Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Album is a breath of fresh air so far. This is a side of Aphex that I've wanted to see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It definitely feels like a hugely abstract album to me, a bit like Drukqs. I Care Because You Do and Richard D James Album felt more tangible and listenable (that does not mean in any way worse, merely less experimental and less 'different'). I love the more abstract and stranger sounds of Syro. My brain has to work to follow it on the first few listens.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It definitely feels like a hugely abstract album to me, a bit like Drukqs. I Care Because You Do and Richard D James Album felt more tangible and listenable (that does not mean in any way worse, merely less experimental and less 'different'). I love the more abstract and stranger sounds of Syro. My brain has to work to follow it on the first few listens.
really? i think this is probably his most uh..."normal" album. it's really good but there's nothing really experimental or mindblowing on it. im looking forward to the weirder stuff he said he was going to release sometime in the future

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
I'm still hoping for SAW III.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
drat RDJ after all these years.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Ninja fetus posted:

I'm still hoping for SAW III.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Gave it my first full listen today. It's brilliant. People are saying it's a solid album, nothing ground breaking, which is what I thought about Minipops, but I feel that doesn't do the album justice.

The fact that Richard has had 13 years of music to pick from has benefited rather than detracted from Syro. While it's not as out-there as his other work, what it does have is a brilliant flow. It's an album that demands to be listened to all the way through and individual tracks demand the same. There were moments, each lasting seconds, where I thought 'it's letting up now', but then suddenly something awesome happened. You dare not reach for the skip button, because you might miss something. This actually worked against it in a couple of places, as some awesome riff or beat would come in, only to superseded four bars later. I love the way the album ramps in intensity, with full-on jungle breaks happening towards the end. Compare that to Drukqs, which is feels like two or three albums on shuffle. Drukqs actually contains most of my favourite Aphex Twin tracks (and of all time) but it's not an album for listening to from start to finish. Syro's arrangement is like a great DJ set - it has a brilliant focus on the sum as well as the parts, almost like the anti-Drukqs. Richard mentioned releasing stuff as drawing a line under an era, and this is his line under 13 years of DJing awesome electronic music.

And my god can Richard make those synths sing. He brings out a character in his gear that makes it sound alive.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 23, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wouldn't bother with the Japan bonus track, it's not much use and it ruins the silence at the end of the album after aisatsana

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wouldn't bother with the Japan bonus track, it's not much use and it ruins the silence at the end of the album after aisatsana

Are you joking? It's amazing, 7 minutes of lush downtempo braindance with sweet vocoder work, a textured/distorted snare reminiscent of ICBYD, and some classic RDJ SAW 85-92 style melodies.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Among all of the other amazing things I love about this record, from a production standpoint I'd love to know how he achieves some of the 'fullness' in the bass lines. Like they are so deep and fat, without crowding out any other sounds and muddying up the spectrum, it's so perfect.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Ive only heard the first half so far but I love it. It's like he decided to embrace and include every element of his style thst i love and left out the poo poo that i dont.

Basically he made this album for me :getin: :colbert:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Yeah what he said ^^. The only song I don't super-love is 180db, it sounds pretty corny to me. The rest rules

edit: Who else loves the part starting around 1:55 on "4bit 9d api"? That part is like sex for my ears

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 23, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I want some of you guys to come back a month later after the zeitgiest and first listen highs wear off and then see if your initial opinions still hold.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
4:30 of CIRCLONT6A is my favorite part of the album. Just really fucks with your head when you hear it with headphones.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

I want some of you guys to come back a month later after the zeitgiest and first listen highs wear off and then see if your initial opinions still hold.

Ok deal but just so you know it is much rarer (for me at least) to love an album and then eventually sour on it than it is to dislike/not get an album and then eventually come to love it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Maybe not the place to ask but has anybody had issues downloading the MP3s from the Bleep website? Every time I go to download them the pop-up comes up and says it can't connect to the website.

LL Fiesta!
Jul 30, 2002
hello
Loving the album. To me it's nice blend of Aphex craziness with Aphex you can nod your head to. Most of it's pretty grooving. His production skills have only gotten better, too. I doubt it will replace Drukqs as my top Aphex Twin album, but I may wind up listening to it more because it's a lot of fun.

Favorite bit so far is on syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix] (thank you copy-paste) from 3:33-3:46. Such a great little breakdown.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Came with a pretty plastic bag that had a poster and black and white pamphlet art book, totally wasn't expecting that, but so delighted to get the last one the store had.

Anyone have the dropcard and can say what goodies come with it?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

GODDAMN. Does anyone else out there almost feel a bit overwhelmed by all this aphex hype coming out? Like, I thought I was a huge fan, until I realize there's a complete loving Caustic Window EP out that I had no clue about. gently caress. I think the best part of all this are his recent interviews. Richard has always been such a mystery in my eyes, and to finally get to read all this awesome poo poo about his personal life and his musical processes is just kinda unreal to me. Preordered my record as soon as I saw it was possible and yeah, just pretty much making GBS threads my pants over here. I downloaded the leak, but I refuse to listen to anything besides minipops and metz until my record arrives (hopefully tomorrow).

illestG fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 24, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Assuming the number in the track title is the bpm (??), with the exception of the produk 29 and thepiano track at the end, the album bpm is remarkably consistent in the 120-160 range

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

This is a solid album. Not exactly exploring new ground for him, but he shows how to do it right.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I'm still getting over how surreal this whole thing is. Been waiting so long and this album is fantastic.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

illestG posted:

GODDAMN. Does anyone else out there almost feel a bit overwhelmed by all this aphex hype coming out? Like, I thought I was a huge fan, until I realize there's a complete loving Caustic Window EP out that I had no clue about. gently caress. I think the best part of all this are his recent interviews. Richard has always been such a mystery in my eyes, and to finally get to read all this awesome poo poo about his personal life and his musical processes is just kinda unreal to me. Preordered my record as soon as I saw it was possible and yeah, just pretty much making GBS threads my pants over here. I downloaded the leak, but I refuse to listen to anything besides minipops and metz until my record arrives (hopefully tomorrow).

:hfive: It's absolutely mental. One of my roommates heard about the Caustic Window thing on the radio earlier this year and told me about it, knowing I'm a fan. I was just like "get the gently caress out of here." That was a mindfuck, let alone a new album. It's been so weird reading these interviews with RDJ speaking somewhat openly, talking poo poo about equal temperament and such.

Listened to the vinyls today with the roommates. This album is all about the bass. I really sense I'm missing something when I listen to it on headphones...that deep feeling in the chest. I think the album peaks at CIRCLONT6A. The first two LPs are loving incredible. It's nice to hear RDJ chopping up breaks again but papat4 and earth portal weren't holding my interest. Maybe I just need to listen to them with fresh ears.

6:20 in XMAS_EVET10 feels like christmas. also, there's a synth line that enters at 4:09 that sounds exactly like something from Melodies From Mars, but it's so hidden in the mix under the bass and pads I hardly noticed it at first.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The spikey synth noises at 03:20 of syro u473t8+e make my body do a funny wobble whenever I hear it at loud volumes.

Mnnnn.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I'll start of by saying that Aphex was never that big of a deal for me when I started to listen to this sort of music and I never really got the super idolization of RDJ. He might have been a pioneer and influenced many, but in the end stuff like that doesn't matter if I like the music or not. That said I have a couple of his albums and he's done some great tracks, but also some duds.

As for Syro, I like it. It's unmistakably RDJ twiddling the knobs on his super expensive collection of synths and having a unique and own sound is always a plus in my book. I didn't expect anything out of it and I also haven't been lamenting the fact that it's been over a decade since there's been some proper Aphex Twin material, so I approached it as with any other new album by an artist that I have enjoyed music from before. It's a solid electronic album, simple as that. Very deep and rich in texture with some funky beats and nice melodies and good production.

The first four tracks are great, the middle isn't catching my fancy until Syro and the rest of the album pick it up again. Although the finishing piano piece doesn't quite compare with some of the ones found on Drukqs, still nice though. And the Japanese bonus track is for once good and would sit well on the proper album.

I do wonder with the people who don't like it because it doesn't bring anything new or innovative, can't they just enjoy well produced good music that doesn't have anything new in them. Does it always have to be groundbreaking for them to enjoy something? Syro seems like a confident album made by someone who is comfortable with himself, knows their poo poo and really doesn't give a poo poo what someone else might think of it. And as the latest interviews have indicated RDJ apparently has crazy poo poo in store that if released is probably going to please those that want "groundbreaking" stuff, whatever that means.

my .2 units of your preferred currency

Emetic Hustler fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 24, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Syro is a way better album than RAM and the situation there was pretty similar now that i think about it...

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

toadee posted:

Among all of the other amazing things I love about this record, from a production standpoint I'd love to know how he achieves some of the 'fullness' in the bass lines. Like they are so deep and fat, without crowding out any other sounds and muddying up the spectrum, it's so perfect.

Agreed, and I've also noticed he uses a neat trick, at least it seems that way, where some sounds have a subtle, short reverb or room sound to push them to the back, or are drier to bring them up to the front - it's more noticeable on headphones but it helps to create distance and seperation between spectrally overlapping sounds without panning on the x-axis as traditionally is done.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Also I know the prevailing opinion is that 180db_ is a lame track but in a way it's the most stand out in a moronic clownstep kind of way, like it was thrown on there as a practical joke. The more and more I listen to it the more it makes me crack up, especially if you imagine a poorly lit warehouse full of pilled up Mancunians raving to it

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Parts of the album make me think it's a conversation with Luke Vibert. The groove-timed swing and super thick basslines, etc.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Not even considering composition, Syro is one of the most quality sounding albums I've ever heard. The stuff coming out of my speakers is almost tangible.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I like how the second half of Syro u473t8+e sounds a bit like a remix of CIRCLONT6A, it takes that skittery chip-tune line and makes it a bit more muted and groovy.

o.m. 94 posted:

Also I know the prevailing opinion is that 180db_ is a lame track but in a way it's the most stand out in a moronic clownstep kind of way, like it was thrown on there as a practical joke. The more and more I listen to it the more it makes me crack up, especially if you imagine a poorly lit warehouse full of pilled up Mancunians raving to it
Yeah, I thought of it more as a joke track or even the electronica version of a skit (it is a fairly short track.) It's so dumb and obnoxious, all it needed was a sick drop.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 24, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Mutation posted:

I like how the second half of Syro u473t8+e sounds a bit like a remix of CIRCLONT6A, it takes that skittery chip-tune line and makes it a bit more muted and groovy.

Yeah, I thought of it more as a joke track or even the electronica version of a skit (it is a fairly short track.) It's so dumb and obnoxious, all it needed was a sick drop.

Sod you all, I love it. Richard is not above dumb techno tunes.

http://youtu.be/SRkdKhLGyGY
http://youtu.be/-CdhM4P4SLA
http://youtu.be/K5MnU_KGdzo
http://youtu.be/kjEDX-2M7Qk

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Just listened to the whole record and really it sounds like a cumulation of all of his works under all his monikers spread across 12 tracks as opposed to being exclusive to the Aphex Twin lineage. You have slower, more organized parts that would feel at home on the Analord records (minipops), openings that feel like they've been pieced from the Select Ambient Works 85-92 tracks (XMAS_EVET).. hell, all of XMAS_EVET sounds like all his trademarks crammed into one song. The dysfunction doesn't really settle in until produk 29 and even then, it's brief. CIRCLONT6A sounds like it'd be at home coming after afx237 v7 on Drukqs.

Everything else seems to be pretty standard fare harking back to the sound he set with Drukqs mixed with his early 90s feel but is still insanely good. Hasn't RDJ said he has literally hundreds of songs sitting around ready to be published but was waiting until his divorce went through?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I wonder how much RDJ's hard drive would sell for. Like if he just went "gently caress it, here's the hard drive with all my music on it."

also this is my favorite dumb RDJ track, it sounds like the theme to a 70s pimp robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwzA7tZtKq0

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
smh if Pigeon Street isn't truly your favorite RDJ track

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think one of his best tracks is a random untitled remix, forget which album it's on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmDYGKCtSA

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Louisgod posted:

I think one of his best tracks is a random untitled remix, forget which album it's on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmDYGKCtSA

That's a remix of Flow Coma, by 808 State. One of the more important tracks in the history of Acid fyi.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

On disc 2 of '26 Mixes for Cash', and I think another small single release somewhere

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

68k posted:

On disc 2 of '26 Mixes for Cash', and I think another small single release somewhere

Yeah originally it was on '2 remixes by AFX', a limited vinyl released on 'MEN records'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Listened to the vinyl today while cleaning my apartment. Didn't make any progress because each track had something that demanded my attention. I'll be listening to this for a long time.

• Locked thread