Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh I can think of a question for him, alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why are you reading work email at 8.40 in the evening?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Dick Trauma posted:

I received this email at 8:40pm last night from our head of construction:

:smithicide:

250 million dollars, please note, inflationary rate is assumed to be 100000% for the next 10 years, so $250000000000, not counting the insurance we're going to need when direct brain interfaces become a thing and we need to purchase health insurance so we can implant them in our employees. Please contact HR for their estimates on what this insurance will cost as it is out of IT scope.

Ask a stupid question . . .

(I have the very bad habit of making it extremely obvious when I've mentally checked out of a lovely job.)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dick Trauma posted:

Good news, he clearly has no idea what you're doing so you can tell him whatever you want! :confuoot:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Collateral Damage posted:

Actually I didn't see it until around 0440 this morning because I went to bed early to make up for the terrible sleep I've been having. I started three different angry email replies before giving up, realizing there's no way I can win by attacking the dumbness of such a request. It's dumb because that's what this company brings out of people and I would be the lone voice crying in the wilderness.

Instead I decided to approach it from the angle that if I were good at my job I'd want to know all of this, even if I couldn't get him his specifics he wants on such a short deadline. I gave him my best answer about the technology trends in our industry and in general, focusing on the availability of high speed, high capacity networking anywhere someone might want to plug something in. Even LED lightbulbs can be networked now so I think the best thing he can do is be ready to install fiber out the wazoo. Wired or wireless sooner or later everything needs a backbone (like our management.) So I chose to focus on that, since if I could predict paradigm shifts I wouldn't be working at yet another crappy I.T. job.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Conversation I just had.

:clint: We have to go back tot the old paper process to provision load balancers. Our provisioning tool is broken for load balancers.
:eng101: We can't do that. If the load balancer information isn't in the provisioning tool, they won't pass QA
:clint: Oh! You can still put the information into the provisioning tool.
:eng101: If you can put the provisioning information for load balancers into the provisioning tool, why are we going to the paper process?
:clint: Because the provisioning tool is broken for load balancing provisioning.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

You provided them with reputable vendors that your bosses rejected, what were you supposed to do, tell them, "No, I'm buying them from here with your money anyway?"

Do not accept sole responsibility for this. Oh, they can punish you, but don't let them make you admit you are to blame. At most, you maybe could have pushed back harder on them rejecting your initial vendors, but going to battle with your bosses over something that minor was not worth the risk of bruising some manager's fragile ego. This poo poo happens, it's the cost of doing business. And seriously, they only lost 50 bucks? They should be celebrating.

Disciplinary action for not being perfect is utterly ridiculous, and if a company pulled that poo poo on me I would tell them exactly that.

I'm most likely going to take this on the chin regardless of anything I do to push back, etc. My boss is chinese and the only good option is the cheap option and money lost is money lost.
But at this point i'm pretty ready to :yotj:

hanyolo posted:

If it makes you feel better I got a written warning once because I forgot to put a newly provisioned server in our IP "database".xslx and one of my less proficient co-workers decided to just allocate it to a new server without pinging the IP or checking the ARP table causing a conflict and an outage.

I'm going to be hit for the same reason you did. No documentation!

Simpleboo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 24, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I read work email to kill time while my other computer logs in so I can browse the internet.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Just say a bunch of bullshit you will have killed yourself by the time it matters.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Simpleboo posted:

I'm most likely going to take this on the chin regardless of anything I do to push back, etc. My boss is chinese and the only good option is the cheap option and money lost is money lost.
But at this point i'm pretty ready to :yotj:

Yeah, like I said, you can't stop them from punishing you if they are set on that, but you can refuse to take responsibility, and tell them that it's bullshit and express to them that they are pissing you off and making you disgruntled. It doesn't matter that it probably won't change anything.

Dick Trauma posted:

Instead I decided to approach it from the angle that if I were good at my job I'd want to know all of this, even if I couldn't get him his specifics he wants on such a short deadline. I gave him my best answer about the technology trends in our industry and in general, focusing on the availability of high speed, high capacity networking anywhere someone might want to plug something in. Even LED lightbulbs can be networked now so I think the best thing he can do is be ready to install fiber out the wazoo. Wired or wireless sooner or later everything needs a backbone (like our management.) So I chose to focus on that, since if I could predict paradigm shifts I wouldn't be working at yet another crappy I.T. job.

I don't understand why you continue to make this kind of effort for anyone who has treated you the way they have treated you without apologizing for it on their knees.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 24, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

I read work email all the time. I hate being surprised, so I stay on top of things. No, checking my work email is not work - I am comfortable with this. I understand we all like to act like we bill our companies for everything we do, but reading email is not work, it's just what you do during commercials while you waste your life on the couch.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'd honestly reply to DickTramua's email with "Yes and one million dollars".

Am I the only goon that works on AS/400s? I'm sick of having work with SYSVAL, WRKOUTQ, STRPRTWRT, Fix Central, PTFs... :suicide:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Sometimes I go on to one to do stuff, but I hate it and the syntax

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Am I the only goon that works on AS/400s? I'm sick of having work with SYSVAL, WRKOUTQ, STRPRTWRT, Fix Central, PTFs... :suicide:

I erase any interaction I have with AS/400s. You can have fun with those.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Sickening posted:

Doesn't sound like a big deal. You just need to look into your crystal ball and figure out the upgrades needed for the next 10 years.
It's not that big a deal, figure server replacements every 3 years, desktops every 4, and network stuff (ASA, firewall, internet router etc) every 4 years, guess at a cost per each. Look at the storage growth over the last couple of years and project. Then ask them what the overall company growth rate will be, factor that in on additional equipment, storage, additional servers etc. Put it all in on big spreadsheet and your done. What sounds like a crazy and unreasonable request on the surface is not that big of deal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tab8715 posted:

I replace software systems that often reside on AS/400s. Does that count? (It probably doesn't.)

this thread makes my Java rant seem somewhat trite. Thanks for cheering me up, SA!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I read work email all the time. I hate being surprised, so I stay on top of things. No, checking my work email is not work - I am comfortable with this. I understand we all like to act like we bill our companies for everything we do, but reading email is not work, it's just what you do during commercials while you waste your life on the couch.
To each his own. Work/life separation is important for me to feel that I can relax when I get home. Unless I have agreed to do something after hours I completely disconnect from work when I go home.

I don't even have a way to access my work email from home, I don't have a work cellphone, and there's a very select few people at work who know my personal number. I give out my desk phone number, which during work hours is forwarded to my personal phone.

This is encouraged by my boss, who follows the same principles.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

porktree posted:

What sounds like a crazy and unreasonable request on the surface is not that big of deal.

My issue with this email is not what he's asking for, it's that he sent it around 9pm at night with a deadline of noon the next day, including timeline and costs adjusted for inflation. I don't think something like this can be done properly in that short a period of time, or rather I don't think I can do this properly in that short a period of time.

EDIT: I didn't make it clear but there's more to this than just normal office equipment like PCs for worker drones and such due to the nature of the industry I'm in. We're talking about a location that runs upward of a million square feet!

Che Delilas posted:

I don't understand why you continue to make this kind of effort for anyone who has treated you the way they have treated you without apologizing for it on their knees.

I didn't do it for them, I did it for me. Instead of being angry all day I'd rather try to neutralize it, and it worked. I have spent so long in negative work environments I need to be careful it doesn't become ingrained in my psyche. Although most people are ratfuckers not all of them are, and if I somehow wind up working for decent folk I don't want to forget what that's like.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 24, 2014

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Simpleboo posted:

Thought I'd share this tonight as I can't wait to get reamed in the rear end tomorrow morning:
Needed two office 2010 keys back in May/June and suggested we buy the keys off of Newegg, Amazon or another online store I'm familiar with. I get told by management to find it cheaper. I can only get the price down a little on somewhat reputable sites so they tell me to get it lower. I find a site that's shady but says they're an authorized Microsoft dealer and buy two keys for 2010 standard which both activate successfully and are used for months with no problems. Skip forward to this week and I'm informed the keys are counterfeit by Microsoft reps. Great. Email the VP to get a purchase approved and she goes off about disciplinary action on whoever chose the site because more research should have been done, etc. So tomorrow I get to provide evidence that its my fault and get hosed for it. Don't mind the fact that I recently saved the company 3k annually by switching helpdesks we use. Nevermind the fact that I work hard. I hosed up and two office keys totalling $50 are counterfeit so disciplinary action is in order.

TL;DR I'm a dumbass and didn't just buy office 2010 keys for the correct price.

I have had a bad appraisal before for refusing to play fast and loose with MS licensing. I was even told that I was too honest as if that is a bad thing for an employee to be.
A few months after I left they got audited by MS, they got pinged for having two servers pushed directly from testing to production using technet licenses. Partially my fault on that one, they arrived from the parent company with these licenses on. I configured them for testing etc then left, didn't leave a big sticky note or similar anyway warning about licensing situation. Although the techs at the parent company were well aware, they didn't tell anyone else either. Next person comes in and says, yep they look ready and put them in place without double checking the licensing.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Tab8715 posted:

I work around an AS/400!

Ynglaur posted:

I replace software systems that often reside on AS/400s. Does that count? (It probably doesn't.)

this thread makes my Java rant seem somewhat trite. Thanks for cheering me up, SA!

You're our aging AS/400 analyst's worst nightmare. He's getting close to retirement and he's deathly afraid we're going to replace ours and he'll be out of a job.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

hihifellow posted:

I work around an AS/400!

You're our aging AS/400 analyst's worst nightmare. He's getting close to retirement and he's deathly afraid we're going to replace ours and he'll be out of a job.

Won't happen. My clients can't find people who know AS/400's fast enough. Do you want to make a lot of money writing code? Learn COBOL. It's not a fun language like C# or Python or whatever, but there is a huge demand in the marketplace for it right now. Nobody replaces 40 years of code overnight. They don't even do it in 40 years.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

mllaneza posted:

We were approaching time to migrate to a new version of Creative Suite and OS X all at once.
My boss assigned one of the guys at the home office to coordinate.
That guy and I had a chat and decided that the best way to go was to make a master image, use a bunch of Firewire drives, and just blast through the process.
This would still leave my satellite office a version behind on Creative Suite for four months.
I write an email to my boss detailing the plan and letting him know that buying two more FW HDs would save money in my overtime rate.
Boss flies from the home office to my office to yell at me for executing a migration on my own initiative. Not yelled == raised voice, yelled.
I send him a copy of the email where he told me to do what so and so said regarding the migration along with our planning exchange, and emphasized that I had only asked for the purchase of less than $500 worth of external drives for a migration he had told me to do.
I hear about "upgraded a whole office without permission and therefor cannot be trusted" for two annual reviews.

gently caress that guy. He's the same guy who "hoped" that the finance guy in our office would bring me up to speed on the new Sarbannes-Oxley controls he had just put in place. Like, didn't tell me himself, provide a copy of the documentation, or ASK the CFO to tell me. Hoped. SOX. WTF.

Did you talk to HR about the hostile workplace?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

To each his own. Work/life separation is important for me to feel that I can relax when I get home. Unless I have agreed to do something after hours I completely disconnect from work when I go home.

I don't even have a way to access my work email from home, I don't have a work cellphone, and there's a very select few people at work who know my personal number. I give out my desk phone number, which during work hours is forwarded to my personal phone.

This is encouraged by my boss, who follows the same principles.

My boss tells me not to do silly hours or work out of hours at home and I tell my staff they are not obliged to either. All of us still do and we've accomplished a great deal quite quickly so it's not all bad.

I still do quite a lot of long hours/work from home and I generally read my blackberry during evenings and weekends.

Partly because I can't VPN into my network so I like to be doing stuff when I'm on site and partly because I like to be a bit of a know it all.

Partly I just enjoy my work!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't do it for them, I did it for me. Instead of being angry all day I'd rather try to neutralize it, and it worked. I have spent so long in negative work environments I need to be careful it doesn't become ingrained in my psyche. Although most people are ratfuckers not all of them are, and if I somehow wind up working for decent folk I don't want to forget what that's like.

Fair enough. I don't react to this kind of thing by being angry all day either by the way, instead I just stop caring about their problems.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh if I could stop caring altogether that would be cool! :cool:

Alas I'm terrible at not caring.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh if I could stop caring altogether that would be cool! :cool:

Alas I'm terrible at not caring.

Me to. Me to.
If I could quit caring, I could quit stressing so much. But, alas, that is not to be.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Well if it's a Capitol plan he needs, tell him the blueprints are probably in the National Archives. Unless it's the state capitol, in which case they're probably in Sacramento (you're in California, right?). I know they're doing some major renovation/restoration on the dome in Washington DC, so that's going to be pretty expensive, and will likely take 10 years to accomplish. Aside from that just tell him everything's moving to the butt and all IT costs will be going to 0 soon because the cloud is free.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm a big blue tech and I regularly work on the hardware. They're really wonderful, wonderful systems from a hardware perspective. I don't do too much green screen work on them, but I would *love* to do more. They're so sensibly designed.

e: I'm just a moron.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 25, 2014

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Ynglaur posted:

Won't happen. My clients can't find people who know AS/400's fast enough. Do you want to make a lot of money writing code? Learn COBOL. It's not a fun language like C# or Python or whatever, but there is a huge demand in the marketplace for it right now. Nobody replaces 40 years of code overnight. They don't even do it in 40 years.

That's what I keep telling him, but he's old and doesn't want to lose the job he's had for almost 20 years.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

internet jerk posted:

Did he get yelled at for his part or what?

Yeah same punishment as me :v:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Jedi425 posted:

Ice-T as Drizzt Do'urden would be an experience, that's for drat sure.

Listening to Ice-T pronounce sword is an experience.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:downs: : Hi it doesn't look like we have (some services) set up for our new client
:what: : ...
:downs: : Did nobody tell you they needed set up?
:what: : No.
:downs: : Well we need them set up right now. We're on a call with them right now and it needs to be set up immediately.
:what: : :sigh:

I only got news that we brought on this client that morning (because of a request to add the branding images). It'd be nice if anybody bothered to keep me up to date.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Pissing me off: me. Guess who had a new bee moment and declared a one character variable as char(2). :blush:

It broke a report for a huge client. The friggin vp was on the email chain asking what went wrong and how will we prevent this from happening again. Gah.

drat you, trailing whitespace.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meanieface posted:

Pissing me off: me. Guess who had a new bee moment and declared a one character variable as char(2). :blush:

It broke a report for a huge client. The friggin vp was on the email chain asking what went wrong and how will we prevent this from happening again. Gah.

Not checking string lengths? A shameful programmer.

Edit*

String[strlen(string)+1] = '\0';

Always always always.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 25, 2014

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

meanieface posted:

It's a slippery, slippery slope. The path to Hell:

0. I guess I should run the code and check for correct output before I deploy it and let users know it's ready

1. Hey, maybe having an environment other than production that I can run stuff in is a good idea

2. Woah, I totally ran this in dev fine, but now it's blowing up in production, but I don't have any logging to figure out what's up

3. Man, I broke a ton of poo poo during development just now and I can't figure out what's going on, maybe version control is a good idea so I can start over

4. Every time I make a change, I break something I had tested before! Maybe I should give those unit tests a go

5. I'm totally swamped with requests, maybe I should get something to track and prioritize them and then bring on more developers

6. Testing my own code leaves me blind, maybe I should do code reviews with other developers

7. There are problems that aren't apparent until you look at a systems level, let's hire dedicated QA people

8. I keep making dumb mistakes when I configure production, maybe I should automate configuration management and make my application easy to deploy

9. There are too many tasks for the developers to keep straight, let's add product owners, scrum masters

10. Now the tasks are getting abstracted and becoming big and nebulous, let's add architects to do large scale design

11. The product owners and architects care too much about their own product and can't look at the big picture, let's have more meetings to make sure everyone's interests are aligned

12. The scrum masters are starting to attempt to take over every meeting they get invited to because that's really all they have in life, while being simultaneously misinformed and out of touch with everyone else.

13. A deliverable deadline wasn't met due to a team being sidetracked by a different issue. Burndown charts are now the most valuable metric of a team's usefulness.

14. There are too many engineers to keep straight, let's bring in engineering managers to handle HR, but maybe they should be technical too so they can attempt to play at being architect when they're not giving performance reviews or attending meetings

14. Communication is breaking down between development teams, let's have a scrum of scrums to solve this

15. Even with scrum of scrums, inter-team dependency communication failure resulted in a failure to test integrated products until they were live. Project managers have now been hired to work with product owners to identify cross-product risks and dependencies

15. Development teams aren't attending scrum of scrums and the scrum masters have declared blood feuds against each other. Let's have only the team leads (who will have ever decreasing/siloing knowledge of the teams work due to the meetings they attend) meet separately to have technical knowledge transfer meetings

16. A product owner understated risks of deploying a product and the customer was very unhappy. Let's have daily all-hands meetings about this until the product is working again

17. A developer with too many privileges accidentally logged into a prod box and broke it. Let's create a new team to manage and support production deployment only.

18. Production support took 4 weeks to deploy a new product, which would normally take a couple of hours. Production support blames lack of documentation. Technical writers hired.

19. A bug involving inter-dependencies between 5 different systems makes it to production and blows everything up. Mandatory change control forms with line manager approval required.

20. Line managers are giving approval too quickly and due to another bug that slipped through, a change control committee has now been appointed. The committee meets once weekly and no commits will be allowed without their approval.

21. A bug still make it to production. Two new layers of deployment have been added, and the tiers are now DEV-Staging-UAT-Prod. Change control is required for either UAT or Prod. All changes must exist in each environment for at least 2 weeks.

22. Someone incorrectly filled out a change control form but was approved anyway. Production is down, but there is no way to fix this until two months from now. We've lost 90% of our customers and have to fire everyone but a single team working on an unrelated project.

23. The remaining team's morale has hit rock bottom and they have taken the sole remaining scrum master hostage after rigging the building with explosives. SWAT is called in.

24. Everyone dies.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Totally unrealistic. No developer ever enacts step 6.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bravo. :golfclap:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That was amazing, did you just write that off the cuff? I love everything about it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Somewhere Fred Brooks is weeping and he doesn't know why.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
That was glorious. Thank you for making my life more pleasant.

(And the stupid thing made it through third party verification and peer review. Nobody ran that one report in test. Including me. :sigh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ratbert90 posted:

Not checking string lengths? A shameful programmer.

Edit*

String[strlen(string)+1] = '\0';

Always always always.

I want to believe that you know how strlen works and this is a troll post.

Besides, never not strnlen :colbert: