Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Popcorn posted:

In Daft Punk's Girgio by Moroder, how do they achieve that kind of pitched scratching sound that's linked to the drums? You can hear it really clearly around 7:50.
It's probably literally someone scratching a turntable. Sampled, manipulated for pitch, I dunno. The exact sound really depends on what record you're scratching. I vaguely remember a plugin that let you load an audio file and then let you draw envelopes that emulated your hand going up and down, but that was maybe ten years ago. Really no idea how you'd fake it.

Fuckabees posted:

Ok, serious question though. I have been struggling to get a 90s piano sound that I want to do real bad. For lack of a better term, its like the 90s house crossover piano that can be viewed in literally any video featuring white and black people dancing in black leather against a white background while someone diddles the camera zoom back and forth.
A few essential aspects to the sound: piano with a fast, bright attack. Slightly chorused and/or honky-tonk type detuned. Unrealistically short release time. Most importantly: highpassed to hell. Like anything below 400Hz should be gone. Maybe bitreduced to 8/12 bit and lowpassed under 11KHz for that vintage sampler feel (optional). If the piano you're using wasn't multisampled or only uses one sample per octave, so much the better.

Part of it is the playing style as well.

Once you've got EQ and effects chain set up, try a few different piano sounds. It works better on some than on others and it's hard to explain what you should be listening for.

Please note that in the video a sinusoidal bass is layered under the piano afterwards to give it back some of its body. The actual piano sound is pretty hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Fuckabees posted:

Ok, serious question though. I have been struggling to get a 90s piano sound that I want to do real bad. For lack of a better term, its like the 90s house crossover piano that can be viewed in literally any video featuring white and black people dancing in black leather against a white background while someone diddles the camera zoom back and forth.

For a more modern example, it is similar to the piano featured here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0bdN4ZLAys&t=18s

I've tried various piano settings on soft and hard synths I have, and can't manage to find anything with that ting. I'm sure it comes standard on motifs and such, but any help on how to re-create?

Korg M1 piano.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
All of the above, but also just sample a piano chord, throw it into a sampler and play it from there.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Anae posted:

Korg M1 piano.
Figured the guy didn't have one. But then apparently you can just download the samples here. Helps to have the name.

Sjoewe posted:

All of the above, but also just sample a piano chord, throw it into a sampler and play it from there.
Also deffo this.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg has a soft M1 available for fifty bucks. Also part of their legacy collection for $200. The Piano 16' preset was pretty much the Chosen Piano for 90's house and one day I will get around to figuring out how the damned thing works.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys

Anae posted:

Korg M1 piano.

Spot on. I actually emailed the artist in the off chance he would just tell me. Actually a really nice guy. It is indeed the M1. Here is his response to my question:

Hey! It's the korg M1 house piano, with pretty heavy compression (after the reverb so the reverb gets compressed too) and I think I put a tiny bit chorus on it, maybe the syntorus. I wish there was more of a secret to it than that :)) since it was just right hand chords on piano I don't think I filtered it, just added some high-end sparkle on the EQ. Thanks for the kind words, cheers and good luck! -Pete

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys
[edit]

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's probably literally someone scratching a turntable. Sampled, manipulated for pitch, I dunno. The exact sound really depends on what record you're scratching. I vaguely remember a plugin that let you load an audio file and then let you draw envelopes that emulated your hand going up and down, but that was maybe ten years ago. Really no idea how you'd fake it.

Thanks, but I don't think it's scratching.

1: It's linked to the drums; like, something (software I assume) is listening to the drum recording and triggering whatever the sound is. In the section around 7:50 where the drums are playing huge fills, you can hear how it's synchronising exactly to the mystery scratching noise.

2. It's pitch-based. Whenever the sound "triggers" it's like a white noise descending pitch, almost like synth toms.

3. At 8.41 you can hear the sound decaying. Doesn't like turntable scratching to me.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's a highly resonant bandpass over some noise, overdriven and clipped to all hell, with a gate sidechained to the non-hihat drums. The bp frequency is automated, perhaps randomly upon each drum hit.

edit: Yup. 3 minute sketch over one of my beats: https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/lcratchytest/s-al5RK

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 22, 2014

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

loving hell, that's brilliant! Nice work!

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

wayfinder posted:

I think it's a highly resonant bandpass over some noise, overdriven and clipped to all hell, with a gate sidechained to the non-hihat drums. The bp frequency is automated, perhaps randomly upon each drum hit.

edit: Yup. 3 minute sketch over one of my beats: https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/lcratchytest/s-al5RK

This is goofy and brilliant as hell.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

That would be the difference between a bad guess and sheer genius. Bra-loving-vo. No arguing with that.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

e: edit/quote disaster.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 22, 2014

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Just tried doing this myself, and the bit I'm not getting is how to get it to trigger a new sound with each drum hit. How can a gate do that? It's just cutting an existing sound in and out.

e: is this what the bit about the bp frequency means? I can't figure out how to use that. I have it set to a random LFO and it isn't doing it.

I don't even have anything I want to use this sound for, I'm just curious. I like it.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 22, 2014

breaks
May 12, 2001

Cutting an existing sound in and out is triggering a new sound... On an analog synth for example, it's not like the oscillator stops when you don't have a key pressed, it's just the VCA and/or the filter cutting continuous audio in and out.

In Wayfinder's example, most of the time the filter cutoff is being swept around while the gate is open. If you are using a S&H style random LFO, or just a slow one, it might not be changing quickly enough to get the same effect. You want it to glide around fairly rapidly. You could also use an envelope follower, or automation.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I set the bandpass frequency to change randomly every 3/16th note. The rhythmic pattern is completely driven by the volume of my drum track, via the gate's sidechain input. The input noise is a continuous sound with no dropouts.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 22, 2014

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
That sounds awesome.

Anyone knows how to link a MIDI parameter to a random value in Ableton? Like if I wanted the frequency of the bandpass filter to receive a random value every X time (as in the effect you are talking about)?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KaosPV posted:

That sounds awesome.

Anyone knows how to link a MIDI parameter to a random value in Ableton? Like if I wanted the frequency of the bandpass filter to receive a random value every X time (as in the effect you are talking about)?

Was about to ask the same, that sounds absolutely wonderful and I'm pretty sure you're a wizard, wayfinder.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

I used the LFO on the auto filter for this.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 24, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

I used the LFO on the auto filter for this.

That's strange. I thought you might've done that because it had the 3/16 setting, but I just never got it to sound right. I think 90% of my parameters were way high though :downs:
Thanks a bunch!

e: it works!
I have to make use of this somehow, love that effect.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 25, 2014

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
From the OP:

Laserjet 4P posted:

Educational Tools
The Reason 4 demo version works for 20 minutes, a time I've found generally sufficient to tweak a sound until it matches and then take a screenshot. Also, it works on a Mac.

The Synth1 synthesizer has a clear, no nonsense UI and is free to download.

Both are excellent educational tools; if you have anything else, please suggest it.

Go.

How do I use Synth1, I downloaded it and it appears to be some kind of plugin, what does it plug into?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Crankit posted:

How do I use Synth1, I downloaded it and it appears to be some kind of plugin, what does it plug into?
A plugin host. Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) are most often vst hosts. You could take a look at Reaper, it has a very generous trial (basically don't need to pay until your conscience plays up).

It will be a bit overwhelming at the start, but all DAWs are and Reaper has plenty of beginner youtube tutorials.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://youtu.be/WwS_-uNovK4?t=4m31s

Can someone tell me how to recreate the synth at the end of this video? It sounds like a blend of Mannheim Steamroller and Dre haha.

The instruments I have available to me are a Microbrute and an old Yamaha CS1x. Cheers!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The sound of Steve Jones guitar on the second verse of "EMI":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjbie1O1jxc

Sounds like a muscle car. I heard he used just a twin reverb (stolen from Bob Marley), but I don't see how he could get a twin that overdriven without a pedal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ChocNitty posted:

The sound of Steve Jones guitar on the second verse of "EMI":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjbie1O1jxc

Sounds like a muscle car. I heard he used just a twin reverb (stolen from Bob Marley), but I don't see how he could get a twin that overdriven without a pedal.

You have to crank it yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFeu3dtp3ec

(Please keep in mind that cranking a Twin Reverb is going to be really, really, really loving loud)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4IIHvTu8_Q&t=400s
Explosions in the Sky

The lead guitar at 6:40, some sort of delay tape echo thing. I yearn for that epic tone!

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't know if this is how they did that specific sound and I mostly work with synths, but I like to get similar sounds using two reverbs.

Short reverb > delay > Long reverb

The short reverb you want really short, maybe start around a 1/4 second tail, very small room type sound, probably 50-100% wet. Aside from the source sound, this is where all the action is. Basically trying to use this like a chorus/ensemble/unison/blurring effect instead of as a normal reverb.

The delay just set to something simple and fairly subtle, or even omit it if you want.

The long reverb can be whatever long verb you like, this one you are basically using in a standard way.

EQ is always helpful and obviously a reasonable amount of dirt on the guitar before it hits the FX.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

ProperCoochie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4IIHvTu8_Q&t=400s
Explosions in the Sky

The lead guitar at 6:40, some sort of delay tape echo thing. I yearn for that epic tone!

Yeah definitely a liberal amount of reverb and tape delay. BTW I hear it sounds like an ebow.

Fake edit: Ebow confirmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMVoAKozcIU&t=460s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goons, I need to know how to recreate the Ghostbusters proton pack/neutrino wand beam sound. Not the startup or shutdown, but when they're actually 'busting' a ghost.

From what I can make out, there's a punch at the beginning, most likely a sample used in fight scenes in film, and just filters over one or two white noise signals with some sort of disyortion, while a bass synth (triangle wave maybe?) is played underneath. The bass would have some randomised tremolo, I think as well. Am I even close?

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
I've been trying to figure out the main synth sound to Soulwax's Krack for about 2 hours now on my Korg MS-20 soft. It's driving me insane. any suggestions are much appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfufrJcLwWs

the sound I'm looking for comes in at 58 seconds, just as the song kicks

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

snappo posted:

I hear mostly square waves, without any real processing. Here's your first link re-done with a Minimoog; not a lot of resonance, cutoff all the way down, filter envelope amount set about halfway, a tiny attack lag, and decay set to give it a similar bounce bounce.

I've been trying to recreate this for a few days, I'm bad at this. This is about as close as I can get with the analog instrument in Ableton Live + an EQ:

Is there an obvious thing I'm doing wrong or can I just not get that sound from that instrument?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Selim Sivad posted:

I've been trying to figure out the main synth sound to Soulwax's Krack for about 2 hours now on my Korg MS-20 soft. It's driving me insane. any suggestions are much appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfufrJcLwWs

the sound I'm looking for comes in at 58 seconds, just as the song kicks

I got about this far, there was some flanger at the very end I couldn't replicate though. The filter at the right is a HP also.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

kuf posted:

I've been trying to recreate this for a few days, I'm bad at this. This is about as close as I can get with the analog instrument in Ableton Live + an EQ:

Is there an obvious thing I'm doing wrong or can I just not get that sound from that instrument?

I've never used Ableton Analog, but the problem I hear is that the contour of each note is completely flat/static. You need to employ a filter envelope to smoothly lower the cutoff when the note is triggered. The same goes for the amplifier--it should diminish in volume as the note is held, so there is a short fade-out at the end of each note. If filter slope is an option, you'll want to use a 4 pole (24db) lowpass instead of 2 pole (12db), which will give the bass a darker tone.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

How can I create the kind of sweeping whoosh sliding synth stabs in this? eg 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

It's a classic synth sound, it's been in hundreds of things, and apparently it's back.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

Popcorn posted:

How can I create the kind of sweeping whoosh sliding synth stabs in this? eg 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

It's a classic synth sound, it's been in hundreds of things, and apparently it's back.

i got this sound pretty simply: it's two saws/squares an octave apart (i used the harmonizer function in harmor rather than two saws an octave apart, but you can use two saws and it'll basically be the same thing) with a wide cutoff filter going down, a little vibrato, and 3x unison to taste. you could probably add a little resonance too, if you want, but i didn't.

here are the settings i used, in case my description sucked:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks. I've got something pretty close in Ableton's Analog but I can't get the filter envelope sounding quite right.

I think there's something else that makes it sound so good, which is the reverse snare before each synth stab - it makes it sound like the synth is kind of whooshing in (as well as the stab I mean). Doesn't sound as good without it.

e: I suddenly want to hear every song that synth stab thing's been in. Can anyone think of any?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 15, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Popcorn posted:

In Daft Punk's Girgio by Moroder, how do they achieve that kind of pitched scratching sound that's linked to the drums? You can hear it really clearly around 7:50.

This actually sounds less like scratching to me and more like white noise through a dirty, resonant bandpass filter with an envelope on it and the frequency altered subtly. At first, around 6:25, it sounds like the envelope is triggered by the drums but around 7:50 its rhythm doesn't follow the drums anymore. As the drum solo builds, it sounds to me like the amp and filter envelopes' sustain are increased, and probably the filter resonance as well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's (probably) an easy one! The "bass" used on Kraftwerk's The Robots (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wop47G2qeY&#t=22 Starting at 0:22). I'm usually pretty decent at recreating sounds but for some reason I can't figure this one out. Is it layered? It has a lot of bass and a lot of high end. What waveform is it, even?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah it's layered -- the higher pitch doesn't follow the same melody as the bass.

I haven't nailed the sound but the actual bass part is almost certainly a square wave and if I had to guess the upper melody is some sort of self-resonance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WpZZjy8MkU

Looks like this guy got it close, and he's probably using a saw wave for the base since there's no ring mod. Still, the high doesn't sound right but I think that's just the filter. My opinion ain't worth much but I think it's just a saw wave on a minimoog with a lot of resonance, and a lttle tweaking to make the melody.

• Locked thread