Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Compared to Batman? Not at all. It's probably the best of the nineties Marvel cartoons, but that's damning with faint praise.

Actually that would be the Hulk cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Actually that would be the Hulk cartoon.

Never saw that one, I'll have to check it out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I still remember the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfOnCqgDXA

I think this cartoon also had Stan Lee voicing She-Hulk's father.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Skwirl posted:

Compared to Batman? Not at all. It's probably the best of the nineties Marvel cartoons, but that's damning with faint praise.
I would say Iron Man Season 2 and Fantastic Four Season 2 were better than X-Men as a whole, but that's not really fair since those were very short seasons, and I'm sure you could just as easily pick out 13 pretty good episodes of X-Men from the whole run. If you take both the first and second seasons of each as whole they come out much worse, of course.

X-Men absolutely does not hold up at all as a "serious" the series you most likely perceived it as, as a kid, but it does "hold up" as a very watchable "silly" show with strong designs and a pretty good, very 90s soundtrack.

I mean this is a show where Professor X and Magneto stuff a plane full of TNT (as in literal red boxes that say TNT on the side) and 911 it into a giant towering robot. Also this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMs6tELrE

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uh, excuse me

Case closed.

Hulk is actually really good, too. I barely remembered it, but my kid's going through a big Hulk phase right now so we've watched it a few times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
X-Men had Apocalypse also.

Apocalypse posted:

I am the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash against me and be broken

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Skwirl posted:

X-Men had Apocalypse also.

You are no closer than the Babylonians with their swords and firesticks!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Apocalypse's dialog in that cartoon was pretty unrivaled. I still feel like his voice is the definitive Apocalypse voice for me. Everything else about that cartoon was hilariously bad though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

Apocalypse's dialog in that cartoon was pretty unrivaled. I still feel like his voice is the definitive Apocalypse voice for me. Everything else about that cartoon was hilariously bad though.
Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Despite being highly highly influential Batman TAS has dated a bit in regards to the animation. The storylines still hold up well but the animation looks sketchy.

In regards to Gotham I'm laughing at them combining Barbara with Kathy Kane. Also it isn't terrible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Somebody please tell me that this costume is meant to look intentionally bad

Because if not, I've lost a whole lot of faith in the Powers TV show
. I would say the vast majority of amateurs doing cosplay looks better than that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

In regards to Gotham I'm laughing at them combining Barbara with Kathy Kane. Also it isn't terrible.
I kept forgetting that the main character was named James Gordon, so I'm glad the show kept reminding me every 3 minutes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It depends. You can never be sure with TV costumes because they're designed for post production.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finally finished watching the whole episode. Firstly the combining of Barbara with Kathy Kane is loving pointless, and would have made more sense to Gordon's commanding officer be Maggie Sawyer. I didn't have much else wrong with the episode. The dialog wasn't great but whatever. Harvey is a bit too corrupt (as opposed to just being a jerk) but James is pretty much spot on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cardboard Box A posted:

X-Men absolutely does not hold up at all as a "serious" the series you most likely perceived it as, as a kid, but it does "hold up" as a very watchable "silly" show with strong designs and a pretty good, very 90s soundtrack.
I think I watched most of it as a (very hungover) uni student, but point taken.

Madkal posted:

Despite being highly highly influential Batman TAS has dated a bit in regards to the animation. The storylines still hold up well but the animation looks sketchy.

Several different studios worked on the animation, so the quality is really variable on an episode-by-episode basis.

There are some definite misses as far as the stories go. Not that many, but they do stand out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As for as 90's cartoons go, I think X-Men has aged the worst of the bit. It was better than Spiderman even when both were still on but between dodgy animation and the TV censors X-Men has really shown it's age (plus the awful 90's costumes are laughable now). Batman, as was stated above had different animation studios and it shows. I always found the better episodes to be the more character driven stuff (Appointment in Crime Alley for instance) and it goes to show the excellent writing.
Another great cartoon, heavily influenced by Batman TAS, was Gargoyles, which despite some dodgy animation as well, had some really really excellent storylines that dealt with some heavy poo poo (hey, a cartoon had a main character actually get shot with an actual gun).
Superman TAS was also excellent and more of a lead in into JL.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

feedmyleg posted:

Somebody please tell me that this costume is meant to look intentionally bad

Because if not, I've lost a whole lot of faith in the Powers TV show
. I would say the vast majority of amateurs doing cosplay looks better than that.

It's a coin toss because really most capes would look like amateurs doing cosplay so it's maybe on purpose? I remember early Powers just being stuffed with no name low budget heroes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Madkal posted:

Finally finished watching the whole episode. Firstly the combining of Barbara with Kathy Kane is loving pointless

I haven't seen it yet, but was there some hint that she might become Batwoman? Because Barbara Gordon's mom actually is named Barbara Kean, so...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Second season of Iron Man was actually really good. Some say the same thing about the second season of FF but I never watched it myself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argue posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but was there some hint that she might become Batwoman? Because Barbara Gordon's mom actually is named Barbara Kean, so...

I think it's mostly that her family's rich and Renee Montoya is her ex.

Aphrodite posted:

It depends. You can never be sure with TV costumes because they're designed for post production.

Yeah, that's the light powers lady that was Retro Girl's BFF, there's probably going to be all sorts of particle effects, plus it'll be lit for night.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 23, 2014

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I always got the impression that the camp and silliness was played up in Powers. Like tons of serious stuff happened but the idea of people dressing up in tacky costumes to beat each other up wasn't something presented as cool thing.

Think of the outfits in the future segment of Back to the Future 2. They were never meant to be actual cutting edge fashion, just an over the top 80s take on Jetsons style future.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Powers tends to treat caped types as celebrities. So yes, there's washed up has beens, and fashion disasters, but the first arc also has the Iron Man knock-off, who's drawn to look legit impressive in costume. Like, when he's suited up, it's like a Greek god passing judgement and the mortals are powerless, despite how bullshit it is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yo, Agents of SHIELD premiere was pretty goddamn great.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dexo posted:

Yo, Agents of SHIELD premiere was pretty goddamn great.

The fx on Absorbing Man were surprisingly decent. I guess they got a budget boost for the premiere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Okay, what episode does Agents... become watchable. Because the first four episodes were godawful, but the way you fuckers talk about it make me want to give it a second chance. Assume I'm able to google any missing plot links (ie, I don't want to watch a bad episode just because it relates to a later, better episode).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Okay, what episode does Agents... become watchable. Because the first four episodes were godawful, but the way you fuckers talk about it make me want to give it a second chance. Assume I'm able to google any missing plot links (ie, I don't want to watch a bad episode just because it relates to a later, better episode).

"Turn, Turn, Turn" on

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the premiere tonight not only upheld the great momentum from the end of last season it improved on it in several ways. The Fitz story was soul crushing. And Absorbing Man was awesome. I think making them have to go underground really gives the show the little something it needed to work right. Great premiere around.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Skwirl posted:

Really the whole season suffered because it was waiting for Captain America 2 to happen, then they finally got to the fireworks factory with the Hydra reveal and it got good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Yeah the premiere tonight not only upheld the great momentum from the end of last season it improved on it in several ways. The Fitz story was soul crushing. And Absorbing Man was awesome. I think making them have to go underground really gives the show the little something it needed to work right. Great premiere around.

I can not wait to see what they do with Dale Cooper.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Kraken seems to have a relationship with another villain called Gorgon, who turns people to stone with his vision. The implications seem obvious, but not sure what route they'll take this.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bobkatt013 posted:

"Turn, Turn, Turn" on

Episode 12 ("Seeds") is where I think the turnaround started, but you can definitely just start with 17. I'd read the Wikipedia synopses or whatnot first, though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Arguably the episode with the Thor co-stars or whatever was decent and from then on is the tie ins to Winter Soldier.

I was not seeing the Fitz' reveal at all. Strange that Simmons left since she seemed to be in a lot of the promotional material while Fitz wasn't.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Arguably the episode with the Thor co-stars or whatever was decent and from then on is the tie ins to Winter Soldier.

I was not seeing the Fitz' reveal at all. Strange that Simmons left since she seemed to be in a lot of the promotional material while Fitz wasn't.

Not really since Fitz's status was uncertain at the end of last season.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

notthegoatseguy posted:

She's still around, she just left the main team because she thought it would help him regain his mind.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I hope they come up with an excuse to bring Lucy Lawless back. The cast seems to have loved her and she's got a relationship with the producers. Also she is Lucy Fuckin Lawless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone know who's got streaming rights to SHIELD?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has the UK premiere date for AoS season two been announced yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Has the UK premiere date for AoS season two been announced yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Nope. Best I could find was Channel 4 saying they're holding off to build up a buffer for breaks in the US run that wouldn't make sense here. Hopefully that just means late October, as opposed to 'January, but we can run it until the US starts airing season 3'.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah Channel 4 always holds episodes for new shows even though people have been complaining about it at least as far back as when they showed LOST. It'll probably be a month so they can do a consistent run until December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

zoux posted:

Anyone know who's got streaming rights to SHIELD?

Hulu oddly enough. I would have expected Netflix, given the big Marvel-Netflix deal, but no, it's on Hulu. :shrug:

Of course, you can find it on ABC's site as well.