Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You guys do realize that when Boss Leader was in the dream hub with Max, that she identified Max's spirit like it was nothing, right? If Max was being possessed by a 2nd spirit, BL would've seen that to. I don't believe it could have somehow hid from her in a room in a world of her own construction, where she literally is god. The whole "possessed by 2 spirits" thing was kinda funny, but I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever to even hint that it might be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
There's the fact that Boss Leader did notice something in his room. She also described Scrapdragon as bestial and crazed, not exactly the kind of spirit to talk to Doorman with the measure of wordplay it supposedly did. Also, when Max is getting thrown onto the tracks by Scrapdragon freaking out, he's suddenly saved from being crushed by something. It's unlikely that it's Scrapdragon since his bat isn't really pointed at the ground and Scrapdragon didn't seem very lucid at the time.
So there is evidence; it's not confirmed or anything, but it still hints at something weird with Max.

Happy Yeti fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 20, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, like Happy Yeti says I don't think Boss Leader's encounter did much to suggest Max only has the one spirit.

Being possessed could even explain how Max became a spectral in the first place, since apparently one of the ways to become a spectral is for a normal person to get possessed. At the start of the comic he gradually gains spirit-sight and his powers slowly grow in until he grabs the bat with Scrapdragon in it and history is made. I don't know how spectrals otherwise come about (is it some kind of X-Men "mutant puberty" thing?) but that would fit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roland Jones posted:

Also, wonder what's up with his armor. Apparently it's not a part of him, since it's lingering after his destruction, but since it was invisible at the start of the chapter it's not normal metal either.
Forge possessing his own armour would be pretty cool.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I want Forge to possess Max simply so that Forges angst can collide with Maxs complete lack of giving a poo poo.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
You're all forgetting that Max is two kites gangster, which obviously means Forge is going to possess another tool for Max to use. Which then ultimately gives Max three spirits, once he figures out the one inside him, making him the legendary three kite gangster.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Dolash posted:

Yeah, like Happy Yeti says I don't think Boss Leader's encounter did much to suggest Max only has the one spirit.

Being possessed could even explain how Max became a spectral in the first place, since apparently one of the ways to become a spectral is for a normal person to get possessed. At the start of the comic he gradually gains spirit-sight and his powers slowly grow in until he grabs the bat with Scrapdragon in it and history is made. I don't know how spectrals otherwise come about (is it some kind of X-Men "mutant puberty" thing?) but that would fit.

I thought the implication was that it had something to do with sharing a room with PJ.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Redbeard posted:

I thought the implication was that it had something to do with sharing a room with PJ.

Yeah, being around a lot of supernatural things can trigger it, as well as a diet obnoxiously high in citrus. The first supernatural thing that happened to Max was that he heard Hissin' Pete in his room like 10 minutes after arriving. Considering Mayview is a hotbed for spectral activity, it's no surprise that Max suddenly being exposed to a ton of it would trigger him turning into a spectral. Combine that along with the fact that his father grew up here, and he might just have a genetic proclivity for it. Most of the other oddities can be explained away, honestly, and I think people are just jumping to the most fun conclusion first here.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, being around a lot of supernatural things can trigger it, as well as a diet obnoxiously high in citrus. The first supernatural thing that happened to Max was that he heard Hissin' Pete in his room like 10 minutes after arriving. Considering Mayview is a hotbed for spectral activity, it's no surprise that Max suddenly being exposed to a ton of it would trigger him turning into a spectral. Combine that along with the fact that his father grew up here, and he might just have a genetic proclivity for it. Most of the other oddities can be explained away, honestly, and I think people are just jumping to the most fun conclusion first here.

Supernatural exposure is obviously not the only thing that makes someone awaken as a spectral, otherwise basically everyone in Mayview would be one. That place is chock full of spirits, so everyone's exposed to them even if they don't know it.

Also a spectral is like a ghost that's still alive. Perhaps a near-death experience is involved somehow. Or, given that Ed, Isabel and Max and maybe even Isaac are all missing parents, maybe the death of someone close to you is a factor.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Splicer posted:

Forge possessing his own armour would be pretty cool.

His normal form is just the legs, he makes the upper half with his metalworking abilities

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Suaimhneas posted:

His normal form is just the legs, he makes the upper half with his metalworking abilities

Are you suggesting he can work a hammer and anvil with his FEET? That's absurd!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
From now on, Forge will travel by walking on two hands.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Dynamic new page from the man who brought you suitsies.

Alt-text: Isaac literally seconds away from breaking into Naruto run

If this were any other page I'm sure Max would have words for Spender's new look.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
My money's on Agent Day beating all of them to the rescue.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Spender is a bird
Okay that's all I wanted to say

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think that's the coolest shot we've seen yet of Spender. And of course it's on him looking like a big yellow bird. Nerd bird.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Okay, I'm sorry, but no. That's a chicken suit, Spender. I don't care what kind of bird Lucifer really is, I don't care that it's thematically appropriate. Your super-form is just you dressing like a chicken

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Hmm. Spirit Fusion apparently turns you into a Luchador. I can get behind this.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So, Spender is a tremendous dork even when he's all super-saiyan? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Train will travel through Max with an anti-climactic "boop" noise and steam angrily off into the distance. Max will be fine apart from the mental trauma of the ghost train taking several minutes to finish driving through him.

e:is forge going to possess the tiny door?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 22, 2014

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
All I can think of when I see this page is "BiiiiiirdMaaaaaaaaan" He's even powered by light.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Man, Spender, if the choice is between saving a student and having to look like this... I don't know, there's always more students you know?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

heenato posted:

All I can think of when I see this page is "BiiiiiirdMaaaaaaaaan" He's even powered by light.

Are you sure you don't mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDtNLuQX5GQ

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Blackheart posted:

Man, Spender, if the choice is between saving a student and having to look like this... I don't know, there's always more students you know?

Hey gently caress you. Chicken luchadors can be badasses. :colbert:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

And then Max is unexpectedly flattened and killed. Max's ghost becomes the new lead character.

Although the agent they're supposed to meet showing up to save Max does feel like the natural next shot.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rasamune posted:

Okay, I'm sorry, but no. That's a chicken suit, Spender. I don't care what kind of bird Lucifer really is, I don't care that it's thematically appropriate. Your super-form is just you dressing like a chicken

Max is going to die having flashbacks to that time his dad showed up to school in a chicken suit. Nice going, Spender.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think we know who's Spender's inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-e4nlfdRI

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is why Spender should have become Dayman (Dayman!) instead.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Clearly it will go down like this after he is saved.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

That's bad news, considering that his legs got obliterated by Spender.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Max is going to die having flashbacks to that time his dad showed up to school in a chicken suit. Nice going, Spender.
Clearly Spender borrowed it from Max's dad. Or vice versa.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kgummy posted:

That's bad news, considering that his legs got obliterated by Spender.

:thejoke:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Everyone panicking is going to seem so silly when the Ghost Train just goes right through Max. Because it is a ghost.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Seravadon posted:

Everyone panicking is going to seem so silly when the Ghost Train just goes right through Max. Because it is a ghost.
I still haven't seen any evidence that it's stopped warping material around it. That's how it was rampaging underground. Unless I forgot something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's ambiguous here, but it might be slamming into the ground and throwing up dirt.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Now we know that the distant flash of light on this page is from SPIRIT! FUSION!!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Splicer posted:

With the emphasis on it in the panel, I have a feeling the door is going to be somehow relevant. Though, my first thought was that he'd try to enter the door while still in the tiny "dead spirit" form, but I'm not sure if he could even do that now that Spender has the Doorman locket.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MikeJF posted:

It's ambiguous here, but it might be slamming into the ground and throwing up dirt.

Yeah, even if you interpret what's happening to the ground and trees as a messed up version of the warping, if you look close you can see the train tracks being scraped up off of the ground.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Splicer posted:

Train will travel through Max with an anti-climactic "boop" noise and steam angrily off into the distance. Max will be fine apart from the mental trauma of the ghost train taking several minutes to finish driving through him.

The train'll stop and they'll have reached their destination and a message will play saying to watch your step as you exit the train.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ditocoaf posted:

Now we know that the distant flash of light on this page is from SPIRIT! FUSION!!

Nice catch. Did not notice that, that rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The spirit train warps everything around it normally, but when it finds a set of railroad tracks it remembers its life as a train and gets ready to plow down any damsels in distress and/or nerdy 12 year olds unfortunate enough to be on the tracks.