Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Millstone posted:

it's been pulled. i think if you force reboot mid-update it cleans up and just goes back to the old. not that I would recommend you try that as it's fairly dangerous.

Mine's stuck at "Preparing Update" even after a reboot. Perhaps it will never fully prepare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

It's a good thing ghosts don't actually exist or Steve Jobs would be loving their poo poo up right now.

Maybe they do and this is his revenge.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My phone downloaded it and thankfully asked me if I wanted to install it now or later, I hit later and now there's a badge of doom on my settings icon.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Dave posted:

My phone downloaded it and thankfully asked me if I wanted to install it now or later, I hit later and now there's a badge of doom on my settings icon.
Same. I think the only way they can fix devices in this state is to push an 8.0.2 release.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Millstone posted:

There have got to be some seriously pissed off individuals right now.

They really need to test their releases. It would have been enough to enable this OTA update an hour earlier for final internal testing only. This would have been obvious.

I wonder why they keep having these fuckups like this and others (iPhones "currently unavailable" on preorder night). Even Apple seems to have C-grade people in some positions of power.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, it's virtually impossible to brick an iPhone.

You'd be surprised - somehow the fact that I paid full price for my 5S last year broke the activation system, so that every time I installed a software update (which I had to do constantly, since all of the replacement phones were running an outdated build of iOS 7) it killed the cell radio. I went through so many hardware replacements that they eventually gave me a brand-new-in-box phone and reset the 12 month warranty.

eames
May 9, 2009

Tried a factory restore via USB and still no service.
Now where do I find build 12A365 for the iPhone 6...

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Bad tech lingo usage.

They aren't bricked phones they just have no cellular service anymore.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

eames posted:

Tried a factory restore via USB and still no service.
Now where do I find build 12A365 for the iPhone 6...

Here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flavor posted:

They really need to test their releases. It would have been enough to enable this OTA update an hour earlier for final internal testing only. This would have been obvious.

You think they didn't test this? More logical is it got accidentally released too early, or the wrong build?

eames
May 9, 2009

that's actually for the iPhone 6 Plus but thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Found a full list here:

url removed because reddit is dumb and that link appears to be right.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 24, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Feenix posted:

You think they didn't test this? More logical is it got accidentally released too early, or the wrong build?
They were too busy fending off the screaming, liverless ghost roaring around their campus to double check if they were shipping the right binaries.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Feenix posted:

Giving limited access to internal testers before a full release is part of final testing. It's testing whether the update process for 8.0.1 is set up correctly.

geera
May 20, 2003

The Dave posted:

Looks like it's possible to remove 8.0.1 if it has been downloaded but not installed: https://twitter.com/jfmartin67/status/514844404411273216

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

eames posted:

that's actually for the iPhone 6 Plus but thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Found a full list here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/iOS8/comments/2goddx/direct_links_for_ios8/

Not surprisingly, reddit is wrong.

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=iPhone7,2

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like the apple servers no longer sign 8.0.1 so don’t bother restoring with that build and download 12A365 manually right away.

Good luck downloading that because their CDN appears to be completely overloaded now. 200 kB/s on my 150 Mbit connection. Haha, what a giant clusterfuck.

oh heh. :suicide:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Son of a bitch, just took the case off my 5 and checked, and sure enough, it has a slight (2 degrees maybe) bend in the same exact spot as those 6+s. If I press on the top left,me bottom rises off a flat surface a couple of millimeters. It's been in cases since purchased, so I'm pretty surprised and annoyed. Guess I'll have to put a goddamn Otterbox brick around my 6. Also, I wear straight leg jeans, not slim or skinny.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Bricked device means something far far more serious than just losing cell service.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

geera posted:

Looks like it's possible to remove 8.0.1 if it has been downloaded but not installed: https://twitter.com/jfmartin67/status/514844404411273216

Success! Thanks

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Bricked device means something far far more serious than just losing cell service.

"Bricked" is the dark cousin of "Awesome" in that everything that's not total poo poo is "Awesome" and everything that has a little issue is "bricked" now.

Oh my god, the SA forums app font size is bricked!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The 6 Plus bricked one handed use!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

geera posted:

Good looking out, thanks!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Feenix posted:

Well, normally I would be mad at Apple but I too have a problem with early release so I can empathize.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

flavor posted:

"Bricked" is the dark cousin of "Awesome" in that everything that's not total poo poo is "Awesome" and everything that has a little issue is "bricked" now.

Oh my god, the SA forums app font size is bricked!

You can add "Hack" to this. Everything from DDOS to rooting a phone to the very annoying idiots who post from another person's Facebook "Bobbie Sue You Been Hacked!", because the person left their Facebook logged on.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

nate fisher posted:

You can add "Hack" to this. Everything from DDOS to rooting a phone to the very annoying idiots who post from another person's Facebook "Bobbie Sue You Been Hacked!", because the person left their Facebook logged on.

The 8.0.1 up-gate(!) hacked an awesome brick today!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CNBC picked up on it: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000313490

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

There's a joke about 24 hour news here...

Edit: Jesus those pundits.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 24, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I like Android people who root their phones by following a walkthrough and call it "hacking."

eames
May 9, 2009

Listen up, Ive pushed this update so the media would stop talking about bent iPhones. It worked. Because they are now bent iPods.
Still restoring.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

eames posted:

Listen up, Ive pushed this update so the media would stop talking about bent iPhones. It worked. Because they are now bent iPods.
Still restoring.

Now the people are getting bent out of shape. :toot:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The Verge is my last good hope! For the commute home, anyways.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6839347/fix-for-bad-ios-8-0-1-update

(don't want to restore to nothing)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

The Verge is my last good hope! For the commute home, anyways.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6839347/fix-for-bad-ios-8-0-1-update

(don't want to restore to nothing)

I want the wallpaper on that phone.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

This is now the main headline on Drudge, as "IPHONES CRASH". Sorry, no flashing siren lights yet though.

Big ouch for Apple.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sith Happens posted:

This is now the main headline on Drudge.

Big ouch for Apple.

Is it "Liberal F****t Destroys Apple"?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is it "Liberal F****t Destroys Apple"?

:siren: Tim's Gay Agenda Exposed! :siren:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The funny thing is this will have 0 impact on Apples' bottom line.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The funny thing is this will have 0 impact on Apples' bottom line.

;)

I hope 8.0.2 comes out today because these 8.0 bugs are crazy and annoying in more than 10 ways. Like, at least 11 ways these shits suck.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW, restoring a 8.0.1 backup on a 8.0.0 device does not work. Wonder if I’ll be able to restore it when 8.0.2 is out or if the backup is completely shot, not that it matters for me because luckily I still have a backup from yesterday.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Lifehacker says disabling iCloud and resyncing fixes things until 8.0.2 comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I want the wallpaper on that phone.

Me too.