Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

ponzicar posted:

One where 99% of the zombies get destroyed and all the valuables get looted in the first few days, and the rest of the game consists of subsistence farming.

That would seem to depend on a lot of people remaining.
If it starts out as a highly infectious plague, we'd probably not notice anything but a bit of nausea and fainting before people start rising from the graves.
And while there's always going to be that one idiot who ignores the cans of beans in favor for heavy and ultimately useless gold, the only time it makes sense to loot 'valuables' (at least things of non-practical value), is if you can sell them elsewhere.
Even then, you need to carry it, and the stores probably have more zombies than your base, and there's a limit to what you need.

There's a game out there called 'Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead', you might have heard of it.
That game has a VERY reduced item-per-building count, and yet you'd generally not want to take everything with you; You only need one pot, maybe a spare in case the first one melts, a couple of weapons, maybe some guns and ammo, and the occasional roll of cloth.
Everything else, like the dozen bottles of booze, the countless shoes, and potentially even some of the less 'tasty' food, is going to be left behind.
And that's gamers doing the looting, people known for packrat tendencies - you know, the whole 'Take everything that isn't nailed down, bring a hammer to remove the nails from anything that is'?
Ordinary people will be going 'Oh god, a zombie! Gotta get food! Zombies are after me! Food, got, yes! I'm outta here!' and just get what they can grab on the way through the store/house.

I prefer zombie games (and stories) that rely on zombies as being a force that 'outnumbers' the humans while having inferior weapons, technology, and strategy.
If you try to realistically portray teenagers, it just ends up being a 'locked room' drama, you need some proper soldiers or soldier-like people in there - if not necessarily someone who kills people for a living, then at least someone who refuses to sit around and wait (and has the skills to back up the attitude)
It's fun/feel-good-esque to watch small but superior groups win against larger but inferior ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aerion111 posted:

Everything else, like the dozen bottles of booze, the countless shoes, and potentially even some of the less 'tasty' food, is going to be left behind.

If that's how you play cataclysm we might have to have words.

The correct way to play cataclysm is to drink all the booze, and then when you can't drink any more, light it on fire and throw it indiscriminately. Then go find some drugs and shoot up, and die in a drug and alcohol fuelled orgy of violence as you get absolutely wrecked on crystal meth and hit zombies with a weed whacker while hallucinating about your zombie mom.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's no bug, just true Army realism
There's a reason I never said it was a bug.

:patriot:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ponzicar posted:

I'd like to see a hyper realistic zombie game. One where 99% of the zombies get destroyed and all the valuables get looted in the first few days, and the rest of the game consists of subsistence farming.

On second thought, let's stick with the katanas and lawnmowers.

The hell? :colbert:

Zombie Harvest Moon sounds fantastic.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

YO

Don't say I never gave you nothin

It's not quite done processing, but I thought I'd post it now while I have the chance rather than hours and hours from now.

Once you've watched, you may feel the need to express your opinion about HOME SITES! In fact, I encourage it. Please discuss home sites and stuff. There's a bunch of stuff to take into consideration- remember what's interesting in an LP may not be the same as what you'd want to do for yourself. :3:

Oh, spoiler from the video: The survivors we lost were Sam and Caden (Caden was our cook AND mechanic)

Here's a lil' map:

And this links to a handy comparison chart from the State of Decay wiki:

Click here for the full 1039x872 image

And some diagrams of the home sites: (outpost icons won't apply of course)

And um, this one, hehhehheh

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

I would exclude the McReady Farmhouse because as mentioned in-game, it's so remote that foraging will take awhile. Plus while you can have 6 outposts, there's really nothing you can set up to prevent from hordes getting too close (aside from a barn across the road.)

Kirkman is also out because while there's a decent number of spaces to build stuff, it's just down the hill from the church and chances are that you already picked that region clean of supplies.

So that leaves Savini Residence, The Alamo and Snyder Trucking Warehouse. I never used the Alamo in my playthrough because by the time I moved, I had way too many people to make that viable. I first went to Savini, used the built-in library to research stuff and then finally moved to Snyder for the rest of the game. Snyder just has a ton of space and outposts to offer that you can't pass it up.

Of course, the problem with Snyder is that you need 12 people to use it.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009
I say go for the farmhouse. It's one I've never used myself in any playthrough because as mentioned it's a bit out in the wilds, but that means a more interesting playthrough since there'll be fewer ways to completely block your house off from any possible zombie incursion.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Hey, I know katana chat is over but I just saw this and I had to share it. http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/b962712.pdf
In 1946, The US had a Metallurgist at Watertown arsenal laboratories examine a Samurai sword. He was not impressed.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

~Remember the tree fort~

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I find that the Snyder Trucking Warehouse is the best possible location to set up the home base, but for the sake of the LP we should try one or two sites first just to show 'em off before moving into the Warehouse.
I'm tempted to go for the Farmhouse as our next home site to show it off, but I don't know if foraging is going to be too much of a pain. :shobon:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The Kirkman residence is too close to the church base, as mentioned. The farmhouse is so out in the middle of nowhere that it'd be tedious to travel to and from it. The Alamo is just too small. The Savini residence is okay, but Snyder is the obvious choice; it's an amazing base.

Edit: Twelve people isn't that hard to get in my experience... but then I've never had Pastor Will turn like that and take people with him, admittedly.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 25, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
For sake of the LP, I say go to the Alamo first. It's nicely located (in an area we haven't already mined out), looks cool, and won't require any grinding for new survivors like Snyder's. Also, once we go to Snyder's, there's no reason to ever change, so this is a good intermediate stop.

Edit: Outpost/Upgrade suggestions
2 outposts as defensive positions (plenty of area if you enlarge them), then the other two as Construction outposts in scattered locations for easy stash access.
Upgrades: Build sleeping area/medical area/workshop, then upgrade.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 25, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Piell posted:

For sake of the LP, I say go to the Alamo first. It's nicely located (in an area we haven't already mined out), looks cool, and won't require any grinding for new survivors like Snyder's. Also, once we go to Snyder's, there's no reason to ever change, so this is a good intermediate stop.

Yeah, sounds good. Head to the Alamo until our apocalyptic family grows enough for the warehouse.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Antistar01 posted:

Edit: Twelve people isn't that hard to get in my experience... but then I've never had Pastor Will turn like that and take people with him, admittedly.

We are having a little trouble recruiting folks because of the playing pace, we discover enclaves but then they collapse before we can befriend them. If we want new folks I'm probably gonna have to use the radio call and hope we get the "strays lookin to join" response vs the "found an enclave" one.

Edit: I know it'll rely on where we move to, but a general idea of how to approach outposts and adding facilities is somethin we need, too!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

Edit: I know it'll rely on where we move to, but a general idea of how to approach outposts and adding facilities is somethin we need, too!
My suggestion is to keep one outpost in Spencer's Mill and one somewhere in Marshall so that regardless of where the new Home Site is you always have a place where you can access the stash.
As for the others, depending on where the site is, have one or two outposts blocking the closest intersections leading to the base so that hordes will have a hard time reaching it.
Ideally the supplies you would want to build outposts for are Ammo, Food and possibly Medicines: Gasoline is pretty easy to stockpile and it's not used by a lot of stuff, while Construction Materials are a resource that you want to use as soon as you can and not stockpile it.
And nice job showing off why you would want to keep Alan around. :D

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Why in the hell would you build a food outpost? Food is everywhere. Construction/Ammo/Medicine are the ones I'd go for.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 25, 2014

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I almost forgot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bt4Ly9_9Qg

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Piell posted:

Why in the hell would you build a food outpost? Food is everywhere. Construction/Ammo/Medicine are the ones I'd go for.
I never found Construction Mats outposts that useful, frankly: I tend to just use them whenever I have them, and once I built all the necessary base structures I find that it's just a resource that keeps getting drained for no visible benefit (while outposts consume Mats, I don't think running out affect them at all). :shobon:
Food is admittedly not as important as Ammo and Medicine, but it is still a resource that is both consumed and needed for the continued survival of your merry band, so I find that having a few outposts to alleviate food consumption doesn't make me worry too much about that resource. Priority should definitely be on Ammo, since it's the one resource that seems to always be in short supply.

It could also be that I always try to beeline for the Snyder Warehouse and the two buildings that I use as chokepoints against the hordes seem to always have Food as their main resource. :v:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 25, 2014

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I'm also going to vote for the Alamo then Snyder's method, it seems logical, and their close to each other

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Piell posted:

Yea, construction materials are a premium resource. Especially since some of the later construction projects cost 50 materials or so to upgrade. And you loose all your previously built constructions and don't get any of that back when you move. When I was in Snider, my bottleneck was always construction materials. I had 7 construction outposts and 1 ammo just so I wouldn't run out of them. Food, Medicine, Fuel was always maxed out the entire time I played. Maybe I just had bad Construction/Ammo spawns in my playthrough?

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Noooo, Sam! Dead, dead, and never told us about your big dick!

Not a spoiler, as we won't see it, but Sam has a unique mission that adds a little bit more character building that you didn't get to see.

Did we also miss out on the memorial services for those who died?

In terms of homes - I really like the Snyder Warehouse, but it takes a lot of effort to move there straight off and it eats through Construction resources really fast in maintenance costs. (fullTimeLurker, that's probably what caused your issues.) Alamo is a bad idea - it's a pretty lethal area. Personally I'd say go for Tree Fort until the last home site opens up.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I noticed something interesting when I was playing earlier.

When you go into the ranger station with Maya and Ed at the beginning, the game sets the survivor count in the shelter to 4.

I think dead dad Ritter is still counting as an NPC for that period.

edit: Yep, hitting him pops up Thomas has Died and I couldn't see if it went from 4 to 3.

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011
Timecode 10:00 - The crashed airliner is Goodweather Air, with a designation of GDT-EPH. Anyone having read Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's "The Strain" (or currently watching it on FX) should catch the reference.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Snyder.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I'm voting Alamo. That Savini place is nice but who wouldn't want to live in a restaurant? And maybe someday we'll move again.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm gonna have to put my vote in for Alamo. I really like the look of the place, plus it's well located and cozy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Alamo will be fine if you make some buffer zones with your outposts.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The Alamo must not fall twice.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

skoolmunkee posted:

We are having a little trouble recruiting folks because of the playing pace, we discover enclaves but then they collapse before we can befriend them. If we want new folks I'm probably gonna have to use the radio call and hope we get the "strays lookin to join" response vs the "found an enclave" one.

Since you put it that way, going with the Alamo first could be interesting; I've never used it. Snyder second though, once we're able; it's so good.

With the way I've played the game, outposts weren't really important, so I don't really know the ~pro strats~... sounds like building defensively is a good idea though.

For facilities; medical, workshop and sleeping area because they're near essential and that's all there's room for.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

Since you put it that way, going with the Alamo first could be interesting; I've never used it. Snyder second though, once we're able; it's so good.

I support this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Plum Island produce is most likely a reference to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_Island_Animal_Disease_Center

It's where they built the Montauk Monster. It's also creepy as hell. And FOR SALE! (THe island, not the monster.)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 26, 2014

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

oh and for my vote: Alamo first since you keep getting people killed off

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Treeeeeeeeeeee Fooooooooooooooort is clearly where we should go.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

It's not a zombie movie, but the first thing I think of re. Plum Island is Silence of the Lambs.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

It looks like the cultural demand to remember the Alamo is winning out over Jacob's rather lame request to remember treeeee fooooooort.... but keep votin, we probably won't be able to move til the update after next (gotta do some prep and mission cleanup.)

Tuxedo Ted posted:

~Remember the tree fort~

:3:

I did a lil' lookup and Suspect Bucket is right, Plum Island is named after that real place, but then there's another part! Apparently the very stupid Romero movie Survival of the Dead takes place on that island too. So many Romero. Everywhere Romero. where romero? everywhere. everywheremero

To answer someone's question from earlier, yeah we've probably missed Sam and William's memorial comments. Those cutscenes trigger when we walk into the church, and Ed was in the church afterward and it didn't happen. It's possible that it only triggers if you go in the FRONT door though, so maybe it'll happen when I do a lil more recording today.

And as mentioned, we also miss out on a mission because of the character who died. Earlier Sam had a conversation with the pastor about working in a soup kitchen. Turns out Sam is concerned about a soup kitchen regular named Andy Pimms, and you can go with her to try and find him and see if he's OK. He's been turned into a zombie and you smash his face in, but he's got a unique model. Interestingly, in Breakdown you can get him as a character and he comes with a full 7 wits- so the zombies must have caught him sleepin. :v:

SoylentG posted:

Timecode 10:00 - The crashed airliner is Goodweather Air, with a designation of GDT-EPH. Anyone having read Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's "The Strain" (or currently watching it on FX) should catch the reference.

Ah! That's one I didn't have any idea about. Cool, thank you! :3: I should read that, I love Guillermo's projects.

Piell posted:

It hasn't been highlighted specifically in the videos, but one thing that is an intentional problem in the game is it's impossible to keep twinkies on hand. They're super useful because of the stamina regeneration boost, especially if you're determined to grind your guys a little for cardio levels- but every time you turn the game off, apparently the characters get super hungry and eat almost ALL of them. Like you can have 50 twinkies and next time you play they're all gone. (Sometimes then they complain they don't have enough food even if stockpiles are full.) SOOOOOO sometimes people build gardens or have food outposts because they break open every food resource they find for those sweet, sweet cakes.

We're not to worried about twinkie-centric playstyles in this LP tho.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

skoolmunkee posted:

It hasn't been highlighted specifically in the videos, but one thing that is an intentional problem in the game is it's impossible to keep twinkies on hand. They're super useful because of the stamina regeneration boost, especially if you're determined to grind your guys a little for cardio levels- but every time you turn the game off, apparently the characters get super hungry and eat almost ALL of them. Like you can have 50 twinkies and next time you play they're all gone. (Sometimes then they complain they don't have enough food even if stockpiles are full.) SOOOOOO sometimes people build gardens or have food outposts because they break open every food resource they find for those sweet, sweet cakes.

We're not to worried about twinkie-centric playstyles in this LP tho.

That's fixed now, isn't it? I thought it had been patched though I guess maybe one of the mods I'm using did it without my realising. I have about 400 snacks in my fridge now.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Voyeur posted:

That's fixed now, isn't it? I thought it had been patched though I guess maybe one of the mods I'm using did it without my realising. I have about 400 snacks in my fridge now.

Yeah, it was actually fixed this time. I have several full stacks in my breakdown game sitting in the locker.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tree forts!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Yeah, it was actually fixed this time. I have several full stacks in my breakdown game sitting in the locker.

Oh, fantastic! I remember they said it was fixed and it wasn't, and then they said it was intentional.

Gonna twinkie binge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

skoolmunkee posted:

Oh, fantastic! I remember they said it was fixed and it wasn't, and then they said it was intentional.

Gonna twinkie binge

I think it was 'fixed' in at least three patches too.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNaXdLWt17A&t=24s

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 26, 2014

• Locked thread