Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
That's a latin/hispanic thing, not a catholic thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

And yes, white belts are super aggressive and will try to literally blow you away, which is quite literally the opposite of jiu jitsu.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice, lightweight kimono that has a fastening system on the pants other than a drawstring? I'm partial to Tatami but I'm open to suggestions.

This is really late to the question but the Sprawl grappling long pants are awesome. I wear them with different gi tops whenever I can. Light weight, have the fight short, velco lock system and a draw string incase you're between sizes. Best pants I own for grapple sports.

Captain Log posted:

Thank you. That's what I assumed but every loving name has that catholic thing going where there's roughly eighteen different names and I can't make heads or tails of what's going on. It was easier when I was in Germany and everyone just had a capoeira name.

It's like soccer players. There's probably a whole lot of dudes named Silva, De Silva, Thiago, or whatever in their neighborhood and being "ninja" is easier for people to know who you are than being the fifth thiago de silva to walk into the gym.

I used to get called Venom at my old gym because I had a sweet rashguard with the same design as the bad dude from the spider man comics. We had three people named Steve in the class. It was just easier that way.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 23, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
wtf is happening in here

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

ICHIBAHN posted:

wtf is happening in here

The adults are talking.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

BlindSite posted:

It's like soccer players. There's probably a whole lot of dudes named Silva, De Silva, Thiago, or whatever in their neighborhood and being "ninja" is easier for people to know who you are than being the fifth thiago de silva to walk into the gym.

I used to get called Venom at my old gym because I had a sweet rashguard with the same design as the bad dude from the spider man comics. We had three people named Steve in the class. It was just easier that way.

lol

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
PRIDE: How did you get the nickname Shogun?

Rua : My friends gave it to me. They started calling me that 6 years ago and it stuck. My brother was called Ninja so they thought of a Japanese name for me. I was wearing a Shogun-brand gi at the time so that's why they called me Shogun.

PRIDE Why was your brother called Ninja?

Rua : Honestly, I don't remember. We've called my brother Ninja since we were kids. From what I've heard, Chute Boxe Japan's coach gave him the nickname. We didn't think we would be able to fight in Japan at the time, so it turned out to be a great nickname. I want to fight like a Shogun should.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Jesus Christ can someone please send a sack of new names and nicknames to Brazil. They have so few.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
How many assassins of various sorts are there in American MMA? It's not like everyone from outside brazil has got snowflake names for each fighter.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
if anything we need more deans of mean

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think funky vs smooth would be a pretty nifty fight.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Captain Log posted:

Jesus Christ can someone please send a sack of new names and nicknames to MMA. They have so few.

Edited for correctness.

And more Deans of Mean please.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 26, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

david carmichael posted:

if anything we need more deans of mean

my nickname is now the provost of posting

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think funky vs smooth would be a pretty nifty fight.

Lombard (Lightning) vs Okami (Thunder) was a cool matchup

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
They did superman vs doomsday too.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

BlindSite posted:

This is really late to the question but the Sprawl grappling long pants are awesome. I wear them with different gi tops whenever I can. Light weight, have the fight short, velco lock system and a draw string incase you're between sizes. Best pants I own for grapple

Swell, I'll look into these.

I'm still open to non drawstring gi suggestions, though.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What about rico suave vs the natural?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
"The Promise" vs. "Beastin 25/8"

But make sure both of them are kicked out of UFC afterwards regardless of outcome

widunder
May 2, 2002
Renzo is rematching Sakuraba at Metamoris 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxdmohwNtE

E: Renzo is the only cool Gracie and will probably take it considering the state Sakuraba is in. My heart goes with Sakuraba though.

widunder fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 24, 2014

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Another secret match and Kevin Casey

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

widunder posted:

Renzo is rematching Sakuraba at Metamoris 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxdmohwNtE

Rory MacDonald?! That is an unexpected addition.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Any reason Vinny should whoop Casey?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Loving the turnaround on Metamoris. Hopefully they keep this pace of events up.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Any reason Vinny should whoop Casey?

He is better at jiu jitsu.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

MagicCube posted:

Loving the turnaround on Metamoris. Hopefully they keep this pace of events up.

THIS. Also, more cyborg.

Cant wait to see Sak though.

Back to badass nicknames, "The Diet Butcher" alex osaka or something.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I was just saying yesterday they should have Wanderlei vs Sakuraba in Metamoris.

Why Kevin Casey why do they put drug failures on all their cards now.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It's me, I'm the secret match.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

masato tatanka posted:

Wanderlei

drug failures

You don't want drug failures but you want Wand? I suppose technically he didn't fail because he refused to take the test?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I'm not saying I want Wanderlei anywhere but that would be the only avenue for him to go now, he at least has more name value than The N ew Breed Kevin Casey

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Personally I think it will be cool to see Sakuraba compete without any overwhelming risk of further brain damage, apart from having to listen to Royce Gracie rant about something retarded after the match.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Personally I think it will be cool to see Sakuraba compete without any overwhelming risk of further brain damage, apart from having to listen to Royce Gracie rant about something retarded after the match.

Serious question, what's he going to do when Renzo pulls guard? The leg kicks were his best weapon there but obviously not going to happen in Metamoris. What can he do besides dive into Renzo's guard or stand around and make the "cmon get up" motion while the ref does nothing?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

eshock posted:

Serious question, what's he going to do when Renzo pulls guard? The leg kicks were his best weapon there but obviously not going to happen in Metamoris. What can he do besides dive into Renzo's guard or stand around and make the "cmon get up" motion while the ref does nothing?

Cartwheel pass.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

eshock posted:

We all saw what happened the last time a catch wrestler participated in Metamoris. Expect a repeat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

always be closing posted:

THIS. Also, more cyborg.

Cant wait to see Sak though.

Back to badass nicknames, "The Diet Butcher" alex osaka or something.

Alexander Otsuka

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Sakuraba hasn't had knees since the first Bush administration so I am approaching this with a certain trepidation

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He is better at jiu jitsu.

I meant to type shouldn't. That seems like a squash match for Vinnie.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is, but Vinny does cool poo poo in squash matches.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
And there's always the chance Vinny will inexplicably get knocked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I view it as a tie breaker for the Keenan match. Whoever taps Casey faster wins.