Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

You guys are scaring the poo poo out of me and making me rethink wanting a mk7 Golf R :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Franco Caution posted:

You guys are scaring the poo poo out of me and making me rethink wanting a mk7 Golf R :(

Nah it's cool, you should get the DSG too, it's pretty quick!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, they're a compromise, but they don't seem to be that big of one when handling is concerned. The list of great driver's cars using struts is pretty long.

Notably most/all modern BMWs including every M3 generation, AE86 Corollas and MR2s, and the aforementioned Boxster and Cayman. Double wishbone does not automatically = better than strut - it results in more unsprung weight and takes up more room in the engine area when used up front.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't hear you over all of this CAMBER GAIN from my DOUBLE WISHBONES. Also the E36 M3 is hot loving garbage.

Franco Caution posted:

Good. Buy a car worthy of your love.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Franco Caution posted:

Out of curiosity why are you interested in a Golf R versus an STi, 3 Series, or one of the many other competitors in that price segment? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, just curious why people like the Golf R.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cream_Filling posted:

Out of curiosity why are you interested in a Golf R versus an STi, 3 Series, or one of the many other competitors in that price segment? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, just curious why people like the Golf R.

As someone who is also looking into that car, the fact that it combines AWD, a hatch, and doesn't have quite the boy racer feel as the STI, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3, Evo, etc.

I'm not sure any BMW compares, unless you compare used to new. the closest BMW you can get new is a 228i xDrive Coupe, which has less power and isn't a hatch. The M235i is like $9k more.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

pik_d posted:

As someone who is also looking into that car, the fact that it combines AWD, a hatch, and doesn't have quite the boy racer feel as the STI, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3, Evo, etc.

I'm not sure any BMW compares, unless you compare used to new. the closest BMW you can get new is a 228i xDrive Coupe, which has less power and isn't a hatch. The M235i is like $9k more.

If you can find a 2014 STI hatch they're really not that bad. It looks nearly identical to the WRX and if you debadge it no one would ever know.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pik_d posted:

Dunno, has the US pricing been announced yet? Assuming it costs more than the last model you're looking at a $35-40k car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Golf R definitely has a nicer interior and ride than the STi as a daily.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Tell that to my parents, whose '96 Silverado 2500 was on it's third transmission by the time they sold it. Traded it in for a brand new 2009 3500 duallie which has already eaten a wheel bearing and had to have the trans dropped to fix something with the clutch pack. And the AC compressor poo poo itself about two years into ownership. It currently has but 15,000 miles and has never towed anything heavier than a ~1000 lb aluminum boat.

You can find these kinds of stories from all 3 of the domestic brands. Better buy a foreign truck instead. Oh wait, that will just rust in half.

Cream_Filling posted:

I don't think the Golf R is going to be a terrible choice this time around. It's actually going to have decent hp compared to it's competition!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, has the US pricing been announced yet? Assuming it costs more than the last model you're looking at a $35-40k car.

Yeah, I'm assuming about $35k +/- a few thousand. I looked up the STI hatch after Pr0kjayhawk mentioned it, it's about $37k, so no likely benefit in initial price at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But this definitely is a big factor.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But the STi's tach and speedo needles rotate when you start the car indicating future speed.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

eriddy posted:

But the STi's tach and speedo needles rotate when you start the car indicating future speed.

STi interiors also hold up fairly well over time. Unsure whether this will be true for the VW.

edit: also apparently no real LSD on the VW, though I'm not an expert on how the Haldex AWD setups work

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 24, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

Unsure whether this will be true for the VW.

So far, mine is holding up decently. It has taken some abuse too. Lots of trips to Colorado packed to the brim with gear. The only damage I've noticed so far is where the edges of skis/snowboards have rubbed on plastic for 600 miles.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Franco Caution posted:

Love my 2010 GTI. Minimal problems since I got it.

Or just buy a reliable old BMW and just worry about the cooling system blowing up your car. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

2015 c63 wagon (465 hp)

Waaaaaaaaant.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

El Scotch posted:

2015 c63 wagon (465 hp)

Waaaaaaaaant.

I love that we live in these times. What a bonkers thing to carry the shopping around in.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PeterWeller posted:

This isn't really true anymore with the introduction of the American Jetta and Passat, which are filled with hard plastics and often powered by rough old motors.

The Jetta isn't great, the Passat I think is as good as most of the competition in most respects(interior, styling, space etc) except for the outdated 2.5l engine that gets worse fuel economy than competitor's V6s with less power than their I4s, while still having a 5 speed manual trans, but they've replaced it with a much more competitive 1.8T now, and the VR6 was always very nice - I almost never see any incentives on the VR6 Passats while they piled them on for the 2.5ls. It's always amusing when VW PR touts their 25% take rate on the TDI engines as some kind of sigg that the US is on the verge of a diesel revolution. No, the only people who even look at your cars are crazy VW apologists and even they are disgusted by your decades behind the competition (except for the VR6) gas engine lineup, the TDI is the only one that's remotely worth buying.

Also VW's entire strategy for the last few years has actually been a disaster by their own admission, sales are down double digits. When they opened the new Alabama plant they wanted to get to 800k sales in the US by 2018. They are currently at less than 400k and falling while GM and Chrysler are up by double digits, and management is getting shitcanned left and right.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2014/06/volkswagen-america
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/01/vw-u-s-sales-chief-trivieri-gone-after-sales-decline-in-a-growing-market/

These days Subaru is a significantly larger player than VW in North America.

Well anyway back to cars that Americans will actually buy, B5 Passat owners everywhere rejoice because there's going to be another longitudinal platform VW version of the Audi A6! :shepspends:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/09/volkswagens-american-phaeton-will-start-70k/

http://jalopnik.com/the-next-volkswagen-phaeton-will-start-at-70-000-in-am-1638115064

And of course, the storied Phaeton badge returns too.

Actually I know why this car exists, while most of the English-speaking automotive media seems apparently oblivious. VAG has 2 competing joint ventures in China, one with SAIC that makes VWs and Skodas, and another with FAW making VWs and Audis. The Audi-FAW JV is by far the most profitable, and the SAIC JV desperately wants a higher end product to cash in on those Audi margins. Giving them an Audi based, but not Audi badged large sedan makes perfect sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also get the new 3 row crossover too. Selling it in the US is really just a minor side show.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Cream_Filling posted:

STi interiors also hold up fairly well over time. Unsure whether this will be true for the VW.

edit: also apparently no real LSD on the VW, though I'm not an expert on how the Haldex AWD setups work

Oh I totally forgot about the Haldex setup on the Golf/TT. I was looking into a TTRS earlier this year and while you can buy aftermarket Haldex controllers, it's not on the same level as the STI's DCCD and you're still out $1k+ for the controller.

Also I got my STI hatch new for $34k.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Cream_Filling posted:

Like pik_d said it basically checks all the boxes I'm looking for. AWD, Hatch, available with a stick, doesn't scream look at me/ boy racer looks. I loving hate the STI rear spoiler with a passion.
I'm comparing last year's STI to this year's GTI but the interior and seats felt so much better to me in the VW. The same for the shifter.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 24, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

El Scotch posted:

2015 c63 wagon (465 hp)

Waaaaaaaaant.

There's no chance in hell I can afford this, but I want it so bad. :stare::fh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
What's wrong with tarted up economy cars anyway? Why is that an insult that gets flung around? The STs are fantastic, and those are tarted up economy cars. The Abarth is just an expensive 500, but is a pretty great little thing. Going quick with livability and space owns, I'd much rather daily drive a rad wagon or hatchback than some purpose built sports car.

If I could get an ST wagon or R wagon, or even a Mustang shooting brake, oh boy...

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Toyota started aggressively decontenting their vehicles around '96-97 in areas where they thought essentially they were so much better than competitors that the consumers weren't noticing the extra effort. There was a specific Toyota term for this but I forget it. You see this on things like triple door seals on early '90s Camrys vs single seals on later ones, moves to eliminate model-specific parts (that spectacularly bit them in the rear end when one accelerator pedal sensor ended up common across half the brand), etc.

This coincides with moving a lot of production from Japan to the US as well, and muddies claims that the US factories could or could not make as good a car.

This was as much to do with the Japanese economic bubble bursting as anything else, as the same cost-cutting and rationalisation was evident across models which never sold outside of the Japanese market.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SouthLAnd posted:

What in the loving gently caress?! :magical:

My Italian motorcycle can pull oil through the stator wires into the voltage regulator the same way, it's not that uncommon on bikes actually

Wheeee posted:

Nah it's cool, you should get the DSG too, it's pretty quick!

This but unironically, the DSG owns. And I don't get concern over the Haldex on-road, either. The VW is much, much better as a daily driver for someone staying remotely legal than an STI, and for the abusive conditions where an STI would be noticeably better you'd be foolish to buy a brand new one.

ROFLBOT posted:

This was as much to do with the Japanese economic bubble bursting as anything else, as the same cost-cutting and rationalisation was evident across models which never sold outside of the Japanese market.

This is valid. Basically Toyota was rolling in money, and then wasn't, and Toyota people started to see wasted profit opportunities all over the place. I'm not trying to make it out as some cardinal sin but it's a brand with a reputation for overbuilding / overengineering everything (look how many Toyota appliance-car engines had 6-bolt mains) who actively retreated from that to improve the bottom line. See also: Mercedes (where it is more of a cardinal sin.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

El Scotch posted:

2015 c63 wagon (465 hp)

http://i.imgur.com/66rhTFQ.png[/tIMG]

Waaaaaaaaant.
How is that any different than a hot hatch? RWD, I suppose.
(Also, YES!)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phone posted:

I can't hear you over all of this CAMBER GAIN from my DOUBLE WISHBONES. Also the E36 M3 is hot loving garbage.

Ironically Audis are well known for having 5 link front suspension across their longitudinal lineup. 5 links her meaning like a double wishbone except each leg of the wishbone was attached to its own pivot on the knuckle so as to give the front wheels zero scrub radius. So you get nice, precise steering, little torque steer, plus the camber gain and all the advantages of a double wishbone suspension. This is actually a legitimate advantage vs BMWs and whatnot.

Of course there is a small price to pay for this sophisticated German handling.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/i-have-audi-miles-i-was-recently

quote:

Dear Tom and Ray:

I have a 1998 Audi A4 with 30,500 miles. I was recently told that the left front control arm has to be replaced and that the right front control arm will soon need replacing. I was told by the dealer's service representative that this is normal wear and tear for a car after four years. I have a hard time buying that. What do you think? -- Tina

RAY: Well, he would have been telling the truth if he had said it's normal wear and tear for THIS car, Tina.

TOM: On most cars, it would be outrageous to have to replace your control arms after only 30,000 miles. Many last for the life of the car. But the control arms on this car are different.

RAY: On this car, the control arm and the ball joint (a crucial piece that holds the wheel on) come as one piece. So when the ball joint wears out, you have no choice but to replace the entire control-arm assembly. And unfortunately, the ball joints on this car were seriously underdesigned (meaning they're cheap junk).

TOM: We've been told that for the 2000 model year, Audi upgraded the design in the hopes that the ball joint would last for more than 30,000 miles.(Editor's note: LOL No they loving don't) But unfortunately, that redesigned control arm won't fit on your '98. So essentially, you're stuck replacing these things, to the tune of 400 bucks each(Editor's note: Remember, front suspension is a FIVE (5) link design. that's per side), plus labor, every 30,000 miles.

RAY: You have no choice but to replace them now, Tina. But you might want to give serious consideration to trading in this A4 at about 59,000 miles.

Pro: Superior German handling.

Even more Pro: Car will turn "stanced" after 30k miles with no additional input from owner.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phone posted:

CAN YOU SPEAK UP? I'M HAVING TROUBLE HEARING YOU OVER THE THROATY ROAR OF MY TORQUEY INLINE SIX's cooling system failing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, my 1999 A4 1.8T Quattro was a dream come true until the brake rotors, suspension links, catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, clutch and electrical system turned into dehydrated cat poo poo in a 1 year span. So basically I lived out every "LOL VAG RELIABILITY" stereotype except the timing belt failing prematurely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

The Jetta isn't great, the Passat I think is as good as most of the competition in most respects(interior, styling, space etc) except for the outdated 2.5l engine that gets worse fuel economy than competitor's V6s with less power than their I4s, while still having a 5 speed manual trans, but they've replaced it with a much more competitive 1.8T now, and the VR6 was always very nice - I almost never see any incentives on the VR6 Passats while they piled them on for the 2.5ls. It's always amusing when VW PR touts their 25% take rate on the TDI engines as some kind of sigg that the US is on the verge of a diesel revolution. No, the only people who even look at your cars are crazy VW apologists and even they are disgusted by your decades behind the competition (except for the VR6) gas engine lineup, the TDI is the only one that's remotely worth buying.

Also VW's entire strategy for the last few years has actually been a disaster by their own admission, sales are down double digits. When they opened the new Alabama plant they wanted to get to 800k sales in the US by 2018. They are currently at less than 400k and falling while GM and Chrysler are up by double digits, and management is getting shitcanned left and right.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2014/06/volkswagen-america
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/01/vw-u-s-sales-chief-trivieri-gone-after-sales-decline-in-a-growing-market/

These days Subaru is a significantly larger player than VW in North America.

Well anyway back to cars that Americans will actually buy, B5 Passat owners everywhere rejoice because there's going to be another longitudinal platform VW version of the Audi A6! :shepspends:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/09/volkswagens-american-phaeton-will-start-70k/

http://jalopnik.com/the-next-volkswagen-phaeton-will-start-at-70-000-in-am-1638115064

And of course, the storied Phaeton badge returns too.

Actually I know why this car exists, while most of the English-speaking automotive media seems apparently oblivious. VAG has 2 competing joint ventures in China, one with SAIC that makes VWs and Skodas, and another with FAW making VWs and Audis. The Audi-FAW JV is by far the most profitable, and the SAIC JV desperately wants a higher end product to cash in on those Audi margins. Giving them an Audi based, but not Audi badged large sedan makes perfect sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also get the new 3 row crossover too. Selling it in the US is really just a minor side show.

Worth noting that VWoA and the VW brand have cycled CEOs and head of sales a few times recently. Also, the plant is in TN. We'll see how the 1.8T does; I think it was obvious to everyone that the 2.5 had outlived its useful life by at least six or seven years.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Tell that to my parents, whose '96 Silverado 2500 was on it's third transmission by the time they sold it.

Wait which transmission did that truck have? The 4l60e or the 4l80e?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Don't know if you got it in the US but the now ancient 1.8T, first appearing in the Golf Mk4 GTI, is quite the turd in many ways as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

VWs issues apparently go far deeper than North America. There was a news article this morning about how their Wolfsburg plant is a disaster with regards to their new modular platforms.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/24/us-volkswagen-mqb-insight-idUSKCN0HJ0WL20140924?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

quote:

But at Volkswagen's main Wolfsburg plant earlier this year, workers had to resort to handing metal sheets to robots working on the E-Golf, said people who saw it happen.

The improvisation came after the electric model failed a simulated U.S. crash test. Planners at the 76-year-old plant decided to stiffen the frame of the car. But there was nowhere to put extra robots on the crowded assembly line, they said.

quote:

As well, a faulty internet wireless network at Wolfsburg has caused robots to malfunction, the sources said. One worker at the plant said that too many automatic attempts by employees’ mobile phones to access the network overwhelm it. Other problems include a tendency of the system to stop if overheated in the summer.

All this stuff is leading to production delays which is leading to overtime and then tensions with the workers in the factory.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

VWs issues apparently go far deeper than North America. There was a news article this morning about how their Wolfsburg plant is a disaster with regards to their new modular platforms.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/24/us-volkswagen-mqb-insight-idUSKCN0HJ0WL20140924?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

All this stuff is leading to production delays which is leading to overtime and then tensions with the workers in the factory.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown, or whatever. The latter sounds like an easily-solved problem, and for the former E-Golf is tremendously low volume and kind of stupid so I hope it does.

These aren't problems on the caliber of say, GM.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I recently test drove the MK7 Golf. It definitely felt more "solid" than my 2014 Mazda3. My Mazda is a great car and I prefer the simplicity of the infotainment system and the convenience of my heads up display but it's very light feeling. It feels like the sheet metal is flimsier and the car will come apart at its seams. I also like the lack of seams on the Golf because of the laser welding.

That being said I'm told that my Mazda will outlast the Golf at its current quality level while the Golf will degrade quickly.

So what's the build quality like on Mercedes BMW and Audi? Is it any better than VW? Or do cabins start peeling and rattling all the same?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Don't know if you got it in the US but the now ancient 1.8T, first appearing in the Golf Mk4 GTI, is quite the turd in many ways as well.

Yes, the Audi 20v 1.8T is the one sean10mm is talking about and the subject of at least 2 successful class action lawsuits (timing belt, engine sludge), and also the one with the bad coilpacks. Apparently other than being a typical VW it was on paper a pretty good design - it had a fully forged rotating assembly, and with 5 valves per cylinder could flow a lot of air, so once you fix all the bad bits it could make a lot of power. There was a guy here who had a long build thread where he pushed a 1.8t to many hundreds of HP. Truly the Olds 350 diesel of our day.

Note that I think during the same period GM was still selling Cavaliers with pushrod 2.2ls so it was some pretty advanced technology for its day. *

EDIT: * Well, if we pretend that Honda doesn't exist and GM is the only other car company in the world.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 24, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

I recently test drove the MK7 Golf. It definitely felt more "solid" than my 2014 Mazda3. My Mazda is a great car and I prefer the simplicity of the infotainment system and the convenience of my heads up display but it's very light feeling. It feels like the sheet metal is flimsier and the car will come apart at its seams. I also like the lack of seams on the Golf because of the laser welding.

Well the Mazda3 is slightly lighter in curb weight, but it's physically larger than the Golf and still does (slightly) better in crash tests. Your gut feeling is a combination of probably more spray-on sound insulating foam in the doors and you being a closet VW apologist.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Mazda's are durable as hell too

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Did Mazda ever fix their rusting issues with the new generations? I've seen 3's as late as 2010 MY have rusting issues locally, and anything from the 90's and early 2000's Mazda seems to have a rusty husk of it's former sheet metal. (Barring summer only cars like the miata or meticulously maintained examples)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So I was surfing some GM forums and GM definitely isn't concerned about the new aluminum F-150 at all, because what real American would buy an aluminum truck?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/misc.php?do=postrelease&prx_t=U5cBA5rkBAdBUCA&prx_q=711

quote:

“There are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond, and to know one’s self.”

-- Benjamin Franklin

Every metal has its own properties – and its own reputation. Gold is valuable, lead is malleable, steel conjures up visions of power and strength. Gold’s great if you need a bartering chip or a filling. Lead makes a good bullet. But if you want to forge empires and move nations – or build a strong, durable pickup truck like the all-new 2014 GMC Sierra -- you’re talking about steel.

A happy accident thousands of years ago led some ancient blacksmith to meld iron with carbon under intense heat -- steel fragments dating back 4,000 years have been found in Turkey. Infusing carbon in varying percentages hardens iron and makes it resistant to rust and warping. Protected from corrosion, steel can technically last forever.

As we became more adept at working with metal, steel blazed trails we still follow.

In 1804, the first locomotive rolled through Wales – on wooden rails. The new technology was not an instant hit – the rails wore out quickly. Once steel entered the picture, railroads instantly opened up new vistas for travelers and industry alike.

After 12,000 years of building ships from wood – great since it floats, not so great when cannonballs are flying or fires are raging – 15th Century Japanese craftsmen first hit on the idea of making an iron-clad vessel. It was another 400 years until the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia squared off in the first ever dual between two all-metal ships in 1862. The battle lasted three days, with neither side able to inflict much damage. After that, steel became the clear choice of shipbuilders for strength and durability.

So when it came time to put shipbuilding to the torture test of surviving underwater – a.k.a. the submarine – craftsmen knew where to look. The first submarines were made of wood, an idea that didn’t last long. When it came time to get serious about submerging sailors at depth with hull pressures approaching 580 pounds per square inch, the strength of steel made it the obvious option.

And not just any steel. Submarines are made of rolled steel, a process that makes the metal even harder and stronger (and the same material that forms the bed of the 2014 GMC Sierra). On submersibles using a double hull (an inner and outer shell, both made of steel) the strength of steel means the exterior hull can be as thin as 2-4 millimeters and still easily withstand pressures at the bottom of the ocean.

By the 20th Century, steel had made its way into every arena of modern life. Cables that held up astonishing bridges. Weapons that wouldn’t rust, or explode in users’ hands. Even better weapons, like advanced artillery and tanks. Buildings that stretched so high they coined the term “skyscrapers.” And, perhaps the most enduring application of all, good old American automotive muscle.

What would American automotive history be without steel? In 1913, Edward G. Budd developed the first all-steel automobile body in Philadelphia. The burgeoning auto industry in Detroit latched onto steel as its metal of choice and the rest is history.

And while many modern vehicles are light on steel and long on substitutes, there are still some that rely heavily on the strength and durability of the metal that literally built the modern world.

The all-new 2014 GMC Sierra features a bed made of rolled steel, not stamped, which is commonly used in pickups. Even better, the fully boxed high-strength steel frame not only improves ride and handling, it led to the 2014 Sierra 1500 Series becoming the only pickup to receive a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score for safety since NHTSA revised its rating criteria with the 2011 model year*.

Amazingly – and contrary to what you would think – the addition of more high-strength steel to the new 2014 Sierra actually reduces overall weight and improves fuel economy, while providing the strength and reliability to handle tough jobs for the long haul.

For 4,000 years, mankind has used steel when strength and durability were of the utmost necessity. Time marches on and technology propels us ever forward, but sometimes old ways are the best ways.

* Government 5-Star Safety Ratings are part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) New Car Assessment Program (https://www.safercar.gov).

The ad, in case you've forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfyXy1utRcY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

So I was surfing some GM forums and GM definitely isn't concerned about the new aluminum F-150 at all, because what real American would buy an aluminum truck?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/misc.php?do=postrelease&prx_t=U5cBA5rkBAdBUCA&prx_q=711

The ad, in case you've forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfyXy1utRcY

They kind of have to do this until they have their own aluminum truck. People are and have been making way too much of it.