Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Evil Within is supposedly 15-20 hours long, from what I've read on game sites, so similar length to Resident Evil 4. I'm happy to hear that, personally; while RE4 is definitely more of an action game than Evil Within, it sounds like that play time should give plenty of chance for the player to explore the locations they're in instead of rushing from one to the next with no going back. One of the best parts of RE4 and RE Remake was exploring the locations you're given, doubling back, figuring out shortcuts, etc.

Typically Mikami's games have a good bit of unlockable content, so I'd expect at least a few goofy costumes, being able to go through a New Game+ with some bonus weapons/ability to carry over your upgrades, maybe a mini-game.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
The PS+ for PS4 formula seems to be debuting indie + previously released PSN game, so I'll guess Secret Ponchos + 1001 Spikes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Even on my second playthrough normal is the highest I'll go with TLOU. The story is fantastic and I really hate high intensity games nowadays so it works out perfectly. It's very fair and rewarding without losing the tense atmosphere surrounding the combat encounters. No way I'm ever touching hard or anything worse!

i played up to pittsburgh on hard and decided that reloading encounters over and over was ruining the story for me.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Peel posted:

The story doesn't change but the context for the story does. I played on medium and found it dissonant in a mildly irritating way, the trip reports from people who played on Hard sound much more appropriate.

Awesome, I'll do a bit more research but looks like I'm leaning towards hard. Thanks!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

echronorian posted:

Starting to come out of my Destiny haze.

Destiny. Haze. :mmmhmm:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is Shadow of Modor supposed to be good? Like do the game makers have a good track record?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is Shadow of Modor supposed to be good? Like do the game makers have a good track record?

it's loving Monolith so yeah

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

rear end Catchcum posted:

It's going to be a fun mix of Assassins' Creed and Batman gameplay. It won't be mind blowing or anything, but it will definitely be a good time if you like those games. My guess is that it will be a good deal better than AC: Unity, which is looking like one of those AC titles you can skip out on until the series has a minor flash of greatness again.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno, the whole enemy ranking/memory system thing seems really loving cool and I don't think there's anything quite like it in another game. Really sounds like it could actually make users experience extremely unique, if they pull it off.

http://youtu.be/uYL0Z7V2JMc

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

echronorian posted:

I dunno, the whole enemy ranking/memory system thing seems really loving cool and I don't think there's anything quite like it in another game. Really sounds like it could actually make users experience extremely unique, if they pull it off.

:eyepop:
This game wasn't anywhere on my radar and now I thinkin' about trading in Destiny for it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That was basically my experience with it today, had no idea until I opened up the thread for it. Seems like it could be a huge sleeper hit. Another fun fact: It's being written/ designed by the guy who wrote/designed Red Dead Redemption.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, you're right. I'm not sure why I thought it was October.

A deep, unyielding hope?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

timeandtide posted:

I would caution everyone against getting hyped for both PS+ games being full retail releases or something, because with DriveClub's release they probably want more focus on that even if it doesn't count for one of the spots. I'd assume it will follow the pattern they've established of new indie game releasing today + old indie game that's been out for 5+ months.

In any case I'd prefer this to say, Killzone & Knack on PS+, launch games never reflect the best games on the system (apart from Resogun I guess....). I think when November/December hits we might well get our first full retail game on PS+, it would have been a year since PS4 was released after all.....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the truth posted:

The listen button is a nice feature and totally fair for someone who is new to the game.

It's fine I just feel like the gameplay was really designed around playing on survivalist. It's cool they added options for people who want to run through it for the story but for me playing on it made the gameplay much better.

I don't even feel like it's that much harder than playing on normal it just makes you think about how you are going to approach encounters more. It's a really well designed hard mode and not just some slog. It doesn't make enemies bullet sponges of anything. It just gives you a fair but limited amount of resources, ups the damage enough that you can't just blast your way through everything and eliminates the ability to see through walls which was kind of unnecessary. The game is designed well enough that you can scope out an area without that.

God bless cheat-o-vision in multiplayer though it's amazing.

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Rocksmith 2014 coming to PS4/Xbone.

Know if they'll be able to deal with the input lag?
On PS3, it was almost unplayable on HDMI, as it introduced too much delay between the sounds you heard, and when you were required to play. Instead they recommended using RCA instead.

I suspect it's an unsolveable problem, but I'd be interested if they've found a way of addressing this for PS4, since you have to use HDMI.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

I, Butthole posted:

it's loving Monolith so yeah

A complete list of good games developed by monolith since being acquired by Warner Brothers a decade ago:

FEAR

And Condemned was almost a good game

Edit - and now that I look at, FEAR was well into its development by the time Monolith was acquired by WB.

Edit 2 - Dont get me wrong, I am also looking forward to Shadows of Mordor but its not exactly a slam dunk with Monolith developing. They have taken a pretty steep nose dive since the No One Lives Forever Days. One of their last games was a Call of Duty ripoff based on DC heroes for fucks sake

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 24, 2014

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

It's fine I just feel like the gameplay was really designed around playing on survivalist. It's cool they added options for people who want to run through it for the story but for me playing on it made the gameplay much better.

I don't even feel like it's that much harder than playing on normal it just makes you think about how you are going to approach encounters more. It's a really well designed hard mode and not just some slog. It doesn't make enemies bullet sponges of anything. It just gives you a fair but limited amount of resources, ups the damage enough that you can't just blast your way through everything and eliminates the ability to see through walls which was kind of unnecessary. The game is designed well enough that you can scope out an area without that.

God bless cheat-o-vision in multiplayer though it's amazing.

Does hard still do the thing where if you keep dying at the same part the game starts to give you more ammo/health every time you restart?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I'm loving pumped for Shadow of Mordor and think it deserves a little more exposure. Monolith has been out there showing off a poo poo-ton of gameplay videos and talking about this game a whole lot, but it still seems to be under most people's radar. So I'm dropping a few videos here to get some more eyes on it. Feel free to drop by the game thread.

Here's 30 Minutes that offers a narrated game overview. The main systems are explained, and there's lots of fun, violent gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOEpqqdby8I

And an IGN Gamescom interview + gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxH3O89b46k

There's a ton more videos out there. Go check it out!

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

TotalHell posted:

I'm loving pumped for Shadow of Mordor and think it deserves a little more exposure. Monolith has been out there showing off a poo poo-ton of gameplay videos and talking about this game a whole lot, but it still seems to be under most people's radar. So I'm dropping a few videos here to get some more eyes on it. Feel free to drop by the game thread.

Here's 30 Minutes that offers a narrated game overview. The main systems are explained, and there's lots of fun, violent gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOEpqqdby8I

And an IGN Gamescom interview + gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxH3O89b46k

There's a ton more videos out there. Go check it out!

An RPG type game with the mechanics of rear end Creed excites me quite a lot. I am gonna watch these videoson my lunch break

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Real hurthling! posted:

i played up to pittsburgh on hard and decided that reloading encounters over and over was ruining the story for me.

Maybe I'm getting old. If a game starts punishing me at all I check the gently caress out. If I wanted a struggle I'd stop playing video games and actually focus on real life.

Rad that Shadows of Mordor is coming up here, I was thinking of posting about it today. There's a thread but it seems very pc oriented and I have zero interest in bug/hardware/gamepad discussion. At this point the gameplay footage looks fantastic, I'm still surprised by the game. The level of polish stands out to me for being a fairly low key game. Hopefully it's good and gathers a lot of post release attention.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

echronorian posted:

drat. That looks pretty fun.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Spanrah posted:

Know if they'll be able to deal with the input lag?
On PS3, it was almost unplayable on HDMI, as it introduced too much delay between the sounds you heard, and when you were required to play. Instead they recommended using RCA instead.

I suspect it's an unsolveable problem, but I'd be interested if they've found a way of addressing this for PS4, since you have to use HDMI.

I'm probably missing something, but I play Rocksmith 2014 on PC, and it goes to the monitor on HDMI without any noticeable delay, so maybe it's something that could be worked around with the new technology.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm still a little wary about Shadow of Mordor because what they talk about sounds a little too ambitious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

A complete list of good games developed by monolith since being acquired by Warner Brothers a decade ago:

FEAR

And Condemned was almost a good game

Edit - and now that I look at, FEAR was well into its development by the time Monolith was acquired by WB.

Edit 2 - Dont get me wrong, I am also looking forward to Shadows of Mordor but its not exactly a slam dunk with Monolith developing. They have taken a pretty steep nose dive since the No One Lives Forever Days. One of their last games was a Call of Duty ripoff based on DC heroes for fucks sake

Impostors is a Team Fortress rip-off and it's also a great game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
PSNow question, does FFXIII-2 on PS Now come with DLC or not? It's kind of unclear. There's an "ultimate edition" with a weird "not for purchase" notification.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
If you like the look of Shadow of Mordor we have thread for it (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601765) with loads more videos and hardly any lorechat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RagnarokAngel posted:

PSNow question, does FFXIII-2 on PS Now come with DLC or not? It's kind of unclear. There's an "ultimate edition" with a weird "not for purchase" notification.
AFIAK they never bundled it with DLC in either a retail or digital release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I'm still a little wary about Shadow of Mordor because what they talk about sounds a little too ambitious.

It really isn't. I've played it and it works exactly how they say. It's very 'video gamey' but it works.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. I've played it and it works exactly how they say. It's very 'video gamey' but it works.

It seems like potentially a really fun system. Everything about it looks like "Batman Arkham and/or Assassin's Creed in Middle-Earth" except for the Nemesis system, but honestly, if that works as advertised I'm basically sold on the game.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

It seems like potentially a really fun system. Everything about it looks like "Batman Arkham and/or Assassin's Creed in Middle-Earth" except for the Nemesis system, but honestly, if that works as advertised I'm basically sold on the game.

It also seems to have a pretty robust RPG progression system which I am pretty excited about. rear end Creed didnt have one at all and the Arkham games sorta had one. I dont know much about the one Shadow, but I hope its pretty cool.

Aphrodite posted:

Impostors is a Team Fortress rip-off and it's also a great game.

You could argue that its more of a TF ripoff than a CoD ripoff, but it is in no way a great game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new Assassin's Creed actually does have an RPG progression system this time.

(Also nuh uh, great.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harrow posted:

The Batman comparison is pretty apt if the rumor I heard is true. Basically the rumor was that Shadow of Mordor originally started development as a Batman game with ties to the Christopher Nolan movies.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why the hell isn't Gauntlet coming out for consoles??

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The new Assassin's Creed actually does have an RPG progression system this time.

(Also nuh uh, great.)

New rear end Creed having an RPG system is cool as heck. I didnt know that. I have been avoiding info about that game because I dont want to get so excited about it that I buy it at launch because I buy every rear end Creed at launch and I end up being disappointed about half of the time. So I will wait for impressions to start coming out about it and then maybe pick it up later.

I also think that I would have enjoyed Imposters more if:

1. It would have cost 15 dollars OR been F2P, rather than having an up front cost and then a terrible grind that can be mitigated by spending actual money

2. There werent so many other games just like it that do the stuff that it does better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

New rear end Creed having an RPG system is cool as heck. I didnt know that. I have been avoiding info about that game because I dont want to get so excited about it that I buy it at launch because I buy every rear end Creed at launch and I end up being disappointed about half of the time. So I will wait for impressions to start coming out about it and then maybe pick it up later.

The new AC game is being treated with the usual "ho hum another rear end Creed snore" but I'm not sure it necessarily deserves that this time. The changes to the traversal system seem pretty minor, but all in all it looks like Unity is a huge change to how AC has been since, well, 2. If the marketing is to be believed (hahaha I know it's Ubisoft), the assassination missions are going back to the way they were in AC1 (do research ahead of time, multiple paths and ways of assassinating someone instead of one set route). There's an RPG progression system--one of the examples they give is that you can learn how to pick locks, for example, so I imagine the path you take through the skill tree will determine how you go about your assassination missions. The combat is supposed to be more involved, too, and I really hope they deliver on that because it was easy as hell in AC4.

Basically, I'm optimistic. It helps that I've wanted a French Revolution AC game for a long time now.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Harrow posted:

The new AC game is being treated with the usual "ho hum another rear end Creed snore" but I'm not sure it necessarily deserves that this time. The changes to the traversal system seem pretty minor, but all in all it looks like Unity is a huge change to how AC has been since, well, 2. If the marketing is to be believed (hahaha I know it's Ubisoft), the assassination missions are going back to the way they were in AC1 (do research ahead of time, multiple paths and ways of assassinating someone instead of one set route). There's an RPG progression system--one of the examples they give is that you can learn how to pick locks, for example, so I imagine the path you take through the skill tree will determine how you go about your assassination missions. The combat is supposed to be more involved, too, and I really hope they deliver on that because it was easy as hell in AC4.

Basically, I'm optimistic. It helps that I've wanted a French Revolution AC game for a long time now.

I feel pretty much the same way, but then again I'm just ready for a new AC, I've only played 3 of them (1, 2, 4) and after 4 I'm ready for less open seas and more large cities.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

muscles like this? posted:

The Batman comparison is pretty apt if the rumor I heard is true. Basically the rumor was that Shadow of Mordor originally started development as a Batman game with ties to the Christopher Nolan movies.

That makes the Nemesis System make a lot more sense. Why wouldn't you just loving kill all the enemies? Because you're Batman. Also them ranking up and stuff makes sense when applied to the mob. I almost feel like I remember reading something about this being in the works as a Batman game at some point.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Shadows of Mordor looks really interesting but graphically doesn't look too hot. Starting to really be annoyed by the "we're primarily focused on next-gen and PC" line from developers. It's never the case.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

An RPG progression system makes me less interested in the new AC. It's not an RPG, I want to approach each problem with the tools available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Being the seventh AC game makes me less interested in the new AC.

• Locked thread