Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

I was just watching Property Virgin and the host / realtor was going on and on and on about how the client lacked vision because she kept thinking about the sum total of her mortgage instead of the low low low monthly payments that she could totally afford with a few lifestyle change.

She somehow convinced the buyer to get a 35 years amortization.

Oh so that's what prudent financial planning is. A lack of vision.

How the gently caress did realtors pick up corporate catchphrases

E: also, imma leave rat poisoned steaks all around Guelph park this weekend

gently caress you and your stupid loving dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

E: also, imma leave rat poisoned steaks all around Guelph park this weekend

gently caress you and your stupid loving dogs

Do you need some attention you feel you aren't getting? I have about 30 minutes before I go to bed to read...

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Pet ownership is not a human right holy poo poo. Even when dogs don't poo poo in hallways (I think I saw this twice in ~4 years at my new-ish Vancouver condo) they still bark, make hallways/elevators smell terrible all the time because it's Vancouver and rains all the time, and are really loud on hardwood floors.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Dogs are awesome and people are insufferable, replace all condo owners with dogs

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I read an article a week or so ago about a condo project that was going to have a dog has an amenity. Like a strata-owned dog that the residents could "book" or "rent" or what ever. That kinda seems like a cool idea, I love dogs and often wish I had one but I'm much better hanging out with other people's dogs than deal with all the lovely aspects when they live with you full time. But that poor dog being raised by a bunch of loving condo owners. Dogs need training and consistent discipline, seems like a pretty lovely environment for the dog. Unless it's like an adult chill dog that's already trained and doesn't give a poo poo as to which human is currently petting and walking it.

drat can't find the article. Was pretty sure it was for a Toronto condo and the shared dog was part of the pre-sales pitch.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
that's kind of messed up, where do liabilities fall there?

I grew up with pets, love them, but im pretty firmly in the "if you cannot afford a pet - including the time and space for one, you don't get a pet. Why shut a dog up in an apartment? Seems cruel.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's hit and miss if a dog will be happy in a condo/apartment. I've known plenty of people with dogs in those sorts of situations, but they were never left alone a whole working day. Sometimes one person was able to go home for lunch to let the dog out and say hi. Sometimes they worked different shifts so the dog was only alone for 4-5 hours. Sometimes they had to spend a loving fortune on doggy daycare every day because their neurotic pure breed would get insane anxiety and have explosive diarrhea and destroy furniture and howl if left alone for more than an hour. I certainly wouldn't do it, nor would I get an indoor cat because litter boxes are disgusting. Maybe everyone with indoor cats I know just don't clean enough but where ever the litter box is is always covered in those little crystals and or it smells horrible. If you have a balcony though that often makes a good place for a litter box. I think though pet owners, just like parents, end up having to reduce their standards for what is "clean" and "doesn't smell horrible".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Trying to position pet ownership as a human right is bullshit. You can't choose to be black or disabled but you sure as poo poo can choose to have a dog and deal with the consequences of ownership.

I would love to have a dog, and if both my wife and landlord agreed it would probably already be done, but there's literally no reason that I as a property owner should be forced to allow one in my property if I don't wish it, just as there's no law preventing a landlord from choosing not to rent to a person who they believe will cause unusual wear on their property, or because, based entirely on subjective factors, they think someone will be a bad tenant.

Re the pet comparison to smoking, condos by design are built in a way that draws air into common spaces from individual units, so you can't help but to eject animal particles into spaces you share with your neighbours. It's literally the same issue as smoking and why many newer condos seek to prohibit smoking even inside your own unit.

Where did I position it as a human right? I said landlords shouldn't be able to discriminate on pet ownership. I did not say that it's a human right, or anything about the rest of your crap.

There absolutely should be laws preventing landlords from rejecting tenants entirely on subjective factors. The right to housing is internationally recognized so I don't even know where you're going with this. What kind of subjective factors do you imagine that landlords should be allowed to exclude tenants for?

I'm not sure why you're bringing up condos when we're talking about rentals, but a quick search shows that cat dander can be filtered out in central air systems and probably should be anyways because those filters block dust and mold too. Good luck finding a filter that will block out cigarette smoke though.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
Here's my wife and I searching for an apartment:

:v::Hi! We'd like to rent your apartment. We are both working adults with no debt, non-smokers (tobacco or otherwise), we don't listen to loud music, we both work in the day so we're asleep by 11pm, we have quiet hobbies, we already have tenant's insurance and here's references from both our employers and previous landlord along with recent pay-stubs and a credit report.

:):You sound like great tenants. We'd love to have you here.

:v::We have a cat.

:byodood::gently caress YOU! GET OUT OF MY OFFICE YOU poo poo-SPAWN OF SATAN!

I can understand a landlord trying to limit their risk exposure, but outright bans on pets treats every prospective tenant as if they were already an irresponsible pet owner.

V V V V: Yes. Yes indeed.

ductonius fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 25, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ gotta be BC I'm guessing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here's a solution: DON'T HAVE A PET

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-real-estate-breaks-2m-mark-east-of-fraser-street-1.2776611

quote:

A house at 846 E 27th Avenue, on a 33 ft. wide lot just east of Fraser Street has sold for the asking price of $2,150,000. And the realtor who listed it says the new buyers traded UP from their last home on the West Side.

Keep buying motherfuckers!

e:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/8...8ba4a11e7df9a31

hahaha great decision you assholes

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 25, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JawKnee posted:

that's kind of messed up, where do liabilities fall there?

I grew up with pets, love them, but im pretty firmly in the "if you cannot afford a pet - including the time and space for one, you don't get a pet. Why shut a dog up in an apartment? Seems cruel.

Yeah at least if you have a single family house the dog can play and exercise in the yard.

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member
My in-laws are moving here (Victoria) in a few months and it's been really difficult trying to find a place that would let them keep their lab. It seems like 75-90% of rentals don't allow pets. That's the difference between age-restricted housing and restrictions on pets: age-restricted rentals make up a small fraction of potential rentals but the vast majority have restrictions on pets. It's a de facto ban.

For all the crying of "well don't get a pet if you're renting!" what is someone supposed to do when they already have a pet? Being forced to give the pet up for adoption or, worst case, give it to the pound is traumatic for an animal bred to be a companion.

I think it's pretty damning of BC landlords that other provinces have much more lax restrictions on pets but still, somehow, manage to not be bankrupted by destructive pets. Striking down the ability for landlords to disallow pets doesn't prevent their ability to evict tenants because their pet is a nuisance.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Here's a solution: DON'T HAVE A PET

My favorite thing in Vancouver is people who somehow interpret "No pets" to mean "No pets. Except cats. They are fine because they poo poo in a box in my apartment and never leave, so it's not the same as a dog. So I'm just going to sneak it in."

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

aarp posted:

For all the crying of "well don't get a pet if you're renting!" what is someone supposed to do when they already have a pet? Being forced to give the pet up for adoption or, worst case, give it to the pound is traumatic for an animal bred to be a companion.

what the gently caress do you think chinese restaurants are for

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

another loser posted:

My favorite thing in Vancouver is people who somehow interpret "No pets" to mean "No pets. Except cats. They are fine because they poo poo in a box in my apartment and never leave, so it's not the same as a dog. So I'm just going to sneak it in."

cats are the worst. cat people are even worse. here welcome to my home where everything smells like cat urea would u like some chardonnay

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

eXXon posted:

Where did I position it as a human right? I said landlords shouldn't be able to discriminate on pet ownership. I did not say that it's a human right, or anything about the rest of your crap.

There absolutely should be laws preventing landlords from rejecting tenants entirely on subjective factors. The right to housing is internationally recognized so I don't even know where you're going with this. What kind of subjective factors do you imagine that landlords should be allowed to exclude tenants for?

I'm not sure why you're bringing up condos when we're talking about rentals, but a quick search shows that cat dander can be filtered out in central air systems and probably should be anyways because those filters block dust and mold too. Good luck finding a filter that will block out cigarette smoke though.

The only things you're legally not allowed to discriminate on are defined in the charter of rights and freedoms and a host of related civil rights precedent, thus saying pets shouldn't be a cause for discrimination puts them on the same plane as skin colour or sexual preference. It's stupid.

Do you think their should be laws preventing other businesses from using their subjective opinion to make business judgement? Because there's a whole host of legal precedent that says they can do exactly that. If someone comes in to my place smelling of old socks and with unkempt hair you can bet your rear end I'm not renting to him
no matter what he writes on the application form. He's demonstrated a clear lack of care for his own personal property so why the gently caress would I want him to use mine?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
pets are literally humans

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

oh those coolies and their strange oriental ways :allears:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

What a terrible joke, everybody knows you can only get decent meat out of the bigger dogs.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I say we just cut the Gordian knot on this pet issue and abolish landlordism.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Sidakafitz posted:

I say we just cut the Gordian knot on this pet issue and abolish landlordism.

more like chinese puzzle

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

eXXon posted:

A tenant with pets poses a greater risk to the landlord's business. I don't see how that's subjective; have you ever been to a place where cat pissed had been left to sit in the carpet? Had a neighbour whose dog hollered all day long? Not allowing pets brings the risk of those things happening down to zero.

I've also seen postings that specifically requested non smoking tenants, but I don't know how enforceable that is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

FrozenVent posted:

A tenant with pets poses a greater risk to the landlord's business. I don't see how that's subjective; have you ever been to a place where cat pissed had been left to sit in the carpet? Had a neighbour whose dog hollered all day long? Not allowing pets brings the risk of those things happening down to zero.

I've also seen postings that specifically requested non smoking tenants, but I don't know how enforceable that is.

Unless it's a precluded term under statute, if you agree to it in the lease it is enforceable. Usually the enforcement comes down to excess cleaning charges against the security deposit rather than eviction.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The only things you're legally not allowed to discriminate on are defined in the charter of rights and freedoms and a host of related civil rights precedent, thus saying pets shouldn't be a cause for discrimination puts them on the same plane as skin colour or sexual preference. It's stupid.

You sure demolished that straw man, good job.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Unless it's a precluded term under statute, if you agree to it in the lease it is enforceable. Usually the enforcement comes down to excess cleaning charges against the security deposit rather than eviction.

Ontario Law posted:

May a landlord refuse to rent to a person who has pets?

The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) does not cover individuals before they become tenants, so if a landlord refused to rent on the basis of pets, a tenant could not apply under the RTA for this reason.

May a landlord include a no-smoking clause in the lease?

The RTA does not address smoking.

If a no pets and no smoking clause is written into a lease and the landlord discovers that the tenant has a pet and/or smokes in the rental unit, is this grounds for the landlord to evict the tenant?

A landlord cannot evict a tenant because they have a pet in violation of a "no pets" clause in the lease. The RTA does not address smoking. However, a landlord may have grounds to apply to evict a tenant, either for having a pet or for smoking, if the pet or smoke damages the property or bothers other tenants.

This law works quite well, thank you. The alternative is:

aarp posted:

lol boil them it's okay I'm han chinese.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Do you think their should be laws preventing other businesses from using their subjective opinion to make business judgement? Because there's a whole host of legal precedent that says they can do exactly that. If someone comes in to my place smelling of old socks and with unkempt hair you can bet your rear end I'm not renting to him
no matter what he writes on the application form. He's demonstrated a clear lack of care for his own personal property so why the gently caress would I want him to use mine?

Oh that's cool, should stores be allowed to refuse to sell to renters with unkempt hair? You are a tremendous shithead.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Will someone just think of the pet owners?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

eXXon posted:

You sure demolished that straw man, good job.

This law works quite well, thank you. The alternative is:

lol boil them it's okay I'm han chinese.

Oh that's cool, should stores be allowed to refuse to sell to renters with unkempt hair? You are a tremendous shithead.

There's a pretty big difference between someone buying their groceries and someone establishing a long-term contractually defined relationship.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

There's a pretty big difference between someone buying their groceries and someone establishing a long-term contractually defined relationship.

You are a monster for not feeling guilty

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Russia: Bank offers 'free cat with every mortgage'

Russia's largest bank is apparently loaning cats to clients who buy one of their mortgage products - as a sign of good luck.

In what has all the marks of a publicity stunt, Sberbank - one of Russia's largest banks - says every new mortgage customer can choose the cat they want, and it will be delivered in time for their housewarming party, the TJournal website reports. The bank's slick website gives a choice of 10 breeds, and features a video showing the first happy clients receiving their cats. It's an advertising campaign thought up by a local agency, and reportedly features delivery vans with cat logos cruising the streets of Moscow.

The bad news for customers is that they won't be able to keep their feline. Terms of the offer say that the animal is only given so that it is the first to cross the threshold of the property - many Russians say a cat is sign of good luck to those moving into a new home - and is only available for two hours so the home-owners can take photos.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-28951981

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

You are a monster for not feeling guilty

Not true. I harbor a deep and abiding sense of shame for being one of the landed gentry while the rest of the posters here are rentailures.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Wait, I thought stores could refuse to sell to someone with unkempt hair? No shirt, no shoes, no service and all that?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Not true. I harbor a deep and abiding sense of shame for being one of the landed gentry while the rest of the posters here are rentailures.

scum

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Wait, I thought stores could refuse to sell to someone with unkempt hair? No shirt, no shoes, no service and all that?

No you see being a shithead is s human right

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

No you see being a shithead is s human right

See: this thread and all posts herein

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

See: this thread and all posts herein

your petty regionalism

vancouver-style posting is a human right

e: kicks a shiba inu

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

your petty regionalism

vancouver-style posting is a human right

e: kicks a shiba inu

Wrong again, I'm from (a small town outside of) Toronto, I just live in Vancouver :smug:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
ITT: Why Canada is a declining banana republic in nearly every respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Rime posted:

ITT: Why Canada is a declining banana republic in nearly every respect.

Bitumen constitutional monarchy :colbert: