other.

This has been helpful, I'm a terrible robot pilot who just shits out lasers and missiles and overheats. Thinking of it as a waiter who only delivers trays full of rocket explains why I've never made that build work for me.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.
Oh yeah baby, spit on it - official motto of my direwolf b

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

WarLocke posted:

I once saw a Locust with 2 AMSs pop up in front of an enemy LRM boat just as it was releasing a salvo. Said locust proceeded to turn and loving race the missiles to the goddamn LRM's target, SHOOTING EVERY SINGLE MISSILE OUT OF THE SKY in the process.

Zoom zoom motherfucker.

edit: oh I thought you said talk you INTO buying one. Heh.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
We're halfway through the Transverse funding campaign, let's check on how it's doing!

quote:

Crowdfunding Progress

Pledged In Total

Backers So Far

Total towards current goal

$500,000 / Liftoff
1% Funded

$500,000
$9,370 Raised So Far

Goal gets us to an alpha state on ship construction, flight, combat and harvesting. Please check out the funding page for more details.

15 DAYS TO REACH GOAL

Exciting times!

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
God Bless.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I have found a mech worthy of challenging the Dragon as the most powerful mech in the game.

I present the Adder, the new most powerful mech.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

This has been helpful, I'm a terrible robot pilot who just shits out lasers and missiles and overheats. Thinking of it as a waiter who only delivers trays full of rocket explains why I've never made that build work for me.

Rofl that's a great description of a Menturion. Would Monsieur care for a refill on high explosive? No? Well you're getting it anyhow.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 24, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I simply do not agree. I honestly laugh at the thought of not being able to handle two weapon groups effectively. Mostly the argument I am seeing has to do with vague insistence on how you 'should' play in someone's dream situation. It does not boil down to that, for me, in actual play.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I can buy an argument that rocking the MPL's is good for less face-time on the target, but instant-fire SRM's are even better for utilizing your torso twist and shield arm to survive return damage.

Basically what it boils down to is that 2xML (or 2xMPL) does 10 (or 12) damage, while a face-full of SRM18 does 37.8 damage. The minute that firing your lasers causes your heat to rise high enough that you can't fire your SRM's, you've lost out on potential damage. If you are doing hit-and-runs it's not as big of a deal since you can cool-off (well, except lolClans can chase you down now) but for sustained brawling I think ML's (and not using them unless it's really worth it) are the way to go.

(Old-guard goons tend to be set in their ways about stompy robots, but the hilarious thing is that they are often right because so little has changed about the game).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazvall posted:

I simply do not agree. I honestly laugh at the thought of not being able to handle two weapon groups effectively. Mostly the argument I am seeing has to do with vague insistence on how you 'should' play in someone's dream situation. It does not boil down to that, for me, in actual play.

That's so not even the issue. It doesn't matter how good you are at juggling different weapon groups, the cent doesn't have enough to even count as "juggling". It's just a fact that the more you use lasers on a cent, the less SRM shots you get in the same amount of time, and the less damage you do in total. No amount of player skill changes that. You have a fixed amount of heat capacity and dissipation. Each SRM shot does 3 times more damage for each point of heat than each laser shot. That's just the fact of how the game works. It may "feel" different in practice, but that doesn't change the hard and fast numbers. It's even worse if you give up a heatsink to bring medium pulses, because then you're losing SRM dps without even firing the lasers.

A silly pubbie reaper atlas with two arm large lasers as one group, a CT Large laser for a second group, twin LRM15s for a third group, and a gauss rifle for a 4th group has to worry about juggling weapon groups, cents don't.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

That's so not even the issue. It doesn't matter how good you are at juggling different weapon groups, the cent doesn't have enough to even count as "juggling". It's just a fact that the more you use lasers on a cent, the less SRM shots you get in the same amount of time, and the less damage you do in total. No amount of player skill changes that. You have a fixed amount of heat capacity and dissipation. Each SRM shot does 3 times more damage for each point of heat than each laser shot. That's just the fact of how the game works. It may "feel" different in practice, but that doesn't change the hard and fast numbers. It's even worse if you give up a heatsink to bring medium pulses, because then you're losing SRM dps without even firing the lasers.

A silly pubbie reaper atlas with two arm large lasers as one group, a CT Large laser for a second group, twin LRM15s for a third group, and a gauss rifle for a 4th group has to worry about juggling weapon groups, cents don't.

:allears:

Why not just not take any lasers at all so you really can fire forever. This seems to be the play style you want people to use.

E: in this day and age you aren't just dancing around targets unloading srms to your hearts content. This is how you die. In brawling there are many moments where you need to take cover, or come around a teammate. Many circumstances that drive away from this ideal situation you come back to each time. Great if some idiot is standing still by himself and not even firing back.

E: I won't change your mind, you won't change mine. We can stop being silly about two loving lasers. Pulse, or standard.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 24, 2014

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Madturion

U-Madturion

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazvall posted:

:allears:

Why not just not take any lasers at all so you really can fire forever. This seems to be the play style you want people to use.

No, lasers have their place, and for only two tons it's a better investment than anything else you can put on the mech in their place. Especially given that cents probably Popsicle more reliably than any mech in the game. They're just not something you ever consistently lean on, and when you devote 4 tons to them instead of 2 they start being not worth the tradeoff.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

No, lasers have their place, and for only two tons it's a better investment than anything else you can put on the mech in their place. Especially given that cents probably Popsicle more reliably than any mech in the game. They're just not something you ever consistently lean on, and when you devote 4 tons to them instead of 2 they start being not worth the tradeoff.

You could invest in some cools shots, you know? I mean, if you even need them. I say try the game in it's current form and see how off you think what I'm talking about, is.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lurmcust

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This looks to be equally hilarious and awful. I approve this joke build! (all builds on a locust are a joke and meant for awesome griefing while earning max style points)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazvall posted:

You could invest in some cools shots, you know? I mean, if you even need them. I say try the game in it's current form and see how off you think what I'm talking about, is.

Coolshot is great especially now that you can auto-rebuy after every match. That doesn't mean you build a mech around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Coolshot is great especially now that you can auto-rebuy after every match. That doesn't mean you build a mech around it.

:ughh:

• Locked thread