Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah - can anyone give me a reason to buy the lifetime Plex Pass? I currently use Plex and it works just fine, no complaints. I primarily use Chromecast with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't think there's a lot of reason to do it now, but I suspect with Plex becoming "official" on Xbox One it will probably start seeing some elite features later on down the road.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.
They're starting to apply the "subscribers get new versions first" model to the playback apps which they already charge for if you aren't a subscriber. They're doing it to the Android app at least and I would expect them to do it to the Roku app if they can (although the pace of development for Roku is so low that they may not have the nerve). The iOS app costs $4.99 whether you subscribe or not so there's already no benefit there.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Syncing to mobile devices for mobile devices is the most compelling feature right now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does Plex Pass give me playlists or continuious play on my android device/chromecast? Cause I'd pay $180 for that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dude posted:

The iOS app costs $4.99 whether you subscribe or not so there's already no benefit there.

Yeah, I've already bought this for my iPhone (and so far really only use it as a remote control). If I had a larger capacity phone and travelled more then the mobile syncing would be really useful, so I might pick up a few months of it and delete as much crap as I can as I'm on lots of busses/planes the next month or two.

Random question:

When I finish watching an episode and it dumps me back to the ep info screen, is there a quick, one key way of getting it to the next episode? When I used the iOS app as a remote on my RaspPi install, I noticed it would just automatically go into the next ep which was neat. Sometimes we finish watching an episode and decide another one would be good before bed, which means going back into the season view, going to the next episode, going into the ep info and pressing play (or skipping a stage with the 'P' key). It's a bit long winded, but making a playlist every time also feels like it would be annoying. Feel like I should be able to press [ and ] to skip back and forth episodes or something.

Plex Connect does it really well by giving you episode links for the season at the bottom of the screen in the episode view.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I am looking to save on computational resources on my Plex server, is it better to set the video transcoding to a lower bitrate or a higher bitrate? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Syncing to mobile devices for mobile devices is the most compelling feature right now.

I'm underground for most of my commute. Can I pim/sync a show to watch when I'm on the train? Or am I better off just copy/pasting something directly to my phone's storage?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

rock2much posted:

I'm underground for most of my commute. Can I pim/sync a show to watch when I'm on the train? Or am I better off just copy/pasting something directly to my phone's storage?

The best part of PlexPass is that it syncs back to Plex. Let's say you have a brand new show moved to your tablet and always want 5 episodes(episodes 1-5). On your commute you watch three episodes. When you get home and Plex syncs it will realize those three episdoes are watched (on deck is episode 4), remove those three episodes from your tablet, and queue up three more to transcode and copy over. If during the night you watch two more (on deck episode 6) and your tablet syncs it will get episodes 6-11 transcoded and copied over.

If you do this manually copy/pasting you have to tell Plex you watched the shows. Plus transcoding if needed.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

rock2much posted:

You can pin a show to your device, you can also set it up to auto-pin unwatched episodes.

Also looks like Android finally got play queues, my app just updated.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Anjow posted:

If I am looking to save on computational resources on my Plex server, is it better to set the video transcoding to a lower bitrate or a higher bitrate? Apologies if this is a stupid question.
I don't think the bitrate has a big effect on transcode speed, the quality setting is much more important. You can try the "Prefer higher speed encoding" but if you're already doing that you can tweak the transcoder settings even more by setting things like the preset and/or rate factor in TranscoderH264OptionsOverride (see https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201105343-Advanced-Server-Settings). I don't know what settings Plex uses but I believe they are already biased towards faster transcoding rather than best quality. Also, no matter what you do I think that transcoding will use 100% CPU until it transcodes the whole file, faster settings just make it finish faster.

If you have a slowish Plex server but a faster desktop or other computer you can pre-transcode for your playback device using Handbrake. Then Plex should Direct Play or Direct Stream everything without engaging the transcoder.

Edit: info on x264 settings: http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings. I would stick to setting the preset and crf, keep in mind that lower crf -> higher quality.

The Dude fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 23, 2014

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Anjow posted:

Depends on your source video bitrate.

If you set it to be at a higher rate then the source, and its of a proper type, its a simple direct play hardly any resources used. But your bandwidth may suffer.

Lower the rate to something juuuust lower the the source, but the source is a large file? You will transcode the crap out of it. Also its possible to direct play video but transcoded audio.

So, in general, direct (higher) is better unless you go very low. And it all depends on what you are starting with

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So I just discovered Plex yesterday and I'm really liking what it can do so far. The ability to just play whatever, wherever is pretty amazing so far. Trying to decide whether to buy the lifetime pass before the price hike.

Is there any kind of to-do list showing what they plan on working on in the future? The things it can't do right now that I'd really like to see are some form of Smart Playlist feature ala iTunes or other media players, and having more options set per-library rather than globally. I'd also like to see Audiobook, Podcast, Music Video, and Miscellaneous options added to their media types.. I really like the idea of using something like hpodder to grab podcasts, put them in a library that gets scanned on a more regular basis than everything else, which deletes stuff after it's viewed. Maybe something like that could be accomplished with plugins?

Does anyone know of any alternatives that compete with Plex in terms of automatic transcoding and media playback wherever that I should check out before dropping this kind of cash?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
With the cost increase, if I buy the yearly pass this year at 29.99 will it renew at 29.99 or at the 39.99 new price?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Smello posted:

So I just discovered Plex yesterday and I'm really liking what it can do so far. The ability to just play whatever, wherever is pretty amazing so far. Trying to decide whether to buy the lifetime pass before the price hike.

Is there any kind of to-do list showing what they plan on working on in the future? The things it can't do right now that I'd really like to see are some form of Smart Playlist feature ala iTunes or other media players, and having more options set per-library rather than globally. I'd also like to see Audiobook, Podcast, Music Video, and Miscellaneous options added to their media types.. I really like the idea of using something like hpodder to grab podcasts, put them in a library that gets scanned on a more regular basis than everything else, which deletes stuff after it's viewed. Maybe something like that could be accomplished with plugins?

Does anyone know of any alternatives that compete with Plex in terms of automatic transcoding and media playback wherever that I should check out before dropping this kind of cash?

Mediabrowser is a direct competitor. Their setup is free server setup, with fees placed on mobile apps and paid plugins.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gariig posted:

The best part of PlexPass is that it syncs back to Plex. Let's say you have a brand new show moved to your tablet and always want 5 episodes(episodes 1-5). On your commute you watch three episodes. When you get home and Plex syncs it will realize those three episdoes are watched (on deck is episode 4), remove those three episodes from your tablet, and queue up three more to transcode and copy over. If during the night you watch two more (on deck episode 6) and your tablet syncs it will get episodes 6-11 transcoded and copied over.

If you do this manually copy/pasting you have to tell Plex you watched the shows. Plus transcoding if needed.

That sounds great. I just need to stomach that $79 price before it's too late.

TigCobra
Oct 29, 2013

Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

With the cost increase, if I buy the yearly pass this year at 29.99 will it renew at 29.99 or at the 39.99 new price?

You will be locked into the current yearly price.

Here is where I got the information: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/121704-new-plexpass-pricing/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Think that link must be restricted to Plex Pass people, it's not coming up here on my normal login.

TigCobra
Oct 29, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yes it is for Plex Pass users. Here is the blog post: https://blog.plex.tv/2014/09/22/upcoming-price-increase-new-plex-pass-subscriptions/#comments look at the 7th comment.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I just picked up a Plex Pass. Is there a way to use the Plex Sync features with another computer, rather than a mobile device? Does that require installing the Plex Media Server?

I've got a Plex Server at home. I'm interested in not having to load up shows on an external USB drive to take to work and watch on my laptop (followed by the tedious flagging of which ones I've watched). I could just use my iPad, but I'd have to buy cables to go Lightning > HDMI > DVI for the spare monitor I have. I have lovely Comcast which never seems to work for live streaming, so something that lets me load up my laptop and sync would be great.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex sync is mobile devices only last time I checked. Might be worth looking at the plex pass forums though.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Does anyone use Plex for audiobooks? I've been trying to find a good/logical way to use it for my massive audiobook collection and it really, really sucks for it. It doesn't save your location or allow bookmarks. It would be the PERFECT thing to use for it if they let you set up an Audiobook library.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I had Plex installed for months, never used it, and then checked it out this week. Plex Sync is so much better than any other solution for getting media to my phone than AirVideo or any of the alternatives - and it does so in a package that is well-featured all around. Can't believe I slept on it for so long.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

vty posted:

Audiobooks.

I too, would like to know this. I have experimented with having them as videos for the resume feature but it was awfully clunky.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I too, would like to know this. I have experimented with having them as videos for the resume feature but it was awfully clunky.

The best thing I found was using an Audiobook player on Android that could point at NFS shares. I have a feeling we can't do that on iPhone or that it'll be a PITA. I had to specifically find an Audiobook player that had the function to not just look at the SDcard/main drives. Then you'd just run them like normal. Of course, you've got to do a ton of crap if you want to access them off your wifi network.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just a 2 days to go warning... The prices increase on Monday. Purchase PlexPass now to avoid the higher prices.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I really want to subscribe to Plex but I don't have nor do I really want a computer capable of transcoding video in realtime, it looks like Plex Cloud has everything I want, I even have most of my media in Google Drive already but it needs a computer to do it for some reason.

This is probably the dumbest question ever but is there like a hosted Plex or some reasonable method to rent a ridiculous big rear end hosted server to chew through my media over a few hours for Plex cloud? Or the Plex requirements seem iffy, are the tiny computers I see on sale for like $200 able to handle transcoding now so I can just shove it in my closet and forget about it?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 28, 2014

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I really want to subscribe to Plex but I don't have nor do I really want a computer capable of transcoding video in realtime, it looks like Plex Cloud has everything I want, I even have most of my media in Google Drive already but it needs a computer to do it for some reason.

This is probably the dumbest question ever but is there like a hosted Plex or some reasonable method to rent a ridiculous big rear end hosted server to chew through my media over a few hours for Plex cloud? Or the Plex requirements seem iffy, are the tiny computers I see on sale for like $200 able to handle transcoding now so I can just shove it in my closet and forget about it?

What would your client devices be? If it is a PC, you don't really need much transcoding if any.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Namlemez posted:

What would your client devices be? If it is a PC, you don't really need much transcoding if any.

Roku, Android phone and tablet, Chromebook and Google TV.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Roku, Android phone and tablet, Chromebook and Google TV.

OK, you need a lot of transcoding for all those :) How many people would this be for (i.e. how many of those might be active at a given time)? Usually you figure out the CPU requirements that way by seeing the PassMark score (read a few posts back.) A good deal on a $200 computer might be able to handle one stream but not multiple.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Heners_UK posted:

Just a 2 days to go warning... The prices increase on Monday. Purchase PlexPass now to avoid the higher prices.

Bit the bullet and finally jumped on a lifetime pass.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

teagone posted:

Bit the bullet and finally jumped on a lifetime pass.

Me too. I hope the persistent rumors about mobile syncing becoming a separate subscription feature don't suddenly come true.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That would be a bit weird and disappointing, it's not as if it's a feature that actively costs them money to run. Think the main problem with Plex Pass is that the free features are a lot better than the paid ones.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Lifetime passes have never worked out well for me, every single has seen a company either go bust a few years later or the product just tails off slowly. I think the only one I can recall that has worked out for anyone else was the TiVo. None of the Plex Pass features scream "go sub now!" to me either.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

The Gunslinger posted:

Lifetime passes have never worked out well for me, every single has seen a company either go bust a few years later or the product just tails off slowly. I think the only one I can recall that has worked out for anyone else was the TiVo. None of the Plex Pass features scream "go sub now!" to me either.

Yeah, I did the yearly pass. Lifetime is a bit of a gamble...it'll probably end up working out for everyone though since I didn't buy it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm with you on this. Either I don't fully understand the benefits of the Plex Pass or because I'm always networked and can see my home media center I don't have a good use case. I've happily bought Plex for my iOS and Android devices. On one hand, I'm tempted to buy because 'the future'. But, I can't see anyway I'd actually use it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Wish the plex iOS app would go on sale again. I didn't get it last time stupidly and now I want to use a chromecast with it. It has been on sale every 3 months lately so I'm holding out for a couple weeks to see.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The multi-user profile thing is what really made me consider the lifetime pass, funnily enough. I share my server with a lot of friends and family and them having the ability to have their own watch states/resume points was something I'd like for them to have, so thanks for the goon who pointed that out for me. I'm also getting a new tablet so the offline sync feature seems like it'd be nice for when I travel (which is a lot). I'll probably use Cloud Sync too since I have 100GB and a 50GB Box accounts to take advantage of. I also wanted to support a platform that I've been using for almost 2 years that has made managing and viewing my content across multiple devices an awesome experience.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 29, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the Mobile Sync work when you're outside of the home network? For example, I'll be in a hotel next week and it would be neat if I could grab local encodes of a few shows for the plane ride home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does the Mobile Sync work when you're outside of the home network? For example, I'll be in a hotel next week and it would be neat if I could grab local encodes of a few shows for the plane ride home.

Yes. I sync up shows at work that I can watch on the train ride home.