Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sorry, let me amend that, if you really want to you can build a sniper energy boat mech around it since coolshot can make the difference between overheating and getting an extra alpha or two off that will kill your target. Except whoops now there's still a bunch more left and you're out of coolshots :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pay-per-use consumables are dumb, even when you can pay for them with game currency. I want to use my cbills on shiny new mechs, not a stupid money sink.

e: Like I don't see the issue in just having consumables balanced around the fact they have limited use, without having to attach a per-use price.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Oxyclean posted:

Pay-per-use consumables are dumb, even when you can pay for them with game currency. I want to use my cbills on shiny new mechs, not a stupid money sink.

e: Like I don't see the issue in just having consumables balanced around the fact they have limited use, without having to attach a per-use price.

If it was, like, 500k for a cool shot and you could use it once or twice per match (call it coolant flushing), then maybe I'd consider it. But gently caress using actual consumables when new mechs cost so much compared to what you earn per match.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

WarLocke posted:

If it was, like, 500k for a cool shot and you could use it once or twice per match (call it coolant flushing), then maybe I'd consider it. But gently caress using actual consumables when new mechs cost so much compared to what you earn per match.

I use coolshots on a select few builds now that I don't have any mechs to buy. None of my builds revolve around coolshots, of course. It certainly helps on the Atlas when you really want that DireWolf to die and you've already killed one of them.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
As the local Menturian apologist I gotta side with Gwaihir, those lasers are for when you are at range, missing the LT, or can finish a mech with a well placed 10 damage. Don't use them freely with your SRMs if you plan on brawling someone down and winning.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean, really, I don't care if you fuckin love MPLs and want to put them on all your mechs. MWO is balanced so poorly that no matter what you do in an IS mech someone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together and a clan machine can just stomp over you in two alphas. So do whatever floats your boat.

I'm just compelled by a most severe case of mech based autism to always push the most ~highly optimized~ robots possible. Don't take it personally, you doing whatever you want doesn't get me riled up, I'm just compelled to push people to use the best possible mechs for efficient pubbie slaughtering.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

axelsoar posted:

As the local Menturian apologist I gotta side with Gwaihir, those lasers are for when you are at range, missing the LT, or can finish a mech with a well placed 10 damage. Don't use them freely with your SRMs if you plan on brawling someone down and winning.

Or you can judge each combat situation and play to a corresponding level. :banjo:

Gwaihir posted:

I mean, really, I don't care if you fuckin love MPLs and want to put them on all your mechs. MWO is balanced so poorly that no matter what you do in an IS mech someone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together and a clan machine can just stomp over you in two alphas. So do whatever floats your boat.

I'm just compelled by a most severe case of mech based autism to always push the most ~highly optimized~ robots possible. Don't take it personally, you doing whatever you want doesn't get me riled up, I'm just compelled to push people to use the best possible mechs for efficient pubbie slaughtering.

I enjoy a good robot discussion. You won't see me calling you or anyone an idiot. I appreciate your sentiments and even agree with many of them. I happen to agree your way is optimal if you are in fact given the perfect circumstances for it to be so. Many circumstances allow me to gauge whether I should alpha or not. It's not so cut and dry.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 24, 2014

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazvall posted:

Or you can judge each combat situation and play to a corresponding level. :banjo:

That's exactly what he just posted :crossarms:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

That's exactly what he just posted :crossarms:

You don't understand my humor, do you? :agesilaus:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I sometimes throw in the two mlas when I'm behind a target that won't give me the time to fully use up all my heat capacity to srms without serious risk. Normally I prefer to front load and immediately twist.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

In other news, I really want a King Crab. Here's to waiting until January 20th.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
How's the Mad Dog? I thought it was going to be kind of a dud considering the Timber Wolf is better in every way, but I've been hearing that its quirks (shorter missile reload time) and the fact that its missiles launch almost vertically make it a p. good LRM boat?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Stick 6 SRM6es on it with 24 DHS and laugh your way to two shotting anything.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Stick 6 SRM6es on it with 24 DHS and laugh your way to two shotting anything.

Pretty much this. I saw some assholes with 4 mediums lasers as well tearing poo poo up while exploding himself in the process.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DiHK posted:

I find it deeply amusing and utterly disgusting that whole "I'm changing" schtick has carrots attached to it.

I suspect that a player graph that is diving to the right isn't going to help their chances of securing other streams of funding, particularly as they appear to be consistently pushing out fluff for a crowdsource that needs to raise $33,000/day for the next couple of weeks.

They tried to control the message, now they're attempting bribery. I can't fault them for that, but reducing prices across the board and reducing the grind would attract more people back. OTOH, UI 2.0 is currently stopping me from playing as I open the client, look at the upsell and need a shower. And that's before I get to anything like gameplay.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The disgruntled pubbie sources say that according to Russ, player counts have remained relatively even although the number of accounts is now over 1.6 million.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Chronojam posted:

The disgruntled pubbie sources say that according to Russ, player counts have remained relatively even although the number of accounts is now over 1.6 million.

Of course, is that counting active accounts, or just accounts period? And what about people who log in once and say "this is bullshit" and leave?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chronojam posted:

So they're completely unable to retain new players? Who would have thought an offensively bad ui and obtuse game mechanics would make people quit.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Great Beer posted:

So they're completely unable to retain new players? Who would have thought an offensively bad ui and obtuse game mechanics would make people quit.

For a second I thought I was in the EVE thread.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
With private matches now available might I suggest a Menturion Arena of Death For the E-Honoure of the Innersphere?

I believe axelsoar is the reigning champ in what limited duels I have participated in.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TeeMerk posted:

With private matches now available might I suggest a Menturion Arena of Death For the E-Honoure of the Innersphere?

I believe axelsoar is the reigning champ in what limited duels I have participated in.

I'd prefer to see Alpha Strike Arena with Novas. Who can meltdown faster.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

Of course, is that counting active accounts, or just accounts period? And what about people who log in once and say "this is bullshit" and leave?

Active players have remained steady, while the number of total accounts has continued to grow.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stanley Pain posted:

I'd prefer to see Alpha Strike Arena with Novas. Who can meltdown faster.

Finally, a match type I was born to play.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I think I'm actually enjoying light mech play more than mediums.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Light mechs are at least theoretically useful while mediums are just "my mom told me I had to bring my kid brother along" mechs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I think I'm actually enjoying light mech play more than mediums.

Mediums are neither heavies nor lights. Lights are better at being Mediums often than Mediums are; and Heavies are better at being Mediums (and in like two cases, Lights) than Mediums are.

Blackjack was still fun as hell while it lasted, as was the Lunchback before it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObWgnvbk3oY

Hey, people were talking about centurions so here are some centurions I hope you like them ok bye

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lemming posted:

Light mechs are at least theoretically useful while mediums are just "my mom told me I had to bring my kid brother along" mechs.

I started a throwaway account just to get some quick cadet bonuses and try the Locust, and I actually have a positive KDR with it. Med Laser, 4x MG and I just hang back until the brawl is underway, then zip in and buzzsaw off parts of the red team. :unsmigghh:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

WarLocke posted:

I started a throwaway account just to get some quick cadet bonuses and try the Locust, and I actually have a positive KDR with it. Med Laser, 4x MG and I just hang back until the brawl is underway, then zip in and buzzsaw off parts of the red team. :unsmigghh:

You do this much more effectively with a spider or firestarter though.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The firestarter is an amazing light. Especially the one with two ams. I rarely pilot my Jenner now. I only really take the Raven for narc/tag missions as they positively excel at that role.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

Hey, people were talking about centurions so here are some centurions I hope you like them ok bye

Yeah see. 4x3 (which is a stupid title for a mechanic, like heat scale) prevents groups of proper build variety getting stomped by unfairly dropping with lots of medium mechs. It was totally dishouneuvre to only use mediums. drat exploiters!

Gwaihir posted:

Sorry, let me amend that, if you really want to you can build a sniper energy boat mech around it since coolshot can make the difference between overheating and getting an extra alpha or two off that will kill your target. Except whoops now there's still a bunch more left and you're out of coolshots :saddowns:

We considered Coolshot to be an very useful part of the Laserdrill. It certainly helped a bit with the heat.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Fil5000 posted:

I love this video. It makes me want to take my Menturion out for a spin later on today.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Number19 can you cropdust the devs until they add a 4v4 queue please

Edit: with selectable tonnage limits

Edit2: and new re-balanced maps and game modes

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

I will supply all nescesary chili and or other mexican food needed to comply with this request.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.

Gwaihir posted:

I will supply all nescesary chili and or other mexican food needed to comply with this request.

it's just about octoberfest season. Beer, sausages, cabbage. Trust.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Can confirm continued :black101: of menturion build vs. idiots in clan mechs. Top damage and 3 kills one of whom was a lone direwolf who was completely helpless once i got behind him. Also went 1 vs 3 at one point against a nova maddog and quickdraw (lol), nova lost a side torso, the mad dog lost an arm and I managed to escape to go on to leg a firestarter.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Gimme a non-lovely firestarter build.

i'm guessing this is not exactly optimal: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=138&l=6019cacd4b98b8fe0279279065dd14d44581ae34

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

They should add a 1vs1 league system. Call it Solaris/Trials of being TopFurry with 5 different "leagues": Light, Medium, Heavy, "Open" (Open = bring whatever). Split into IS/Clan queues. Use this to calculate Elo ratings.

After a while add team matches (2vs2, 4vs4). Make 3 monthly league fights of X top players/teams. Entry fee is 1k MC, pay out some MC for winners. Use "Duncan Fisher" (George Ledoux as live speaker, for top matches (top 3?). If he can do such things as awesome live as with text. I do realize those are 2 different skill sets. Make profit, get publicity also get some players back (maybe).

In the age of "clouds" server # shouldn't be a real problem. And if my IT knowledge doesn't fail me, 12 Servers with 1vs1 should produce less traffic than 1 Server with 12vs12? Or am I retarded? I know I'm retarded for still caring about MW:O.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

What mumble are WoL remnants using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.

DandyLion posted:

What mumble are WoL remnants using?

goonrathi is the flavor.

• Locked thread