Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geera
May 20, 2003
FWIW MacRumors just tweeted this out regarding 8.0.1:

MacRumors posted:

Numerous users reporting no cell service and broken Touch ID after updating to iOS 8.0.1. May want to hold off updating for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yep, a coworker just updated to 8.0.1 on his Plus and lost Touch ID and cell service.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

geera posted:

FWIW MacRumors just tweeted this out regarding 8.0.1:

Yeah, experiencing this myself. Ugh.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Whoops. I should have finished reading the thread before pressing the upgrade button.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
It's okay, nobody makes phone calls on their phone anymore anyway, they just sit around and bend them all day.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
God. Dammit.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Update on half-loading/not-loading pictures: factory reset does gently caress all, set up as new phone does gently caress all

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
On the plus side of 8.0.1, reachability is far more responsive.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011
FWIW I just updated my 5s and both Touch ID and cell service are working fine. Is this only a problem with the 6's or did I get lucky?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Can report on my new 6, updated and Touch ID and Cell Service is gone. I'm on AT&T, 64 Gig Space Grey 6.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

On the plus side of 8.0.1, reachability is far more responsive.

HealthKit apps will work on my giant curved iPod Touch now!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Guys, it is inappropriate to mention bending phones. This is because aluminum is pliable, if you kindly would look that up before poking fun at this inherent trait of the metal. Apple cannot control physics.

Adding an additional gram of aluminum that would have made bending your iPhone putting in your pocket sideways impossible has nothing to do with it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also curious if it is a plus or not plus issue.

Coworker had it happen to his plus. I had downloaded the file to my phone and had my finger over the install button on my 6 when he shouted across the room to everyone not to update.

(Edit: looks like from the thread it is not related to being a plus)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Supgaiz posted:

FWIW I just updated my 5s and both Touch ID and cell service are working fine. Is this only a problem with the 6's or did I get lucky?

It's only being reported on 6 and 6 Plus devices.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm download the firmware for ios8.0. Hopefully Apple is still signing them. I'm on an ATT 6 btw.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I imagine this is going to be a bad day for Apple code monkeys. :ohdear:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

And the Genius Bar.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
And whoever it is that gets paid to read Tim Cook's email.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

kitten smoothie posted:

And the Genius Bar.

Holyyy poo poo, people are still lining up at the Apple store still right? That's going to be a fire code violation right there.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you buy an iPhone 6 or 6+, is IOS 8 pre-installed? Or can i use 7?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oasx posted:

If you buy an iPhone 6 or 6+, is IOS 8 pre-installed?
Yes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

It's a good thing ghosts don't actually exist or Steve Jobs would be loving their poo poo up right now.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
I saw the news about the 8.0.1 issues as my phone was rebooting. Now my (Verizon, if it matters) phone is dead, and even though I'm right across the street from an Apple store, they don't have any Genius Bar appointments until Thursday :negative:

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Bendghazi is over, worry not:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

I doubt it's a code monkey issue. When something like this happens it's usually something like the wrong files being pushed to production, not a validation/testing issue before release.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stutes posted:

I saw the news about the 8.0.1 issues as my phone was rebooting. Now my (Verizon, if it matters) phone is dead, and even though I'm right across the street from an Apple store, they don't have any Genius Bar appointments until Thursday :negative:
I believe 8.0 is still being signed so you can go back to 12A365 if you have a machine with iTunes and the .ipsw.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

xzzy posted:

It's a good thing ghosts don't actually exist or Steve Jobs would be loving their poo poo up right now.

Whoever released this file needs to be tarred and feathered.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's sounding like it might be an OTA issue. Some 6/6+ users are reporting that if they use the 8.0.1 .ipsw's and iTunes, their service and Touch ID work just fine.

Still probably worth just sitting it out a few hours until it gets sorted out.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

Stutes posted:

When I talked to VZW earlier about my reception issue on my 6, he told me the stores will have none in stock and even for my 'worry free guarantee' replacement, the ship date is 10/17. Hopefully the Apple store will be able to help you though, unless they roll out 8.02 tonight to save everyone.

eames
May 9, 2009

I got caught too. No Touch ID, no service. Hope restoring via USB helps...

Curious to see how long it will take them to fix this gigantic fuckup.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I just hate how this 8.0.1 event is going to make the "I'm still on Tiger/iOS 2.0.3/Atari DOS 2.5" laggards feel oh so smart when in reality they're just holding up progress by forcing everyone to support their old crap.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe 8.0 is still being signed so you can go back to 12A365 if you have a machine with iTunes and the .ipsw.

Yeah I didn't think of that - after one of the 7.0.x updates bricked the cell radio (persistent across restores) and required a hardware replacement I just immediately assumed the worst.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Looks like 8.0.1 finally got pulled.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
There have got to be some seriously pissed off individuals right now.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Two people in my office with iPhone 6 completely bricked by the update.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Is there a way to cancel the OTA download/update? It's plugging along slowly, threatening to brick me eventually.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

pzy posted:

Is there a way to cancel the OTA download/update? It's plugging along slowly, threatening to brick me eventually.

it's been pulled. i think if you force reboot mid-update it cleans up and just goes back to the old. not that I would recommend you try that as it's fairly dangerous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Samara posted:

Two people in my office with iPhone 6 completely bricked by the update.

"Completely" as in they can do literally nothing with it? Black screen and unresponsive?

Because after a couple reboots in a short amount of time, the phone is supposed to drop into recovery mode that demands you plug into a computer with iTunes to do a complete reset.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

"Completely" as in they can do literally nothing with it? Black screen and unresponsive?

Because after a couple reboots in a short amount of time, the phone is supposed to drop into recovery mode that demands you plug into a computer with iTunes to do a complete reset.
Yeah, it's virtually impossible to brick an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Apple seem to be trying their hardest tho