Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

DandyLion posted:

What mumble are WoL remnants using?

Page 25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Thanks you big beautiful bastard

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Lemming posted:

Number19 can you cropdust the devs until they add a 4v4 queue please

Edit: with selectable tonnage limits

Edit2: and new re-balanced maps and game modes

No that would be rude.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Illegal Username posted:

Gimme a non-lovely firestarter build.

i'm guessing this is not exactly optimal: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=138&l=6019cacd4b98b8fe0279279065dd14d44581ae34

better firestarter

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Number19 posted:

No that would be rude.

12v12 is rude

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

proper firestarter

:colbert:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
In all seriousness, this is the only firestarter build that should be played.
EMBER

But don't go giving :pgi: money.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Maximum Flammen Werfed

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

veedubfreak posted:

In all seriousness, this is the only firestarter build that should be played.
EMBER

But don't go giving :pgi: money.

I'm the AMS ammo with no AMS equipped.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Number19 posted:

He's got manual AMS.

I'm sure that is the backup ammo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's a rather monstrous light mech.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Number19 posted:

No that would be rude.

True. Time was, you could get banned for suggesting such things on the brown sea.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

RangerAce posted:

True. Time was, you could get banned for suggesting such things on the brown sea.

Now you can get banned for suggesting such things away from the brown sea. :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll never figure out that my username is Lemming in MWO.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
How much is an Ember anyhow? I haven't played the game in ages, might as well give it a twirl - looks like I have about 2,5K MC stored up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drake_263 posted:

How much is an Ember anyhow? I haven't played the game in ages, might as well give it a twirl - looks like I have about 2,5K MC stored up.

2625 mc.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

The S model is probably the best non-hero version, followed by the one with machine guns. If you want to save your MC and see if you like them. If you like lights, then I'd say why not.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This is essentially a canon locust build.

Gwaihir posted:

Coolshot is great especially now that you can auto-rebuy after every match. That doesn't mean you build a mech around it.

I'll keep that in mind next time I pilot a nova-prime.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Eh, it's late, I'll sleep on it and have a couple of rounds with stuff I already have. Speaking of, as somebody who practically hasn't touched his Phoenix mechs at all, anything fun and/or annoying you can pull off with those? I'd be particularly interested in a good THunderbolt build, I tend to prefer to drive heavies - nice and tough and punchy while not being a slow fatass like the Atlas.

Also, what's the usual time folks are around and playing the game? Nice to see some things never change, that is, random pubbie teams are still about as fun as a root canal with an impact drill.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I haven't played in a long time, but the Thunderbolt is kind of a fun robot because it's the only brawly 65-fun mech at the time I was playing. I'm unsure how how relevant they are at this stage in the game, but if you're good at twist dancing then you can expect to be pretty alright. I played them all the way to master level on all three available chassis' and had a blast with them, but YMMV.

You jerks have prompted me to reinstall this God-forsaken game, by the way. Thanks for that.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I see most thunderbolts getting wrecked left and right. Their size and shape do not fit their tonnage.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Number19 posted:

Knew I was forgetting something.

There I fixed it EMBER

Trying to remember if I even have ams on my Ember or not. But these days it's basically required.

Also, Tbolts are rear end. They're giant fat gobs of poo poo that get CT'd like crazy. But at least you can run an XL :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cataphracts and uh uh.. Orions, are decent IS heavies. Not too much else, IMO. Not to say catapults, dragon and whatnot are bad. Though the quick fire looks bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kazvall posted:

Cataphracts and uh uh.. Orions, are decent IS heavies. Not too much else, IMO. Not to say catapults, dragon and whatnot are bad. Though the quick fire looks bad.

Jagers are still somewhat usable 'cause of the high ballistic mounts. I used to run a 3 AC/5 Jager and it did p. well -- dunno if that build has been nerfed though.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Forgot about Jagers, yeah.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
RIP Gaussapult :smith:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I haven't played this lovely game in a while. What's a good Marmoset build?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tank Boy Ken posted:

They should add a 1vs1 league system. Call it Solaris/Trials of being TopFurry with 5 different "leagues": Light, Medium, Heavy, "Open" (Open = bring whatever). Split into IS/Clan queues. Use this to calculate Elo ratings.

After a while add team matches (2vs2, 4vs4). Make 3 monthly league fights of X top players/teams. Entry fee is 1k MC, pay out some MC for winners. Use "Duncan Fisher" (George Ledoux as live speaker, for top matches (top 3?). If he can do such things as awesome live as with text. I do realize those are 2 different skill sets. Make profit, get publicity also get some players back (maybe).

In the age of "clouds" server # shouldn't be a real problem. And if my IT knowledge doesn't fail me, 12 Servers with 1vs1 should produce less traffic than 1 Server with 12vs12? Or am I retarded? I know I'm retarded for still caring about MW:O.

PGI once said that it takes the same resources to use a server for a 1v1 or a 12v12 and that's why free private matches have to be 12v12. Not sure if they're full of poo poo and just trying to squeeze money out of people or what. The move to 12v12 in spite of the damage it does to gameplay does lend credence to the idea, however.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

They mean like... the whole server?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Obviously not, but I'm not really sure how the architecture of this stuff works. I assume there needs to be some sort of dedicated client that needs to run to host the game, and it takes the same amount of resources regardless of the players.

Considering League of Legends would occasionally restrict custom games to requiring a certain amount of non-bot players during peak periods, it doesn't sound like they're totally making poo poo up?

I kinda wish they'd bring back 8v8, and up cbill earnings while they're at it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It might just be the phrasing (E: including the alleged Niko post I found), but it makes it sound to me like a certain number of instances per server, like per the number of cores available, and all have to be running the same 1v1 or 12v12 configuration. I don't know what cryengine servers look like compared to source though, for instance.

But the complete and total transition to 12v12 suggests it too; their head-end can't actually spawn any games that aren't 12v12.

So maybe they aren't spawning anything. They actually have a cluster of 12v12 servers already running, like you'd have a bunch of TF2 servers, and just plug players into them in groups.

That's a complete lack of virtualization and scalability that... I'd fully expect :pgi:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 25, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Remember; just because there's no reason to their infrastructure to be completely rigid and inefficient doesn't mean it won't be.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 25, 2014

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It wouldn't be a hard stretch to dedicate special maps to 1v1 that host multiple players. You just set it up so theres 12 seperate arenas and then drop everyone in that wants to do it.
They could even set it up for an in-server Que so people can just join and then wait to fight specific people in an arena.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

*ahem*
Superior Lurmcust
Why are you in a locust if you aren't going to go *fast*.
It's me I'm the 7 million C-bill locust.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It also shouldn't be hard to spawn server instances on demand like a sane multiplayer service. If there's a startup time involved, fire it up at the beginning of matchmaking, private matches can stand to wait. Now rent a few VPS in places other than Montreal, ping around during matchmaking for the lowest total, and hey look you've got regionalized servers without breaking up your queues.

But I can only assume there's some equally insane reason they need all their servers colocated. I bet somebody even has a quote.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 25, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

sarmhan posted:

*ahem*
Superior Lurmcust
Why are you in a locust if you aren't going to go *fast*.
It's me I'm the 7 million C-bill locust.

That build's no valid, you need (at least) 10 heatsinks to use a mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ranzear posted:

But I can only assume there's some equally insane reason they need all their servers colocated. I bet somebody even has a quote.

I think I do, let me dig it up...

PGI posted:

We are idiots and don't know what we're doing!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/172535-community-warfare-phase-2-update-sept-24/page__p__3759271#entry3759271

Community Warfare update

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
CW will use the long-planned Dropship mode. You will bring one mech of each weight category to battle. It does not clarify if your team is limited to any particular distribution on the ground at any given time, so it will be interesting to see if you're allowed to drop with 10 assaults and some scouts for your initial group.

Battles will consist of IS v IS and Clan v Clan border disputes and Clan v IS invasions. Players will be exclusively locked to the appropriate types of mechs, so have fun getting walked over by Timber Wolfs in the invasion corridor. Invasion matches will be open to players from all clans and houses.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Good lord that's a mess.
Why did I expect a concept video and implementation schedule from a company that still hasn't produced a tutorial for basic gameplay.

• Locked thread