Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I went to a few AT&T stores today, no luck. One guy told me they wouldn't have any more phones to sell until after Black Friday, because they have to fulfill all 4 billion preorders first. Yeah the guy said there were 4 billion preorders. A guy in a different store told me there should be more either tomorrow or Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Is there a reason everyone is trying to get theirs in a store? Is it just to get it quicker, or is there something different about buying in store?

Just to get it quicker. If you get lucky in the store, you get it today, vs. 7-10 days for the 6 or 3-4 weeks for the 6 Plus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

smackfu posted:

Just to get it quicker. If you get lucky in the store, you get it today, vs. 7-10 days for the 6 or 3-4 weeks for the 6 Plus.

Ah, alright. I was just curious because this is my first time buying an iPhone and I bought online because the Apple stores are too far. I didn't want to be making a mistake.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
The reason for me is the carriers are giving $200 in trade for an iPhone 4 which is crazy good. You can get the deal by ordering from them online too but you have to pay up front and then get the credit later when you get the new phone and trade in the old one, whereas if you buy it in-store you can use the credit toward the new one.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bunleigh posted:

The reason for me is the carriers are giving $200 in trade for an iPhone 4 which is crazy good. You can get the deal by ordering from them online too but you have to pay up front and then get the credit later when you get the new phone and trade in the old one, whereas if you buy it in-store you can use the credit toward the new one.

And you turn over your old phone on the spot right? I'm looking to upgrade my wife from the iPhone 4 to the new 6, but want to make sure everything is backed up before even going into a store to check stock.

It would be nice to have 7 days to clean things up and ship it back like the online purchase. But I understand not getting the $200 credit until they have a phone in hand.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Falco posted:

And you turn over your old phone on the spot right? I'm looking to upgrade my wife from the iPhone 4 to the new 6, but want to make sure everything is backed up before even going into a store to check stock.

It would be nice to have 7 days to clean things up and ship it back like the online purchase. But I understand not getting the $200 credit until they have a phone in hand.

I posted this over in the AT&T thread, but it might be relevant here as well. I don't know what carrier you have, but I have AT&T and traded my phones in today after the fact (got mine via Apple on Friday). I would call the store ahead of time just to confirm that you can do it though, just in case.

jiffynuts posted:

If anyone was wondering about the trade ins if you already bought the phone, I can confirm that everything is hunky dory. I got my iPhone 6 via Apple but I still wanted to trade in my old 4S and 5S after the fact. The promo they have running was still good - got $200 for the 4S and $300 for the 5S. They even applied it to my bill right then and there. Total time in the store was maybe 15 minutes. In and out pretty quick. So anyone who bought a new 6 but hasn't traded in their old shouldn't have a problem. The only thing I'm not sure of is how long their current promo lasts.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I made the mistake of waiting until the 14th to pre-order my 6+ space gray 64GB, and still got a 3-4 week estimate, placing it around October 14-21. I also ordered the black silicone case, because I hate leather because I tend to sweat through into my pockets, and sweat isn't good for leather.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Aphrodite posted:

Ah, alright. I was just curious because this is my first time buying an iPhone and I bought online because the Apple stores are too far. I didn't want to be making a mistake.

Everyone who didn't go to a store already has there and has nothing else to offer this thread.

Posted from my iPhone 6

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
What sucks is, a bunch of Apple stores around me (NYC) have the regular iPhone 6 ATT versions in stock, BUT if I try to order online with the NEXT plan from AT&T, apple.com tells me I can't do in-store pickup, and it has to be shipped to me. 7-10 day wait, but I don't know why Apple doesn't let you do ATT Next pickups...

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Axim posted:

What sucks is, a bunch of Apple stores around me (NYC) have the regular iPhone 6 ATT versions in stock, BUT if I try to order online with the NEXT plan from AT&T, apple.com tells me I can't do in-store pickup, and it has to be shipped to me. 7-10 day wait, but I don't know why Apple doesn't let you do ATT Next pickups...

I'm in a similar situation, with an added twist that the billing address for my AT&T account is on the other side of the country. I'm hoping that I can reserve a contract phone for in-store pickup, then have them activate it as a NEXT phone in store.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It is easy to walk into an Apple Store (or Best Buy or Verizon or another retail store) and pick up the Apple silicone case? It seems really, really nice... but the shipping date is 10/31 on the Apple Store site.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Killer Queen posted:

It is easy to walk into an Apple Store (or Best Buy or Verizon or another retail store) and pick up the Apple silicone case? It seems really, really nice... but the shipping date is 10/31 on the Apple Store site.

Trust me when I say the leather is leagues nicer.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

No. 6 posted:

For all you iPhone 6plus havers, it looks like the pre-orders are finally leaving China. Deliveries range from Monday through Thursday, a full week early.

Where are you seeing this? I preordered at a Sprint store and it would be great if the loving thing showed up soon.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

jiffynuts posted:

Stuff about iPhone trade-ins.

Thanks so much for the info. I didn't know about this trade in offer from Apple. I am still waiting on my 6+ in the mail at the moment, so good to know I can trade my 5 in after already purchasing a 6+.

I was gonna give someone my iPhone 5 to upgrade from their 4S, even though they are upgrade eligible, since they would be fine with my 5 and rather just save the money for now and upgrade later when it's really necessary. However, now I think with the $205 from the trade in it would be dumb to not upgrade her to the 6 right now -- with the rebate money and their upgrade eligibility a 6/64 iPhone 6 would only be like $175 bucks or so even after taxes and fees.

So, if it's as you said, once I get my 6+ and activate, I can go trade in my 5 and get the 200 bucks apple credit and use it to a pay/order a phone for someone right after?

bloodysabbath posted:

Where are you seeing this? I preordered at a Sprint store and it would be great if the loving thing showed up soon.

My 6+/128/Black shipped on Friday the 19th, via the tracker on the Apple Store website. I'm sure yours and most people's in the next batch went out around the same time, so don't freak out. You just have lovely tracking information since you ordered through a carrier. Not surprising consider carriers are poo poo at nearly everything they do except taking my money.

noirstronaut posted:

Can confirm, I got the brown leather case for my 6+ already in the mail, and it's a really nice case. Granted, I don't have the phone yet so I can't comment on its fit or durability type stuff.

Apple has gotten much better at cases over the years which is nice. Remember the terrible bumper case for the 4? Ugh. Anyway, since the silcone cases are already expensive as hell at 35 for the 6 and 40 bucks for the 6+, you might as well spend an extra measly 10 dollars and upgrade to the leather. You're already getting shafted for the cost of the case, might as well throw in another 10 bucks for the nicer case.

That is, unless you have some personal reason for not liking leather, either the vegetarian angle, or you are a sweaty goonlord like the dude a few posts above me.

Also, drat the case really put into perspective that the 6+ ain't your daddies baby sized iPhone. I printed the paper mock ups before I ordered, but somehow the case is ramming home the fact of it's size a little harder. I started with a iPhone 3g which I still have, and it's hilarious putting it next to the 6+ case. The thing is so dang dang small in comparison. It's like the size of a credit card. Looks like it's made for a 5 year old. I still think it's a good size for a phone they should still make it as an option, if not one 2g-4s sized, at least the 5 size.

I seriously never thought I would see an iPhone THIS big. Bigger yeah, but Galaxy Note sized? I wouldn't have ever guessed. Especially with the iPad mini being a thing. I'm happy to be proven wrong, I just wish they didn't abandon phones the size of the 5 or smaller in the process. Especially as someone who used to be a "I will never buy a huge phone" type of guy, who just happened to do a complete 180 on that stance when he saw the iPhone 6+.

I hope I can get used to the size of the 6+ once I get and use it for a while -- I'm pretty daunted already and I only have the case so far.

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 23, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

rear end Catchcum posted:

What do you mean officially? Even on apples website when you configure the options and pick TMO it says unlocked.

noirstronaut posted:

Some Apple store reps are saying (literally) that the T-Mobile isn't classified as unlocked. It's hard to explain. However, in short, yes, the T-Mobile phone is unlocked.

Officially the T-Mobile phone is carrier free, not unlocked. Literally every page on Apple's website says this if you bothered to look it up.

In real life the T-Mobile and Verizon phones (and att? So all?) seem to come unlocked as well, but since Apple doesn't say this on their website then I think thats why the CSRs tell you they're not unlocked.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Boris Galerkin posted:

Officially the T-Mobile phone is carrier free, not unlocked. Literally every page on Apple's website says this if you bothered to look it up.

In real life the T-Mobile and Verizon phones (and att? So all?) seem to come unlocked as well, but since Apple doesn't say this on their website then I think thats why the CSRs tell you they're not unlocked.

Verizon phones are only unlocked because of hardware limitations (or lack thereof, rather) AT&T phones are not unlocked at all. And T-Mobile phones are actually unlocked because that's just, like, how it is.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

Maybe I'll see how both feel in my hands first, but I also feel like the leather would degrade much more quickly than silicone. My 5S leather case, while a wonderful case despite, was super dirty after a couple months. The price isn't really the concern for me.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

What, in your mind, is the difference?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Killer Queen posted:

My Apple store had every case color but the white silicone 6+ case. I got the red silicone and I really like it. I'll probably end up caseless but I wanted something while I get used to the size (I have a 6+) and for when I'm planning on being out and drunk.

I wanted a not black case and I remember the red/other colors getting rather messed up looking after a short period of time. The silicone case is fantastic, has the same lining the leather cases do and my red one looks brand new still (as you'd hope) after 4 days.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Damo posted:

Thanks so much for the info. I didn't know about this trade in offer from Apple. I am still waiting on my 6+ in the mail at the moment, so good to know I can trade my 5 in after already purchasing a 6+.

This was through At&t itself in one of their company stores. The credit I got was one of those AT&T debit cards, which I had applied directly to my bill.

I guess you could do it via apple, but I don't know how much money you'd get, and it would be an apple gift card as well. So I guess just pick and choose wisely.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The main argument against the Apple silicone case is that there are dozens of $10 alternatives on Amazon.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Verizon phones are only unlocked because of hardware limitations (or lack thereof, rather)

All Verizon LTE capable phones are unlocked because they're federally mandated to be so, it's part of a deal they agreed to for access to one of the LTE bands the government had been using. Has nothing to do with the hardware inside the phone outside of an LTE chipset, which means it has to be unlocked.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

smackfu posted:

The main argument against the Apple silicone case is that there are dozens of $10 alternatives on Amazon.

Except none of them are anywhere near as well made as the apple one. The apple one fits perfect, has a nice lining, isn't super floppy so it stays on and the silicone is smooth enough to go in and out of pockets without much hassle. Sure it costs more than it should, but I'd argue that the Apple case (either material) is the best case out right now.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

jiffynuts posted:

This was through At&t itself in one of their company stores. The credit I got was one of those AT&T debit cards, which I had applied directly to my bill.

I guess you could do it via apple, but I don't know how much money you'd get, and it would be an apple gift card as well. So I guess just pick and choose wisely.

Apple's website has a thingy that lets you know how much you would get for a trade in. It said $205 bucks for a good condition iPhone 5.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

No. 6 posted:

What, in your mind, is the difference?

I was phone posting but I meant to say officially on the website the T-Mobile phone is "contract free", not unlocked. The difference is that an unlocked phone means that it isn't locked to any provider, while a contract free phone only means you buy it at full price/without a contract. They are not one and the same. A phone can be off contract and locked to a service provider (iPhones used to be like this), they can be off contract and unlocked (like the current T-Mobile phone apparently), on contract and unlocked (Verizon phone, if not paying full price), and on contract and locked (ATT like the other guy said in this page).

There is a huge difference between unlocked and contract free.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was phone posting but I meant to say officially on the website the T-Mobile phone is "contract free", not unlocked. The difference is that an unlocked phone means that it isn't locked to any provider, while a contract free phone only means you buy it at full price/without a contract. They are not one and the same. A phone can be off contract and locked to a service provider (iPhones used to be like this), they can be off contract and unlocked (like the current T-Mobile phone apparently), on contract and unlocked (Verizon phone, if not paying full price), and on contract and locked (ATT like the other guy said in this page).

There is a huge difference between unlocked and contract free.

Yes, which is what goes hand-in-hand to what Apple is telling people and what that guy said. The T-Mobile phone is unlocked, but it's not listed as being unlocked "officially"

e: Oh you're responding to the guy who said it was listed as unlocked. Either way, yes, it's unlocked.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 23, 2014

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
imei.info has been down for ages, is there a good (free) place to check the unlock status of a phone?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

jiffynuts posted:

I posted this over in the AT&T thread, but it might be relevant here as well. I don't know what carrier you have, but I have AT&T and traded my phones in today after the fact (got mine via Apple on Friday). I would call the store ahead of time just to confirm that you can do it though, just in case.

The Verizon stores, at least in my area won't do it. They require you to buy the iPhone 6 through Verizon either through the store or online, although none of the stores have stock at all. So we'll go the backorder route, and just be patient.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

iPhone 6 ploos would have come today, but it got hung up in customs. Thanks stebe

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.
Yeah, mine was scheduled for early delivery Monday and has now been updated to Wednesday. Still better than Oct 1-6 but now that it said Monday I'm feeling quite bratty about the delay!

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Is the "personal pickup" stock that they put up on the online store separate stock from that they keep for walk-ins?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

iPhone 6 ploos would have come today, but it got hung up in customs. Thanks stebe

Mine has claimed for some time (UPS, that is) that it will come Thursday.) I'm good with that. However, also being bratty, I noticed that my wife's phone took the same logistics path, and my phone is where her phone was the DAY before it was delivered. So... maybe tomorrow? (I'm sure I'll be disappointed.) :p

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So I've been waiting to buy a TMobile iphone 6, and there haven't been any available in any apple store near me. They do have Verizon phones, since it's unlocked and apparently the same phone, can I just buy that one for cash without a plan and head over to tmobile for a sim? or would I have to sign up for a plan from Verizon?

Sorry new to this iphone stuff

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

blugu64 posted:

So I've been waiting to buy a TMobile iphone 6, and there haven't been any available in any apple store near me. They do have Verizon phones, since it's unlocked and apparently the same phone, can I just buy that one for cash without a plan and head over to tmobile for a sim? or would I have to sign up for a plan from Verizon?

Sorry new to this iphone stuff

Yes, you can do exactly what you described. Technically, it's even better since you would have the option to use it on Verizon if you ever wanted to do so.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

clockworx posted:

Yes, you can do exactly what you described. Technically, it's even better since you would have the option to use it on Verizon if you ever wanted to do so.

drat, I'll give that a shot, been waiting all week for the tmobile model to pop up. Thanks.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Sprint store in the Bay Area

"I assume you still have no iPhone 6 Pluses in, right?"
"Nah, nothing yet."
"Alright. If I decide I don't want to wait anymore and cancel the preorder, how annoying would that be?"
"Well, wait, what was your name again?"
"Goony McGoonerson."
"Oh, yours is actually the only 6 Plus that came in. Here you go!"

This thing is huge and I absolutely adore it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DarkestLite posted:

Sprint store in the Bay Area

"I assume you still have no iPhone 6 Pluses in, right?"
"Nah, nothing yet."
"Alright. If I decide I don't want to wait anymore and cancel the preorder, how annoying would that be?"
"Well, wait, what was your name again?"
"Goony McGoonerson."
"Oh, yours is actually the only 6 Plus that came in. Here you go!"

This thing is huge and I absolutely adore it.

Yeah but you stole that guy's phone, you douche.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm seriously considering selling my iphone 6 for a 5s. Figure I could get $300 or so out of the deal. I honestly GREATLY prefer the 5s body to the 6. I've so far launched the 6 out of my hand 3 times (no damage, wood floors, case is enroute). Is anyone in the same boat or have you traded down? It seems like I'm one of the few that actually really liked the 5s body. It feels.. sturdy. Like it will hold up 3-4 years. My 6 feels like your run of the mill Android phone that I need to replace every year.

vty fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 25, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On the bright side, if you don't need a new one there's literally like a dozen in SA Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

vty posted:

I'm seriously considering selling my iphone 6 for a 5s. Figure I could get $300 or so out of the deal. I honestly GREATLY prefer the 5s body to the 6. I've so far launched the 6 out of my hand 3 times (no damage, wood floors, case is enroute). Is anyone in the same boat or have you traded down? It seems like I'm one of the few that actually really liked the 5s body. It feels.. sturdy.

This is about unhelpful of a post as they come, but why not just slap an Otterbox onto it (or at least see how your current case bulks it up). I have a 5c and as much as I like the phone being naked and neon green, its incredibly more satisfying to hold with the extra weight and bulk. I'd say it's worth sticking around with it for a few weeks. You might not get a as much money back, but I think it's worth it since it's more up to date and presumably faster.

• Locked thread