Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All the TAHITI equipment would have been lost when the facility blew. The brain-rewriting robot arm got squished. :(

I don't see why that's a problem, they can just get Fitz to build a new one. He's great at that sort of

oh... right :qq:

But yeah, if he does use the serum to bring her back he probably wouldn't mess with her mind anyway, given how pissed off it made him when he found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He built a Lightsaber, bionic arm is nuffin

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Didn't Fury mindwipe Coulson in the first place because the problem with the procedure was that patients went cray-cray if they kept their memories? So if Coulson used it on Hartley he'd be forced to mindwipe her whether he liked it or not.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
An excellent premiere.

Great Agent Carter cameo. Since they're using the show anyway to tie the halves of the season together, it's a smart idea to encourage people to watch it by tying it directly to the main show.

I liked seeing that Shield under Coulson did have some more people working for it than just the main cast. Not a lot, but it was enough to indicate that they are (very) slowly rebuilding it. They've now got enough to do that when they can't use B.J. Britt, Tripp can be sent elsewhere

Introducing and (apparently) killing off Lucy Lawless with her heavily promoted backstory was a clever idea. I'm okay with show runners using deception to preserve twists. Those deaths made the daring raid on a military base have consequences as well. Lying to the mercenaries about the reason for the raid was also pretty ruthless and cold of Coulson.

Like everyone else, I didn't see Simmons being a hallucination. That really worked, and it showed that Ward's attempt to kill Fitz and Simmons did have lasting and severe consequences. It's pretty tragic. :smith: I think that Simmons left just as much because she couldn't bear to see Fitz like that as it was a hope that her absence would help him.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Fitzsimmons became Fitz"Simmons"

I really want them to elaborate on why she left because right now it seems like a dick move for her to take off after the brain damage. Something is definitely up with her I just hope they don't drag it out forever.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Fritz'simmons'

And anyways, we can be drat sure that item 084 is Kree, because we briefly saw the Kree dude's body (Possibly the same guy from the guest house! The timeline fits...) in a box at the start (Peg slams the box shut when Dum Dum tries to open it).

I like Ward's crazy eyes, and I'm glad he's still muscly and jaw-liney. He'll get out eventually, and it will be fantastic.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Like everyone else, I didn't see Simmons being a hallucination. That really worked, and it showed that Ward's attempt to kill Fitz and Simmons did have lasting and severe consequences. It's pretty tragic. :smith: I think that Simmons left just as much because she couldn't bear to see Fitz like that as it was a hope that her absence would help him.

LeafyOrb posted:

Fitzsimmons became Fitz"Simmons"

I really want them to elaborate on why she left because right now it seems like a dick move for her to take off after the brain damage. Something is definitely up with her I just hope they don't drag it out forever.

Given how we see Fitz lashing out in anger at "Simmons", I think it's safe to infer that she wasn't able to handle being around someone she cared so much about and asked Coulson to be reassigned. It's kind of a parallel to the difficulty that family members face when someone they love develops Alzheimers. Pretty often people just can't handle seeing someone they know acting so unlike themselves and bail out. Kudos to the show for acknowledging that, and not having her stick around through the hard times. "Crazy guy is hallucinating" is an old trope, but given that it's basically always entertaining I'm fine with AoS using it.

gannyGrabber posted:

I like Ward's crazy eyes, and I'm glad he's still muscly and jaw-liney. He'll get out eventually, and it will be fantastic.
'
My hope is that they absolutely need Ward's help in the field. Needing him to go undercover or bait in an old Hydra contact seems like it'll happen. Coulson and Co. throw all the safety measures they can on him. Bomb at the base of the neck, paralyzing nanoprobe, all that sort of stuff. Fitz is great at making stuff like...

Oh. Right.

Anyway, he asks to be teamed up with Skye so he can keep creeping on her, they obviously don't let him, and then he basically shrugs that off and completes the mission flawlessly and 100% on the side of Shield, landing them a big "win". Then we get to see him being all sociopathic and wondering why they're locking him up again when he's totally a cool guy and just wants to help Shield out. Ward as a character who feels lost in the world without Garrett around, can't get over his love for Skye, and doesn't understand why the team doesn't like him despite him betraying them, killing a Koenig, breaking Fitz and trying to beat up May would be fantastic, and would tie in to the "most helpful prisoner ever" vibe I was getting from him in this episode.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

It's clearly the same symbols that Coulson was writing on the wall, which would tie Whitehall nicely into the Couslon mysterie of the season.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Pretty good start to season 2. They've already avoided the boredom problem they had early in season 1 by having lots of poo poo go really wrong right off the bat.

That being said, I still hate Skye as a character and seeing her get transitioned into superagent is a bit annoying. I was hoping the new characters would take some of the focus away from her, but it seems like she's graduated to point man.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was super worried the show would be back to early season 1 levels after the last arc, but those fears are GONE. Great start, and looks like a lot of good things to keep things moving. Even the villain was pretty badass, using his power in really different ways.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Giving him the diamond then not using it was weird.

I assume it would have been a much more expensive effect though.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The great thing about doing the Ward-Skye thing is that instead of having Skye wanting to save him with "true love," they seem to be really committed to her hating the ever lovin' poo poo out of him, which is great and more realistic. On top of that, Ward is really, really, loving crazy, and he still loves Skye because he's batshit insane and that is what he is gonna do.

Seriously, Ward comes off now as completely creepy, and I wonder what would happen if he got out. :ohdear:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

imperialparadox posted:

The great thing about doing the Ward-Skye thing is that instead of having Skye wanting to save him with "true love," they seem to be really committed to her hating the ever lovin' poo poo out of him, which is great and more realistic. On top of that, Ward is really, really, loving crazy, and he still loves Skye because he's batshit insane and that is what he is gonna do.

Seriously, Ward comes off now as completely creepy, and I wonder what would happen if he got out. :ohdear:

Grabs Skye to abduct her, shoots Shield agents in the face as he does it, turns to her as they are lying dead on the ground and says "look I know we have a lot to work on but we have something together."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Giving him the diamond then not using it was weird.
I thought he did use it, his arm turned all diamondy after he got the spiel about it being omg so rare. It was like giving a drug addict some super-pure heroin or something as a reward for job well done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oracle posted:

I thought he did use it, his arm turned all diamondy after he got the spiel about it being omg so rare. It was like giving a drug addict some super-pure heroin or something as a reward for job well done.

I meant using it for his next job or something. Certainly works better than turning into bronze.

Especially if he didn't actually intend to get captured, since they said that was just a lucky coincidence.

I guess he just wanted to get diamond high without the pressure of beating up the General.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

I meant using it for his next job or something. Certainly works better than turning into bronze.

Diamond can actually shatter if you hit it in just the right spot with enough force. Bronze might get a bit bent out of shape but it can take a heck of a pounding.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It works out pretty well for Emma Frost.

...Other than that time she was shattered by a bullet.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So is there a big marvel film that will release during this shows run and potentially affect things on SHIELD this season?

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Timett posted:

So is there a big marvel film that will release during this shows run and potentially affect things on SHIELD this season?

doesn't "Age of Ultron" come out in May?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Age of Ultron late in the season. There's already been a possible Agents of Shield tie-in being seen filmed for it, but it has yet to get any hard confirmation I believe:

There's some sort of "Avengers Academy" being developed in the movie, with Triplett as one of the instructors. So I assume he'll hang around with the team for awhile, then leave to go work on that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deadicons posted:

doesn't "Age of Ultron" come out in May?

May 1, and the next after that is Ant Man on July 17. Season 1 only ran from September 24 to May 13 but they had a few huge gaps in there. This season they're planning on running 10 in a block then have Agent Carter for 8 weeks and then run the final 12 episodes of AoS continuously so they should end in early April if they stick to that.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 24, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timett posted:

Do not think so, as Avengers will be coming out the a week or two before the finale, so it might influence the final episode. It might also just influence set up for season 3.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Wonder if we might get a Nova Corps cameo this season, possibly John C. Reilly? He's not against doing a lot of random TV work.

ABC tie-in wise, both Emily VanCamp and Karen Gillan are on ABC shows now. I doubt Nebula would make a cameo (especially since she has her hair back now), but Sharon Carter seems like an obvious go to, especially if they want to somehow tie into the Peggy Carter series.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I saw that Ultron was in May and I guess that just seems really far away. Is this season really not going to have ended like 8 months from now?

This is the frustrating thing about network television. I would think I'd be used to it by now.

At least Carter will help fill a break.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Daredevil's on Netflix around that time too isn't it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timett posted:

I saw that Ultron was in May and I guess that just seems really far away. Is this season really not going to have ended like 8 months from now?

This is the frustrating thing about network television. I would think I'd be used to it by now.

At least Carter will help fill a break.

It will be a block of 10 then Agent Carter, and ending with the final 13.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I assume there will still be a few short breaks like election night, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. Just no extended hiatuses.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just found an interview with EP Jeffrey Bell where he says there'll be "a gap or two" in the first half and then the break for Agent Carter but the second half will be shown "twelve in a row with no interruptions".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

I guess he just wanted to get diamond high without the pressure of beating up the General.
Thank god they didn't give him cocaine, else he would be able to harness the mighty power of Snowflame

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Idaho, we hardly knew ye.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to say I really like how they handled Fitz's story this episode. The writers did a great job manipulating emotions of the audience.

First, we have the comedic fakeout. We think he's comatose, but no he's just concentrating. Audience is relieved immediately though we see he's quite a bit more irritable than normal. Ok, we knew there would be some fallout, he's just hardened a bit. Oh crap, he's blanking on words and is having trouble doing his work. There really is some lasting damage here. However, Simmons says he's been improving and she's helping him along. There's hope he'll be alright in the end. Then there's the whammy at the end that Simmons was just in his head and Coulson feels he's slipping away and the audience is crushed.

Then you step back for a moment and think about it. Simmons may have been in his head, but she was completing his sentences and filling in his blanks. His intelligence is still in there, fighting to get out. So, some hope is restored that he may be restored to his former intelligence level but it's tempered by the fact that he's clearly losing grip on reality and becoming more isolated.

I think they're setting Fitz up to go down the path of an antagonist to the team. I don't think he'll flip to Hydra or anything like that but rather be sort of a chaotic mad scientist element wildcard later. He'll likely be desperate to prove himself that he's still useful to the team and overreach into a morally grey area that Coulson isn't willing to walk anymore after what happened with Hydra infiltrating S.H.I.E.L.D.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 24, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bull3964 posted:

I have to say I really like how they handled Fitz's story this episode. The writers did a great job manipulating emotions of the audience.

First, we have the comedic fakeout. We think he's comatose, but no he's just concentrating. Audience is relieved immediately though we see he's quite a bit more irritable than normal. Ok, we knew there would be some fallout, he's just hardened a bit. Oh crap, he's blanking on words and is having trouble doing his work. There really is some lasting damage here. However, Simmons says he's been improving and she's helping him along. There's hope he'll be alright in the end. Then there's the whammy at the end that Simmons was just in his head and Coulson feels he's slipping away and the audience is crushed.

Then you step back for a moment and think about it. Simmons may have been in his head, but she was completing his sentences and filling in his blanks. He's intelligence is still in there, fighting to get out. So, some hope is restored that he may be restored to his former intelligence level but it's tempered by the fact that he's clearly losing grip on reality and becoming more isolated.

I think they're setting Fitz up to go down the path of an antagonist to the team. I don't think he'll flip to Hydra or anything like that but rather be sort of a chaotic mad scientist element wildcard later. He'll likely be desperate to prove himself that he's still useful to the team and overreach into a morally grey area that Coulson isn't willing to walk anymore after what happened with Hydra infiltrating S.H.I.E.L.D.

Good post, and I love your idea for Fitz to be a wildcard, neutral kinda character. Someone who wouldn't necessarily be part of SHIELD, but they could go to for help if they really need it, and are willing to roll the dice. Sorta like how Deathlok is right now. The more this show can build up a complicated web of grey, uncertain relationships between various super spy factions, the better.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I liked the cut from Coulson mentioning how Garrett went nuts in the end to Skye staring blankly ahead with alien script scrolling behind her, only for it to be another fakeout with her just chillin' on the screen table. This episode really loved fakeouts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Slashrat posted:

I liked the cut from Coulson mentioning how Garrett went nuts in the end to Skye staring blankly ahead with alien script scrolling behind her, only for it to be another fakeout with her just chillin' on the screen table. This episode really loved fakeouts.

Yeah, I liked that as well. It was a really interesting transition shot. It just feels like there's a lot more thought going into things now across the board.

That's why I have a lot more hope for this season. Last year they were trying to world build to something they actually weren't allowed to build to and it just didn't work at all. Hopefully they have a more cohesive plan now how AoS fits into the MCU that will allow them to do storylines without suffering because of a gag order.

Honestly, I think last year should have been abbreviated 13 episode season that started after January. That would be enough establishing time for the characters. They could have run with the T.A.H.I.T.I. storyline as the main plot with some rumblings happening in the background, finishing up around the same timing with TWS. That would have tightened things up quite a bit and made it seem less like they were waiting for permission from the MCU to REALLY start the show.

Then, they could have expanded into the longer season this year with the break for Agent Carter in the middle.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The main key now is that Shield is completely disconnected from the Movie characters and their actions.

Rodgers/Stark and the others are kinda running their own thing now not at SHIELD or anyone's beck and call.

Shield is now completely controlled by regulars on the show. Which means the writers have way more control over plots regarding SHIELD.

Also yeah, The Cinematography in this episode was goddamn fantastic and I hope they can keep it up.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Absorbing man has always been one of my favourite minor villains, so it was nice seeing him.

Poor Fitz :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wow. Good episode, Agents of SHIELD! Between this, Agent Carter, Gotham, Arrow, and The Flash there are a lot of comic book shows I'm actually kind of excited about this season!

Oh, and also Constantine.

poo poo, that's a lot.

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
I was scared that this show might go back to the quality it displayed in the beginning of last season. I never hated it, but I never really liked it either and I really only sat through it at the beginning because of the very few occasions it'd display hints of quality.

I'm convinced now, they really did have the excuse that they couldn't spoil The Winter Soldier.

Also, on ABC's website video player, where ordinarily they'd have a one or two line summary of the episode, they have nine full paragraphs that reveal every detail, including all the twists and turns the plot takes. All of them. I don't mind spoilers personally, I often actually seek them out, but I have no idea why ABC would do that for their own show.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

The Watch posted:

Also, on ABC's website video player, where ordinarily they'd have a one or two line summary of the episode, they have nine full paragraphs that reveal every detail, including all the twists and turns the plot takes. All of them. I don't mind spoilers personally, I often actually seek them out, but I have no idea why ABC would do that for their own show.

I like a detailed episode synopsis but the video player seems like a weird place to put it.

HBO has great super detailed episode synopsis of every show I've ever looked for on their site. They were really helpful when I was still figuring out The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I can appreciate in retrospect how early season 1 set up a lot of little things (the gravitonium, eye cameras, alien script, even hydra) and gave a sense of what SHIELD was doing and the authority it commanded, to give a contrast to the SHIELD of the present which is little more than a dozen competent people who have to spend as much time being pursued as they do pursuing the bad guys.

I don't think the impact of SHIELD's collapse would have been quite as big if the series had torn it down right away and started as Agents of Nothing. It doesn't excuse that the early episodes could have been better, but there was a point to them at least in the larger narrative.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 24, 2014

• Locked thread