Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Red posted:

Nah, Owen kind of dropped out of the picture around that time.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ChampRamp posted:

That's not true. Martel had a stint in early '98.

Huh, coulda sworn the Stevie Ray injury was before Bret got there.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I should point out that in 1999 or thereabouts I posted on a bunch of pro wrestling message boards that Lance Storm should win the US title and then slap a Canadian flag sticker over it to get over as a heel, then they Literally did that on the next TV broadcast.

So Vince Russo is awful AND a plagiarist.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

1st AD posted:

I should point out that in 1999 or thereabouts I posted on a bunch of pro wrestling message boards that Lance Storm should win the US title and then slap a Canadian flag sticker over it to get over as a heel, then they Literally did that on the next TV broadcast.

So Vince Russo is awful AND a plagiarist.

Were you also the guy who called into the WCW webcast to ask about the YET-AY every week?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Unfortunately I didn't have a telephone to dial with because I was on the internet listening to the webcast.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

I had that Bret Hart shirt!

People actually bought WCW merchandise outside of nWo shirts?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Everything about WCW was 10K gold and I wish that they never left us.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 25, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Felony posted:

Tons of people seemed to have bought Goldberg shirts when I was in college. Most WCW merchandise was hot garbage, though.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Felony posted:

I had a really ugly Wolfpac Sting shirt as a kid that I had to stop wearing to school because my teacher thought it was satanic.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

You have to remember that while he was Canadian by birth he still had that place in Springfield.

Next door to the Screaming Sheik?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

If you wanna ride the Hulk Hogan Raft, brother, you're gonna need to dress appropriately.

either that's a lot of words to say no black people or Hogan can't even go to his own restaurant!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 25, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you wanna ride the Hulk Hogan Raft, brother, you're gonna need to dress appropriately.

that's a lot of words to say no black people

It bans do rags, torn shirts, and baggy jeans? The Hulkster can't even go on his own ride brother, and that ain't right jack!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Bigass Moth posted:

It bans do rags, torn shirts, and baggy jeans? The Hulkster can't even go on his own ride brother, and that ain't right jack!

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Whenever I'm having a bad day Hulk Hogan jncos perks me right up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Felony posted:

WCW merchandise actually outsold nWo merchandise at most live events. Well, that might have changed after the Wolfpac, but as of 97 it is the case.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I had a Wolfpack shirt. I even bought the WCW soundtrack :kiddo:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I recently acquired a seemingly brand new DDP shirt from a thrift store so somebody bought WCW merch at one point (and then just didn't wear it).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

I had a Wolfpack shirt. I even bought the WCW soundtrack :kiddo:

Back in 2003 or so we found the WOW WCW album at a dollar store. I bought that and my friend bought a 9-11 Party Favor bag. I really wanted that bag but he got it first. I'll never forget.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Red posted:

Nah, Owen kind of dropped out of the picture around that time.

Some might say he fell out of favor with those in charge.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he died when he fell from the rafters during a live ppv (owen hart I mean)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I mean at least he didn't get framed for murder-suicide of his family

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

epitasis posted:

he died when he fell from the rafters during a live ppv (owen hart I mean)

OH!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

or paying Stevie Ray seven-hundred-and-fifty-thousand dollars? That's absurd.
I think Scott Norton was making similar money, but he was wrestling in Japan as well.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Someone went through old Observers to find WCW salary info from '98-'99:

quote:

- Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, and Eddie Guerrero got new contracts around January of 1999, reported as three years for $1,350,000 ($400,000, $450,000, $500,000) apiece.

- Mikey Whipwreck and Hak (The Sandman) were initally reported as being in the $130,000 to $200,000 per year range. Hak's deal was later confirmed as $245,000 per year for three years, but WCW used a 90 day out cycle to release him in October 1999 when cost cutting was implemented and mass releases, including Whipwreck, and renegotiations of existing deals took place.

- Warrior wanted $2,500,000 per year in 1995 when WCW approached him. That money was considered outrageous and was a motivation for creating The Renegade gimmick with the guy getting a more reasonable $150,000 per year.

- Davey Boy Smith was making $400,000 per year when cut in April of 1999.

- Rick Rude, who had been working for the WWF and ECW without a contract, jumped to WCW in November of 1997 for $300,000 per year for three years from November 1997. He made $315,000 per year in his 1991-1994 stint.

- Goldberg was making $800,000 per year in the spring of 1999 as renegotiations occurred. I think he wound up getting something in the $3,000,000 or more per year range.

- Shane Douglas wanted $350,000 from the WWF but was told "no way". I'd forgotten they even talked given his bitter departure in late 1995. It wasn't made clear what WCW gave him.

- Scott Hall made $30,000 per week in mid 1999 which adds up to $1,600,000 per year, but WCW cut his pay by 50% during his lengthy spell on the shelf that year.

- WCW offered Chris Jericho between $425,000 and $500,000 to stay, but he turned them down figuring his WWF downside would be lower, but he'd make more with a push there that WCW wouldn't give him.

- It was written that Swoll got a one year deal for $400,000 in mid 1999. Fellow No Limit Soldiers Chase Tatum and Tank also got one year deals for undisclosed terms. All were said to have been eventually released.

- $900,000 for Karl Malone, $1,000,000 for Jay Leno, $2,250,000 for Dennis Rodman, $3,500,000 for Mike Tyson, and $200,000 per Nitro appearance for Master P. The Master P thing seems a lot crazier until you count up that he made maybe half a dozen appearances. Then his pay is still dumb, but more in line with the other celebrities.

- Jesse Ventura got $350,000 per year from WCW from 1992-1994.

- Lanny Poffo was getting $75,000 and wasn't even being used by WCW.

- KISS got $500,000 to play two songs on Nitro when The Demon debuted plus additional money for the wrestler's gimmick.

- WCW paid Raven $275,000 per year.

- Tazz wanted a $450,000 downside from the WWF, while it proposed $200,000. WCW offered more, but he went with the WWF after worrying about not getting pushed in WCW.

- Scott Norton got $800,000 per year before his deal either ran out in the fall of 1999 or he was flat out cut via a 90 day out cycle.

- Vampiro was getting $350,000 per year, but the contract had 90 day out cycles that WCW executed. WCW wanted him to take $175,000 in a new deal in October 1999, later increased to $200,000 per year with the chance to make money on outside merch, and a promise see about getting some extra money to him after the crisis ended.

- Wrath had $350,000 per year until November 1999 when a 90 day review cycle was used to renegotiate him downward.

- Stevie Ray got $750,000 per year until November 1999 when a 90 day review cycle was used to renegotiate him downward.

- Alicia Webb got $60,000 as of November 1999 to valet for The Maestro.

- DDP was getting $1,300,000 as of November of 1999 with two and a half years to go. Apparently with WCW approval, since it wanted to get salaries off the books, he used his contacts with Big Show and Big Bossman to see about WWF interest. The interest was there, but not at a guarantee for that kind of money, so he stayed put.

- Tank Abbott was getting $300,000 per year.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Were the WCW and WWE contracts structured differently? It seems like the WCW ones were basically salaried positions while the WWE ones are (and were) structured with a base salary plus bonus and commission on merchandise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Were the WCW and WWE contracts structured differently? It seems like the WCW ones were basically salaried positions while the WWE ones are (and were) structured with a base salary plus bonus and commission on merchandise.

WCW's contracts were guaranteed (some lower tier contracts having 90 day termination cycles in them) but might have other incentives. You got paid X and had a maximum number of dates you had to work. This became a problem with Sting a couple of times.

WWE contracts are based on a percentage of revenue you generate with a baseline guarantee. You are paid based on house show gates, PPV, merch, etc but you cannot make less than X. These aren't really bonuses, they are how your pay is calculated.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Luigi Thirty posted:

either that's a lot of words to say no black people or Hogan can't even go to his own restaurant!

It means no black people in 2004. I'm pretty sure baggy jerseys and poo poo went out of style a long time ago. But I think it'll keep the white trash out. They still love wearing football jerseys as casual wear

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The place apparently sucks, too. Too far for me to ironically go there and deliver a trip report.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
...the gently caress?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Man, imagine if DDP had gone to WWF in 1999 when they were in serious need of star power.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bigass Moth posted:

Man, imagine if DDP had gone to WWF in 1999 when they were in serious need of star power.

Undertaker still would've thought he couldn't work and he probably still would've been buried.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Taker was out for most of 1999. DDP could've survived.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Arther Boorman wouldn't be able to walk unassisted.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

quote:

- Tazz wanted a $450,000 downside from the WWF, while it proposed $200,000. WCW offered more, but he went with the WWF after worrying about not getting pushed in WCW.

A bit of a bummer when you consider that Tazz didn't get pushed in WWF either.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luigi Thirty posted:

No loving hightops?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Strict dress codes like that for clubs are really just an excuse for bouncers to exercise 'face control' and reject anyone they want for any reason.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Just employ someone to do ocular pat downs. Much cleaner.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

WCW's contracts were guaranteed (some lower tier contracts having 90 day termination cycles in them) but might have other incentives. You got paid X and had a maximum number of dates you had to work. This became a problem with Sting a couple of times.

WWE contracts are based on a percentage of revenue you generate with a baseline guarantee. You are paid based on house show gates, PPV, merch, etc but you cannot make less than X. These aren't really bonuses, they are how your pay is calculated.

Don't they get PPV bonuses? I thought Randy Orton got $1 million for some Wrestlemania.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Charles Gnarwin posted:

A bit of a bummer when you consider that Tazz didn't get pushed in WWF either.

I thought that at first too, but Tazz did go on to have a long announcing career so I don't think he's too upset over the whole situation. If he was let go when they stopped using him in-ring it might have been a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

I thought that at first too, but Tazz did go on to have a long announcing career so I don't think he's too upset over the whole situation. If he was let go when they stopped using him in-ring it might have been a different story.

Yean and we now are punished by having him announce. Thanks a lot WWE.