Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

S.J. posted:

The Ram already does this, though. The Defrolla does literally nothing special unless your opponent chooses to death or glory. You're paying 5 points to hope to God your opponent is a complete moron.

Oh poo poo you're right. I assumed it was still just an Orky dozer blade.

I guess you could say you're paying 5 points to make sure your opponent doesn't try to death or glory you. But there are a lot better things to spend 5 points on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Oh poo poo you're right. I assumed it was still just an Orky dozer blade.

I guess you could say you're paying 5 points to make sure your opponent doesn't try to death or glory you. But there are a lot better things to spend 5 points on.

Yeah it's a bit of a shame. Even if they just gave you an additional hit when you rammed. That'd be worth 5 points.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Cataphract posted:

Yeah it's a bit of a shame. Even if they just gave you an additional hit when you rammed. That'd be worth 5 points.

Yeah, or made your hit AP1 or 2, so you could potentially blow something up by ramming it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I really have no excuse for not understanding this by now, but someone help me out with this:

If I hit an Independent Character with a D-strength weapon, it wounds automatically and causes D3 wounds. Say I roll that out to 3 wounds applied to that IC. My opponent then tries to Look out Sir each of those wounds individually, yeah? But if he fails the LOS and dies to the attack, the further wounds do not pass along to the rest of the unit.

Or:

Does he only have to LOSir the one automatic wound, and then the guy who takes the hit from him then loses D3 wounds?

Furthermore, I hit a unit with a large blast D-weapon. Now you've got six dudes under the blast, with the IC in the middle. We should be doing Look out Sir for each of those six and then rolling up the D6 on the D-chart to see how many wounds the hit did to the affected model (with the possibility of doing no wound at all)?

Because it seems weird to me that you would LOSir before determining the result of the D-weapon, since with LOSir you pass wounds, not hits, and you could always roll a 1 on the D-chart. And if you roll up the results on the D-chart before passing wounds, then you're rolling up 6D3 wounds on the unit, before LOSir, and then trying to avoid all of those, but excess D-weapon wounds don't pass onto the rest of the unit and my head hurts.

vvv: Yeah, that's what made sense to me, too, but you don't roll to wound with D-weapons like normal, and the wounds don't go into a pool like normal. You could roll up a Lucky Escape, in which there are no wounds, and therefore nothing to LOSir, but the order that happens in is kinda important.

Fix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 23, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I would assume the latter, since it would work like an Instant Death wound or whatever. That's kind of just my interpretation though; if a dude gets hit by a Knight's chainsaw he doesn't explode into d3 chunks of dude that hit the squad.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think it would just be a single hit that happens to deal multiple wounds as a lump sum, so no LoSir splitting them up or anything.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fix posted:

I really have no excuse for not understanding this by now, but someone help me out with this:

If I hit an Independent Character with a D-strength weapon, it wounds automatically and causes D3 wounds. Say I roll that out to 3 wounds applied to that IC. My opponent then tries to Look out Sir each of those wounds individually, yeah? But if he fails the LOS and dies to the attack, the further wounds do not pass along to the rest of the unit.

Or:

Does he only have to LOSir the one automatic wound, and then the guy who takes the hit from him then loses D3 wounds?

Furthermore, I hit a unit with a large blast D-weapon. Now you've got six dudes under the blast, with the IC in the middle. We should be doing Look out Sir for each of those six and then rolling up the D6 on the D-chart to see how many wounds the hit did to the affected model (with the possibility of doing no wound at all)?

Because it seems weird to me that you would LOSir before determining the result of the D-weapon, since with LOSir you pass wounds, not hits, and you could always roll a 1 on the D-chart. And if you roll up the results on the D-chart before passing wounds, then you're rolling up 6D3 wounds on the unit, before LOSir, and then trying to avoid all of those, but excess D-weapon wounds don't pass onto the rest of the unit and my head hurts.

Don't you LOSir hits, not wounds? Just because it wounds automatically doesn't mean you skip the to-wound step, you just don't have to roll the dice. So he gets hit, you make your LOSir, then someone else gets automatically wounded and blows up d3 times, right? I could be misremembering though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
LOS specifies allocated Wounds, not successful to hits.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

No, you very specifically LOSir wounds.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Do you guys like skeletons and or skulls???

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fix posted:

No, you very specifically LOSir wounds.

Then I guess it depends on whether or not multiple wound hits are applied to the specific model only or if they can generate multiple casualties, and I have no clue about that because this game system is a mess :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

If you go by the precedent of older editions and Fantasy, they mean for each successful wound to cause D3 wounds to one model. I'm certain that is the case, but there's GW for you.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

Do you guys like skeletons and or skulls???
This is the Warhammer 40,000 thread, I think it's generally implied.

Speaking of, a buddy of mine got a box of 2nd edition Legion of the Damned plus 2-3 extra dudes and a bunch of extra bits for $50 on eBay a few weeks ago. I'm insanely jealous since those boxes usually go for 75-100 and don't come with extras.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I guess the best way to run it is:

"You've got six guys under the template. How many wounds do you do?"

*roll six dice on the D-chart - 1,2,3,4,5,6*

"Five. One escaped. Roll five Look out Sirs. One of those is stronger than the others."

*For every successful LOSir attempt, roll D3 or D6+6 wounds on the new target of the wound.*

*Go play X-wing*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

This is the Warhammer 40,000 thread, I think it's generally implied.

Speaking of, a buddy of mine got a box of 2nd edition Legion of the Damned plus 2-3 extra dudes and a bunch of extra bits for $50 on eBay a few weeks ago. I'm insanely jealous since those boxes usually go for 75-100 and don't come with extras.

Ok thank you.

*opens up skull themed notepad and writes down notes, you notice the pen also appears to be made out of bone and there is a little skull ornament on the end of the skull pen*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
*before the skullpad is put away you catch a brief glimpse of the notes, which appear to consist of several paragraphs of RATTLERATTLERATTLE*

*I place the skullpad into my skull backpack, which is actually a very large skull with ropes through the eye sockets to act as straps*

*I get into my skull-car and drive away in a spooky, yet distinctly homosexual manner*

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I have a question concerning the lore. Mutants are generally hunted and killed without mercy by the Imperium, of course. But, what if a child was born with two heads? Rather than being purged, would they instead be glorified as a shining example of the blessings of the Emperor, due to their 100% increase in skull content per body relative to standard humans? Thank you in advance!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, skulls are used as spackle in all major construction projects. Junkies grind up skulls and snort them through hollowed-out scrimshawed finger bones to get their fix.

Sojenus posted:

I have a question concerning the lore. Mutants are generally hunted and killed without mercy by the Imperium, of course. But, what if a child was born with two heads? Rather than being purged, would they instead be glorified as a shining example of the blessings of the Emperor, due to their 100% increase in skull content per body relative to standard humans? Thank you in advance!
They'd probably be killed immediately, but maybe get turned into a pair of servo skulls that are permanently linked.

E: Also, does anyone have a copy of the 7th ed rules from DV or Stormclaw lying around? The ones on ebay are going for 30-50 for a starting bid and that's just bonkers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sojenus posted:

No that would be a deviation of the blessed human form and therefore heresy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

No that would be a deviation of the blessed human form and therefore heresy.

Unless it is a sanctioned stable deviation of the blessed human form as in the case of ogryns, navigators, and ratlings.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fix posted:

*Go play X-wing*

Fix's got the right of it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hahjahjahaha reading old white dwarfs and came across this humdinger of

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Cataphract posted:

On the one hand there was an obscure situation where the rule said "no vehicles" but there was a loophole that could have been exploited to allow vehicles to take advantage.

It's not really a "loophole" if it's exactly what the rules intended. Infiltrate lets you bring along your dedicated transport. The Battlewagon is a dedicated transport. That's not really an abuse of the rules in any particular fashion any more than Infiltrate itself is- it lets you do something you otherwise couldn't because of an explicit clause in the rules.

Fix posted:

*snip*

Unfortunately the rules for Str D weapons are a total mess, so there's no actually a rules resolution for this. Either version is perfectly arguable and has support from a rules perspective, but I don't think there's a strong consensus either way.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Hahjahjahaha reading old white dwarfs and came across this humdinger of

So, the army rules in the 3rd Edition book, that was supposed to be it? The rules? Then, someone higher up said, "But, we won't make as much money, gently caress YOU!" and that was that.

Moola posted:

*before the skullpad is put away you catch a brief glimpse of the notes, which appear to consist of several paragraphs of RATTLERATTLERATTLE*

*I place the skullpad into my skull backpack, which is actually a very large skull with ropes through the eye sockets to act as straps*

*I get into my skull-car and drive away in a spooky, yet distinctly homosexual manner*

Funniest thing I have read here. Are you on Steam? Please, enjoy this skull related thing: http://vimeo.com/99281500

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He goes on to state in the next page that the rules plays second fiddle to the models.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

S.J. posted:

Fix's got the right of it.

Pretty much. You want a mechanically sound game, you go play something not made by GW, or at least not Warhams. On the other hand, if you want to assemble and paint mans and make them fight on the dining room table, this poo poo's for you. Like a grognard's version of Pokémon.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I was just reading the Renegade GT rules about army building, and they have at the bottom this paragraph.

"Units Generated during the game that were not purchased as part of a player’s army list (e.g. Tyranid Tervigons spawning Termagaunts or the Chaos Daemons Portaglyph summoning daemons, or Conjuration Powers) are considered part of the owning player’s army, but not any specific Detachment. This means they do not benefit from any Command Benefits of any of the Detachments included in the army (including Objective Secured)."

In regards to the Tervigon/Termagants, this seems like a really bad interpretation of the rules to me. The Tyranid Rulebook, on page 48, Spawn Termagants, second paragraph reads: "A unit spawned by a Tervigon is identical in every way to a Termagant unit chosen from the Troops section of the army list, an is treated as such for all mission special rules."

They're saying because it says "the army list" and not "the Tyranid detachment" that the spawned gaunts wouldn't count as part of the detachment, and not get OS. My interpretation is that it would count as having purchased gaunts from the same detachment as the Tervigon, and they would have Objective Secured, because they would be "Identical in every way."

Has anyone seen anyone else try to argue this? I've never had anyone interpret it any other way, but here a GT has gone completely against what I think would be the correct interpretation of the rules. Am I just being pedantic to favor my army?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Master Twig posted:

I was just reading the Renegade GT rules about army building, and they have at the bottom this paragraph.

"Units Generated during the game that were not purchased as part of a player’s army list (e.g. Tyranid Tervigons spawning Termagaunts or the Chaos Daemons Portaglyph summoning daemons, or Conjuration Powers) are considered part of the owning player’s army, but not any specific Detachment. This means they do not benefit from any Command Benefits of any of the Detachments included in the army (including Objective Secured)."

In regards to the Tervigon/Termagants, this seems like a really bad interpretation of the rules to me. The Tyranid Rulebook, on page 48, Spawn Termagants, second paragraph reads: "A unit spawned by a Tervigon is identical in every way to a Termagant unit chosen from the Troops section of the army list, an is treated as such for all mission special rules."

They're saying because it says "the army list" and not "the Tyranid detachment" that the spawned gaunts wouldn't count as part of the detachment, and not get OS. My interpretation is that it would count as having purchased gaunts from the same detachment as the Tervigon, and they would have Objective Secured, because they would be "Identical in every way."

Has anyone seen anyone else try to argue this? I've never had anyone interpret it any other way, but here a GT has gone completely against what I think would be the correct interpretation of the rules. Am I just being pedantic to favor my army?

I can't comment on whether or not you're just favouring your own army as I've never read the summoning or conjuration rules. (I don't play deamons, and don't have a copy of the 7th ed rule book.)

To me it seems like this particular tournament organizer must think summoning units onto the board leads to slow playing or something. Maybe he just gets beat by summoning armies all the time? It just seems like an oddly specific and intended to penalize players that want to run horde armies. I've played in very few tournaments, mostly just local shindigs, but I've never encountered anyone who had a problem with this.

Are there any other units that are "created" mid game like this? I can't really think of any.

E: Are there any additional rules for combat squads or guard platoons? Do you have to pick which half of the combat squad, or which unit from the platoon get ObSec?

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 24, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Master Twig posted:

This is actually the standard interpretation that all of the tournaments have been taking. As far as the spawned Termagants go, note that being a Troops choice does not automatically give you the Objective Secured rule- that is part of the Command Benefits of the Combined Arms and Allied detachments. Troops choices from other detachments- such as formations, Wolves of Fenris, Ork Waaaaagh, etc- will not have the Objective Secured rule.

Since Objective Secured (and other Command Benefits) are ONLY given to units that are a part of them- as opposed to all units in your army- it makes perfect sense that summoned/spawned units would not benefit from them. While they come from units that are in a detachment, they themselves are not in any detachment.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=745568565479085&id=401942739841671

"Its an extremely adult universe and an extremely adult hobby."

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Karandras posted:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=745568565479085&id=401942739841671

"Its an extremely adult universe and an extremely adult hobby."

This post made me reach for another drink.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
make a machine that kills all gamers and I'll gladly pull the switch

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Got a team tournament coming up this weekend. Finally got everyone together on the display table.

video courtesy of potato

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Those're some purdy looking armies there! Is that just a banner inside the drop pod? I could see something different in there but hard to tell even on the video. Somehow I expect most videos of those awesome plasma ball creations to have somebody touching it eventually :science:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Pretty awesome army boards there! Apart from the armies themselves and DEM DROP PODS, I love how the boards themselves are integrated with each other on the edges.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Those're some purdy looking armies there! Is that just a banner inside the drop pod? I could see something different in there but hard to tell even on the video. Somehow I expect most videos of those awesome plasma ball creations to have somebody touching it eventually :science:

Yeah, he's got a bunch of Imperial Fist murals inside his command drop pod. Because Lysander likes looking at giant paintings of himself before hitting the ground or something.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

It's not really a "loophole" if it's exactly what the rules intended. Infiltrate lets you bring along your dedicated transport. The Battlewagon is a dedicated transport. That's not really an abuse of the rules in any particular fashion any more than Infiltrate itself is- it lets you do something you otherwise couldn't because of an explicit clause in the rules.

Sure, in a competitive environment I'd do it and follow the letter of the law but in a friendly game with a friend I'd just rather have a good time and avoid being a toilet. The rule is clear but the intention is not. One page says that vehicles shouldn't benefit from the rule, another page says that they can via proxy. As far as I'm concerned that's exactly what a loophole is; avoiding a rule because of a technicality.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Holy poo poo I just realized that the Emperor of Man is a stand-in for King Arthur, Horus is Sir Mordred, and the primarchs of the space marine chapters are the Knights of the Round Table.

I need a drink now.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
In case no one remembers, the army rules in the 3rd Edition rulebook were pretty poo poo. Wave Serpents, for instance, counted as having AV 14 in the front due to the wave shield. I'm not a fan of the stacks upon stacks of special rules in the current game, but the rulebook set had almost none at all. Still, I prefer all-or-nothing over the, what's it called, game of sandwich? Stack hands and whoever is at the top (most recent) wins.

Star Man posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized that the Emperor of Man is a stand-in for King Arthur, Horus is Sir Mordred, and the primarchs of the space marine chapters are the Knights of the Round Table.

I need a drink now.

Squifferific posted:

This post made me reach for another drink.

Uh oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Any more news on dark eldar rules changes ?

Does it look like its going to be along the lines of Grey knights or has there been any indication of major rules changes ?

• Locked thread