Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Talmonis posted:

I'm looking for books (hopefully on Audio as well) that are like the TV Series Twin Peaks (hell, like most of David Lynch's work). I know that Stephen King is good at this, as I've enjoyed; It, The Dome, Needful Things and Salem's Lot. I'm looking for bizarre looks into the daily lives and petty nature of small town America. Supernatural is fine, as is wierd.
Not sure if they qualify as "bizarre" or "weird," but the short stories of Raymond Carver come to mind. Definitely qualify as a "look into the daily lives and petty nature of small town America." Check out Cathedral or Why Don't You Dance? for a taste. If you're looking for more by him, check out his collections What We Talk About When We Talk About Love and/or Cathedral. Also, George Saunders just came to mind as well—another short story writer. He falls more into the "bizarre" and "weird," with his stories often centering on lower-middle class Americans, and often with a sci-fi-like bent. Take a look at The Semplica Girl Diairies and Sea Oak to get an idea. Tenth of December is my favorite of his collections, but really you can't go wrong with any of the four. I definitely get a David Lynch-esque vibe from some of his stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Talmonis posted:

I'm looking for books (hopefully on Audio as well) that are like the TV Series Twin Peaks (hell, like most of David Lynch's work). I know that Stephen King is good at this, as I've enjoyed; It, The Dome, Needful Things and Salem's Lot. I'm looking for bizarre looks into the daily lives and petty nature of small town America. Supernatural is fine, as is wierd.

I asked for this last year.

The top of the list, for me, is Etgar Keret. He is an Israeli short story writer. His plots and stories are absurd and surreal, his style is humorous and concise, and he has a naive optimism, much like Lynch. I know you said small town America, but his stories are all about everyday people in bizarre situations. He is my favorite short story writer. He has a few short story collections, all of them are fantastic:

The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God (contains the short story Kneller's Happy Campers, which was made into the movie Wristcutters: A Love Story)
The Girl on the Fridge
The Nimrod Flipout
Suddenly, A Knock on the Door

Here are some stories to try out:
Crazy Glue
LieLand
The Story About a Bus Driver Who Wanted to be God
Black and Blue

For novels, you should look into The Burn Palace and Pines (goon recommendations). Both are small towns where weird things happen. Pines has a sci-fi twist, though.

Daniel Handler is fantastic, but his books get very hosed up. The Basic Eight is Lemony Snicket mixed with Heathers.

And then there's always Kafka, Vonnegut, and Carson McCullers.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

For novels, you should look into The Burn Palace and Pines (goon recommendations). Both are small towns where weird things happen. Pines has a sci-fi twist, though.

I picked up Pines for the same reason but found it really unsatisfying as a Twin Peaks-esque story, it didn't deliver at all and the sci-fi twist ruins it, if you ask me. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't gone into it knowing that the author wanted to write something like Twin Peaks. I'm going to check out The Burn Palace though, that one looks pretty good.

Talmonis, I've read most of the stories and novels that have been recommended here in response to your request (Carver, Keret, Saunders, Vonnegut) and to be honest none of those scratch that Twin Peaks itch for me, though they are all fantastic writers in their own right. The only thing that even comes close for me has been watching The Twilight Zone.

So I basically just came here to poo poo all over everyone's recommendations :) sorry.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I am looking for horror books about witches. I would really like a horror story with witches that are in the past (not modern times), but any good and scary ones will do.

I am thinking witches like in the movie Hocus Pocus, but evil and scary (not campy like in that movie).

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 24, 2014

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

elbow posted:

I picked up Pines for the same reason but found it really unsatisfying as a Twin Peaks-esque story, it didn't deliver at all and the sci-fi twist ruins it, if you ask me. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't gone into it knowing that the author wanted to write something like Twin Peaks. I'm going to check out The Burn Palace though, that one looks pretty good.

Talmonis, I've read most of the stories and novels that have been recommended here in response to your request (Carver, Keret, Saunders, Vonnegut) and to be honest none of those scratch that Twin Peaks itch for me, though they are all fantastic writers in their own right. The only thing that even comes close for me has been watching The Twilight Zone.

So I basically just came here to poo poo all over everyone's recommendations :) sorry.

You might check out The Dinner by Herman Koch. It may fit the bill. I don't want to say too much about it, but it deals with a seemingly mundane situation that is anything but. Also, Gone Girl, perhaps?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks for the recommendation but I've read both of those and neither of them are anything like Twin Peaks. Like, at all.

Maybe it's time I start writing Log Lady fanfic.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

elbow posted:

Thanks for the recommendation but I've read both of those and neither of them are anything like Twin Peaks. Like, at all.

Yeah, that's probably your best bet...

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

elbow posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks_books#Official_releases

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

This is a treasure trove, I had no idea there were official Twin Peaks books! Thanks for that :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

So tonytheshoes's link dropped me into a rabbit hole of Twin Peaks books, and I found something that should fit the bill for Talmonis: an audiobook of Dale Cooper's tapes to Diane.

Sadly most of the other TP tie-in books are out of print, but you can find some stuff on https://www.glastonberrygrove.net

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Talmonis posted:

Not quite the same vibe, but both Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes hit some of those marks. PKD's Time Out of Joint might be good for something on the weirder end of the spectrum and Lewis' Main Street, John Irving, Stewart O'Nan, Ron Rash, Meyer's American Rust, Wiley Cash, and Goolrick's Heading Out to Wonderful for the reality-based side.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

elbow posted:

This is a treasure trove, I had no idea there were official Twin Peaks books! Thanks for that :)

No prob! I suddenly remembered my dad reading those.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Thanks everyone! I'm going to pick up some of those Twin Peaks books. As for a secondary recommendation, does anyone have any good Surreal Horror they can think of? House of Leaves was a good one for me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wanna read about Riot grrrl punk, what do

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Talmonis posted:

Thanks everyone! I'm going to pick up some of those Twin Peaks books. As for a secondary recommendation, does anyone have any good Surreal Horror they can think of? House of Leaves was a good one for me.

Not meta fiction ala House of Leaves, nor is it strictly horror (but it's pretty creepy at times): The Double, by Jose Saramago.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wanna read about Riot grrrl punk, what do

Girls to the Front by Sara Marcus for sure, maybe Rat Girl by Kristen Hersh as well.

You might also look at the Riot Grrrl Collection which is a sampling of the old zines and posters and stuff, I haven't actually looked through it myself, seems like it would be cool though.

Oh and watch the documentary The Punk Singer about Kathleen Hanna too.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to read some fictional realism set during the Golden Age of Piracy, and hopefully free of influence from Treasure Island.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Transmogrifier posted:

I'd like to read some fictional realism set during the Golden Age of Piracy, and hopefully free of influence from Treasure Island.

Hrm. Good question. Maybe Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates though I haven't actually read any more than parts of it.

It doesn't really fit what you're asking for but maybe James Michener's Rascals in Paradise -- nonfiction stories of various South Pacific rapscallions.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Transmogrifier posted:

Steinbeck's very first novel, Cup of Gold, a semi-fictionalized story of the historic Sir Henry Morgan. It's kind of an outlier in Steinbeck's oeuvre since he's still finding his voice and developing his style this early on in his career, but there are still flashes of brilliance even if the story and its pacing is a bit uneven.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm. Good question. Maybe Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates though I haven't actually read any more than parts of it.

It doesn't really fit what you're asking for but maybe James Michener's Rascals in Paradise -- nonfiction stories of various South Pacific rapscallions.

Yeah, I realize it may be difficult to find books along those lines since Treasure Island was the big break in, so to speak, into that genre. I should have specified that nonfiction is appropriate too, my mistake. Thank you for the recommendation!

moot the hopple posted:

Steinbeck's very first novel, Cup of Gold, a semi-fictionalized story of the historic Sir Henry Morgan. It's kind of an outlier in Steinbeck's oeuvre since he's still finding his voice and developing his style this early on in his career, but there are still flashes of brilliance even if the story and its pacing is a bit uneven.

I'll check this out, thank you. :)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I wana read "American Gods" by Neil Gamian, but the "author's perfered text" is twice as much as the first edition. Is there a significant difference between the versions, or can I get away with being a cheapskate?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone have any good books on South American history? Argentina in particular. Time period entirely optional - it just has to be good, interesting, readable history.

On an unrelated note, I wanted to learn a little more than re about Imperial Japan and medieval peasant revolts (no connection). Any good books on those subjects?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Can anyone recommend "optimistic" post-apocalyptic novels? Not like flowers and unicorns, but something that notes the good and the bad of humanity, and not just the bad seen so much in most of the genre. I want some glimmers of hope in the darkness.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Can anyone recommend "optimistic" post-apocalyptic novels? Not like flowers and unicorns, but something that notes the good and the bad of humanity, and not just the bad seen so much in most of the genre. I want some glimmers of hope in the darkness.

Dark Advent by Brian Hodge meets your criteria, I think. I guess if The Stand would qualify, then Dark Advent would, too.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel which was just released recently probably fits this bill. It's quite good and got a decent review in the New York Times.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Also look into Margaret Atwood's trilogy of Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood, and Maddaddam.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone know of an unabridged, print version of Charles Dickens's Tale of Two Cities that has the illustrations? I want it in print, and all I can find is eReader versions.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Poutling posted:

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel which was just released recently probably fits this bill. It's quite good and got a decent review in the New York Times.

Not quite as good as a positive review in The Times, but it's on the long list for the National Book Award, as well.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks for all the recommendations! On the topic, has anyone read Feed, by Mira Grant? Is that any good? Someone recommended it to me.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! On the topic, has anyone read Feed, by Mira Grant? Is that any good? Someone recommended it to me.

It's fine, and probably a cut above most of the recent wave of zombie books, but it's only so good and its portrayal of bloggers is...odd.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Did anything good or substantial come with the zombie wave? I do remember really liking World War Z when I read it, but I imagine it was an exception to the rule.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Did anything good or substantial come with the zombie wave? I do remember really liking World War Z when I read it, but I imagine it was an exception to the rule.

Cancer and most diseases are gone, due to the nature of the virus. It's a solid read, and I do recommend it. It does get a little...odd in the second and third books though.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone know any good cookbooks for simple, good meals for someone who never really did much advanced in the kitchen? I'd like something with a fair amount of everything in it, and explanations on why it does what steps when.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Galick posted:

Anyone know any good cookbooks for simple, good meals for someone who never really did much advanced in the kitchen? I'd like something with a fair amount of everything in it, and explanations on why it does what steps when.

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything: The Basics, The America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook (pretty much everything they do is great), and maybe check out Beth Moncel's Budget Bytes, too.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The Postman by David Brin

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I liked Raising Stony Mayhall. It's set in a world where Romero's Night of the Living Dead was a documentary of a zombie outbreak that really happened. Things got chaotic for awhile, but have now settled down and the book is basically the life story of a zombie baby that was found by a mother and her daughters, who then secretly raise it as one of the family on their remote farm.

Another good post apocalyptic book that isn't just doom and gloom is Will Macintosh's Soft Apocalypse.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Does anyone have any suggestions about good books to read about fundraising in general, particularly for non-profit organizations?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've recommend this in this thread a number of times, but Gone Away World is great and for what you're describing.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Also The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. The writing style takes a little while to get used to, but the story is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

moot the hopple posted:

Also look into Margaret Atwood's trilogy of Oryx and Crake

Truly, the most optimistic book.

E: maybe the tone of the sequels is different, haven't gotten around to them yet