Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Say Nothing posted:

One of my favorite 'WCW things'. Employed for nearly two years and didn't do a drat thing in that time. He clearly is a genius.

On the subject of WCW stupidity, wasn't there a released wrestler who got paid for around six months afterwards because nobody bothered to tell the front office that he had been fired?

Well, for the longest time, they were buying plane tickets for the entire talent roster to travel to every Nitro, even if there wasn't a snowball's chance in a blast furnace that they were actually going to be on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnM7mx0dwE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Thunder in Paradise is the greatest show in the history of television bar maybe What's My Line.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
On the ecw Monday night war episode today Heyman said that wcw hired Miley whipwreck away even though he was so best up he needed a year to rehab his ecw injuries. They took him just so ecw didn't have him. Then he wrestled a few matches and rehabbed and got paid.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A lot of this probably had to do with the company being Ted Turner's baby- they weren't spending their own money like WWF was/is. They only really started to cut back around 2000 when it was clear that things were going steeply downhill.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Maxwell Lord posted:

A lot of this probably had to do with the company being Ted Turner's baby- they weren't spending their own money like WWF was/is. They only really started to cut back around 2000 when it was clear that things were going steeply downhill.

Oh, that's a total given. Pretty much every guy who worked backstage has been asked "Why did you guys hemorrhage money as hard as you did", and their answer is almost universally "Ted loving Turner greenlighted us to spend as much as we wanted".

Even from 2000 onwards, they were still spending exorbitant amounts on throwaway poo poo like pyro.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Even from 2000 onwards, they were still spending exorbitant amounts on throwaway poo poo like pyro.

Not just pyro, but Jeff Jarrett guitars with pyro.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight it is the GO HOME SHOW for STARRCADE 1997! The biggest match in the history of wrestling is a week away! Join us tonight for this legendary episode of WCW Monday Nitro!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

it's nWo Nitro.

7:30 for Cowboy Who? 8 PM for Nitro!!!!!

There may be post Nitro content too. Not sure what it will be though.

This episode was a crime against humanity.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd argue that pyro isn't exorbitant. WWF had overtaken WCW in production value, and anything that made the company look less low-rent was a good thing.

poo poo like paying Lanny Poffo to do nothing, on the other hand, or paying Stevie Ray seven-hundred-and-fifty-thousand dollars? That's absurd.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I'd argue that pyro isn't exorbitant. WWF had overtaken WCW in production value, and anything that made the company look less low-rent was a good thing.

There's a difference between not looking low-rent and spending about 30 million dollars per year on production just for Nitro when you're running on a loss double that.

Edit: Actually, I think WCW might have spent closer to 40 million.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 24, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Great White Hope posted:

There's a difference between not looking low-rent and spending about 30 million dollars per year on production just for Nitro when you're running on a loss double that.
When you're spending far more on lovely talent that you could easily cut without anybody noticing, losing things that make your TV look worse makes little sense.

Why would you focus on pyro, of all things, when so much actual waste was going on?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

When you're spending far more on lovely talent that you could easily cut without anybody noticing, losing things that make your TV look worse makes little sense.

Why would you focus on pyro, of all things, when so much actual waste was going on?

Nitro production alone cost much more than the entire roster, and when you need to cut costs, you should get rid of things you actually can. You can't dump guaranteed contracts.

Not to say that WCW didn't waste an unbelievable amount of money on talent, but they wasted tons of money in pretty much every regard.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The wasted a hell of a lot on Michael Buffer, who should have only shown up every once in a while to make a big match feel bigger. Not every single Nitro main event.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Great White Hope posted:

Nitro production alone cost much more than the entire roster, and when you need to cut costs, you should get rid of things you actually can. You can't dump guaranteed contracts.

Not to say that WCW didn't waste an unbelievable amount of money on talent, but they wasted tons of money in pretty much every regard.
You sure your numbers are right? When Bischoff was shitcanned in '99 and the beancounter took over, they cut pyro outside of big acts like Goldberg. The factoid circulating at the time was that he'd saved the company "about a million dollars."

Even so, rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic wasn't going to save it. Pyro wasn't "a waste." It was an expense. A "waste" is something that does nothing for your show, like paying Stevie Ray three quarters of a million dollars.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Buffer was comically horrible too. "And now the man who is as bad as he wants to be. And that's very bad. The bad man, Dennis Rodman!"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's wasn't his fault if WCW was feeding him awful lines like that.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I heard all these numbers before, but I'm kind of confused, see Hulk Hogan was the one who was telling me how much they were spending on Lanny Poffo and according to him it was "460 million dollars, brother!" and they were spending "a cool 10 billion on Master P, dude!"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

Buffer was comically horrible too. "And now the man who is as bad as he wants to be. And that's very bad. The bad man, Dennis Rodman!"

Buffer got paid by the word.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

You sure your numbers are right? When Bischoff was shitcanned in '99 and the beancounter took over, they cut pyro outside of big acts like Goldberg. The factoid circulating at the time was that he'd saved the company "about a million dollars."

Even so, rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic wasn't going to save it. Pyro wasn't "a waste." It was an expense. A "waste" is something that does nothing for your show, like paying Stevie Ray three quarters of a million dollars.

According to Meltzer in 2001, WCW was spending about 750k per Nitro, and talent, while absurd, was 'only' something like 20-25 million (this number I don't remember what he said, but I know it was in the 20s, which stunned the guy who had called in thinking it was 6-8 million)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty sure he said Burt Hart once. Do you get a refund for hosed-up names?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

1st AD posted:

No, he mangled his lines regardless of quality. It was often very apparent that he didn't care as long as he got his paycheck. (In other words: :wcw:)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Red posted:

Bret Clarke.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

Well you can't expect them to stop paying for fake funerals and blood raining down from the rafters!! That's what makes Nitro great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Red posted:

It was "Bret 'Hitman' Clark."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't he also say "Raymond Stereo" at one point as well?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I think that was CRZ's name for him after it came up on his closed captions.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't he also say "Raymond Stereo" at one point as well?

On 'Uncensored 96' he announced Hogan and Savage, who at this point had long been calling themselves the Mega-Powers, as Megaforce.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

1998 WCW merchandise catalog.

http://wcwworldwide.com/post/97615593254/wcw-merch-cat-1998

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

That Bret Hart shirt will always baffle me. Why put a US flag behind him? I bet they started off with a design that incorporated the maple leafs then someone at head office was like "whoa whoa let's not go crazy here, lets 'merica this up a bit."

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I didn't know that once Bret Hart got to WCW, he stole Rick Martel's sunglasses, was that an angle?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

I didn't know that once Bret Hart got to WCW, he stole Rick Martel's sunglasses, was that an angle?

Martel had retired due to injury by the time Bret went over.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

fatherdog posted:

Martel had retired due to injury by the time Bret went over.

That's not true. Martel had a stint in early '98.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

That Bret Hart shirt will always baffle me. Why put a US flag behind him? I bet they started off with a design that incorporated the maple leafs then someone at head office was like "whoa whoa let's not go crazy here, lets 'merica this up a bit."

You have to remember that while he was Canadian by birth he still had that place in Springfield.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ChampRamp posted:

That's not true. Martel had a stint in early '98.

Martel was so good in that run. Then he killed his leg. :smith:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

triplexpac posted:

I had that Bret Hart shirt!

Jazz Hoyt
Nov 25, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

You have to remember that while he was Canadian by birth he still had that place in Springfield.

He was also responsible for getting WCW to give a contract to the Shrieking Sheik.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Great White Hope posted:

Martel was so good in that run. Then he killed his leg. :smith:
Did Owen kick it out of itself?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

triplexpac posted:

United States champion?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

Did Owen kick it out of itself?

Nah, Owen kind of dropped out of the picture around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

Nah, Owen kind of dropped out of the picture around that time.

:eyepop: