Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

Also the park does not completely shut down due to rain.. lightning though within ten miles I think triggers management into OMG SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING NOW!!

Only rides with portions of the track outside. The indoor rides remain open unless they need to enact a rain shelter protocol (which has happened once since I've been working here. I played Heads Up Disney Edition with guests for about an hour)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Only rides with portions of the track outside. The indoor rides remain open unless they need to enact a rain shelter protocol (which has happened once since I've been working here. I played Heads Up Disney Edition with guests for about an hour)

They actually do that at MK? At EPCOT, I was just encouraged to move people out into the rain and lightening.

Not the most fun gig in the world.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Roar posted:

They actually do that at MK? At EPCOT, I was just encouraged to move people out into the rain and lightening.

Not the most fun gig in the world.

it's rare. It basically has to do with the exit of the ride being blocked. If that's happening, and we can't get people to clear out, we may have no choice but not to send the ride since that means we are only adding more people to a capacity issue.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Looking forward to seeing MK on thursday!

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
So some retard on the mine train thought throwing handfuls of glitter in the air during the ride would be a great idea. My brother and his friend caught most of it right in their eyes. The lady knew she hosed up and sprinted away from them when she got off. On the upside, the Halloween thing was really cool and the train only had a ten minute wait.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

So some retard on the mine train thought throwing handfuls of glitter in the air during the ride would be a great idea. My brother and his friend caught most of it right in their eyes. The lady knew she hosed up and sprinted away from them when she got off. On the upside, the Halloween thing was really cool and the train only had a ten minute wait.

Guests do the weirdest things on our rides.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Just got back from our two night stay at Port Orleans French Quarter.

- First off, I completely forgot to take pictures of anything.

- Secondly, I completely get now why everyone here seems to love French Quarter so much. My wife and I have stayed at several DVC villas, and we actually like the moderate POFQ more than any of them. Except Animal Kingdom Kidani Village still has the best pool I've actually been to. If the rumors of DVC taking it over are true at all, that would be one I'd buy points at.

Now on to other stuff...

- EPCOT was so awesome at park open on Saturday. Cool weather. Nobody there. So for two hours, my wife and I just did whatever we wanted. Although we hit up some of the Food & Wine kiosks and did pin trading, so we never made it to Maelstrom for one final ride. I'm not too worried because I'm not that attached to it.

- However, I did ride the Mexico ride for the very first time, and what a waste of time. I felt like I got off that boat knowing less about Mexico than when I got on.

- After riding Test Track, I got a beer at Japan and walked to Boardwalk to watch the Florida/Bama game. Amid an amry of Florida fans, I was branded "the loud Bama fan" and drank way more than I should have. I regret nothing. That was fun, and I really love the Boardwalk area in general.

- Magic Kingdom in offseason is just so much better.

- We used our DVC to get to the Top of the World Lounge at Contemporary Bay Lake Tower and watch fireworks. That was awesome. I got a whole new perspective on the fireworks. I didn't realize they came from so many directions, but it was incredible. I did post a video of that to my Instagram account.

- We went to Downtown Disney for a little while on Sunday. Nothing to report there other than some of the new buildings are really taking shape, and you can finally walk to Marketplace from Saratoga Springs over the new bridge. And the Marketplace boat dock is functioning in it's new spot behind Rain Forest Cafe.

- Lastly, we went to Blizzard Beach for three hours this morning, and I think it's marginally better than Typhoon Lagoon. Although I was surprised to see so many women wearing thongs in the park. Didn't expect that. I just they would have been women I would have liked to seen dressed that way. Oh well.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Guests do the weirdest things on our rides.
I'm sorry, your post got cut off before you could give a detailed list of examples. :colbert:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

- We used our DVC to get to the Top of the World Lounge at Contemporary Bay Lake Tower and watch fireworks. That was awesome. I got a whole new perspective on the fireworks. I didn't realize they came from so many directions, but it was incredible. I did post a video of that to my Instagram account.

Those fireworks that were going off way in the back.. my house is about a mile north of that as the crow flies. *BOOM*

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

kinmik posted:

I'm sorry, your post got cut off before you could give a detailed list of examples. :colbert:

It's Disneyland-focused but if you like stupid Cast/Guest stories, I'd recommend checking out Mouse Tales.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

Those fireworks that were going off way in the back.. my house is about a mile north of that as the crow flies. *BOOM*

Holy poo poo. I think that would drive me crazy. If the wind is blowing just right, does it sound like your house is being shelled?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The wind and if the cloud deck is low you can go outside and from the front porch I can look out and just over the tree line watch downtown Baghdad getting bombed all over again on the opening night of Desert Storm. When the big shells go off on those nights things have fallen off the walls.

So just over those trees is boom.

and for perspective we are the top arrow, the fireworks bunker is the bottom arrow. Not a whole lot to separate us. Now feel bad for those two apartment complexes right at the edge of the cast member parking. Those guys have it rough.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
So the latest big rumor seems to be that Hollywood Studios is going to be re-branded?

Although if there is truth to that, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. DHS is only a full-day park on a first-time visit. It could use fresh ideas more than EPCOT right now.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Doronin posted:

So the latest big rumor seems to be that Hollywood Studios is going to be re-branded?

Although if there is truth to that, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. DHS is only a full-day park on a first-time visit. It could use fresh ideas more than EPCOT right now.

I'm happy the backlot tour is dead. That thing was horrible when I rode it last year. It had lost so much of what initially made it interesting over the years, I'm glad they finally killed it. It also took up a huge area of land that'll be great for whatever expansion they decide to jam in there. Now they just need to kill Lights, Motor, Action and Streets of America.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Happitoo posted:

...Now they just need to kill Lights, Motor, Action and Streets of America.

I heard that was part of the plan. Lights, Motor, Action, I mean.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
They should turn it into star wars land and put Frozen stuff in the Hoth area instead of epcot

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They should build a walkway from the main park into the swampy area across the from the parking lot and send everyone who wants to see frozen attractions in there.. minus any attractions. If we are lucky the wild animals will pick them off if the mosquitoes don't.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happitoo posted:

I'm happy the backlot tour is dead. That thing was horrible when I rode it last year. It had lost so much of what initially made it interesting over the years, I'm glad they finally killed it. It also took up a huge area of land that'll be great for whatever expansion they decide to jam in there. Now they just need to kill Lights, Motor, Action and Streets of America.
I rode this two weeks ago, it's still there.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tunga posted:

I rode this two weeks ago, it's still there.

For three more days at least.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Disney should buy the rights to the Avatar (Korra and Last Airbender) series and put water benders in Hoth... with Elsa and Anna

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Happitoo posted:

Agreed. Backlot Tour used to be awesome way back when, in the olden days that Disney MGM Studios actually functioned as film production studio. On the Backlot Tour, I remember I got to see a filming of a WCW wrestling show during the days it was syndicated, then on another visit, I got to see them working on a lovely old Hulk Hogan show called Thunder in Paradise (he fought bad guys with a speed boat). There also used to be another tour that you would walk through and watch them making Disney animated movies. In 1994 during one of my visits, they were drawing the Hunchback of Notre Dame. But anyway, yeah, the Backlot Tour has been a monumental waste of space for a very long time now.

Lincoln posted:

I heard that was part of the plan. Lights, Motor, Action, I mean.

That's definitely happening.

demonR6 posted:

They should build a walkway from the main park into the swampy area across the from the parking lot and send everyone who wants to see frozen attractions in there.. minus any attractions. If we are lucky the wild animals will pick them off if the mosquitoes don't.

That would decrease crowding so mu-... yes, this needs to happen.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hollywood Studios is basically getting a California Adventure style overhaul, slowly but surely.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

Agreed. Backlot Tour used to be awesome way back when, in the olden days that Disney MGM Studios actually functioned as film production studio. On the Backlot Tour, I remember I got to see a filming of a WCW wrestling show during the days it was syndicated, then on another visit, I got to see them working on a lovely old Hulk Hogan show called Thunder in Paradise (he fought bad guys with a speed boat). There also used to be another tour that you would walk through and watch them making Disney animated movies. In 1994 during one of my visits, they were drawing the Hunchback of Notre Dame. But anyway, yeah, the Backlot Tour has been a monumental waste of space for a very long time now.

Did you ever get to go when they had the street with all the houses? I remember that is where Osborne Family Lights first started when it came to the park. Then again I also worked there when it was still MGM a year after opening. God that was freaking crazy packed in such a small park too.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

Did you ever get to go when they had the street with all the houses? I remember that is where Osborne Family Lights first started when it came to the park. Then again I also worked there when it was still MGM a year after opening. God that was freaking crazy packed in such a small park too.

Yes. I remember my mom and dad drove me down to Orlando in 1989. Somewhere, I still have all the pictures we took on that trip. Anyhow, I remember they had some odd meet and greets. I had my picture taken at MGM with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in front of the turtle van, and then met Tom Wopat and John Schneider, the Dukes of Hazard, who were there on the same day for some reason. But yes, I do remember the street with the houses. At that point, Star Wars hadn't been finished yet.

Thinking back on it, there really wasn't much in the park back then.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 25, 2014

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I remember a tour that had you walking above(?) a set they made for a short film they made just for the park starring Bette Midler. I just don't remember where; was it by where the pirates experience is?

Also looks like I'm going to be able to make it to the last day of maelstrom. Sadly the fast pass for the last couple of hours have run out. Guess I'll wait in line for the last few minutes before they cut the off.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Frozen attractions are about as smart as Avatar land. Unless like somebody else said it's Elsa and Anna learning how to waterbend. I'd be on board with that.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

demonR6 posted:

Yes, I remember that. They used to have the house from The Golden Girls. My sister and I were very impressed because we used to watch that show all the time.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
:wookie:
Major Imagineering brass spotted touring DHS:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ood-studios.htm

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
HAHAHA I see my in-law who is in the Disney secret service arm in one of those pics. Whenever top brass like that is in the park they work the security detail. I will have to send him this pic.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

John Lassater is at Disney World today and I am not. Aww come on, fate.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Yes I was right!! I saw a guy at the loading point for Tower a couple days ago and noticed his badge looked like my friends (who does pricing analysis). I guessed it was an Imagineer since he was deep in a ride, and was right!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

John Lasseter has on a solid color shirt. Didn't recognize him.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hey it's official, the Backlot Studio Tour at Hollywood Stuidos is gone at the end of the week. *POOF*

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Make an Up themed dark ride out of it somehow. (It'll be more Toy Story stuff)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Nah itll be Carsland

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Make an Up themed dark ride out of it somehow. (It'll be more Toy Story stuff)

Better yet, make it a special ticket only area! Another way to extort even more money from park guests.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Better yet, make it a special ticket only area! Another way to extort even more money from park guests.

Well gosh in that case I hope it's a Frozen area, we don't even have one of those yet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlueBayou posted:

Nah itll be Carsland
gently caress the haters, I loved Carsland.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Tunga posted:

gently caress the haters, I loved Carsland.

I wasnt trying to imply that's bad, I was just trying to make a guess.

Carsland is great and very popular, so why not recreate it in Orlando?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

I wasnt trying to imply that's bad, I was just trying to make a guess.

Carsland is great and very popular, so why not recreate it in Orlando?

Because it's already in California and it's got one good ride and two real dumb ones. You aren't going to make people visit multiple parks if they all have the same thing, basically.

The themeing is insane though and I was really impressed by that. Just not by the actual rides (RSR needs to be longer, but the ride itself is great).