Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, this thread moves fast. Any help?

It sure does.
I don't have huge amounts of experience with steam streaming, but I have tried it out successfully a few times. To answer your questions, both computers need to be signed into the same account, the game needs to be installed on your "server" computer but not your "client" computer (and if it is installed on both, there should be a dropdown option next to the play button specifying which machine you want it to run on), the server computer absolutely needs to have a decent card, but the client machine still needs to not be total poo poo, and your router needs to be hefty/not busy or you'll get really annoying lag. Also, the server computer becomes unusable when running games - any keystrokes or mouse movements will be accepted along your own, just as if you were playing the game with 2 mice and two keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

vmdvr posted:

It sure does.
I don't have huge amounts of experience with steam streaming, but I have tried it out successfully a few times. To answer your questions, both computers need to be signed into the same account, the game needs to be installed on your "server" computer but not your "client" computer (and if it is installed on both, there should be a dropdown option next to the play button specifying which machine you want it to run on), the server computer absolutely needs to have a decent card, but the client machine still needs to not be total poo poo, and your router needs to be hefty/not busy or you'll get really annoying lag. Also, the server computer becomes unusable when running games - any keystrokes or mouse movements will be accepted along your own, just as if you were playing the game with 2 mice and two keyboards.

Thank you! One last question: is there considerable strain put on the server computer in streaming a game vs just playing it to begin with? Say my wife can play Skyrim at 60 fps at medium detail @ 720p, how much could that be expected to drop once the game is being streamed? Very sorry to not have the video card details, I'm not home right now.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's not a problem with the algorithm and more a long, long-term problem that Steam has had in defining its genres. Those games are listed in the Steam database as "Adventure" games. Just like Tomb Raider and I think Far Cry 3 are considered "Adventure" games. I hope they eventually do recommendations based on your preferred tags.

You have no idea how annoying it is, as a point n click adventure fan, to have to wade through shooters, platformers, and other genres in the "Adventure" category just to find actual adventure games. This has been a thing for years.

Have you considered starting a curator page for adventure games? I'm, like, 2/3 serious: finding the hidden gems in a semi-niche genre seems like a way better use for the curation system than endorsements from YouTube personalities.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Movac posted:

Have you considered starting a curator page for adventure games? I'm, like, 2/3 serious: finding the hidden gems in a semi-niche genre seems like a way better use for the curation system than endorsements from YouTube personalities.

Down with this as well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thank you! One last question: is there considerable strain put on the server computer in streaming a game vs just playing it to begin with? Say my wife can play Skyrim at 60 fps at medium detail @ 720p, how much could that be expected to drop once the game is being streamed? Very sorry to not have the video card details, I'm not home right now.

If you can make use of hardware encoding, the difference should be pretty minute. I have noticed that it'll occasionally screw up some gfx engines, though, but I can't say I have noticed any kind of pattern. At most, games run in OpenGL universally work for me (which has since become my favourite work-around for games that offer a selection of graphics API), but Skyrim (just to pick your example) creates awful compression artefacting when I try to stream it. No idea why.

:shrug:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Danmaku Dave posted:

Huh, according to Steam.. Five Nights at Freddy's is a simulation game. It also really wants me to buy it, considering it keeps putting it in my recommended list.

Also, I'm shopping for a new game. Hatoful Boyfriend looks absolutely amazing, is it worth the price?

It's a very good game, especially if you stick with it all the way to the end.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

If you have any halfway modern Nvidia card, you can use Shadowplay - their special recording/streaming software - and be able to stream 720p/60fps at effectively zero system resource cost. It does all the gruntwork on a dedicated encoder chip on your GPU. At worst, you might lose 2-3fps, but even that's unlikely. It even natively streams to Twitch, (optional) facecam, mic and all.

If you're doing it all on your CPU, it'll probably put a dent in performance though. Not a massive one, but it's a pretty demanding process.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Malek posted:

Without spoilering it, what is the new content in Director's Cut of Shadowrun : Dragon Fall. I tried the original game but kept getting my poo poo clocked during the AI mission.

There are at least 4 new missions (that I've found so far - I haven't finished the game yet) all of which have been excellent. Your main party members now "level up" more regularly, and you get to direct how they advance by picking x-com like perks for them (Your decker now can actually get the best deck!...if you choose that perk). There are also (I hear) a few new endings to the game. They've also completely overhauled the combat. It is a little tougher, but also a lot more rewarding. It's still not at X-com levels of strategy, but the comparison is no longer laughable.

In a world without Wasteland 2 and Divinity:Original Sin, I feel that Dragonfall DC would be a shoe-in for RPG of the year. Heck, it still might be; I haven't even touched Wasteland 2 yet because I'm having so much fun with Dragonfall DC.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Movac posted:

I'll think about it. I've played more adventure games than I'd like to forget, including some dismal Microids and Adventure Company games.

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not just a tutorial but there's no exploration until very late game and at that point it's just constant battles in a large but ultimately extremely boring field until you go back to linear hallways for the rest of the game.

I really couldn't ever see myself playing it again.

Having constant battles wouldn't be a problem if the combat was good. But it's not. You control a single character's moves while the rest of your party is on autopilot. You can change their roles but not actually control what they do.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Your party members may be on auto-pilot, but at least they almost always choose the best possible action available to them, so there's that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

vmdvr posted:

There are at least 4 new missions (that I've found so far - I haven't finished the game yet) all of which have been excellent. Your main party members now "level up" more regularly, and you get to direct how they advance by picking x-com like perks for them (Your decker now can actually get the best deck!...if you choose that perk). There are also (I hear) a few new endings to the game. They've also completely overhauled the combat. It is a little tougher, but also a lot more rewarding. It's still not at X-com levels of strategy, but the comparison is no longer laughable.

In a world without Wasteland 2 and Divinity:Original Sin, I feel that Dragonfall DC would be a shoe-in for RPG of the year. Heck, it still might be; I haven't even touched Wasteland 2 yet because I'm having so much fun with Dragonfall DC.

Does it assume you already know how to play? I got Shadowrun and the DLC a while ago but have not gotten around to playing it. I wonder if I should start with the OG campaign or Dragonfall.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

K. Flaps posted:

FF 13 has one of the best battle systems that has ever been in an RPG. It also looks beautiful and has wonderful music, as well as challenging optional hunts, if you like to grind around and do 100% in an RPG.

Don't tell me this because I'm drawn to games with good battle systems. Even JRPGs.

I do have a mild guilty pleasure of grinding, too.

So someone refute this. Please

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Morter posted:

Don't tell me this because I'm drawn to games with good battle systems. Even JRPGs.

I do have a mild guilty pleasure of grinding, too.

So someone refute this. Please

The battle system is neat. The problem is that it takes about 20 hours for it to really open up. Everything up till then is a tutorial.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Unlucky7 posted:

The battle system is neat. The problem is that it takes about 20 hours for it to really open up. Everything up till then is a tutorial.

People repeat this 20 hour number a lot, but in my experience it's more like 3 to 5 until the battle system gets interesting and challenging enough. Now I know that 3 to 5 hours still sound like a lot, but it's worth it imo.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

Do you actually learn new gameplay features/mechanics 20 hours in or is this massive exaggeration.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Do you actually learn new gameplay features/mechanics 20 hours in or is this massive exaggeration.

It's really more like 5-10 if you don't really care (I'll own up to that) and it's more that they won't let you do the really good poo poo until later.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Ragequit posted:

After 15ish hours every character can take on every combat role, whereas before that they are only able to switch between two or three. If you have a party of 3, each with three different roles it's still 27 different combinations though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

K. Flaps posted:

After 15ish hours every character can take on every combat role, whereas before that they are only able to switch between two or three. If you have a party of 3, each with three different roles it's still 27 different combinations though.

I've never had the chance to play FFXIII, so I've always wondered how this complaint really compares to the other FF games. I mean, in FFVI you don't get to make your own parties until like 15 hours in, and you don't even get all the characters until like 20.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Unlucky7 posted:

Does it assume you already know how to play? I got Shadowrun and the DLC a while ago but have not gotten around to playing it. I wonder if I should start with the OG campaign or Dragonfall.
I was curious about this, too. If there's no tutorial in Dragonfall, is it worth picking up Shadowrun Returns when it goes on sale to get acquainted with the game? Otherwise, I was going to buy the director's cut, since everyone says the main campaign isn't worth playing.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've never had the chance to play FFXIII, so I've always wondered how this complaint really compares to the other FF games. I mean, in FFVI you don't get to make your own parties until like 15 hours in, and you don't even get all the characters until like 20.

It's the same in every Final Fantasy, and even most other jrpgs (Persona 4 starts with like 2 hours without a single battle, and it's still one of the best games ever made). The same is true with the complaints about linearity. Sure, FFXIII is very linear until a late point in game, but in older FFs it always took dozens of hours until you got your airship, too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Max Wilco posted:

I was curious about this, too. If there's no tutorial in Dragonfall, is it worth picking up Shadowrun Returns when it goes on sale to get acquainted with the game? Otherwise, I was going to buy the director's cut, since everyone says the main campaign isn't worth playing.

It ramps up. You'll be fine. It's not hard to pick up.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Unlucky7 posted:

A litte bit? There are a bunch of help pages you can read in DC, but that's about all you get. The original campaign used to do a decent job of easing you into the game systems and world, if by decent job you mean it took pretty much the whole campaign to do so, then had an absolutely abysmal and unfun final mission. So, not great. Plus, only Dragonfall DC got the awesome new combat changes. So my advice would be to only play the OG campaign if you've never played any shadowrun/cyberpunky and/or turn based RPGs before, and even then only play it until you start to get bored or annoyed. Otherwise, just go straight to Dragonfall DC (which is its own standalone game in steam, with its own steam entry, ie NOT the DLC dragonfall for Shadowrun returns) and see how you do with the first mission. If you feel you're having trouble, there's a thread on SA for the game here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476514

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd argue Returns is worth playing. You really don't have to play it if you don't want to though, but if you're going to play it you should do so before Dragonfall because Dragonfall is the type of sequel that just really improves on everything to the point where its kind of hard to go back.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dominic White posted:

If you have any halfway modern Nvidia card, you can use Shadowplay - their special recording/streaming software - and be able to stream 720p/60fps at effectively zero system resource cost. It does all the gruntwork on a dedicated encoder chip on your GPU. At worst, you might lose 2-3fps, but even that's unlikely. It even natively streams to Twitch, (optional) facecam, mic and all.

If you're doing it all on your CPU, it'll probably put a dent in performance though. Not a massive one, but it's a pretty demanding process.

This is your fault!

Streaming Gauntlet shortly here. Note: Not Gauntlet's normal BGM.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

K. Flaps posted:

It's the same in every Final Fantasy, and even most other jrpgs (Persona 4 starts with like 2 hours without a single battle, and it's still one of the best games ever made). The same is true with the complaints about linearity. Sure, FFXIII is very linear until a late point in game, but in older FFs it always took dozens of hours until you got your airship, too.

The difference being, other games use these sequences to build the world and the characters in it. In ff13 they plop you in the middle of nonsense and you have to wait twenty hours until they tell you about anything that is going on and who any of these intolerable people are.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

K. Flaps posted:

Each character has 3 main roles. The 3 secondary roles are expensive to level and get developed about as soundly as a D&D mage's ability to use halberds. They are there just so that your squishy mages can go sentinel when a boss telegraphs a cutscene attack.

Zombie Samurai posted:

You literally walk through a pretty hallway lined with "making it up as they go" plot, then you come to an open plain which has treasure chests and many exits to other hallways. Those exits open if you do sidequests all of which tell to go kill a marked enemy. That's what people call "FF13 gets good". Then you go into the endgame hallway.

FF13 would have been a better game as a rail shooter.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
ffxiii might have been a decent game if it were released only on phones

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orv posted:

Streaming Gauntlet shortly here. Note: Not Gauntlet's normal BGM.

Still a very solid BGM. :v:

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
I made a curator page for bad video games that can easily be facecammed by sociable gamers in their 20s. I'm also looking for other gamehunters to add bad games to the list!! It's over here buddies.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Still a very solid BGM. :v:
Pretty much the perfect choice for a Gauntlet stream. I'm so excited to get home to play this game. I wish I could find more impressions of it to hype me up even further, but this thread might just be the biggest source of discussion that I can find.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

oversteps posted:

Pretty much the perfect choice for a Gauntlet stream. I'm so excited to get home to play this game. I wish I could find more impressions of it to hype me up even further, but this thread might just be the biggest source of discussion that I can find.

Then allow me to add another voice to the choir. It is pretty drat great. Someone more informed should probably make a thread for it, even if only to organize multiplayer groups.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 23, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stream over for now because good god it's 3PM and I haven't eaten today. We should get some Goon Gauntlet going tonight.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Welp, finished Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate. The first two hours.. oh boy it's batman metroid!!! The last 5 hours.... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Stream over for now because good god it's 3PM and I haven't eaten today. We should get some Goon Gauntlet going tonight.

Wizard needs food, badly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Wizard needs food, badly.

That wasn't intentional. :suicide:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Would anyone mind shooting me an invite to the SA Goons steam group? Please and thank you! http://steamcommunity.com/id/S_J

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So the new Gauntlet is surprisingly good? It did catch my eye before but the relatively cheap price and complete lack of coverage gave me the impression it was going to be a stinker.

It is good. Very good.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I bought Gauntlet early based on early impressions reviews and am NOT disappointed at all. It plays really really really good. Definitely get it.

Edit: Moved my 'looking for players' thing to the next page.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

Would anyone mind shooting me an invite to the SA Goons steam group? Please and thank you! http://steamcommunity.com/id/S_J

I think you need to ask that here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2584158

• Locked thread