Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Also I don't think I've ever successfully hit a note where I was supposed to pre bend and release a string but that is at least partly me not knowing a song well enough to know it's coming up and be caught unprepared repeatedly.

I had never even realised that pre-bends were a thing in RS until I read this. Well that explains some troubles I've been having.

The googles found this , so I know what to look for now, which is pretty darned handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

TheChaosPath posted:

It's worth the effort to get it right now

And by that you mean "Take it to someone who has a strobe tuner, and don't use the notoriously inaccurate tuner in Rocksmith to set intonation" right?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Chalupa Joe posted:

And by that you mean "Take it to someone who has a strobe tuner, and don't use the notoriously inaccurate tuner in Rocksmith to set intonation" right?

Dude just found out about intonation today, I only want to make sure we get over the hump of "turning this little screw seems like a lot of work"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Agent355 posted:

Well I learned what intonation was today, I learned that 5 of my strings are perfectly intoned and one of them is incredibly out of whack. I learned that in order to adjust the intonation I have to actually remove the string, or at least release enough tension that I can get under it where the screw is, which is incredibly annoying and tedious.

The only tuner I have is the one that comes with rocksmith and for some reason that one doesn't seem to just let you use it like a regular tuner so the only comparison I could get between the 12th harmonic and the 12th fret is how far away they are from what my B is supposed to be in standard tuning :haw:

I got it to within 8 of each other, near as I can tell. So my harmonic was 802 and my 12th fret 810. Is that close enough or should I try to get even more accurate. My other strings are nearly pitch perfect, only off by 1 or 2 but I'm getting tired of constantly loosening and tightening the string entirely to make these small adjustments.

You're definitely adjusting the individual strings with their own screws, right? Tuning down shouldn't be a big problem, you do it even if the saddle adjustment is accessible, just turn turn turn turn until it's slack, adjust (you'll get used to the amount you need to turn) then turn turn turn turn until it's close to pitch. Bend the string before you check the tuning too - it equalises any tension imbalance behind the nut, avoids the tuning slipping and makes your life easier.

Yeah the Rocksmith tuner is balls, and if you're already having detection issues you can't trust it. Get Pitchlab - there's an iOS version too - and find a mode you like. I use the strobe one with the needle and the black and white pattern you try to get straight. It works really really well, just play your guitar in the room and it should pick it up! Try and get it accurate if you can, the higher you go up the neck the worse the problem gets, so if you end up in widdly territory you want it to work.

Is the calibration / input gain / gaming the calibration stuff in the OP yet? It should be

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yah I have a screw for each string, I can't get it any better than it is right now. The reason I noticed this whole problem in the first place is I was trying to learn cliffs of dover bit by bit since it's so difficult. A certain section (at the difficulty I'm at) is nothing but a bunch of slides between 16 and 12 on the g string and I just could not for the life of me level up in the rift repeater despite being pretty sure I was doing it right. So the litmus test was going back to that section and seeing if I could get the game to register me doing it correctly, which I did with no problem at all. So hopefully the problem is done for now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you go into the settings menu there is a tuner there that will just tell you what note you are playing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Agent355 posted:

Yah I have a screw for each string, I can't get it any better than it is right now. The reason I noticed this whole problem in the first place is I was trying to learn cliffs of dover bit by bit since it's so difficult. A certain section (at the difficulty I'm at) is nothing but a bunch of slides between 16 and 12 on the g string and I just could not for the life of me level up in the rift repeater despite being pretty sure I was doing it right. So the litmus test was going back to that section and seeing if I could get the game to register me doing it correctly, which I did with no problem at all. So hopefully the problem is done for now.

I don't mean to make fun but the juxtaposition of learning about intonation for the first time ever while trying to learn Cliffs of Dover is just adorable. :allears:

I gave up on that song months ago. Eric Johnson is a machine.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Dewgy posted:

I don't mean to make fun but the juxtaposition of learning about intonation for the first time ever while trying to learn Cliffs of Dover is just adorable. :allears:

I gave up on that song months ago. Eric Johnson is a machine.

I've been playing guitar for a long time but outside of a highschool guitar class I've never been taught anything, so it's mostly just been me buying music books or downloading tabs online and learning by imitation. So while I don't really know a whole heck of a lot about guitars themselves and what problems they might have, or how to do particular things like bends or barre chords, the actual act of moving fingers quickly and playing notes I do pretty okay with.

I'm not even anywhere close to being able to actually play cliffs of dover, but it's on my guitar playing bucket list so I dabble and practice different bits here and there in the rift repeater. I'll get it down someday.

Electric guitar is actually still fairly new to me, I've only been playing for about a year, and not as much practice as I should. I learned guitar originally playing fingerstyle on my acoustic. I can actually play a pretty reasonable Classical Gas except for the drat barre chords.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
That tab extractor, combined with Tux guitar, is awesome. Seriously, I'm actually understanding so much more about the songs now that I can see the tab itself rather than just a flurry of notes which I kind of pick up by instinct / rhythm.

The playback functionality in tux guitar is also funny in a midi-mangled kind of way.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

RockyB posted:

That tab extractor, combined with Tux guitar, is awesome. Seriously, I'm actually understanding so much more about the songs now that I can see the tab itself rather than just a flurry of notes which I kind of pick up by instinct / rhythm.
Yeah I definitely agree. I find rocksmith heaps of fun, and a great way to find new songs, and riff repeater is great, but I find it much easier to learn a hard 2 bars or 4 bars or whatever with the tab (and maybe amazing slow-downer on the iphone, for getting the details). It's nice to have another tool in the toolbox.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Shinedown DLC next week

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

toymach1ne posted:

Shinedown DLC next week

Yay!

Hope it's not a three pack with Devour. :smith:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Shinedown Song Pack – $11.99

Shinedown “45”
Shinedown “Bully” – Eb Drop Db
Shinedown “Enemies” – Drop C
Shinedown “Second Chance” (Capo Required on Rhythm)
Shinedown “Sound of Madness” – Drop D

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
No "Diamond Eyes"? :smith:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

toymach1ne posted:

Shinedown Song Pack – $11.99

Shinedown “45”
Shinedown “Bully” – Eb Drop Db
Shinedown “Enemies” – Drop C
Shinedown “Second Chance” (Capo Required on Rhythm)
Shinedown “Sound of Madness” – Drop D

I like most of those songs, but Bully really rubs me the wrong way, though the end message of the song is good. I'd rather have Diamond Eyes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

According to Gamespot, DLC songs will transfer between console generations too (within the same family obviously).

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

According to Gamespot, DLC songs will transfer between console generations too (within the same family obviously).

Yup

Here is a full FAQ

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/924044-Rocksmith-2014-PlayStation-4-amp-Xbox-One-FAQ

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Anyone know how to record with a Logitech webcam + snowball? There's a huge clusterfuck with the audio and devices.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

OhDearGodNo posted:

Anyone know how to record with a Logitech webcam + snowball? There's a huge clusterfuck with the audio and devices.

Like record yourself playing Rocksmith?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sire Oblivion posted:

Like record yourself playing Rocksmith?

Yes

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

OhDearGodNo posted:

There might be some way to do it with OBS or something. if you want to capture the game play too, maybe fraps too? I'm not too sure.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Easiest way to record Rocksmith is with an nVidia card using Shadowplay. Just set it to record your microphone as well as the "exclusive" game volume which is normally muted on recordings. Then in windows control panel go to Sound and set "What you hear" or "Stereo Mix" as the primary recording device depending on what your sound device lists it as.

If you lack that option there's always VB_Audio's Virtual Audio Cable which is a handy bit of Donationware that's great at mixing audio devices together.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Verizian posted:

Easiest way to record Rocksmith is with an nVidia card using Shadowplay. Just set it to record your microphone as well as the "exclusive" game volume which is normally muted on recordings. Then in windows control panel go to Sound and set "What you hear" or "Stereo Mix" as the primary recording device depending on what your sound device lists it as.

If you lack that option there's always VB_Audio's Virtual Audio Cable which is a handy bit of Donationware that's great at mixing audio devices together.

How about externally? I hook my cable to a splitter and out my amp. I was thinking of doing the split screen thing.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

I use a gopro, you could use a smartphone if you wanted.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Having now listened to the Shinedown DLC songs, I'm even more upset and confused about no Diamond Eyes. :smith:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I found this thread so I can brag about my cheevos since no one on Facebook cares. After 236h of bass playtime, I've finally hit Hitting .500. Thank you for all your support that I never used, goons.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EvilChameleon posted:

I found this thread so I can brag about my cheevos since no one on Facebook cares. After 236h of bass playtime, I've finally hit Hitting .500. Thank you for all your support that I never used, goons.

I'm in awe! I try to play at least a half hour every day on average, so I'm only at ~175 hours played. Congrats!

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
^^^ I believe in you, you can do it!

Is it okay to talk about CDLC in here, or is that considered :filez:?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EvilChameleon posted:

We talk about CDLC all the time here, so go ahead I'd say.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

EvilChameleon posted:

Based on the preceding 113 pages of CDLC discussion I'm gonna venture to say its ok.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://www.macgamestore.com/product/3006/Rocksmith-2014-Edition/ $14.98 on Steam etc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I believe the issue here is Rocksmith's "Audio Exclusivity" or whatever. I've been trying to stream Rocksmith gameplay or even record it (without an external capture device) but because Rocksmith needs audio exclusivity I can't record or stream any audio. Without it my game won't have any audio. I think you'd need an external device if you're recording PC gameplay.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I believe the issue here is Rocksmith's "Audio Exclusivity" or whatever. I've been trying to stream Rocksmith gameplay or even record it (without an external capture device) but because Rocksmith needs audio exclusivity I can't record or stream any audio. Without it my game won't have any audio. I think you'd need an external device if you're recording PC gameplay.

Already mentioned how to get around this. Control Panel/Sound/Recording and set "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" to the default recording device. Then have your capture program use that as the source. Shadowplay will use it if you go into the options and tell it to record mic input.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Here is the clue

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EvilChameleon posted:

45 more minutes today, and I plan on getting another 2 hours tomorrow. Thanks!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
There was an image hidden in the image

It was a sign language GIF of "Foreign"

Foreigner Pack!

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

toymach1ne posted:

There was an image hidden in the image

It was a sign language GIF of "Foreign"

Foreigner Pack!

Jukebox Hero! Please.

If this is true, it'll probably be the best two weeks in a row for DLC for me. Really enjoyed the Shinedown pack, though I can't really play Enemies on my current setup. I can do D Standard and Eb Drop Db, but that extra half-step down to C, and I can't keep it in tune. Oh well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Verizian posted:

Already mentioned how to get around this. Control Panel/Sound/Recording and set "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" to the default recording device. Then have your capture program use that as the source. Shadowplay will use it if you go into the options and tell it to record mic input.

I must have missed it but you're supposed to put the Guitar Rig cable as the default device? Or is "Stereo Mix" supposed to show up in my Recording tab but doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
So if we're talking CDLC, what do you folks love playing on bass? The guy who does all the Opeth tracks is great. I can mostly play most of them, sort of. You also get the whole 10 minute workout thing going on. I don't know what's cool in contemporary music, though, all my stuff is metal or old things for the most part. Further, if anyone has any recommendations for things that are 5 or 6 strings that are not terribly difficult (no goddam Dream Theater, I'm not John Myung) that'd be cool. There's some Haken and Scale the Summit charts but I am just not that good :(