Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another fun fact about canada is right now it's the number #1 provider of US oil imports, it's even double Saudi Arabia.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Haven't Canada and Mexico pretty much always been the actual main providers of US oil imports?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Everything's up so buy cars and good too imo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

point of return posted:

Haven't Canada and Mexico pretty much always been the actual main providers of US oil imports?

Canada and Latin America but yeah. Saudi was a significant part for a while though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This article is amazing

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102026195

quote:

The stats don't lie; Millennials may not be as in to homes, cars, and jobs, but they are all-in when it comes to the lifetime commitment of tattoos.

Millennials are much more likely to have one or more tattoos than any other generation, and did you really need a survey to tell you that?

And hey, tattoos aren't cheap. And the time and money it takes to get one removed is even more costly. Clearly millennials have the capacity to connect permanently to something.

I'm not a shrink, so I can't prove that the explosion in tattoo commitment is a classic substitute for the other more meaningful commitments millennials should be making. But draw your own conclusions.

I want to strangle this guy. From his twitter:

quote:

Reading the comments and Tweets about my Millennial column is like listening to someone objecting the truth at their drug intervention.Every excuse in the book not to get married, have kids, and buy a house all amount to nothing. Take a risk, it'll make you a better person.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 24, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Right, the economy is the way it is because everyone's getting sleeves instead of houses.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Rime, this one's for you.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2014/09/23/1980722/fix-housing-finance-fix-the-economy/

quote:

Mortgage booms lead to greater post-crisis drags on growth. These negative effects on the pace of the recovery are present both in normal recessions and in financial crisis recessions. Since WWII both normal and financial recessions tend to be considerably deeper and the recovery much slower when the preceding boom saw a strong expansion of mortgage debt.

Non-mortgage credit booms, by contrast, have virtually no effect on the path of the recession nowadays.

quote:

All of this fits with what we have learned about the boom and bust of the 2000s from Atif Mian and Amir Sufi, but we also found some intriguing connections to a paper presented by Edward E Leamer at the 2007 Jackson Hole Economic Symposium called “Housing Is the Business Cycle.” It isn’t perfect — Leamer claimed that “home prices are very sticky downward” and discounted the importance of the wealth effect and home equity withdrawals — but it contains some interesting findings that can mesh with those of Jorda, Schularick, and Taylor. (Leamer’s suggestions for how the Fed should interpret its statutory mandate, on pages 210-211, are also worth reading.)

I started reading Mian and Sufi last night. Good book so far.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

My cousin sold his house in a commuter suburb of Melbourne for 3.5 million a year ago. It was just a normal family house.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

sbaldrick posted:

My cousin sold his house in a commuter suburb of Melbourne for 3.5 million a year ago. It was just a normal family house.

Cool. Good to hear he cashed out. Please tell me he didn't buy another larger house.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

triplexpac posted:

This article is amazing

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102026195

I want to strangle this guy. From his twitter:

My favorite thing about people like this is he doesn't realize people he would think are respectable people have tattoos, like George V who had fully body tattoos.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Cool. Good to hear he cashed out. Please tell me he didn't buy another larger house.

No, he was retired and moved to his cottage. He thought the price was insane but didn't stop him.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Jesus, at least $3.5M gets you a goddamn house well within the city limits, and in a nice area to boot, in Vancouver.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

My favorite thing about people like this is he doesn't realize people he would think are respectable people have tattoos, like George V who had fully body tattoos.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sbaldrick posted:

Well those people are okay because even though they had tattoos they MANNED UP and bought houses, unlike our generation who is too chicken

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/05/vancouver-landlord-tenant-pet-policy_n_3394118.html

Ok this is awesome.

Soon you might not have the right to refuse to rent your domicile to someone who has pets. The city of vancouver will oblige your amateur landlording rear end to let some dumb rear end motherfucker let his dog poo poo and piss all over your property.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That actually seems really lovely. One of the big reasons we moved into our place was because the building was 100% pet and smoker free. Like I'm all for lovely amateur landlords getting hosed but owning a pet is a stupid luxury not some human right. It's a luxury that quite often destroys apartments and can have serious health issues for many people. Also gently caress barking dogs. And double gently caress the flooding damage risk for fish tanks, those are rightfully banned just like water beds.

If they want to go after some actual human rights poo poo ban age discrimination for housing unless it's an actual care home.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Can Harper hurry up and abolish the CBC?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/free-money-for-all-could-jumpstart-the-economy-don-pittis-1.2775647

Some loving retard baby boomer is suggesting devaluation to kick start the economy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

That actually seems really lovely. One of the big reasons we moved into our place was because the building was 100% pet and smoker free. Like I'm all for lovely amateur landlords getting hosed but owning a pet is a stupid luxury not some human right. It's a luxury that quite often destroys apartments and can have serious health issues for many people. Also gently caress barking dogs. And double gently caress the flooding damage risk for fish tanks, those are rightfully banned just like water beds.

If they want to go after some actual human rights poo poo ban age discrimination for housing unless it's an actual care home.

Yeah, some friends bought a condo that had a no kids rule. Lo and behold, they had kids and were forced to sell.

Your loving dog is literally of higher value than children in Vancouver.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, some friends bought a condo that had a no kids rule. Lo and behold, they had kids and were forced to sell.

Really? In Victoria there was a case a while ago where some people moved into a 30+ building or some arbitrary age, had a kid, and won their case. You can say no to people with kids, but you can't force people not to have them. Also kids are fine, we've got a bunch of kids in our building and they're never annoying and kid-sounds are generally entertaining. The group of interchangeable 20-something girls who act and talk like they're 15 and have loud gossip sessions into the wee hours of the night with all their windows open so everyone on that side of the building and the street can hear them loudly go on and on about the exact list of drinks they and everyone around them had on the weekend and who kissed which boy and which boy likes which girl and who's cheating on who, those people can go gently caress themselves.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/free-money-for-all-could-jumpstart-the-economy-don-pittis-1.2775647

Some loving retard baby boomer is suggesting devaluation to kick start the economy.

Basic Income is the only way we're not going to end up in Neo-Serfdom within twenty years. :colbert:

Also the pet thing is good, very good, but like all rental laws it will have zero enforcement and thus be a meaningless gesture. There's no way to prove that a landlord refused to rent to you because you have a pet, after all.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, but then you probably shouldn't buy a no kids condo if you are going to have a kid. It isn't like it was your only option.

It would be nice if the restriction on pets wasn't as widespread as it is but since that is a provincial jurisdiction I am not sure what Vancouver can do about it anyways. Other than getting people to vote for you on issues that aren't under municipal control.

Isn't that a minimum income scheme finally getting air time in media?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rime posted:

Basic Income is the only way we're not going to end up in Neo-Serfdom within twenty years. :colbert:

Also the pet thing is good, very good, but like all rental laws it will have zero enforcement and thus be a meaningless gesture. There's no way to prove that a landlord refused to rent to you because you have a pet, after all.

Why is it good, why is having a potentially noisy destructive animal that many people are allergic to a good thing to enshrine in law? If pets are a human right why not smoking? Or just loud music. No rules, anarchy! Cats and dogs living together in state enshrined tenancy laws!!!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

Why is it good, why is having a potentially noisy destructive animal that many people are allergic to a good thing to enshrine in law? If pets are a human right why not smoking? Or just loud music. No rules, anarchy! Cats and dogs living together in state enshrined tenancy laws!!!

Landlords are brutally retarded fucks, and any law that erodes their massive sense of entitlement is one I can get behind. I'm in favor of a mandatory licensing program in order to be a landlord, in addition to municipalities having a sting unit which visits rental listings and massively fines the landlord for any violations of code they discover. "Your washer and dryer are outside in a leaky dirt-floored shack? That will be $10,000 please." :colbert:

Shockingly, if landlords actually paid to clean their filthy units after the tenants moved out, pets would be a complete non-issue. But that would cut into their precious profit margins.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

If you don't want to rent to a noisy destructive animal, you shouldn't be a landlord as that pretty much describes everyone on the planet.

Luckily I am hypo-allergenic though.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Rime posted:

Shockingly, if landlords actually paid to clean their filthy units after the tenants moved out, pets would be a complete non-issue. But that would cut into their precious profit margins.
It's the tenant's responsibility to leave the property in the same condition as it was when they first took residence (normal wear and tear excepted). If a landlord has good reason to believe that prospective tenants will not live up to that responsibility, it's entirely reasonable to refuse to deal with them.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

This pet thing is nothing but a symptom of the total amateurishness of landlording in BC, and the general dysfunction of the rental market in the province. It's absolutely not a problem in a place like Montreal - if you have a dog, you might need to provide a reference or two for it, but that's about the extent of it. Plenty of rental stock, mostly good tenancy laws, and no shortage of neighbours who'll keep you in line if any of your household's behaviour disturbs the peace (and leave you the gently caress alone otherwise) - which is what this is really all about.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I guess I just see the "no pets" rule as a protection for the tenants more than the landlord. The same as moving into a smoke-free building. I'd hate to move into a smoke-free building, specially if I had severe allergies, and then some loving "tenants rights" group makes it illegal to discriminate against smokers and suddenly my building is hell to live in. Yeah smoke free buildings have reduced fire risks and landlords don't have to deal with cleaning smoke smell, but the main benefit is for the residents not having to endure smoke in their building. This feels like a loss for both landlords and tenants. Not enough landlords allow pets? Don't get a pet then, it's not a human right. Just like smoking indoors isn't a human right, nor is playing loud music in the middle of the night. Landlords set those rules as the benefit to themselves and their tenants.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I wonder how much of the stringency and pearl-clutching in what tenants can and can't do in BC is a reflection of the fact that the buildings are generally made of wood glue and cornflakes, as opposed to real materials as you'll find in Eastern urban environments? (i.e. easy permeation of smoke and noise)

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You can neuter a dog or put it down if it does something really bad. A human is around forever, no matter how much of a waste of space he or she is, and will probably replicate too.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

I wonder how much of the stringency and pearl-clutching in what tenants can and can't do in BC is a reflection of the fact that the buildings are generally made of wood glue and cornflakes, as opposed to real materials as you'll find in Eastern urban environments? (i.e. easy permeation of smoke and noise)

Anecdotally, it is more predicated by the culture of the landlords in Vancouver. Though I have had old European dudes tell me that I wasn't allowed a dog too, he at least accepted that he needed to have told me that 4 months prior before me and my dog moved in. Not inquiring about pets and letting the landlord neglect to mention it is unfortunately the easiest method for finding a pet "friendly" rental out here. (The one time amateur landlords are ok is when they don't know the rules in your favour.)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hey gently caress you Baronjutter if you don't like pets. You're an inhuman monster now as far as I'm concerned.

The solution is really simple. Ban all pet-banning clauses in rental agreements. This works great in Ontario. Landlords still try to insert them anyways, but they're not legally enforceable. However, you can still complain if your neighbour has a loud or disruptive pet, just like you can complain about smoking, yelling, playing the loving drums at 2AM or whatever else neighbour can do to bother you. Oh and the comparison to smoking is retarded because other people's dogs and housecats that never leave the premises won't give you cancer. I don't know what kind of building you lived in where pets were trashing the place but letting landlords discriminate against pet owners is bullshit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love pets, I just hate barking dogs keeping me up all night because of lovely owners and lovely landlords that don't enforce rules. It's way easier to say "no pets" than actually kick some out out of a building because their dog barks every second they're not home. If noise complaints were handled by the city and not the landlord that would be another issue, but so many landlords just don't want to deal with anything, specially conflict between tenants and will often side with who ever isn't bothering them. A couple of my friends live in buildings that allow cats and they smell like cat piss and my wife gets all itchy (allergic) anytime she goes over. I've seen god drat kitty litter in the hallways. The problem of course is easily solved by better building codes and landlords actually cleaning and enforcing rules. My other friend's apartment has an ongoing problem with dog poo poo in the hallways and stairwells because people are too lazy to take their tiny toy breeds outside, specially in the winter, and just let them poo poo in the hallways. If you're renting at the lower end of the price spectrum pet-free buildings are always so much nicer. If you're going to be stuck in a poorly maintained slum it's just nice to eliminate pet poo poo and noises from the list of horrible issues, it's just one less thing to have to endure because your landlord is NOT going to be helping you. If you're allergic to the neighbour's cat, you end up having to move. If the neighbour's dog keeps you up all night, tough poo poo you end up having to move if you want to sleep. I don't want people driven from their homes because some idiot decided they just absolutely need an animal in their apartment.

I'd just love to see the building codes improved a bit so that smells and noises don't transfer from unit to unit so easily, but in most buildings here they do, so building-wide rules on things that can greatly effect fellow tenants are fine with me.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

I love pets, I just hate barking dogs keeping me up all night because of lovely owners and lovely landlords that don't enforce rules. It's way easier to say "no pets" than actually kick some out out of a building because their dog barks every second they're not home. If noise complaints were handled by the city and not the landlord that would be another issue, but so many landlords just don't want to deal with anything, specially conflict between tenants and will often side with who ever isn't bothering them. A couple of my friends live in buildings that allow cats and they smell like cat piss and my wife gets all itchy (allergic) anytime she goes over. I've seen god drat kitty litter in the hallways. The problem of course is easily solved by better building codes and landlords actually cleaning and enforcing rules. My other friend's apartment has an ongoing problem with dog poo poo in the hallways and stairwells because people are too lazy to take their tiny toy breeds outside, specially in the winter, and just let them poo poo in the hallways. If you're renting at the lower end of the price spectrum pet-free buildings are always so much nicer. If you're going to be stuck in a poorly maintained slum it's just nice to eliminate pet poo poo and noises from the list of horrible issues, it's just one less thing to have to endure because your landlord is NOT going to be helping you. If you're allergic to the neighbour's cat, you end up having to move. If the neighbour's dog keeps you up all night, tough poo poo you end up having to move if you want to sleep. I don't want people driven from their homes because some idiot decided they just absolutely need an animal in their apartment.

I'd just love to see the building codes improved a bit so that smells and noises don't transfer from unit to unit so easily, but in most buildings here they do, so building-wide rules on things that can greatly effect fellow tenants are fine with me.

Just kill the dog dude, geez.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Do you live in some kind of tragically-awful slum or housing project or something? The junkie houses from Trainspotting sound like more clean and orderly places than this. I've rented my whole adult life, almost always in apartment buildings with dogs (because owners always have them), and all over North America including Vancouver and Victoria. I have never seen anything remotely close to any of this sort of behaviour with pets that you're describing. I mean, making GBS threads in hallways? I've definitely heard dogs bark, but only as some sort of strange exception and not as this normal behaviour that you inevitably get whenever the first rentailure brings in a dog.

I'm forced to conclude you're subconsciously allowing the absolutely toxic, pearl-clutching BC culture of muh property values :bahgawd: colour your opinions.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

If it's written into the strata constitution or bylaws when you buy the property it's buyer beware, not hating on kids. Too bad for your friends but it's kind of on them for buying a place with that term in the strata.

eXXon posted:

Hey gently caress you Baronjutter if you don't like pets. You're an inhuman monster now as far as I'm concerned.

The solution is really simple. Ban all pet-banning clauses in rental agreements. This works great in Ontario. Landlords still try to insert them anyways, but they're not legally enforceable. However, you can still complain if your neighbour has a loud or disruptive pet, just like you can complain about smoking, yelling, playing the loving drums at 2AM or whatever else neighbour can do to bother you. Oh and the comparison to smoking is retarded because other people's dogs and housecats that never leave the premises won't give you cancer. I don't know what kind of building you lived in where pets were trashing the place but letting landlords discriminate against pet owners is bullshit.

Trying to position pet ownership as a human right is bullshit. You can't choose to be black or disabled but you sure as poo poo can choose to have a dog and deal with the consequences of ownership.

I would love to have a dog, and if both my wife and landlord agreed it would probably already be done, but there's literally no reason that I as a property owner should be forced to allow one in my property if I don't wish it, just as there's no law preventing a landlord from choosing not to rent to a person who they believe will cause unusual wear on their property, or because, based entirely on subjective factors, they think someone will be a bad tenant.

Re the pet comparison to smoking, condos by design are built in a way that draws air into common spaces from individual units, so you can't help but to eject animal particles into spaces you share with your neighbours. It's literally the same issue as smoking and why many newer condos seek to prohibit smoking even inside your own unit.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The solution is to ban the construction of the glass shitbox investment scams known as "condos" then, and rather than outlawing the millennia old cultural acceptance of animal companionship.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Baronjutter posted:

A couple of my friends live in buildings that allow cats and they smell like cat piss and my wife gets all itchy (allergic) anytime she goes over.

If your wife didn't want to have an allergic reaction, maybe she shouldn't have gone to those people's apartment. It's her own fault, really; she probably wanted to but changed her mind afterwards and just made up this story about allergies to cover up her regret. Really, the amount of false allergy claims is dispicably high.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If your wife didn't want to have an allergic reaction, maybe she shouldn't have gone to those people's apartment. It's her own fault, really; she probably wanted to but changed her mind afterwards and just made up this story about allergies to cover up her regret. Really, the amount of false allergy claims is dispicably high.

I am allergic to other people

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I was just watching Property Virgin and the host / realtor was going on and on and on about how the client lacked vision because she kept thinking about the sum total of her mortgage instead of the low low low monthly payments that she could totally afford with a few lifestyle change.

She somehow convinced the buyer to get a 35 years amortization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Lexicon posted:

Do you live in some kind of tragically-awful slum or housing project or something? The junkie houses from Trainspotting sound like more clean and orderly places than this. I've rented my whole adult life, almost always in apartment buildings with dogs (because owners always have them), and all over North America including Vancouver and Victoria. I have never seen anything remotely close to any of this sort of behaviour with pets that you're describing. I mean, making GBS threads in hallways? I've definitely heard dogs bark, but only as some sort of strange exception and not as this normal behaviour that you inevitably get whenever the first rentailure brings in a dog.

I'm forced to conclude you're subconsciously allowing the absolutely toxic, pearl-clutching BC culture of muh property values :bahgawd: colour your opinions.

Personal anecdote time: I've rented in pet-friendly new buildings in Coal Harbour and Metrotown, and dog poo poo in the hallways and elevators was not an uncommon occurrence.