Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Oof, that's one of the worst ratings hits i've ever seen for Conway. Probably a career ender there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
:ughh: I really hate playing in Tacoma. I doubt this is the first time I lost despite throwing a combined one-hitter there, either.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
34-12 against not-Philly

0-5 against Philly, by losses of 1, 2, 1, 1 and 1 runs

baseball

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
You know I really thought my team was going to be not-garbage this season

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
My team is way better than I thought it would be this season, we're 2nd in the division for gently caress's sake

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

gardenald posted:

You know I really thought my team was going to be not-garbage this season

They didn't know how to go from pretending to try to win to actually winning so quick. You'd have been right if that 'not' was a 'hot' though...

uublog posted:

:ughh: I really hate playing in Tacoma. I doubt this is the first time I lost despite throwing a combined one-hitter there, either.

Btw that was immediately followed by 10 runs on 19 hits. Still in Tacoma. Because why not.

uublog fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 22, 2014

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Yeah I guess I should have eased them out of being the Astros instead of just trying to jump into contention like that. Poor guys, they don't know what to think anymore.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

MOOSE SELLERS INJURED

for 3 days

I almost just had a heart attack

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Draft is in two days as a reminder to those who barely look at prospects until the last day (me)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Eddie Liverman hit his second grand slam of the season off me today, which I believe is more than he hit in his entire career on my team.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I hate this lousy bunch of bums.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Say what again?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
OK, clearly I can't participate in this league unless I'm posting in these threads, so I'm gonna have to torture my poor new computer by coming back

How does the draft go? Are we all going to be sitting around our computers or what?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
You rank the prospects and it goes through and autodrafts everything sometime overnight.

You can assign a formula that goes through and readjust rankings by the stats priorities you give it. I think most people use that then go through and manually adjust players in the first round or two.

The draft honestly kind of sucks in this game. All the best projected players usually turn out really well and no one below like the 3rd round will generally see the majors.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
ok, thanks

also, if a dude's projected durability/health are 78/59, is it worth drafting him?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
He will probably have a few major injuries at some point but maybe not. Health that low is a sizable risk for sure.

Durability depends a bit on the position. You can get away with lower durability at the less important fielding positions.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
More often than not, for me anyway, it means the smaller injuries pop up a bit more. A couple more DL trips. I don't think it significantly raises a career-ending injury risk but I live in the $20M medical bubble

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Goetta posted:

You rank the prospects and it goes through and autodrafts everything sometime overnight.

You can assign a formula that goes through and readjust rankings by the stats priorities you give it. I think most people use that then go through and manually adjust players in the first round or two.

The draft honestly kind of sucks in this game. All the best projected players usually turn out really well and no one below like the 3rd round will generally see the majors.

My best reliever from the past few years (although not right now), Marty Jordan, is an 8th round pick :v:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

My best reliever from the past few years (although not right now), Marty Jordan, is an 8th round pick :v:

he's also a DITR and he's also made of glass

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

nasboat posted:

piss

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

70 name tool right here

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

nasboat posted:

KNOCK ON WOOD he hasn't had an injury since he's been with me KNOCK ON WOOD

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Now I am thinking about the game in general and think these would be cool changes:

1) Have a certain percentage of projected players completely bust. Good scouting would help determine if the prospect was a risk but sometimes you wouldn't know. This would suck if it happened to you obviously but rebuilding shouldn't be just about making GBS threads your pants to get at top 5 pick.

2) Rework DITR so it less stupid and allow for projections to increase for players in the minors in general. Make it the opposite of a bust system, where good scouting can maybe find projects later in the draft. Maybe make a bit of this self-fulfilling, where if the guy hits all his dice rolls and statistically outperforms what he should have maybe he is actually good? Obviously you would have to be careful with this in the context of those 0% minor league pitchers and whatnot.

3) It is too easy to have perfect scouting. Make scouting projections more varied in general. Instead of a scout budget, hire scouts like coaches are hired (after the awful coach hiring system is fixed). How much would you pay for a scout that has the best chance of telling you your top pick loves to smoke crack? LET THE MARKET DECIDE RON PAUL

4) Make a large (larger?) chunk of development include ML playing time. Players shouldn't always be immediately great coming from AAA but should need a few years of playing time to reach their potential. This would make contending clubs choose between playing a higher upside guy or a higher current rating guy. This would benefit rebuilding clubs and hopefully create some sort of middle class between BUY and SELL clubs. It would also make the arb years system feel closer to reality.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 25, 2014

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Changes to be considered for implementation by 2018

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Changes to be considered for implementation by 2018 3018

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

draft time. DRAFT TIME

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

draft time. DRAFT TIME

Here's a really super late draft preview because I came home early from work sick!

Starting pitchers

1) Rob Romero (86) - Elite hurler with somewhat low durability and weird pitch ratings. His stamina is high enough though that he'll still pitch a good number of innings. Has a near max P1 and a near min P4, weird.

2) Jerry Stubbs (84) - A lower stamina starting pitcher that's just plain good all around. Only real knocks on him (besides stamina) are his lowish GB rating and velocity. P4 is nothing to write home about but eh.

3) Yuniesky Pimentel (80) - A low velocity starter with no real weaknesses. His highs aren't going to be as high as Romero or Stubbs but all 32 franchises should want this guy on their team.

4) Kareem Hitchcock (73) - Would be rated much higher but his durability is going to top out in the teens. He should still pitch plenty of effective innings if you massage him around your rotation properly. Velocity and P2 are his only big ratings knocks.

5) Shane Warner (73) - A lefty that's an absolute hoss as far as stamina/durability goes. Unfortunately he's not actually very good at pitching.

Relief pitchers

1) James Chen (79) - Feels like a while since we've had a reliever rated this high on the default boards. He's a lefty that can pitch a ton of innings and while he's not super elite he's pretty darn good with no major weaknesses.

2) Cecil Alexander (73) - Another lefty. Won't pitch quite as much as Chen and won't pitch quite as well. He's not terrible or anything though; he'll bounce around teams in the majors for a while I suspect.

3) Vasco Vizcaino (71) - Superb name tool. A lefty with suspect durability for a reliever but he should be pretty good in the innings he does pitch. I love relievers with top tier P1s.

4) Mark Shin (70) - Another lefty with durability problems. Right split isn't as good as Vizcaino but they have a fairly similar profile. Better hope he maxes out his projections on that right split if he wants to have good success.

Catcher/DH

1) Addison Ibanez (71) - A catcher who hits lefty (I love those). Defensive profile is enough to play C in the bigs but with his lowish durability and mediocre pitch calling he's probably better suited at DH. He should absolutely mash the hell out of right handed pitching, and he will likely get hurt a lot.

2) Robinson Lewis (70) - Basically the opposite of Ibanez. He's a stud defensive catcher with just barely enough hitting skills to succeed in the bigs. Has a reverse split so he actually hits RHP better.

3) Joshua Mayne (67) - Listed as a DH on my board; his pitch calling sucks. He has a definite strong bat though, especially against LHP.

4) Paul Monroe (67) - Pretty similar to Mayne but with less power and more on base skill. He'll be a long time bench bat for teams.

First Base/DH

1) No one worth a poo poo is actually listed here

Second Base

1) Carlos Guzman (74) - Not much power here but kid's got wheels. He can play a competent 2B and will probably hold a decent batting average with his speed, contact, and BUNTING.

2) Tom Hendrickson (74) - Fairly elite glove for the position, a lot of durability so he can play every day, and can't hit for poo poo. He does have very good speed and baserunning for what few times he gets on base.

3) Junior Megias (73) - He profiles more as a lovely 3B to me defensively so I don't know why my scouts have him here. He's really nothing special and can only hit decently enough against lefties.

Third Base

1) Nate Quantrill (74) - Defensively he profiles more as a COF to me. He's a switch hitter with a ton of power so that's always good. Wish his splits were reversed but with his power and eye he'll get some playing time.

2) Jose Accardo (70) - A near max power guy who doesn't have much else going for him with the bat. He's another COF guy ultimately too.

Shortstop

1) Tiny Pratt (83) - A real speed racer with enough bat to get by at shortstop. Don't know if his range is quite there though and if he can't play short then he's another Eddie Liverman type (with slightly better defense). Actually he'll be better than Eddie because Eddie is slow as hell but my point still stands.

2) Neil Haynes (79) - Can't play short, can barely play good 3B, can't hit for poo poo, lots of speed without the baserunning to back it up, yep, this is a davewillie guy.

3) Jack Williams (72) - He might not win any gold gloves but he's got it going on with his SS defense. Also hits lefty with some pop so that's a plus. Contact is near negative and he's a middling runner but what do you expect from a good shortstop?

4) Vinny Radinsky (71) - A real monster on the field. He's a human vacuum cleaner with a cannon arm. He can also take a good amount of walks but don't expect too much else with the bat.

Left Field

1) Neil Walker (71) - There's no one really good here and I only profiled Walker because his OVR is 70+. Not enough power for COF and nothing else special here.

Center Field

1) Pablo Rijo (78) - A range monster without the glove to back it up. He's got a ton of speed and baserunning but you might have to sit him against LHP. He'll be a major league contributor until his speed starts to fade.

Right Field

1) Harvey Grant (71) - With 6/99/90 contact/power/eye Harvey is a True Burrellballer. He also has really good baserunning skills to go with his slow as hell speed.

Top 5

As you can see this draft starts out pretty good and falls off in a real hurry; at least on my board.

1) Rob Romero
2) Jerry Stubbs
3) Yuniesky Pimentel
There is some real pitching talent at the top. I almost flip-flopped Stubbs and Pimentel because of Stubbs's lower stamina.
4) James Chen
He's a good reliever and while those aren't rare they're nice to have
5) Addison Ibanez
I don't like a lot of the position prospects for one reason or another. Even if Ibanez can't play much catcher he can rake in the AL.

That's it! Draft will sim any time now! Are you awake?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

With Vasco Vizcaino, Garin Saltalamacchia, and Dante Cassevah I think the Snowbirds win the Name Tool Draft.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

High School players went at 2 & 7 that my guys didn't even see. Why am I paying these fuckers again?

e: Pimentel at 11 seems like a steal for Terp depending on what all the unscouted guys ahead of him look like.

e2: Chen at 22 is :whoa: My settings must have been weirdly conservative because I had him ahead of Vizcaino. I guess that's what happens when you do draft prep an hour before the cycle.

e3: Rijo at 30 is pretty nuts too. Way to go gardenald.

Devo fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 25, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

WE GOT ROMERO at #3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Devo posted:

e2: Chen at 22 is :whoa: My settings must have been weirdly conservative because I had him ahead of Vizcaino. I guess that's what happens when you do draft prep an hour before the cycle.

I liked chen just fine but i'm pretty ecstatic to have Guerrero at #21. did you miss him or just not like him for some reason I can't divine? i had him ahead of Pimintel even.

edit: obviously i got him at #21, i said 3 because he was Third on my board shut up

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 25, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Nerokerubina posted:

I liked chen just fine but i'm pretty ecstatic to have Guerrero at #21. did you miss him or just not like him for some reason I can't divine? i had him ahead of Pimintel even.

edit: obviously i got him at #21, i said 3 because he was Third on my board shut up

I hate guys with both low velocity and low GB rating. One or the other is fine, but both is blech. Personal bias.

e: also I think your scouting is wrong on Pimentel/Guerrero or both because I looked again and there's basically nothing Pimentel isn't better at.

Devo fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 25, 2014

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

who gives a hell about some stupid draft when this happened

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Devo posted:

e: also I think your scouting is wrong on Pimentel/Guerrero or both because I looked again and there's basically nothing Pimentel isn't better at.

not unlikely! But it's a moot point anyway because it's not like Pimentel was available and i'd certainly rather have Guerrero than Chen I think

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

My scouting has Romero's projected* stats at vR 99, 90 velocity, 95 control, and 100 Pitch 1, so I think his irl comp is like white satchel paige back when he was throwing his fastball and nothing else

*never going to reach them lol

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Romero is complete ownage other than his weird P2-P4 ratings but I think you done good nonetheless

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I didn't see Ellis Zornes at all, somebody should post a screenshot of the exciting new #1 pick

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I only had $8M College Scouting fwiw but those are pretty good starting points for a 19 year old

The health gives me pause though

e: Not much pause, you understand

gardenald fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 25, 2014

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

My favorite part of this draft is that my scouts saw Tiny Pratt as a catcher. Guess they just assumed he was Todd.

Devo posted:

One or the other is fine, but both is blech. Personal bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I was one pick away from Pimental, loving poo poo

• Locked thread